Jump to content

Tasmanian AFL Team


Demonland

Recommended Posts

On 4/27/2023 at 10:52 AM, BDA said:

I'm delighted Tassy have a team. Should have happened a long time ago. 

And i doubt player retention will be a problem. It's not a problem for the cats and Hobart is a much nicer spot than Geelong.

They should have been in much earlier. Its great news. So often do you hear the scare tactics of financial projections of these things but usually everyone has a vested interest. Different scenario but sort of same thing applies with Suns and GWS were given entry.  No doubt we were sold rubbish about how much of a positive impact it will be.

 

Really, we would be doing so much better as a comp with a Southport team and Tasaie team already established for the last 10 years? Would be great, solid established supporter base.

 

Point of the story being trust your own instincts over knobs who lie anyway. Those who made those decisions are never held accountable however they do get their hairy back scratched forever more.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A clip just popped up in my youtube feed of that boofhead Eddie McGuire on Footy Classified saying the 715 million they appear to have scraped together will end up being 1.5 billion if they want a roofed 35,000+ seater stadium. Then there's the new club's training facility that needs to be built plus an upgrade to the ground in Launceston if they play any games up there. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

2027/2028 is being suggested

The next bargaining agreement with the players will run for 3-4 years. It is thought to be difficult to introduce a new team during the currency of that agreement

.....and if we are in our Premiership window now, then we probably will not be in 3-4 years.  Just when the AFL will be handing out priority picks to the new side, same as they did for GC and GWS.  Pity the sides that are near the bottom of the ladder at that point.

A couple of articles in todays Age which speak of the growing disaster in AFL in NSW, and the incomprehensible need to build another stadium in Hobart:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-nrl-is-stronger-here-than-when-the-giants-started-swans-giants-want-afl-to-lift-its-game-20230427-p5d3nl.html

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/as-albanese-backs-an-afl-stadium-for-hobart-tasmanians-are-living-in-tents-20230428-p5d3yo.html

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


31 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

Glad we are getting a Tassie team but really don't understand a new stadium with only 23,000 seats. Surely 45,000/50,000 has to be the minimum. 

Why? No offence but you really should stop looking at this from a Melb/Mainland centric view of 'success'. This post is probably a bit of a wider perspective for several of the people this week being incredibly pessimistic about this announcement.

Tas population is approximately 540k. Greater Hobart is basically half of that.  So, a stadium of 23k represents about 1/10th of the population, Personally I would prefer they were closer to 27-30k. 

Using your own logic, should the MCG have a capacity of 500k? because the greater Melb population is 5mil.

This team will be designed to be more like Geelong, and they have done extensive modelling by looking at the Green Bay Packers model in the US, arguable the most successful team based in a 'small town' IMO.
Kardinia park has had several upgrades over recent decades but that was getting it from what approximately 26k through now to possibly 40k.  Why would this stadium need to be more than Kardinia Park from the outset? Let the club grow, also having a huge capacity ground that is half empty would be bad design. Anyone see round 1 game at GWS this year? I'd prefer the Tas team playing in a 23k capacity ground and having it near capacity for most home games rather than being half empty and 50k. 

I've seen a lot of people moan about the dilution of the talent pool, Population in the last 10 years has gone from 23mil to just under 27mil. The diversity of players (both men and womens) has never been greater. Clubs have to turn over more players each season combined than it takes to fill another AFL list, and whilst I think the way that GWS and Gold Coast got special access wasn't done right, I think a model that gives Tassie access to a pool of picks with an expectation to on trade them to other clubs would more than offset that nervousness. 

Just a few of other thoughts, this team before it plays it's first game, I would seriously be surprised if the team doesn't have a higher membership than the Gold Coast and GWS. Secondly, Tasmania in general has been starved of national sport outside of cricket. Look at the success that has occured in the NBL with the Jackjumpers, first 2 seasons and this club massively overachieved on the court getting to the finals in both seasons. But off the court has been crazy, in this last season, it sold out it's memberships in 26 minutes, almost every home game has been a sell out, the stadium has needed to be upgraded quicker than planned.  Then there are the other aspects here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/jackjumpers-success-causes-grassroots-basketball-pain/101917976
Participation up by 46% in the north of the state with 500 teams wanting to play. Basketball Tasmania requiring a further 26 courts across the state to cater for demand. Thats 2 years!

The announcement of this stadium has now prompted the head of the A-League to jump up and insist that the ground is able to be configured to play soccer also, why would that be the case do you think?  Tasmania is a state that has a small population, but has often punched well above it's weight with many sports. Cricket and AFL in particular, Grassroots football is not doing well down here, and as a result the number of AFL players being drafted is sadly lacking, but bring a team in (hopefully 2027 or 2028) but bring it through the VFL, and prioritise the talent pathways immediately both for girls and boys and that will change incredibly fast. 

