CHANGES: GF vs Bulldogs

Demonland

22 hours ago, Boots and all said:

Whoever it is needs to hit him hard. Make him second guess his attack on the footy.

Sparrow will be the man in the absence of AVB. He's clever and careful, yet very capable.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I reckon May plays.  The club said the hamstring is related to his back.  This is consistent with May missing a game late in the season for back issues.  He missed one week.  He now has two weeks to rest up.  

When Hibberd was dropped post Bulldgos, Bowey came in and has cemented his spot and the team included Hunt.  The only changes we've had since were for injuries utilising Smith then Hibberd when Smith went out.. 

Based on that recent history I think our selection order is Hunt, Smith then Hibberd.

Our 'settled' team is with Hunt and if fit I think he will come in for Hibberd.  Hunt's speed will be an asset vs the fast wbd mid sized wds.

I don't envy selectors.  Some worthy players will miss out on a dream to have a chance at a premiership.

Thought I heard on the first crack, they weren't even scanning it.

• Like 2

Hunt would be an ideal sub IMO. Was going along very nicely in the backline before injury. Brings the pace, as well as both defensive and offensive intent. Can play back, forward or wing if needed. 

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 8

Assuming May plays, I can't see us changing the 22. Our bottom few players all played well enough.

Hibberd for Smith might be something they consider but having two players with hamstring issues is a risk. Hibberd was ok against the Cats and he makes sense to play on Weightman.

Bowey played a very good game and will keep Hunt out of the starting 22.

Spargo was excellent.

Sparrow has become a lock in the last few weeks with three strong games.

TMac looked to move really well again. I could see him ripping apart the Grand Final. He will also be good insurance if we get an injury to a tall.

Rivers had a poor game but is able to play tall and small and we won't want to make a change to the side.

Jordon was OK as sub and found a bit of the ball.

If Hunt is fit I would probably bring him in as sub to replace Jordon. I think he is more dynamic and with May questionable it would be worth having another defender who knows the system if he goes down. The sub will almost definitely be used and I could see Hunt's pace breaking the game open in the last quarter, which is something we might need if we fall behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, durango said:

I would make 2 changes bring in Hunt and play Rivers on the wing moving Brayshaw to the midfield and Smith 23 man with Sparrow missing out.

Why on earth would Rivers play on a wing? Not only has he never played on a wing this year, the last thing you want to do is make outlandish changes in a grand final.

Rivers can easily do the job on Weightman.

• Like 9

Agreeing with a lot of comments, think Hibberd may be lucky and be retained.

Expect a battle between Hunt & JJ for the MediSub which will be quite cruel on them both.

Things can happen at training though, got lots of training to get through first.

• Like 1

Backing in Goodwin to make the right choices. 

And Burgess to get May back on the park. 

I think Petty gets Naughton. Naughton gets up and back and leaps.  Petty can nullify him.  May gets the job on English to body him out.  

Smith Weightman Hannan are the dangers. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, Stretch Johnson said:

This will probably go down like a lead balloon.   

If fit I would bring in Joel Smith to play on Naughton.  He is the only one with the athleticism to go with him.  It's a perfect match up   I would bring him in for Hibberd who has been solid but he is clearly slowing down and is now limited athletically.

I would like to see Hunt come back in as well.  Trent Rivers has had some very good moments and several very shaky ones.  I believe Hunt will give us a little bit more speed which will be important both offensively and defensively against the dogs.  

We will probably remain unchanged.

Don't mind the Smith to Naughton move, but disagree on the Hunt for Rivers. Could see Hunt as the sub though, provided he's absolutely fit. Think they might go with Petty to Naughton though.

23 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I'd be sending James Harmes straight to Bailey Smith. he's been the match winner the last 2 games. if you can at least prevent him from kicking goals, you go a long way to blunting the dogs. 

Smith also has no defensive game as evidenced by their losses at the back end of the season. He's all offence around stoppages. Think this is a really good match up, mate. So he keeps Smith honest offensively and then stretches him on the rebound. I like it.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Why on earth would Rivers play on a wing? Not only has he never played on a wing this year, the last thing you want to do is make outlandish changes in a grand final.

Rivers can easily do the job on Weightman.

