COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

9 hours ago, dieter said:

All I can say is lucky Dr Gonzo is not my GP. As for you, FD, well, what can one say about a man who believes keeping everything open will make a virus disappear.?????

What can one say about a man who pulls stuff out of his arz and proclaims it as fact?

I've never said opening will make the virus disappear. I have said I don't like the hysteria that many on here show, and that it's past time that all restrictions on movement and freedoms were lifted. I mean banning dancing and singing for Christ sake...... 

Don't make siht up please.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, faultydet said:

What can one say about a man who pulls stuff out of his arz and proclaims it as fact?

I've never said opening will make the virus disappear. I have said I don't like the hysteria that many on here show, and that it's past time that all restrictions on movement and freedoms were lifted. I mean banning dancing and singing for Christ sake...... 

According to some representatives of Christ, singing and dancing are forbidden anyhow. And, I leave you with another fact which no doubt, you will claim ascended from my posterior nether regions, namely that there is not one mention in any 4 Gospels of Christ singing or dancing. WE could infer from this two possibilities. One is that he would have hated Jingle Bells, and the fact that he never danced proves he was a German.😍😛🥰😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, dieter said:

All I can say is lucky Dr Gonzo is not my GP.

Personally, I’d love Dr Gonzo to be my GP. We’d spend every consultation talking about the Mighty Dees. And if he doesn’t bulk-bill, I’m sure I’d get mate’s rates. 😁👍🏽🏆❤️💙

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Personally, I’d love Dr Gonzo to be my GP. We’d spend every consultation talking about the Mighty Dees. And if he doesn’t bulk-bill, I’m sure I’d get mate’s rates. 😁👍🏽🏆❤️💙

Mates rates and bulk billing and talking gibberish about the mighty demons is not gonna fix any medical issue you might have, especially a thing called Covid.🙄🤗😆😛

2 minutes ago, dieter said:

Mates rates and bulk billing and talking gibberish about the mighty demons is not gonna fix any medical issue you might have, especially a thing called Covid.🙄🤗😆😛

You’re right. But they might make LIVING WITH (as opposed to FIXING) Covid all the more bearable. May even make it enjoyable. 
BTW, your use of the word ‘gibberish’ in relation to any discussion about the Mighty Demons offends my sensibilities no end. 😭😝😉😐🤗

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

You’re right. But they might make LIVING WITH (as opposed to FIXING) Covid all the more bearable. May even make it enjoyable. 
BTW, your use of the word ‘gibberish’ in relation to any discussion about the Mighty Demons offends my sensibilities no end. 😭😝😉😐🤗

That made me laugh.

• Like 1

I’m very optimistic about the outlook for the new year Covid wise. By the time the AFL season rolls around I don;t think there will be the same level of disruption currently being experienced in US and European sports.

The vaccines have done their job and reduced the severity of symptoms. The virus has evolved into the relatively mild Omicron variant. Because its highly transmissible there will be high levels of natural immunity in the community. Internationally, the surge in cases is not leading to an overwhelmed hospital system. This is what the end of the pandemic should look like.

There’s still a lot of fear however stoked by the media and skittish health bureaucrats and politicians. I think overcoming the psychosis caused by Covid will be the biggest challenge to ending the pandemic

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BDA said:

Internationally, the surge in cases is not leading to an overwhelmed hospital system

Hmm. While figures are lower than the worst periods from last year, with these massive case numbers there are starting to be a LOT of people in hospital and, worryingly, intensive care.

e.g. in France, nearly 70% of the total number of intensive care beds are taken up by Covid patients, increasing by over 400 per day. And only going to get worse. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, bing181 said:

Hmm. While figures are lower than the worst periods from last year, with these massive case numbers there are starting to be a LOT of people in hospital and, worryingly, intensive care.

e.g. in France, nearly 70% of the total number of intensive care beds are taken up by Covid patients, increasing by over 400 per day. And only going to get worse. 

Indeed..

41A0E508-2322-448F-A26B-95C76C514D9B.jpeg

• Like 2

I would say that the rising levels of infections in Victoria will only have a negative effect on the pre-season with a high possibility of players training shedules and pre-season loads being disrupted by the occurrence of infections amongst players of all teams.

Will we get a good pre-season in? Most likely but its not a given at this stage.

1 hour ago, drysdale demon said:

Some might say not that much difference to some of the products pushed by Big Pharma.

Hi DD. Yep, in essence there's not much difference. My brother is a convinced Anti Vaxer. He says he doesn't trust Big Pharm because he doesn't know what's in them vaccines. He told me he simply takes Magnesium, Vitamin D, Fish Oil etc, each of which he buys from Little Pharma. And, what's worse, he makes his Kartoffelpuffer from imported packets of white powder to which he adds water. I asked him if he'd ever heard of a real potato, an onion and a grater. He said he couldn't be sure that the potato wasn't genetically modifed, same as the onion. Then he lit up a [censored]. I guess it takes all types.

• Haha 2

On 12/29/2021 at 8:26 AM, faultydet said:

I know there are a few doctors and other medical professionals on this site, and doubtless they know much more than me. But please.... My wife is a senior nurse in the Emergency Department of a major Melbourne Hospital. This has been going on for two years. She and her colleagues are absolutely exhausted, and extremely worried the health system is being overwhelmed. If that happens, there'll be consequences for us all: cancer patients, cardio, accidents ...everything.

So please...don't describe sensible healthcare measures as 'restrictions on your freedom'. Don't come on here whinging about 'banning dancing'. Have you ever actually watched somebody doing the slow, horrible lonely dance of death that Covid causes? She has.