Hawthorn and North Melbourne as clubs would have struggled to survive without Tas Govt funding, I have no doubt that the flow on effects of having the games played here beneficial to the state, but I'm sick of it TBH, I'd prefer a Tas side. Furthermore don't get dragged into the commentary that the games like the Hawks v Adelaide ar ein front of small crowds, and thats indicative of what a Tassie side would end up playing in front of. Thats like me saying go and watch North v Freo at the MCG , oh and you better bloody enjoy it and be greatful for how AFL football is being bought to you. Tasmania doesn't want North, Hawthorn, or the dregs of a failed venture from anywhere else. They want a Tasmanian team, we deserve a Tasmanian team, and this stadium and the plan that has been put in place should give it the best chance of success (as a club) who knows about the on field success.  

Also if James Sicily is reading this, given that my perception is that AFL players play golf, go to cafe's, surf or play playstation in their downtime, I am pretty confident that Tasmania has most of that covered.

Oh and Old Dee this ones for you, your comment that Tasmania is overcast and cold most of the year perhaps is one of the more ill informed comments I've seen from you recently, which is saying something. Does it get cold in the winter, sure. Do we get wind, yeah, but unless you were one of the contestants on 'Alone' down in the SW of Tas, you are simply just wrong. Hobart's climate is not that dissimilar to Melbourne (less rain in winter, and perhaps a degree or two colder, but better air quality)  

... and no we don't want Tarryn back thanks! :)

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4
  • Clap 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

The announcement of this stadium has now prompted the head of the A-League to jump up and insist that the ground is able to be configured to play soccer also, why would that be the case do you think? 

Wouldn't that be great. Hope the A-league get a team in Hobart, a 12 team comp isn't quite enough. If they expand into Asia as well, great for tourism. Getting on board, and the seating numbers would be expanded, if moveable stands then reconfiguration would make for great concert spaces, etcetera. The stadium would then be used on consecutive weeks for some of the year, as games alternate, benefiting the financial integrity. Our national teams, men and women, could have a good bunker in Tas.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The stadium is being rammed down Tasmanians throats. Virtually no one bar a handful of corporate klingons and the AFL want this thing built. They want an upgrade to existing stadiums and money heavily invested at a grassroots level. The AFL no longer listen or care. They are now in the paid entertainment game and that involves corporate boxes, gambling and shiny new things. I'm bitterly disappointed in the Albanese Government already and this just continues a way of life most Australians don't care for.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ouch! said:

Why? No offence but you really should stop looking at this from a Melb/Mainland centric view of 'success'. This post is probably a bit of a wider perspective for several of the people this week being incredibly pessimistic about this announcement.

Tas population is approximately 540k. Greater Hobart is basically half of that.  So, a stadium of 23k represents about 1/10th of the population, Personally I would prefer they were closer to 27-30k. 

Using your own logic, should the MCG have a capacity of 500k? because the greater Melb population is 5mil.

This team will be designed to be more like Geelong, and they have done extensive modelling by looking at the Green Bay Packers model in the US, arguable the most successful team based in a 'small town' IMO.
Kardinia park has had several upgrades over recent decades but that was getting it from what approximately 26k through now to possibly 40k.  Why would this stadium need to be more than Kardinia Park from the outset? Let the club grow, also having a huge capacity ground that is half empty would be bad design. Anyone see round 1 game at GWS this year? I'd prefer the Tas team playing in a 23k capacity ground and having it near capacity for most home games rather than being half empty and 50k. 

I've seen a lot of people moan about the dilution of the talent pool, Population in the last 10 years has gone from 23mil to just under 27mil. The diversity of players (both men and womens) has never been greater. Clubs have to turn over more players each season combined than it takes to fill another AFL list, and whilst I think the way that GWS and Gold Coast got special access wasn't done right, I think a model that gives Tassie access to a pool of picks with an expectation to on trade them to other clubs would more than offset that nervousness. 

Just a few of other thoughts, this team before it plays it's first game, I would seriously be surprised if the team doesn't have a higher membership than the Gold Coast and GWS. Secondly, Tasmania in general has been starved of national sport outside of cricket. Look at the success that has occured in the NBL with the Jackjumpers, first 2 seasons and this club massively overachieved on the court getting to the finals in both seasons. But off the court has been crazy, in this last season, it sold out it's memberships in 26 minutes, almost every home game has been a sell out, the stadium has needed to be upgraded quicker than planned.  Then there are the other aspects here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/jackjumpers-success-causes-grassroots-basketball-pain/101917976
Participation up by 46% in the north of the state with 500 teams wanting to play. Basketball Tasmania requiring a further 26 courts across the state to cater for demand. Thats 2 years!