I guess you never played any football in your life since we need a defender on Bailey Smith and Brayshaw in a very good Midfielder and Hunt will replace the run of Rivers.

Also Rivers played as a midfielder in the WA Colts or WA team?

He plays like a wingman on the half back flank.

When I coach Junior Football often you had to make decision like moving good players for the team to spots they never played before.

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, A F said:

Don't mind the Smith to Naughton move, but disagree on the Hunt for Rivers. Could see Hunt as the sub though, provided he's absolutely fit. Think they might go with Petty to Naughton though.

Smith also has no defensive game as evidenced by their losses at the back end of the season. He's all offence around stoppages. Think this is a really good match up, mate. So he keeps Smith honest offensively and then stretches him on the rebound. I like it.

I agree, i think given Smiths age, Harmes could all but stop any influence he's likely to have on the game, and given he was the match winner against the Lions and probably been the player of the finals, that's a huge win. 

in terms of the rest of the mids, i'd love to see us go head to head. back ourselves in to beat theme

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I agree, i think given Smiths age, Harmes could all but stop any influence he's likely to have on the game, and given he was the match winner against the Lions and probably been the player of the finals, that's a huge win. 

in terms of the rest of the mids, i'd love to see us go head to head. back ourselves in to beat theme

I think Viney's the sort of player that can go head to head with a Libba around stoppages, but if Libba moves to half forward, one, they lose his influence around stoppages, and two, Sparrow can go to him at half back, leaving Viney as the defensive mid in the stoppage.

I reckon we've got the right midfield balance at the moment to deal with them. Harmes and Sparrow as defensive mids, Oliver and Petracca as the offensive mids, and Viney covering both bases. 

• Like 1

I think I'd prefer Hunt to Hibberd - just a little more versatile in that he's able to play forward. I fear that Weightman would be too 'agile' for Hibbo although it may be Bowser on Cody. If Gus was too slow for Smith then Hunt could take him and Gus to Hannan may be an option.

• Like 1

Dogs looking at up to 3 changes to their team, the incredible thing is the amount of players used, and changes made and they haven't suffered with any real lack of chemistry. to me it speaks to elite allignment between AFL and VFL. 

It's hard to imagine the Doggies won't hit a bit of a wall as this goes on given all the travel they've had to do in the last 5-6 weeks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, durango said:

I guess you never played any football in your life since we need a defender on Bailey Smith and Brayshaw in a very good Midfielder and Hunt will replace the run of Rivers.

Also Rivers played as a midfielder in the WA Colts or WA team?

He plays like a wingman on the half back flank.

When I coach Junior Football often you had to make decision like moving good players for the team to spots they never played before.

After reading I would hope you're not in charge of coaching in any level.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Hunt would be an ideal sub IMO. Was going along very nicely in the backline before injury. Brings the pace, as well as both defensive and offensive intent. Can play back, forward or wing if needed. 

I’m in your camp on Hunt, if he was fully fit (which given he wasn’t named as an emergency I don’t think he was) then I was advocating this move for exactly the reasons you’ve mentioned. I also don’t feel like Jordon is an impact player, he’s more of a spare tyre for the midfield. 

I’m definitely voting for no change to the line up with Hunt becoming the sub. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

After reading I would hope you're not in charge of coaching in any level.

At least I did coach football and win 3 premiership in Under age football which I guess you never even got near a football, I also played for my school team and played 1 reserve grade match for the MFC when they had runout of fit players in 1981.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, durango said:

At least I did coach football and win 3 premiership in Under age football which I guess you never even got near a football, I also played for my school team and played 1 reserve grade match for the MFC when they had runout of fit players in 1981.

Durango to put it simple..

Trent Rivers WON'T be playing on a wing. Never has at the Dees and no way in [censored] hell will they then just chuck him in that position on grand final day.

He'll be playing down back and most likely take Weightman. 

Smith who has played majority on the wing and inside will most likely go head to head with Langdon. If he does go inside then maybe perhaps he'll go with a Oliver or Petracca as Viney will do the tag on Libratore 

Edited by dazzledavey36

Picture of a smiling Stephen May out on the track, just posted on Demons social media. 

No way he’d be out there if there was any genuine concern. Great, great stuff!

Edited by Mel Bourne