And by the way, she and most of her friends are furious at what Morrison is (we presume) trying to do right now. It's just 'let it rip' under another name. Health care workers are being asked to put their lives at risk so that Morrison can win the next election. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, dieter said:

Hi DD. Yep, in essence there's not much difference. My brother is a convinced Anti Vaxer. He says he doesn't trust Big Pharm because he doesn't know what's in them vaccines. He told me he simply takes Magnesium, Vitamin D, Fish Oil etc, each of which he buys from Little Pharma. And, what's worse, he makes his Kartoffelpuffer from imported packets of white powder to which he adds water. I asked him if he'd ever heard of a real potato, an onion and a grater. He said he couldn't be sure that the potato wasn't genetically modifed, same as the onion. Then he lit up a [censored]. I guess it takes all types.

Yeah, I always have a laugh at people who smother themselves in sunscreen then light up a ciggie.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jara said:

I know there are a few doctors and other medical professionals on this site, and doubtless they know much more than me. But please.... My wife is a senior nurse in the Emergency Department of a major Melbourne Hospital. This has been going on for two years. She and her colleagues are absolutely exhausted, and extremely worried the health system is being overwhelmed. If that happens, there'll be consequences for us all: cancer patients, cardio, accidents ...everything.

So please...don't describe sensible healthcare measures as 'restrictions on your freedom'. Don't come on here whinging about 'banning dancing'. Have you ever actually watched somebody doing the slow, horrible lonely dance of death that Covid causes? She has.

And by the way, she and most of her friends are furious at what Morrison is (we presume) trying to do right now. It's just 'let it rip' under another name. Health care workers are being asked to put their lives at risk so that Morrison can win the next election. 

well how do you explain infections going up exponentially, yet hospital admissions flatlining 

in addition those in hospital are mostly the unvaxxed

not saying the health people at the pointy end aren't working their butts off

• Like 4

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

well how do you explain infections going up exponentially, yet hospital admissions flatlining 

in addition those in hospital are mostly the unvaxxed

not saying the health people at the pointy end aren't working their butts off

You would have to think that with the increase in numbers we will get an increase in hospital admissions and this has been the case in NSW. I don't understand why you think they are flatlining. Maybe as a % but if we keep getting these increases then the hospital system is going to struggle particularly with staff already exhausted.

If those beds are taken then it means no spots available for people with other issues.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rjay said:

You would have to think that with the increase in numbers we will get an increase in hospital admissions and this has been the case in NSW. I don't understand why you think they are flatlining. Maybe as a % but if we keep getting these increases then the hospital system is going to struggle particularly with staff already exhausted.

If those beds are taken then it means no spots available for people with other issues.

any "solution" is going to be some form of compromise

we can't stay the way we were for the past 2 years. now the majority is 2xvaxxed we have to forge a new way and nobody has a perfect solution. there will be a lot of trial and error this year

nevertheless, the never satisfied will carp on and look for fault and politicise it endlessly

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

nevertheless, the never satisfied will carp on and look for fault and politicise it endlessly

I believe it has been endlessly politicised by the politicians.

It would have been great to have true leadership at this point in time rather than an eye at all times on the polls but I guess we make do with what we have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Omicron might be our ticket out but it's going to be a very bumpy ride the next few months. We'll know in the next week or so whether 10,000+ cases a day in Sydney is going to mean our hospitals are ok or in big trouble.

Todays announcement on close contacts and testing rules pretty much means they can no longer restrict Omicron on test/trace/isolate so they aren't going to try to do that nearly as much given the impact on the community is too great.

The end result might be needing to bring in measures at various times to reduce the stress on the hospital system. Fair to say that won't go down very well.

54 minutes ago, rjay said:

I don't understand why you think they are flatlining.

They are not flatlining, far from it. FJ just ignores facts when they don't fit his narrative (such as it is).

(Graph below shows a 7-day rolling average, daily admissions figure is higher. And increasing.)

Hospitalisations.thumb.png.2115d3401938c746455693537eeff200.png

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

They are not flatlining, far from it. FJ just ignores facts when they don't fit his narrative (such as it is).

(Graph below shows a 7-day rolling average, daily admissions figure is higher. And increasing.)

Hospitalisations.thumb.png.2115d3401938c746455693537eeff200.png

i'd call call this pretty much flatlining in victoria

in fact icu and ventilation is going down noticeably

VIC HOSPITALISED

Cases Admitted to Hospital

DATE HOSP ICU VENT
30 Dec 21 395 55 23
29 Dec 21 397 62 28
28 Dec 21 361 69 33
27 Dec 21 368 80 38
26 Dec 21 374 77 43
25 Dec 21 361 71 42
24 Dec 21 397 75 40
Week -3 -17 -16
Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

i'd call call this pretty much flatlining in victoria

in fact icu and ventilation is going down noticeably

VIC HOSPITALISED

Cases Admitted to Hospital

DATE HOSP ICU VENT
30 Dec 21 395 55 23
29 Dec 21 397 62 28
28 Dec 21 361 69 33
27 Dec 21 368 80 38
26 Dec 21 374 77 43
25 Dec 21 361 71 42
24 Dec 21 397 75 40
Week -3 -17 -16

Hey Daisy

My wife tells me they're having a real battle in the ED to keep people out of ICU - ie keeping them in  bays, hoping they can be sent home. I gather they're really nervous about what's coming down the line. 

Edited by Jara
  • Like 1