The announcement of this stadium has now prompted the head of the A-League to jump up and insist that the ground is able to be configured to play soccer also, why would that be the case do you think?  Tasmania is a state that has a small population, but has often punched well above it's weight with many sports. Cricket and AFL in particular, Grassroots football is not doing well down here, and as a result the number of AFL players being drafted is sadly lacking, but bring a team in (hopefully 2027 or 2028) but bring it through the VFL, and prioritise the talent pathways immediately both for girls and boys and that will change incredibly fast. 

Hawthorn and North Melbourne as clubs would have struggled to survive without Tas Govt funding, I have no doubt that the flow on effects of having the games played here beneficial to the state, but I'm sick of it TBH, I'd prefer a Tas side. Furthermore don't get dragged into the commentary that the games like the Hawks v Adelaide ar ein front of small crowds, and thats indicative of what a Tassie side would end up playing in front of. Thats like me saying go and watch North v Freo at the MCG , oh and you better bloody enjoy it and be greatful for how AFL football is being bought to you. Tasmania doesn't want North, Hawthorn, or the dregs of a failed venture from anywhere else. They want a Tasmanian team, we deserve a Tasmanian team, and this stadium and the plan that has been put in place should give it the best chance of success (as a club) who knows about the on field success.  

Also if James Sicily is reading this, given that my perception is that AFL players play golf, go to cafe's, surf or play playstation in their downtime, I am pretty confident that Tasmania has most of that covered.

Oh and Old Dee this ones for you, your comment that Tasmania is overcast and cold most of the year perhaps is one of the more ill informed comments I've seen from you recently, which is saying something. Does it get cold in the winter, sure. Do we get wind, yeah, but unless you were one of the contestants on 'Alone' down in the SW of Tas, you are simply just wrong. Hobart's climate is not that dissimilar to Melbourne (less rain in winter, and perhaps a degree or two colder, but better air quality)  

... and no we don't want Tarryn back thanks! :)

Great post mate. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

The stadium is being rammed down Tasmanians throats. Virtually no one bar a handful of corporate klingons and the AFL want this thing built. They want an upgrade to existing stadiums and money heavily invested at a grassroots level. The AFL no longer listen or care. They are now in the paid entertainment game and that involves corporate boxes, gambling and shiny new things. I'm bitterly disappointed in the Albanese Government already and this just continues a way of life most Australians don't care for.

No, the existing stadiums are not up to it.  Bellerive's in the suburbs, has covenants that prevent it being used as much as it would need to be, and this team cannot be based in Launceston.  They do need a stadium, there are a bunch of people that don't want it built where it is currently, but I'm sorry you won't build too much 'affordable' housing on the waterfront. It's not going to be affordable for long. Other people saying that we should be investing in other things such as housing, health etc. I appreciate that concern too, however it's not like the money from the Feds (240 mil) or the money that the AFL will invest over the next 10 years will get allocated to this.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, YearOfTheDees said:

Glad we are getting a Tassie team but really don't understand a new stadium with only 23,000 seats. Surely 45,000/50,000 has to be the minimum. 

Minimise cost to build and operare thus increasing profit margin, boosting demand. Hobart also has a smaller population than Geelong, you can't justify 45k stadium in a city with 200k people. 23k sounds just about right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Retractable seats would make it A-League ready. I think Marvel has them?

they do but they stopped using them (in season at least) as they killed the grass

At a cost of $1 billion that is A$40,00 per seat which would make it one of the most expensive stadiums per seat in the world

https://www.statista.com/statistics/968136/europe-average-cost-per-seat-in-stadiums-in-top-football-divisions/

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Retractable seats would make it A-League ready. I think Marvel has them?

I'm not sure re Marvel, but I think that is what the A League were indicating, it's actually trying to get the people closer to the game. 

I think the biggest concern with A League and afl there is the overlap on attempting to schedule fixturing across codes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


52 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

The stadium is being rammed down Tasmanians throats. Virtually no one bar a handful of corporate klingons and the AFL want this thing built. They want an upgrade to existing stadiums and money heavily invested at a grassroots level. The AFL no longer listen or care. They are now in the paid entertainment game and that involves corporate boxes, gambling and shiny new things. I'm bitterly disappointed in the Albanese Government already and this just continues a way of life most Australians don't care for.

And would our money being thrown at the new stadium be there if it wasn't for the afl and tassie govts backing of albanese's  yes campaign ? The afl should not be involved in any political debate.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, praha said:

Minimise cost to build and operare thus increasing profit margin, boosting demand. Hobart also has a smaller population than Geelong, you can't justify 45k stadium in a city with 200k people. 23k sounds just about right. 

