Eddie McGuire Steps Down Effective Immediately

Demonland

22 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

I don't reckon anyone has ever said that Australia would never have been invaded otherwise or that invasion was an experience unique to Indigenous Australians. Neither of those things are points being raised.

Eddie's "proud day" is a microcosm of white Australia's approach to racism in this country. Don't admit any wrong doing, don't say sorry, just tell everyone it's in the past and they should just get over it as where not racist anymore, are we?

Criticism of Eddie is warranted. 

Sorry i went off on my own tangent

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biffen said:

Yes- another drunken friend of mine likened Ho Chi Minh to a glorious freedom fighter.

Unfortunately his results were famine, genocide, poverty and disaster- as with ALL adherents to Marxist philosophy.

Why people keep repeating “ but that wasn’t real communism” is beyond me.

The results never vary.

I think you find similar results with most fascist dictators no matter the brand they attach.

4 hours ago, rjay said:

I think you find similar results with most fascist dictators no matter the brand they attach.

Nobody had a bad word to say about Idi Amin.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biffen said:

You are clearly not well.

He commanded the Navy. No he didn't. The Admiral of the Fleet commanded the Navy. Churchill was their political master. Next you'll tell us Morrison 'commands' the army? Using correct terminoligy would be helpful.

Many books have been written on it.Not relevant

Gallipoli was such a failure he considered suicide for years. Depression played a part in this. But also not relevant to my point.

Why do you argue idiotic things? I only argue accuracy - that 's not idiotic is it?

Classy.

I am just correcting you "history buff".

He was never a Rear Admiral, nor indeed a RN officer of any rank.' You still haven't addressed my point. Difficult to adjust is it?

I have no comment on your other insights. Just don't set yourself up us some pseudo-historical fount of knowledge to other posters.

I'm very healthy too and thanks for your concern.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

Classy.

I am just correcting you "history buff".

He was never a Rear Admiral, nor indeed a RN officer of any rank.' You still haven't addressed my point. Difficult to adjust is it?

I have no comment on your other insights. Just don't set yourself up us some pseudo-historical fount of knowledge to other posters.

I'm very healthy too and thanks for your concern.

First Lord of the Navy-so he commanded the Admirals. And the Royal Navy by extension. 

As to your point-you don't have one.

37 minutes ago, Biffen said:

First Lord of the Navy-so he commanded the Admirals. And the Royal Navy by extension. 

As to your point-you don't have one.

Correct terminology is First Sea Lord.

Your correct . I don't have a point.

Simply correcting a wannabe expert. They're everywhere and I'm over them.

8 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Correct terminology is First Sea Lord.

Your correct . I don't have a point.

Simply correcting a wannabe expert. They're everywhere and I'm over them.

You're one of them.

SO your point was to be a pedant.

Mine was to instuct .

BTW It's "you're correct".

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Biffen said:

You're one of them.

SO your point was to be a pedant.

Mine was to instuct .

BTW It's "you're correct".

Please structure your replies correctly. You note I'm one of them?.

A First Lord of the Admiralty?. Don't be ridiculous. I've never been associated with the Royal Navy.

Looks like you'd be good at instructing us on typo identification though.

Better I guess than half arsed history rubbish.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, Biffen said:

Yes- another drunken friend of mine likened Ho Chi Minh to a glorious freedom fighter.

Unfortunately his results were famine, genocide, poverty and disaster- as with ALL adherents to Marxist philosophy.

Why people keep repeating “ but that wasn’t real communism” is beyond me.

The results never vary.

In his defence, he was playing on a pretty rough wicket.

Indeed, Vietnam has managed significantly less famine, less political murder, less poverty and less disaster than pretty much any other SE Asian nation. 

And I say that not as if I think the country has some kind of clean slate - I am well aware of the Montagnard persecutions both present and historical, as well as the incredibly callous, almost Haig-like ruthlessness of Vietnamese war planning, the mass 're-education' programs and refugee 'pushing' as well as the general chaotic mismanagement in the initial post-war period.

I just don't like the silly sweeping claims, is all.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

In his defence, he was playing on a pretty rough wicket.

Indeed, Vietnam has managed significantly less famine, less political murder, less poverty and less disaster than pretty much any other SE Asian nation. 

And I say that not as if I think the country has some kind of clean slate - I am well aware of the Montagnard persecutions both present and historical, as well as the incredibly callous, almost Haig-like ruthlessness of Vietnamese war planning, the mass 're-education' programs and refugee 'pushing' as well as the general chaotic mismanagement in the initial post-war period.

I just don't like the silly sweeping claims, is all.

Good for you.

I look at the outcomes and not the stated intentions of the leaders.

It's not a country that fits neatly into the communist narrative of universal and total failure because it has an incredibly resilient populace.

There is still significant repression in Vietnam combined with a remarkably agile capitalism.

The ethnic tensions inside Vietnam are not something I understand although I know the borders we recognise are not reflective of their ancient cultures and tribes.The South still hate the North as a general rule.

13 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Good for you.

It's not a country that fits neatly into the communist narrative of universal and total failure because it has an incredibly resilient populace.

There is still significant repression in Vietnam combined with a remarkably agile capitalism.

The ethnic tensions inside Vietnam are not something I understand although I know the borders we recognise are not reflective of their ancient cultures and tribes.The South still hate the North as a general rule.

Their leadership [censored] up badly until they woke up & allowed private ownership & freed up the economy.

Their people are smart, educated & incredibly hard working but I doubt the communists will ever relinquish power or allow democracy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Good for you.

This thread is getting completely derailed. Can we just get back to discussing Idi Amin

• Like 2
  • Haha 3