TEAMS: Rd 14 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

21 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Not sure about the selections, but any side that includes Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Langdon, May and Weideman leaves no excuses against a middle of the road side. 

And yet they sit well above us.

On paper most pundits remark about the quality but we are struggling again. Its not injuries this year either. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jaded said:

No idea what Lockhart did wrong to be dropped. Agree that we need an extra tall down back given Saints are quite top heavy up forward. Brown can’t do worse than Tmac and Harmes, well maybe if they played him in a correct position he may perform. 
Overall a big meh and god help us if we get smashed, as I suspect we will. 

I heard Lockhart didn't clean his breakfast dishes

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Totally baffled by what we have done to Harmes.  How James Harmes has been transformed from 3rd B&F in 2018 & 2019 to a fringe player is nothing short of a disgrace.

It has been touted as a strength of the team that we have a multitude of players that can hold their own and be rotated through the midfield.  I also hardley think it's disputed that Harmes is our best run-with tagger to shut down an opposition's dominant mid.  However:

1. We have barely rotated our mids; and

2..  There have been numerous occasions this season when an opposition midfeild has got on top of us without a serious attempt to shut down their prime movers.  (Lions, Power and Bulldogs the most obvious ones).

To me, the second point reeks a bit of arrogance, like we think Oliver, Patracca, Viney and Brayshaw feeding off Gawn are better than anyone else's midfeild that we expect our guys to offensively get on top of the opposition every week and have no plan B for when the tables are turned.  If there are any signs of an opposition side getting on top in the guts, Harmes and/or Viney should be sent to their most dangerous on baller.  That we didn't tag Lachie Neale and others with Harmes is ridiculous.  We probably beat Brisbane if we tagged Neale with Harmes.

I also agree that trying to play Harmes as a defender is a dud move.  He's hardley Jordan Lewis like in his abbility to read the play and position himself defensively.

I really think we should be looking to rotate all of Harmes, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and Patracca through the forward line.  They all have pretty good goal sense, kicking ability, tackling and marking attributes as forwards.  None of them have particularly good attributes as permanent backman. 

I still also rate Harmes highly for his line breaking ability through the midfield.  Asides from Patracca, I think he has the best ability within our team to break away from/through congestion in the middle of the ground with strength and speed.  He may also deliver into the forward line with more accuracy than Patracca.

Such a waste.

I'm siding with these comments on harmes

I hope Goodwin gets selection right this weekend. I'm worried but it's a ballsy call

Almost like his future will pivot on this one game. Lose and we're most likely done and he'll look like a chump.  Win and he'll look like a brilliant strategist. 

Why does it have to come to this tho. We have so much talent and yet the coach can't seem to get them playing consistent hard football. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Harmes finds out on a Friday morning that he's being dropped, sends out a bunch of texts to mates back in Melbourne that he's not happy with Goodwins direction, that circulates everywhere which then gets in the hands of LN.

How this leaks in such a short space of time especially around the sensitivity with Goodwin is not giving good direction is bizarre. 

What gets me @Bitter but optimistic is how this is leaking from a hub. I get it if we're still in melbourne but its not the case. This kind of stuff should not be leaking onto a domain public. 

Either Harmes isn't bright up stairs or someone within the club is being a snitch..

Trying to PM you mate, think your inbox is full maybe? Happy to provide you with more direct info that I won't post here.

Edited by Lord Nev

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Is this legit?

How does this information exactly get leaked from within the inner sanctum 8 hours after team selection?

Something doesn't add up...

Yes, it's legit, the person who told me would 100% know.

Will PM you more info that I won't post publicly, but ultimately up to you if you believe someone who has posted solid info plenty of times or the usual trolls who only contribute abuse of other posters and the odd joke.

6 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Sauce Rusty !!!! It's an old Demonland joke !

BTW are you smoking that Tobasco ?

