Farewell Josh Mahoney

The_Wrecker_45

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

People give Mahoney too much credit for trading up picks. It’s hardly all that complicated. And largely it’s either taking a huge risk or at best defying the analytics that says trading down is far better value. 

Lamb does the pick trading.

I'm a fan of Mahoney and prefer him to Richo in the role, but I get that Pert wants him out since they went for the same job.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Lamb does the pick trading.

I'm a fan of Mahoney and prefer him to Richo in the role, but I get that Pert wants him out since they went for the same job.

Yep. And other clubs have investment bankers and commercial lawyers, we have the former copper.

I expect Daniel McPherson will now get a promotion and might even be the club spokesperson if Richo is keen to stay in the background.

If Goody is on thin ice I don't think either Pert or Richo will be all that public.

The interesting thing here is going to be a clash of philosophies.

Josh likes to get a deal done and looks for a win/win.

Dodo...wan't win at all cost and couldn't careless about the other party.

Will it work, who's will will win in the end?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

I had a regular Senior player over for dinner 2 weeks ago and he nominated Mahoney as the first bloke he'd move on from the Football Dept.

Been there for far too long for my liking and I am delighted he's going. 

Are you delighted based on just that insight or other issues you've had with the way he operates? Personally I wouldn't say I'm delighted but it's probably the right move. Best of luck to him.

• Like 2

He's a bit maligned on here, not really sure of my opinion on the departure.

As stated by others, writing on the wall after the re-arranging in the offseason. 

At least that'll saves some funds from the soft-cap in the interim?

13 years is a long time, regardless whether you liked him or not i think teh timing is right. Think Josh had a good run, did some really good things  at the club.

Good luck to him.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

I had a regular Senior player over for dinner 2 weeks ago and he nominated Mahoney as the first bloke he'd move on from the Football Dept.

Gonna assume it was vandenBerg  judging by the posts you’ve made about him in the past. Do you know him personally?

6 minutes ago, rjay said:

I'd get rid of the Dodo because he hasn't built a list capable of winning a final in 15 years. But if he was to stay around it's pretty simple, Dodo does the media in trade week because he can handle it, and he gets the results he wants.

Mahoney puts people in good positions to do their jobs. He just couldn't identify enough good people in the right time frame. The time frame at Melbourne has always been pretty generous....have a bad year, see if you can fix it the next. Essendon have been way too much the other way, have a bad year and multiple people pay for it with their jobs.

You know a club is far from being solid when the reshuffling, pushing out the door and sackings continue for consecutive years.

Two years gone and how many names from coaches through to FD personnel have gone? 

Would love to see a list.

We're a strange club.

Basically all on Goodwin this year and if we fail to make the 8, we'll start seeing players want to leave. You can bank it.

After a decade of failed rebuilds resulting in an AFL intervention in which we were basically given Paul Roos and Peter Jackson on  platter, we finally get a rebuild right and now we find ourselves here. An supremely talented but under-performing list with a dysfunctional coaching group and FD which is in no way stabilizing and in my view is having a much greater impact on our playing group then many would like to think.

Never ceases to amaze. Gone from die hard fan to interested observer. Almost as if I'm watching an Attenborough doco at times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rjay said:

Mahoney would be Dodo's boss, so you'd think his will would win.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

Who was second?

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'd get rid of the Dodo because he hasn't built a list capable of winning a final in 15 years.

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Mahoney would be Dodo's boss, so you'd think his will would win.

I think Dodo must have pix...he might win.

Can't see any other reason he has kept his job.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Essendon have been way too much the other way, have a bad year and multiple people pay for it with their jobs.

Only if they are not 'Essendon people'. If they are, job for life.

• Like 1