Jake Melksham

Sir Why You Little

4 hours ago, Premiers said:

This may seem a bit odd but would Melksham back at Ess work?

They have a very young team with only Hurley over 30.   I don't know their team very well but not sure they have many experienced forwards or forward depth.  Melksham would have less competition for games at Ess than the Dees.

Their rebuild is a few years behind ours so it would be like us bringing in Cross, Vince, Lewis.to support the younger teammates.

At this stage they have picks 11, 48 and 53.  By some accounts they have a bit of sal cap space.  So they might give up a late pick and take over his salary.  Win, win, win.

Just a thought bubble

melk for AMT i can see that ;)

5 hours ago, brendan said:

Surely Geelong is interested he is at the right age for them 

5 hours ago, DubDee said:

He could go to the Cats.

Might lower their average age if he does 😂

It sounds dumb. But he would be a pretty good fit down there. They are in for a world of pain. They need to rebuild and have no picks.

If i were the list manager and had a magic wand, I would delist both Higgins and Dalhause and pick up Melksham for next to nothing.

It would move on a bit of deadwood, improve the best 22 for 2022 and allow them a bit more time to prepare for the rebuild.

Giving up 3 good picks for Cameron is going to look so stupid in a year or two. They gave up 15, 18 and 25.

They could have brought in Connor Stone, Finlay Macrae, Max Holmes and Brayden Cook last year and be well into a rebuild already.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Premiers said:

This may seem a bit odd but would Melksham back at Ess work?

They have a very young team with only Hurley over 30.   I don't know their team very well but not sure they have many experienced forwards or forward depth.  Melksham would have less competition for games at Ess than the Dees.

Their rebuild is a few years behind ours so it would be like us bringing in Cross, Vince, Lewis.to support the younger teammates.

At this stage they have picks 11, 48 and 53.  By some accounts they have a bit of sal cap space.  So they might give up a late pick and take over his salary.  Win, win, win.

Just a thought bubble

I had that thought too. Back to Essendon. Has it been long enough?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A F said:

I had that thought too. Back to Essendon. Has it been long enough?

It's been long enough for Essendon to get a coach who knows what he's doing. And a handy head of footy too.

The list of teams interested in Melksham surely has to start with the clubs who don't value pressure. Or in other words aren't very smart.

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

It's been long enough for Essendon to get a coach who knows what he's doing. And a handy head of footy too.

The list of teams interested in Melksham surely has to start with the clubs who don't value pressure. Or in other words aren't very smart.

Is that comment necessary.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BAMF said:

Giving up 3 good picks for Cameron is going to look so stupid in a year or two. They gave up 15, 18 and 25.

They could have brought in Connor Stone, Finlay Macrae, Max Holmes and Brayden Cook last year and be well into a rebuild already.

They got the 2 decent second rounders back. Essendon and GWS made those picks slightly higher than you'd like but at the end of the day they downgraded from the most compromised draft of all time to solid picks in a more open and exposed draft.

Jeremy Cameron is going to give you better games of footy for years to come than Conor Stone I'd imagine. Or certainly better than most pick 15's if Stone is an outlier.

They traded up for Holmes, who I assume they liked as much or more than Macrae. Maybe they could've had both, but let's assume they were unlikely to get both of those guys. Is one of those better than pick 30 this year - yes. But how much better? If the Cats come away with a Sparrow, Jordon, Spargo or Fritsch this year probably aren't worried.

Then Brayden Cook for pick 32 this year. There's no real difference there. 

It's a bit like when we gave up 2 firsts for Lever but got a 2nd rounder back and used it on Petty. The downgrade from late first to second is severely overrated. Cameron for pick 15 and change - you do that every day of the week unless you're so committed to a rebuild that you're looking at trading away players. If you've just lost a grand final then end up seconds from being top of the ladder in round 23 it's a great deal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

They got the 2 decent second rounders back. Essendon and GWS made those picks slightly higher than you'd like but at the end of the day they downgraded from the most compromised draft of all time to solid picks in a more open and exposed draft.

Jeremy Cameron is going to give you better games of footy for years to come than Conor Stone I'd imagine. Or certainly better than most pick 15's if Stone is an outlier.

They traded up for Holmes, who I assume they liked as much or more than Macrae. Maybe they could've had both, but let's assume they were unlikely to get both of those guys. Is one of those better than pick 30 this year - yes. But how much better? If the Cats come away with a Sparrow, Jordon, Spargo or Fritsch this year probably aren't worried.

It's a bit like when we gave up 2 firsts for Lever but got a 2nd rounder back and used it on Petty. The downgrade from late first to second is severely overrated. Cameron for pick 15 and change - you do that every day of the week unless you're so committed to a rebuild that you're looking at trading away players. If you've just lost a grand final then end up seconds from being top of the ladder in round 23 it's a great deal.

They brought in Jeremy Cameron specifically to win them a flag. They thought with their list age demographic and experience he would be the final piece to the puzzle.

If they win the flag next year then yes it's a huge win for them in terms of trade.

So far it's a fail.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

They brought in Jeremy Cameron specifically to win them a flag. They thought with their list age demographic and experience he would be the final piece to the puzzle.

If they win the flag next year then yes it's a huge win for them in terms of trade.

So far it's a fail.

After 2 crushing defeats by us and a convincing loss to Port to end the year. Can’t see them making finals next year! 
Big call, more hopefully than anything!

