TEAMS: Rd 15 vs Sydney

titan_uranus

Ins. Harmes ?? Fritsch ??  Smith ? Neal-Bullen ?

outs. Hibberd as expected ? Pickett as expected ?. Vandenburg ? Hannan ?

Lockhart???? Rather him in before Smith to play on Papley

Bedford??? prefer him to Neal-Bullen to replace Pickett (who needs a rest ) 

Fritsch YES back for Hannan 

Harmes YES back for Vandenburg, hoping he tags Parker  

Lucky again!!! Spargo and Oscar. Both are rated ???imo. I’d rather Bedford and Lockhart in and replace the ???s

• Love 1

1 minute ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Ins. Harmes ?? Fritsch ??  Smith ? Neal-Bullen ?

outs. Hibberd as expected ? Pickett as expected ?. Vandenburg ? Hannan ?

Lockhart???? Rather him in before Smith to play on Papley

Bedford??? prefer him to Neal-Bullen to replace Pickett (who needs a rest ) 

Fritsch YES back for Hannan 

Harmes YES back for Vandenburg, hoping he tags Parker  

Lucky again!!! Spargo and Oscar. Both are rated ???imo. I’d rather Bedford and Lockhart in and replace the ???s

absolutely smashed it here however stiff on spargo imo hes still young enough to have an impact and his pressure has been up this year from what ive seen

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sub?

Oh wait.. 

He'd look good in the orange vest.

I'm also happy most, including me, are kind of baffled by his inclusion this week.  We felt that way about a few last week and we know how that turned out. Might have the same effect this week as well.

• Like 1

Spargo v Kangas. Satisfactory. 12 possessions. Showed some ability against a disinterested Kangas team. 

Spargo v Pies.  Golden 3 goals in 5 minutes. Seven possessions.  Missing for 3 quarters. 

Spargo v Bulldogs. 4 possessions. Brushed aside. Unsighted all day. Lucky to survive !!!! 

Spargo v Saints. 8 possessions.  Ineffective. 

Brings forward pressure you say??  Average of 1.2 tackles per game. 

Like Oscar, he gets gifted matches whilst others (like Bedford) are waiting and waiting. 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
X
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

He'd look good in the orange vest.

I'm also happy most, including me, are kind of baffled by his inclusion this week.  We felt that way about a few last week and we know how that turned out. Might have the same effect this week as well.

Yeah look I'm scratching my head. Like i said, I think it'll be a position change for Smith, as @Ethan Tremblay said, we're pretty well drilled down back and feel this could unsettle our back half.

• Like 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeah look I'm scratching my head. Like i said, I think it'll be a position change for Smith, as @Ethan Tremblay said, we're pretty well drilled down back and feel this could unsettle our back half.

I agree 100% mate.  I don't want him down there, even though I was happy at the beginning of the year for them to persist with it.  Our back six has been on fire and the last thing I want to see is Joel Smith crashing packs and spoiling Steven May or Jake Lever.

• Like 2

Just now, binman said:

I reckon he'll play on papley

That worries me already. Smith is quick but Papley is far too dynamic at ground level. He is A grade and I fear if that was the case it could be career killer for Smith..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Turner said:

absolutely smashed it here however stiff on spargo imo hes still young enough to have an impact and his pressure has been up this year from what ive seen

Agree. Brilliant insight from a poster with a great feel for the game and a rare ability to use symbols to highlight key elements of his assessment of particular player's skill set.

Sure some might say using potatoe emojis is a a child like and peurile method to rate a player, but they probably are the types who don't get modern art or impro jazz.

Really I find it amazing a senior AFL coach could diverge so far from sons opinions. 

• Like 1

Sydney has been doing some travelling. 

Although hubbed in WA, last week was in Adelaide and now they fly to far north Qld.

The Nullarbor flights do take a bit out of you.

So three long flights in five days.

Parsley (sorry Papley) didn't have a good game against Port. I hope he doesn't like to travel. Needs someone shoulder to shoulder with him.

Blakey's intercepts, the sling and ball use of the half-back is more my worry. That is how we have been beaten by other teams.

