PF: Melbourne vs Geelong

Demonland

3 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

I am not saying that he will be playing. I am analysing why he is training with our top squad. This is something that I would like to know, particularly at the training level, to attempt to understand what he is bringing to our preparation (so far, twice in the past week). Alternatively, it may be a decoy to unwelcome observers from Geelong FC or some other purpose, and why? As i stated, inquisitive I do remain whilst also speculative and reasoned in a circumstance where someone on DL might have a more accurate knowledge than my humble reasonings.

The entire list is in Perth and training at the moment.

Having the whole squad means we got to run an intraclub on the weekend.

• Like 2

Not sure if its me but in all of the interviews of players, club officials etc that i have seen are in stark contrast to the Cats. The Cats seem to be quite casual and bordering on arrogance about the PF, whilst we seem to value and respect the difficulty and enormity of the occasion. Our desperation just seems to come through a little more.  

If it not just me, then it is is an interesting insight into the opposing philosophies. Particularly where we have come from in times gone past. 

Im not sure how to read it and what it actually means, but it is interesting nonetheless. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, CYB said:

Not sure if its me but in all of the interviews of players, club officials etc that i have seen are in stark contrast to the Cats. The Cats seem to be quite casual and bordering on arrogance about the PF, whilst we seem to value and respect the difficulty and enormity of the occasion. Our desperation just seems to come through a little more.  

If it not just me, then it is is an interesting insight into the opposing philosophies. Particularly where we have come from in times gone past. 

Im not sure how to read it and what it actually means, but it is interesting nonetheless. 

I have noticed this also but I think it is deliberate from the Cats. I think they think their best chance is for us to choke on the big stage. That swarmy smile from Selwood was a give away.

they have been dismissing the round 23 choke from them as not mattering as they were already in the top 4 - even though they go smashed by Port away.  and they have not acknowledged the loss to Port either.

Man I would love to see that smile wiped off Selwood's face

• Like 13

2 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Fun fact, the chemical reaction that happens in your brain that makes you feel nervous is the exact same chemical reaction that happens when you feel excited.

So scientifically yes, you are choosing to be nervous.

Cheers for that.  I've just told myself to relax and I'm in a world of bliss! 

not even anxious about covid, work or homeschooling anymore!

• Haha 7

16 minutes ago, tbrookes3 said:

Could we add Queensland supporters too please….we’re not allowed into WA either (without quarantine for 14 days) 😢

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nicko said:

FDFC3BB6-FCEB-4413-90F4-ECE687490819.thumb.jpeg.163597b6c2e92524abd00730c5995e09.jpeg

You were very quick.

I realised my error and have edited out my post.

Yes, Queenslanders should be included.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I have noticed this also but I think it is deliberate from the Cats. I think they think their best chance is for us to choke on the big stage. That swarmy smile from Selwood was a give away.

they have been dismissing the round 23 choke from them as not mattering as they were already in the top 4 - even though they go smashed by Port away.  and they have not acknowledged the loss to Port either.

Man I would love to see that smile wiped off Selwood's face

There's no doubt they are trying to put the pressure on us after our last PF. All their talk is centred on it. They have played in 11 of the last 15 prelims  but their finals record is really poor since Scott won the flag in his first year in 2011.. Make no mistake, if Geelong lose the monkey on their back will be massive. 

But it wont work. We're a well drilled unit and if you go back to all our big games this year we have been 'under the pump' in all of them.

• Rd 4 against Geelong
  • Rd 6 Richmond on Anzac Eve
  • Rd 11 The Dogs at Marvel 
  • Rd 12  & Final The lions 
  • Rd 17 Prt at Adelaide
  • Rd 21 v West Coast at Optus
  • Rd 23 v Geelong at Kardinia

Our system gives the team belief. We have been building our 'big game' form and are relaxed and rested with a full list.

The pressure is all on geelong that is 1-4 in the last 5 prelims. Scott is trying to avert that pressure on to us.

It won't work

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

What's there to be nervous about? We win - brilliant. We don't - the sun still comes up on Saturday. Us supporters have 0 influence over the result. No point worrying about what one cannot control. We are going to win anyway.

I admire your optimism.

But for some it’s more of an issue here. Not to get too personal, but my uncle (a lifelong demon fan) has terminal cancer. We know that this will definitely be his last grand final (we’re really hoping he makes it to Christmas.) My dad is not in the best health either. 

For many demonland fans here, time is running out. This may be the last chance for a few of us. If not, I’m sure I have a few here have relatives that don’t have a lot of time left.

Many people see that chances don’t always come around. Seasons 1989 and 2001 proved that. If we don’t make the best of this, we may not get a better chance and this is by far the best chance we’ve had since 1964. If we don’t win it, this may have been the one chance to win that we lost.

I’m certainly not going to do anything drastic if we lose, but there will plenty of tears in my eyes and I will be inconsolable for days 

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 7
  • Thinking 1

Another point to add to the mix when considering what Round 23 says about the prelim.

When Geelong hit 44 points up, the scoreline was 11.2.68 to 3.6.24.

So that was 13 scoring shots to 9.

Four more scoring shots does not often equate to a 44 point lead. But it did that night.

So much of what they did in the second quarter just...worked. We were off, sure, but they could not have capitalised any more. They didn't miss a shot on goal, the ball bounced the right way (literally, for the Cameron goal in the goalsquare), frees went their way both in terms of what was paid and what wasn't (e.g. Dangerfield running very close to the limit, if not beyond, twice in succession).

I'd argue that, 9 times out of 10 (or more), Geelong wouldn't get up to a 44 point lead with the amount of time we spent "off".

• Like 11

Happy for the cats to talk themselves up and try to convince themselves and their supporters they are the better side. but look up the ladder and you see Melbourne FC on Top. Look at the games you played and who you lost to and you see Melbourne FC. They knew what they had to do to beat melbourne after their first lose early in the season and still failed. So knowing what to do, and being able to execute  it are two different things. Melbourne by 27points.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dannyz said:

I can reveal there is an injury to a player in the 22 and therefore there will be a forced change. It isn't a key player and won't change the balance greatly. 

Can't just name the player?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

I can reveal there is an injury to a player in the 22 and therefore there will be a forced change. It isn't a key player and won't change the balance greatly. 

We're not playing hangman 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CYB said:

Yep those are the two that came to mind as well. 

could also be ANB given his calf corky maybe more significant than Richo was letting on.

ANB would change the balance. Is a key player, not least because there isn't really a clear replacement for his role with his aerobic capacity 

• Like 5