I want to add it to ever growing list of recent achievements. 
Like the last time Hawks played in a final…

… and It was Jake Melksham who killed them off

Edited by Marty
Add the link to Jake
  • Like 1

Just now, Marty said:

After 2 crushing defeats by us and a convincing loss to Port to end the year. Can’t see them making finals next year! 
Big call, more hopefully than anything!

I want to add it to ever growing list of recent achievements. 
Like the last time Hawks played in a final…

I dont think they make finals also. They're absolutely cooked.

• Like 2

The advantage Geelong has over the rest of the competition is they play at least 9 games at Kardinia Park so you pencil in 9 wins this is why they have had great runs over the years. Then they only have to win 3 other games to make the finals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, durango said:

The advantage Geelong has over the rest of the competition is they play at least 9 games at Kardinia Park so you pencil in 9 wins this is why they have had great runs over the years. Then they only have to win 3 other games to make the finals.

Rubbish.

They lost to us and GWS and were down 24 points against St Kilda as well. They also should have lost to Brisbane had it not been for the debacle umpiring which cost the Lions the match in the last minute of the game.

They're not as invincible as they use to be down at GMHBA stadium 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, durango said:

They lost 2 of their last 3 at home this season (v us and GWS). The home advantage won't save them from the cliff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

So far it's a fail.

In making a prelim then getting smashed by the eventual premiers in Perth they still had what would equal the best season for Melbourne from 2001-2020. That's without the sliding doors moment of what happens if Gawn is spoiled or misses the goal in round 23.

If they ignored Cameron and picked Conor Stone with pick 15 and he played 3 games and looked ok does it drastically change their future? Or does he get added to the pile with Clark, Constable, Cooper Stephens, Narkle as younger players who might be something but won't get much of a look in.

When they do pull the pin on this older group Cameron will given them something to kick to for 4 or so years, will help a young sidekick develop and will keep some experience and talent at the club so they don't end up without any veteran savvy.

In the mean time they'll try to go again and they've been threatening to fall in a heap since about 2010 and are yet to do so. It's almost certainly going to happen at some stage of Cameron's career but that doesn't mean it was wrong to get him.

The Cats have made some bad mistakes lately IMO. Giving up a real draft pick for Shaun Higgins. Bringing in Jack Steven and Josh Jenkins. Not getting a ruckman. Pretending Gary Rohan will play well in finals. Failing to develop Jordan Clark. Pick 15 for Cameron even if the best they do is a prelim isn't one of them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

So far it's a fail.

Cats are GONE, We ran there old aging midfield of their feet and they will be another year older and slower next year. Tipping Cats to not get the usual dream run of games against weak sides at [censored] stadium and also to fall out of the 8 next year. About time !

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Rubbish.

They lost to us and GWS and were down 24 points against St Kilda as well. They also should have lost to Brisbane had it not been for the debacle umpiring which cost the Lions the match in the last minute of the game.

They're not as invincible as they use to be down at GMHBA stadium 

And needed a kick after the siren to beat the Dogs.

I think they make the 8 next year, but it'll be more like their 2018 year, where they're no real threat to anyone.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, A F said:

And needed a kick after the siren to beat the Dogs.

I think they make the 8 next year, but it'll be more like their 2018 year, where they're no real threat to anyone.

Oh yes forgot about that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Great point. I knew they got some steak knives back but didnt realise it was two 2nd round picks. They could use a couple to move up the order which may make the deal a bit more favourable.

Cameron will be wasted in a rebuilding side. They have so many older players that will already showing the kids how to train etc.  They will be delisting/retiring 3 or 4 a year for 4 years 2022 - 2026 unless some star players are tapped on the shoulder earlier than needed. They wont be able to rebuild quick enough to challenge again with Cameron.

I'm not writting the cats off in 2022, but their chances are less than 2021 and its 2022 or bust. If they lose games early then they are in real trouble.

Edited by BAMF

The demise of Geelong is a bit like our premiership felt to me about a month ago - a real possibility but I’ll believe it when I see it.

A team that consistently makes preliminary finals, did so again this year, and was leading a GF only 12 months ago is hard to write off even though the list profile is unsustainable.

They’ll fall off a cliff eventually, but I recall the same sort of discussion after 2010 and they won the flag the next year.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Radar Detector said:

The demise of Geelong is a bit like our premiership felt to me about a month ago - a real possibility but I’ll believe it when I see it.

A team that consistently makes preliminary finals, did so again this year, and was leading a GF only 12 months ago is hard to write off even though the list profile is unsustainable.

They’ll fall off a cliff eventually, but I recall the same sort of discussion after 2010 and they won the flag the next year.

Yes. I seem to recall Tom Harley commentating a game and saying it felt like "The end of an era" about 10 years ago.

These bastards have simply kept on going strong.They have been on top the whole time we have been on the bottom.

There is a reason why we are luxuriating in their imminent demise: Pure Jealousy.

They have really backed themselves into a corner now though. The way their list has evolved, they have had no real choice but to top up with older support players to give their superstar list a few more chances of getting a flag. The last two years have been their best shot at the premiership and they came so close to justify the list strategy

They could freshen up their game plan and give it a shake again next year but they have limited good young players coming through.  Like the Dwarfs of Moria, they have delved too greedily and too deep. 

I hope their rebuild is long, slow and hard.

• Like 1

History has consistently shown, teams that get belted by 70+ points in finals, don’t make the 8 next year.

If Geelong have a dream run with injuries like we did this year, then maybe. Based on age demographic, more likely to be a string of soft tissue injuries than a dream run.