Actually I think Hobart (or greater Hobart) is basically identical, But the team in Geelong has had a little more of a headstart with people following them than the tassie team ;) 
More importantly, it's about perception with TV broadcasts too.... if the stadium is constantly 80% full, the ambience, the sound, the visual appeal is so much greater than a big stadium with huge gaps.  We all saw that in COVID and it was horrible. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dl4e said:

And would our money being thrown at the new stadium be there if it wasn't for the afl and tassie govts backing of albanese's  yes campaign ? The afl should not be involved in any political debate.

Umm, yes absolutely. The AFL, Tas Gov and the people behind the business case have been lobbying for years for this. The AFL would be backing the yes campaign regardless, as are most sports codes. The Lib party in Tas is more centre than right wing and always has been.... every other state is backing it too (albeit they are labor) You make it sound like the Tas Govt and the AFL are the only ones backing that campaign... Politics is unavoidable in decisions like this.

The MFC are, and will continue to be furiously campaigning for funding for it's new base with the Vic Govt and possibly the feds as well, should they stop?  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

  You make it sound like the Tas Govt and the AFL are the only ones backing that campaign... Politics is unavoidable in decisions like this.

 

Not at all. I am aware of what is going on and I do not believe the afl or any other sporting code should be involved in a poltical  movement, especially publicly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

No, the existing stadiums are not up to it.  Bellerive's in the suburbs, has covenants that prevent it being used as much as it would need to be, and this team cannot be based in Launceston.  They do need a stadium, there are a bunch of people that don't want it built where it is currently, but I'm sorry you won't build too much 'affordable' housing on the waterfront. It's not going to be affordable for long. Other people saying that we should be investing in other things such as housing, health etc. I appreciate that concern too, however it's not like the money from the Feds (240 mil) or the money that the AFL will invest over the next 10 years will get allocated to this.

There’s other options for a stadium that are much cheaper and 2 things. Albanese could easily spend that 240mill on public housing and the AFL could easily spread the money throughout grassroots footy in Tasmania. Both of those things are popular amongst the electorate. This stadium is as I said it was, another statue to corporate folly. It’s only the corporates who want this, they just don’t want to pay for it. Sounds familiar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

There’s other options for a stadium that are much cheaper and 2 things. Albanese could easily spend that 240mill on public housing and the AFL could easily spread the money throughout grassroots footy in Tasmania. Both of those things are popular amongst the electorate. This stadium is as I said it was, another statue to corporate folly. It’s only the corporates who want this, they just don’t want to pay for it. Sounds familiar 

Except the Fed govt has a public housing program that it is already working on. The other options for stadiums is what exactly?  Bellerive?  Has no parking options anywhere near, and it's a suburban ground, and is in a suburb that has a disproportionate number of NIMBYs. Where else? UTAS Stadium?  please if we put an AFL team outside of the capital it will never work. Nth Hobart? Lauderdale? Glenorchy?  where are you talking about other options??, but regardless the pricing is what the pricing is to build a stadium.

How much is the MCC going to spend on the new development for the MCG? is that needed?  how much will that cost? https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-mcg-redevelopment-plans-photos-capacity-barbecues-hotel-renders-when-will-it-happen/news-story/091187d45cef48168dc87dac718ac5e6  I mean seriously $1billion to get the capacity up by 6-8k... and for what? rooftop lighting and BBQs?  How much social housing could the Andrew's Govt achieve with that? No one seemingly complains about the costs of this type of thing in Melbourne.

The AFL Grassroots funding is coming as a part of this whole arrangement, but if the pinnacle is for our players to just be picked up and play on the mainland... it's not going to work, because it has not worked ever!

Look at the Jack Jumpers, it took that team to be here, part of Hobart, part of Tasmania for the growth to occur. 46% growth in club teams and growth in 2 seasons.... That wasn't happening until the team arrived. This stadium has govt, corporate, and AFL funding. ALL major works such as this has that type of arrangement, so yeah it does kinda sound familiar cos thats how things work in the real world, rather than in an 'ideal world'.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TROUBLE by The Oracle

    Situated roughly in Australia's geographic centre, Alice Springs has for many years been a troubled town suffering from intermittent crime waves, particularly among its younger residents. There was a time a little while ago when things were so bad that some even doubted the annual AFL game in the town would proceed.  Now, the hope is that this Sunday’s Melbourne vs Fremantle encounter will bring joy to the residents of the town and that through the sport and the example of the participants,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

    With the Melbourne Football Club's first pick in the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Draft and pick number 11 overall the Demon's selected Western Australian key forward Luker Kentfield from Subiaco.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 199

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 195

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 401
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...