Richo’s Praise of Luke Jackson

Demonland

If Jackson follows the common trajectory of ruckman who reach their peak mid to late 20's, we will have a hall of fame, multiple Brownlow winner on our hands.

His improvement to this point has been staggering.

1 hour ago, Hatchman said:

Be prepared for either the Eagles or the Dockers to throw the absolute kitchen sink of all kitchen sinks at him.

Mark my words, it's going to happen

As they should - I just hope it lines up with May, McDonald or Gawn coming down in their price tag or coming off the books entirely.

Gawn, May, Lever, Petracca, Oliver, and McDonald would all be on north of $700k a year. There is a point at which promising kids will be squeezed out if we can’t get near their value.

I also think that the idea of ‘players will take pay cuts to keep people when that happens’ is now BS. I heard that Gawn already took less than market (certainly less than Grundy lol), and Petracca absolutely took less than his market at $900k a year. So they have already taken less to allow flexibility- there is no more discounts to be had. 

I also think it’s poor form but this belongs in a different thread.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

I think what transfers well is the philosophy behind playing. In basketball you are a bit less "see ball get ball" and are thinking about the play to create an open shot ie: putting on the block and creating space for the team mate to gather the ball.

I think its something Dogga does particularly well when in the middle

Great point. The way he delays the handball and uses all of his time to draw the defence is a thing of beauty.

This is why I think he'll play his best footy on the ball. He needs to be in traffic where his calmness, instincts and peripheral vision take over.

That said, he has developed his contested marking so quickly that it's scary to think what he might become.

As others have said, Max's influence should not be understated.

Let's not forget, Max developed into an amazing player despite the MFC, not because of it. LJ now has the perfect mentor and a great organisation behind him - I'm confident he'll become the best player he can be.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

As they should - I just hope it lines up with May, McDonald or Gawn coming down in their price tag or coming off the books entirely.

Gawn, May, Lever, Petracca, Oliver, and McDonald would all be on north of $700k a year. There is a point at which promising kids will be squeezed out if we can’t get near their value.

I also think that the idea of ‘players will take pay cuts to keep people when that happens’ is now BS. I heard that Gawn already took less than market (certainly less than Grundy lol), and Petracca absolutely took less than his market at $900k a year. So they have already taken less to allow flexibility- there is no more discounts to be had. 

I also think it’s poor form but this belongs in a different thread.

I suspect that they have tried to manage this quite as best they can with loading contracts etc.

Levers extension I think was reported as a reduction in salary, Petraccas was likely front loaded. Oliver's extension was 2 years only lining him up for his turn for monster contract when ready.

The risk is if LJ has come on quicker than expected and we don't have the cap space early enough. But I'm guessing we expected him to be target of a go home raid by WCE looking to replace NicNat, so probably planned for it already.

• Like 1

significant players coming off contract this year...

• hibberd: long-term contract when moving over from the peptides; possible retirement looms?
  • jetta: signed his contract in all oztrayan year of 2018; retirement looms?
  • jones: coming off a short term contract; retirement looms?
  • vandenberg: signed a three year deal off the back of 2018 when swans were chasing him hard; is he a required player?
  • weideman: signed a three year extension at the end of 2018 when he was expected to be our primary key forward along with plugger; if he wants to leave, what is his trade currency?

significant players coming off contract next year...

• brayshaw: signed four year deal off the back of 2018, won't have same perceived value moving forward; what is his value in the market?
  • fritsch: having his best year in 2021; will his form in 2022 continue to see his likely contract value rise?
  • spargo: having his best year in 2021; will his form in 2022 continue to see his likely contract value rise? 
  • petty: having his best year in 2021; will he be in high demand by both south oztrayan clubs?
  • bowey: coming off the back of his first season; should be a permanent best 22 player at the end of 2022 - what is his value?
  • melksham: long-term contract when moving over from the peptides; possible retirement looms?
  • hunt: massive return to form in 2021; will his form in 2022 continue to see his likely contract value rise?  
  • jackson: having his best year in 2021; will he be in high demand by both west oztrayan clubs?
  • mcdonald: signed four year deal off the back of 2018, won't have same perceived value moving forward; what is his value in the (meat) market?

i would think given the players coming off contract at the end of this year and the likely high end contracts coming off at the end of 2022 then we should be more than able to 'afford' to keen the likes of jackson, petty, who may hear the clarion call from their home state sides

31 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

• mcdonald: signed four year deal off the back of 2018, won't have same perceived value moving forward; what is his value in the (meat) market?

Something a bit leftfield, but if McDonald's finish to the year is strong would they extend him for a year to smooth his contract $ over?

23 hours ago, willmoy said:

Totally agree,Scotty likes the take his feet from under him in the marking contest type of " harmless interference" though, maybe in one of the forward stoppages where the raw meat prowls..

Quick! Notify the umpires by Friday - so that this can be incorporated into the agenda to quell the Cats' cheating and dangerous ways. A few onfield decisions our way will be enough, surely?

• Haha 1