I want to see greater forward pressure, a desire to slow them down, impact the contest and cause turnovers on the wings

Hoping we don't do bad turnovers and we are switched on. 

Kennedy, Parker and Reid are the ones who can hurt us (old fellas).

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Harmes named at half forward.

Could be Smith for Hibberd, Fritsch for Hannan, Harmes for vandenBerg and ANB for Pickett? In terms of keeping structure much the same?

I will go early and say I am not a fan of Smith returning. Hope he proves me wrong.

Haha, thought you'd be happy with Smith's inclusion.

I worry about missing Hibberd's run and carry off half back. Smith, not being a natural footballer IMV, concerns me too. Unless of course we play him forward and play Harmes off half back, which could be the go too.

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

May and Lever have performed really well when he was out for those couple of weeks.

The whole Omac makes them better players is a giant myth. Even Lever scoffed at that suggestion during his press conference. 

Tomlinson took Oscar's place in those games. We clearly want to use Tomlinson up the ground to give us run and cover through the midfield. We need two gut-running wingers to support our centre mids and forwards.

Oscar was fine last week. He stays in because the defence was really solid and playing the third tall gives Lever and May flexibility to peel off or in May's case, play small.

Edited by A F

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Left field idea: Play Smith forward and Brown in the ruck (or even vice versa) so that Max can play less game time. Thoughts?

Could depend on how the game goes, this is not me getting ahead of myself but more a scenario should it play out this way: if we do happen to get a big lead in the last quarter I would definitely look at playing those two in the ruck as much as possible and give Max either a rest on the bench or forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A F said:

I'd say so. He's had enough time to cement a spot and hasn't. 

I really thought Hunt had the tools to be a top player, he just looks lost every time he’s out there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I don't 'hate' Oscar.. I don't hate any of our players. I've been blunt on some of his performance this year but I've also given him praise when it was there. I t said at the start of the week that while Oscar made poor errors on the weekend it wasn't a bad performance as some made out. Though I had him as an omission this weekend due to Sydney running with only 2 key forwards and imo i simply didn't see a match up for him. Goody and the coaching staff obviously do and I'll back them in.

Regards to the question I felt the reporter was trying to justify Levers good performance down to Oscar McDonald being in the side. I thought Lever answered well by saying that 'Don't want to have to keep Oscar out there for me to play well...' to me that says that while it's handy having Oscar there, both May and Lever have performed just as well without him. 

It seems like they're now wanting to build some chemistry between Lever, May, Omac for the next few weeks.

I prefer Tomlinson as the 3rd tall and going off Tom Morris recent article it seems like coaching staff do for the future.

Agree!Some poor errors but I don't hate Any of our players, but just watched replay and iteratate that O Mac  is slow of foot and reaction times. I believe Smith is a good inclusion and hope he plays forward! Hunts non inclusion is also of concern!

Edited by picket fence

B: SALEM, MAY, LEVER

HB: RIVERS, O.MCDONALD, J.WAGNER

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, TOMLINSON

HF: MELKSHAM, BROWN, FRITSCH

F: NEAL-BULLEN, WEIDEMAN, SPARGO

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, HARMES, JONES, SMITH

Smith is the interesting one will play him forward or back. I think Rivers will get Papley. Does Harmes play in the middle allowing Smith to play down back when talk was he was going to stay back. Fritsch is a great in and Neal-Bullen really has to find another level on defensive to replace Pickett.

It would be quite a surprise to see Smith played forward when he’s been training as a defender for quite a while now. To flip that on its head, at this stage, does not seem very Goodwin-like

All will be revealed when I knock off at 4.30pm with beer in hand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cards13 said:

But I thought Vanders makes everyone on our side walk taller and everyone on the opposition walk smaller? How will we cover that omission? 

Seriously with the lack of 2s games having to come into the top side would be hard work this year without much other really competitive footy. Good luck to the guys coming in.

Thank christ Vanders is finally out of the side! This whole tough guy Demonland myth that he makes opponent's look over their shoulder - when in reality Mihocek probably didn't know his name until he read it on the bottom of the card. 

• Like 3