Review Finds Collingwood Guilty of Systemic Racism

rjay

That review is ..... pretty damning. 

It suggests that racism isn't just a few poorly handled incidents but rather a club-wide culture of racism that has followed it from a very checkered history. 

It shows why Eddie is leaving, as it heavily insinuates that Collingwood will always have problems with racism whilst it has elements of leadership that have "an unhealthy degree of influence over club culture", and calls for the leadership, "particularly its board" needing to drive structural changes. It'll need some pretty hefty responses but at least having a 'rock bottom' report can be a way for the club to finally become a better reflection of society.

• Like 1

probably explains their interest in Nev.

He is an asset that we can not afford to lose. I hope our current Board are working on how we keep him involved with the club once his playing days are over.

• Like 9

I must admit I thought this report would be a whitewash...

To their credit they didn't hold back.

Not so much to the board's credit they sat on it...it took a leak for it to come out.

It would be interesting to see a similar enquiry held into the AFL...

I would expect findings like this, insert AFL for Collingwood

• There is a gap between what Collingwood Football Club says it stands for and what it does
  • The club is more likely to react to media coverage about a racist incident than complaints made within the club
  • Collingwood's response has often been perceived as one where claims of racism are dealt with in terms of damage control and protecting the brand
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, djr said:

I wonder whether Gary Pert condoned certain behaviour or was a participant. Or did he leave as a protest. I doubt it.

Difficult to point a direct finger, however clearly did not establish a healthy policy and lasting culture in his time there. Nev is gold for us and must be kept at the Dees to leave a lasting legacy as a welcoming and safe environment for indigenous and other ethnic groups with  our male and female teams. Walk the walk Dees.  We will be repayed many times over if we fully commit to the task.

• Like 3

• Demonland changed the title to Review Finds Collingwood Guilty of Systematic Racism
50 minutes ago, rjay said:

It would be interesting to see a similar enquiry held into the AFL...

I would expect findings like this, insert AFL for Collingwood

I'm sure it would have many similar strands, with some clubs worse than others.

What I don't think you'd find is the amount that the racist culture is driven actively from the leadership. That's the really troubling bit. The Emperor-as-president nature of Collingwood, and the 25 year tenure of it, means that the culture hasn't renewed as society has evolved. I would imagine that most other clubs would have created more inclusive cultures since the Allan McAlister reckoning in the mid-90s. 

I'm more inclined to believe that Collingwood's culture of racism is worse than others, as the many incidents have alluded to anyway. We would have said that in the mid-90s too when Eddie took over and his unbroken tenure since means that it is far less likely to have changed than at other clubs. 

Lumumba had a really hard time of it when he stood up to this culture in a hostile environment. It's taken some time, but I'm glad he is finally being seen more broadly as being on the right side of history. I'm also happy to see that even the most stubborn and outdated club cultures look like they will be eventually dragged into contemporary society, and fewer people will have to experience what Lumumba did.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

My interpretation of the pieces that are being reported on is that it might not be fair to say that Collingwood are more racist than other clubs, but that as a club they aren't really making an effort to not be racist.  On the other hand, they've made so much effort to 'manage the image' and yet the image has still had a stink about it for years.  That seems like a lot of smoke to be coming out of a blocked chimney.

Hmm.  It's an incremental thing, but any organisation where the balance turns more to protecting the outward appearances than resolving the substance will slowly hollow out and become brittle.

Soviet Union, Catholic Church, Collingwood Football Club, The Marvel Cinematic Universe, my ex's mother.  Some will break, some will genuinely reform, and some will be powerful and connected enough to go through a period of 'performance contrition' and make just a few cosmetic changes before returning to their old ways.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That report is damming. The Filth were anti racist and inclusive only when the media were involved 

Eddie thought his King Kong comment was hilarious ? 

Should have been stripped of all his positions on that day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Hmm.  It's an incremental thing, but any organisation where the balance turns more to protecting the outward appearances than resolving the substance will slowly hollow out and become brittle.

Soviet Union, Catholic Church, Collingwood Football Club, The Marvel Cinematic Universe, my ex's mother. 

The "Axis of Evil" @Little Goffy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

A report written by  activist lawyer Larissa Behrendt finds systemic racism. Color me shocked.

I'm shocked that Collingwood used such a divisive commentator to write a report for them. What were they expecting?

Behrendt once described fellow indigenous commentator, Bess Price, on twitter in disgraceful  terms:

"I watched a show where a guy had sex with a horse and I'm sure it was less offensive than Bess Price."

Charming

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

A club that insists on using the expression "Side by Side" when its colours are black and white stripes was always headed for this sort of problem. I'm not trying to be funny here. Someone at the club should have foreseen the problem and canned the use of "Side by Side" in favour of something more integrated years ago.   

13 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

A report written by  activist lawyer Larissa Behrendt finds systemic racism. Color me shocked.

I'm shocked that Collingwood used such a divisive commentator to write a report for them. What were they expecting?

Behrendt once described fellow indigenous commentator, Bess Price, on twitter in disgraceful  terms:

"I watched a show where a guy had sex with a horse and I'm sure it was less offensive than Bess Price."

Charming

Professor Larissa Behrendt is also:

- Chair of Indigenous Research at the Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning at the University of Technology.
- A founding member of the Australian Academy of Law.
- A member of the Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- A Director of the Jimmy Little Foundation.
- An Order Of Australia Recipient.
- A NAIDOC Person of the Year award winner.
- A NSW Australian of the Year award winner.
- A Walkley nominated writer & director.
- A winner of multiple literary awards.

But sure, you focus on a dumb tweet she posted once and apologized for.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Professor Larissa Behrendt is also:

- Chair of Indigenous Research at the Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning at the University of Technology.
- A founding member of the Australian Academy of Law.
- A member of the Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- A Director of the Jimmy Little Foundation.
- An Order Of Australia Recipient.
- A NAIDOC Person of the Year award winner.
- A NSW Australian of the Year award winner.
- A Walkley nominated writer & director.
- A winner of multiple literary awards.

But sure, you focus on a dumb tweet she posted once and apologized for.

Reminds me of the 'Luigi the Pig $%@er' joke, but she watches one animal video and...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

in the herald-scum, slobbo sais eddie everywhere should resign immediately; rita panahi has gone all 'lefties see racism everywhere' - it was LITERALLY a report into institutionalised racism 

So...tell me why I don't read this rag?

• Like 1