COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

21 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Why do people immediately assume that a new variant is more potent and more importantly more deadly. A successful virus does not kill its host. If you imagine an airbourne virus that kills immediately then that virus will die out as it does not have opportunity to spread. The most successful virus does not kill and it may not have symptoms. Perhaps what we need is a less deadly Covid that we all can catch and get on with life. 

Edit. It is a simplistic view I know, but perhaps an alternative to the chicken littles.

Yeah but a bit of simplistic view can often be better than a more complex one.

The virus doesn't kill everyone only the most vulnerable.

comorbitities seem to be no longer reported as everyone dies of Covid not with Covid.

The concern with the new variant is we do not know it's spread and /or virulence, once more cases are analysed we might find it is one that we get on with. Influenza killed many but most people got a small symptom hit and while maybe spreading the flu soldiered on and didn't die.

Victorian crowds are the key to the AFLs finances.

Let's hope this new strain does not find its way to Vic and if it does, it is assessed as low enough risk to enable a complete return to normal.

Should know within a few weeks judging by past variants.

Having become vaccine experts over the last two years the next lesson for the masses is "monoclonal antibody treatments".

There's lots about to hit the medical cabinet near you.

Do they work... yes... but ... hard to say how well.

They could be the key to limiting death and severe cases which in turn allows the world to lower its risk level.

For example there's one produced by Brii Biosciences presently before US authorities for emergency approval that claims a 78% success rate in reducing severe cases.

The Merck pill is another example but unfortunately its efficacy may not be as high as first thought.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/brii-biosciences-eua-us-fda-covid-19-combination/

• Like 1

If you didn't want to put a vaccine into your body, you probably wouldn't want to ingest a monoclonal antibody.

Vaccine resisters will still claim natural immunity is the only way to go (or that pills contain Bill Gates' microchips). Guess it will be good for those who cry out for a vaccination on their way into  the ICU.

Edited by mauriesy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mauriesy said:

If you didn't want to put a vaccine into your body, you probably wouldn't want to ingest a monoclonal antibody.

Vaccine resisters will still claim natural immunity is the only way to go (or that pills contain Bill Gates' microchips). Guess it will be good for those who cry out for a vaccination on their way into  the ICU.

I doubt it. Once they get Covid I reckon a majority would take antibody's. But who knows.

21 hours ago, ManDee said:

Why do people immediately assume that a new variant is more potent and more importantly more deadly. A successful virus does not kill its host. If you imagine an airbourne virus that kills immediately then that virus will die out as it does not have opportunity to spread. The most successful virus does not kill and it may not have symptoms. Perhaps what we need is a less deadly Covid that we all can catch and get on with life. 

Edit. It is a simplistic view I know, but perhaps an alternative to the chicken littles.

I would say sensible not simplistic.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

I would say sensible not simplistic.

Dr Nick Coatsworth (amongst a few other health professionals) has some interesting views on the potency of Omicron

Hope he's right

52 minutes ago, Macca said:

Dr Nick Coatsworth (amongst a few other health professionals) has some interesting views on the potency of Omicron

Hope he's right

Let's hope his opinion is how it plays out.

There is alot of misinformation out there and alot of guessing. I'd back a grandma who backs horses on numbers or names over a modeller.

I read somewhere (I think in the Lancet Journal) amongst the thousands of articles I have read about Covid that once you catch it and recover you are 26 times more immune from it than someone who is vaxicinated.

Even if that is correct it is still a great reason to get vaxxed because it doesn't seem to stop the spread but you have a much greater chance of mild symptoms and not getting it again.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

I read somewhere (I think in the Lancet Journal) amongst the thousands of articles I have read about Covid that once you catch it and recover you are 26 times more immune from it than someone who is vaxicinated.

No.

Plenty of studies around like this one showing that "It's likely that for most people vaccination against COVID-19 will induce more effective and longer lasting immunity than that induced by natural infection with the virus."

https://www.immunology.org/coronavirus/connect-coronavirus-public-engagement-resources/covid-immunity-natural-infection-vaccine

(If on the other hand, you can dig out the x26 figure, now's the time.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

Even if that is correct it is still a great reason to get vaxxed because it doesn't seem to stop the spread

And no again:

"People who are fully vaccinated against covid-19 are far less likely to infect others, despite the arrival of the delta variant, several studies show. The findings refute the idea, which has become common in some circles, that vaccines no longer do much to prevent the spread of the coronavirus."

“... the data are super crystal-clear that the risk of transmission for a vaccinated individual is much, much lower than for an unvaccinated individual.”

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mauriesy said:

Vaccine resisters will still claim natural immunity

Yes, and I always find this one particularly idiotic. Whether it's through infection or vaccination, it's your body's immune system that provides immunity. The vaccine only "teaches" your immune system what to look for and is then rapidly broken down/destroyed (within days), leaving your body to do its thing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Macca said:

Hope he's right

Sure, but this seems to be based on taking a quote from the Chair of the South African Medical Association out of context: she was specifically referring to younger people with no underlying health conditions, and specifically warned that it could hit people who are older/at risk much harder.

50 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Sure, but this seems to be based on taking a quote from the Chair of the South African Medical Association out of context: she was specifically referring to younger people with no underlying health conditions, and specifically warned that it could hit people who are older/at risk much harder.

Beware coastworth's agenda i reckon

• Like 3

How long before the anti-vax, 5G crowd call it Omi-CON

Edited by ding
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

Beware coastworth's agenda i reckon

really? you need to back that up

from where i sit a qualified health officer gets my attention before an internet random

not in any way taking his comment as the last word on the matter either.  he did preface his comment with "if it's mild"

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BDA said:

Viruses tend to evolve to become less lethal. I hope this is the case with Omicron

I'm starting to form the opinion that there are some on this site who will disappointed if that is the case.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, bing181 said:

So could the ordinary flu.

• Like 4

I'm double vaxxed was probably first in line for my age bracket because dees were top of the ladder. My precautions were more about missing a premiership than getting covid.

HIV has about 30 mutations but they aren't as high profile as every single Covid mutation. 

Antibody's are an effective treatment for all the HIV strains. They will be the answer for living with Covid too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, daisycutter said:

really? you need to back that up

from where i sit a qualified health officer gets my attention before an internet random

not in any way taking his comment as the last word on the matter either.  he did preface his comment with "if it's mild"

You have my vote dc. 

24 minutes ago, bing181 said:

I'll just drop this Red Herring in here that has nothing to do with the point being discussed.

1 - red herring doesn't need to be capitalised

2 - my post was not a red herring by any definition

3 - if you don't understand that Covid and Influenza are both contagious respiratory illnesse's you shouldn't contribute to this topic

4 - try and stick to the topics being discussed rather than trying to drop a red herring

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1