COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I think there are lots of options.  The dedicated facility is one but unfortunately that is not an option in the short-term.

This argument was run last year and the way we're going it will be next year.

Successive federal governments sold off the old quarantine facilities, admittedly they were outdated and used in the days ships were the mode of transporting people.

The money (went to making the budget bottom line look better) didn't go into providing new facilities around major airports which it should have...it's been known for a long time that a pandemic of some sort would hit but we weren't prepared. There will be more.

So...now is the time to start building otherwise there will be many more short terms down the track.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Both the Adelaide game and the Dream time game were to be at the G.  Now they are interstate and spend two weeks on the road.   Three weeks if they stay in Perth, as is likely, to play Eagles the following round (and delay their bye for a week).

Karma for whingeing about playing games at Marvel!!

No point whingeing again as they won't get any sympathy from the AFL.  A fox footy report saying the AFL isn't happy with their Marvel comments and trying to whitewash the Bolton punch up.  Fox footy quoted Caroline Wilson as saying the large Bolton and club fines were because of the whitewash attempt and the Marvel and umpire whingeing.  That should keep Hardwick quiet for a while.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, rjay said:

This argument was run last year and the way we're going it will be next year.

Successive federal governments sold off the old quarantine facilities, admittedly they were outdated and used in the days ships were the mode of transporting people.

The money (went to making the budget bottom line look better) didn't go into providing new facilities around major airports which it should have...it's been known for a long time that a pandemic of some sort would hit but we weren't prepared. There will be more.

So...now is the time to start building otherwise there will be many more short terms down the track.

Agreed rjay.  Its just that people (not necessarily DL's) are demanding them 'now' and not all state governments want them.  Lots of water to go under the bridge before or if state governments can agree on the way forward.

I've read that the fed gov is working with Vic gov to build a centre at Mickleham, much to the angst of local residents, which is a start.

But in the meantime...

• Like 2

There aren't many winners from all this, but there is luck associated with it all.

We're missing a crowd at an away game, not a home game. That's some luck.

We've already had a fair amount of MCG games (Essendon, for example, has already travelled four times, and now might have to play even more games interstate). That's some luck too.

• Like 6

They cop a pasting, but I have some sympathy for the umpires this weekend - apparently the same set who have the Perth game on Saturday night then travel to Adelaide to umpire on Sunday twilight. Some significant air and foot miles...

That's evidently the reason the Sunday game time has been pushed back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

I get where you're coming from mate, and footy is definitely not high up on the list in terms of relative importance, but there was a lot of talk last year during the 'big' lockdown about how much it helped people having some footy to watch. Just the sense of normality, the comfort and the distraction. The mental health aspect of this lockdown is pretty huge IMO, even though it's a short one. If we can have footy on, in a COVID safe way, then I think it only benefits people.

On reflection LN this site helps me more than the team actually playing. I guess the reason is interaction with the fanatics on here. Whereas the team I get no interaction watching on TV. I would not be surprised if they don’t know I exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1

2% of the population vaccinated is pathetic and an indictment of our politicians and health bureaucrats who have put so many barriers to the roll out. Also SCOMO has done an about face on purpose built quarantine facilities and made sound like it was his idea. He’s a two faced nonentity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

2% of the population vaccinated is pathetic and an indictment of our politicians and health bureaucrats who have put so many barriers to the roll out. Also SCOMO has done an about face on purpose built quarantine facilities and made sound like it was his idea. He’s a two faced nonentity. 

but gees God loves him!

• Haha 6

50 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Can you explain the rationale for blaming the public service?

6 hours ago, binman said:

I don't think this error has had any bearing on this outbreak. Thus far there hasn't been any transmission in shopping centre settings in Australia

Dude, you are always first in to "correct" anyone who has even the slightest thought that is not completely left of centre. You are probably best left sticking to football unless asked?  "Correcting" or "Patronising" is as boring as it is predictable. 

There is plenty of scope here for the AFL to get through the next few weeks, although much hinges on the six clubs in Victoria this week being permitted to go to other states/territories.

Next week, Round 12,  there are three games scheduled in Melbourne (St Kilda v Sydney, Essendon v Richmond, Carlton v West Coast). St Kilda is the only one of those sides in Victoria this week. I imagine that if they can get negative tests, one of the other states will let them in, and that game can get moved. The other four clubs are already out of Victoria and I can see a situation in which they are all moved into neutral venues (I think Dreamtime is already being discussed as moving to Perth).

In Round 13 only Queen's Birthday is scheduled in Melbourne, and that's 11 days away. By then, potentially/hopefully, things will look better.

Assuming WA is tough on things, if NSW, Queensland, SA and/or Tasmania are willing to let clubs into their states even if they've been in Victoria in the preceding 14 days, the next few weeks should be manageable. Some clubs are going to lose home games and revenue, but there will be scope to try to adjust later games to fix that I suspect. There's also scope for late season games to be brought forward (e.g. maybe our trip to Adelaide to play Port, or our trip to the Gold Coast, or something like that, leaving later months free for games in Victoria).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

On reflection LN this site helps me more than the team actually playing. I guess the reason is interaction with the fanatics on here. Whereas the team I get no interaction watching on TV. I would not be surprised if they don’t know I exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reckon you're underselling yourself old fella! Was only a week or two ago that our new president was talking about how much the vibe of the supporters affects the playing group.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

I think that might be the time of Fox Footy's broadcast start. AFL website still has our game as 7.50pm bounce.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/621165/fixture-update-two-r11-games-move-to-sydney-suns-hawks-back-on

Ahhh don’t tell me they’re doing that rubbish?! Advertising game time as 7 but actual bounce down is 7.50.

56 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Can you explain the rationale for blaming the public service?

The bureaucrats have placed restrictions on who can receive the vaccine, administered the farce that was hotel quarantine and made the process of ordering the vaccine and documenting it so burdensome that many general practices have opted out of the program. I could keep going but you get the drift.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ManDee said:

I'm over 50, give me the same vaccine as the under 50's or are we second class citizens? I am not anti vaccine. I would be happy to pay, I would be happy to travel to get a jab, but no I can only get the cheap less effective more dangerous vaccine. If you under 50's disagree you get the AZ vaccine, you can if you want to.

9 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

ManDee should be allowed to make an informed decision about which vaccine he wants to take. It’s his body and his right. We’re a liberal democracy not the Soviet Union.

However, if he decides not to take an available vaccine and chooses to wait for a vaccine of his preference then he should be re-categorised with the rest of the general population. That’s only fair imv. We can’t delay the broader roll-out.

No, he should go to the back of the queue for an alternatve vaccine.