My bad.  The old No B$ thread stuff!?  I might need too after tonight.  Hopefully not

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Will PM you more info that I won't post publicly, but ultimately up to you if you believe someone who has posted solid info plenty of times or the usual trolls who only contribute abuse of other posters and the odd joke.

I think Uncle deserves a little more credit than that LN!  Ask his maid ?

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

You might as well tell us who you're referencing Nev.

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dropping Fritsch for being late is dumb, dumb, dumb. Fine him. Make him clean the showers. Do anything else that sends a message APART from harming the team’s chances of a much-needed victory. 

And dropping Lockhart is ridiculous. But who knows? Maybe he’s also being punished for something. Falling asleep during one of Simon Goodwin’s inspirational team addresses, perhaps. 

• Like 2

Firstly I was baffled, angry, confused, nauseous, bitter and then repeat 3 times. I smell a stinker.

On the face of it, it's really odd. But let's try and keep the glass half full just for another 12 hours... Might be horses for courses on that ground specifically.

Max in speaks for itself.

Wagner to play outside mid. Has defensive pressure. Kicked goals in scratch match also. Could run with Butler when forward.

Rivers may play on a wing, I don't mind that. Looks to hit long targets. 

Brown in makes our forward line more mobile and will get to more contests, this will free up space. TMac's turning circle is about as wide as a road train.

Hannan to play Fritsch role. Can mark and find space. Spargo and Kozzie must lift. 

Oscar frees up Lever. Tomlinson to play wing and on ball and chop out Max when needed. Could go forward also.

Jones spare mid/HFF. Can score from 50. Think that's more his thing now. 8 possession 5 tackle 2 goal game i'd take right now.

This team is more flexible IMO. You'd also expect Richo to bring some knowledge.

Needless to say, we cough it up and bring lapses like last week we'll be tuning back in March 2021

Let's back them in. We bring intensity we're right in this. Go Dees. 

Saints have dropped Carlisle for an extra on-baller giving them a shorter backline and more mobility around the ground.  Little doubt how they will play.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Trying to PM you mate, think your inbox is full maybe? Happy to provide you with more direct info that I won't post here.

You're assuming a lot. Maybe it's been going on for some time

Harmes has not been happy playing in the backline for some time it would seem

36 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

You can pm me... Pls

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

I'm siding with these comments on harmes

I hope Goodwin gets selection right this weekend. I'm worried but it's a ballsy call

Almost like his future will pivot on this one game. Lose and we're most likely done and he'll look like a chump.  Win and he'll look like a brilliant strategist. 

Why does it have to come to this tho. We have so much talent and yet the coach can't seem to get them playing consistent hard football. 

Some conjecture over the "so much" part Jnr but that is certainly the million $$ question right there mate.

I come back to my gut feel re motivational aspects.  Apparantly the players love Goody (most/all/some?), not that they all have to and in the real world such fairy tales rarely exist.

But, for arguments sake, let's say/assume most of them do.  This love part however doesn't necessarily correspond to player's excelling or performing on the day imv.  Maybe he is just a tad 'too nice/pally' and the fear component required to get message = response (ie motivation) ain't quite there or to the level one might require for AFL match day performance.

Could be wrong but that's been my concern all along.

I have no idea how we are going to beat the Saints today with the team we have

Mitch Brown, Nathan Jones, AVB, Viney, Brayshaw, Wagner, Salem?

Where is our pace? 

I'm really concerned and someone here said we've already lost this one at the selection table and they may could be right

Starting to really think our list is kinda meh

It always comes down to those bottom 4-5 players and if they are solid (Richmond + Geelong prime examples) it makes for an overall handy side

I'd be stunned if we are within 15 points of Saints today 

Anyways - let's hope Max, Oliver and Tracc gets us over the line. They're all I have faith in anymore (Oh and May has been very good this year) 

5 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

how do you end up late when all you need to do is follow your mates out the door ... seems odd this one ... makes you think there is more to it ... leadership group would have probably voted on it with coaching staff

Maybe a brainfade tantrum, fairy Nuff after all the criticism about his kicking for goal, of late.