Obscure Ex-Demons

Demonland

16 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Robert Walters.  Played about 25 games for the Dees in the late 70s and early 80s.

We had been belted by 190 points to the Lions in late season 1979 at VFL Park. It was as dark a day as I can remember.  I sat through it and was gutted after the game for hours if not days.  Then in round 2, we played the Lions again at VFL park. Walters has shown ability as a 6ft tall opportunist full forward. Walters kicked 7 goals as we upset the Lions by a few goals. I think they almost were going to carry him off the ground. I think he was injured shortly thereafter in the season and then always was injured again with a variety of problems. 

image3472

Suffered some trouble with the law which was a shame. His injuries, debts all played into it I believe. Nickname: Piggy.

Edited by pitmaster

Yeah I remember Sid Caitlin. Shooting star like Walters. Kicked 7 goals in a match!  Not too many have done that.

Rod Owen did out at Waverley one time before vanishing. There was Diamond Jim Tilbrook of course - he kicked 7 on debut but then everyone worked out he was one-sided, could only turn one way. One trick pony. Whatever happened to 'Spoonhead"?

• Like 1

Tom Flower, should have played a lot more games than he did ! Silky smooth left footer, evasive skills, Quick and could kick a goal.

Kicked 5 Against the Filth which says a lot. His Demon Wiki stats are very impressive. But Carl Ditterich didn't like him so that was the end at MFC.

Best First year player 1977 Top bloke as well!!

Tom Flower

Born:3-Dec-1957 (Debut:19y 155d Last:21y 209d)

Height:184 cm Weight:72 kg

VFL/AFL: 8897th player to appear, 5649th most games played, 2938th most goals kicked
Melbourne: 968th player to appear, 498th most games played, 236th most goals kicked

Year   Team   #   GM   W-D-L   KI   MK   HB   DI   GL   BH   HO   TK   RB   IF   CL   CG   FF   FA   BR   CP   UP   CM   MI   1%   BO   GA  
Totals 26 6-0-20 289 64 96 385 28 22             39 41                
Averages 8.67 23.08% 11.12 2.46 3.69 14.81 1.08 0.88             1.56 1.64                
1977 Melbourne 34 11 3-0-8 127 32 34 161 8 8             11 10                
1978 Melbourne 34 9 2-0-7 112 19 37 149 9 4             17 20                
1979 Melbourne 34 6 1-0-5 50 13 25 75 11 10             11 11                
[Top]
Top 10   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  
Disposals 24 23 22 22 22 18 18 17 16 16
Kicks 19 19 18 16 15 14 14 13 13 13
Marks 7 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 3
Handballs 8 7 6 6 5 5 5 4 4 4
Goals 5 3 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 1
Behinds 3 3 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 1
Frees 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 2
Frees Against 4 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

This guy; i thought he was going to be a gun.....sadly not to be

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O'Sullivan_(footballer)

This fella was so unlucky with injuries - and when match fit, so talented. 

14 hours ago, dieter said:

He was a smoker. I recall a quarter time break in the Reserves at the Footscray oval on the day  Brian Roet demolished Ray Baxter's claim to be the next Victorian Centre half Forward - I played cricket with Ray in the mid 1970's at Ewing in Central Park .It was probably  Rowarth's his last year, 1963, and like a lot of players, he was lit up, sucking on a Craven A, maybe a Turf, maybe a Capstan, maybe a Rothmans....A bloke I went to school with in the 60's lived in Apollo Bay for years. He knew Alan Rowarth, always spoke highly of him.

Reminds me about how many cigarettes Crackers Keenan puffed at half-time breaks ... 

Ted Fidge was pretty tough and played some decent footy if I recall correctly. 

He came from Bentleigh. Did he have a brother that played ? 

Fidge never took a backward step.

image2877

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

Did he have a brother that played ? 

Yep, John Fidge played for us.  We had very high hopes for him, but alas ...

This from Demonwiki:

The 1982 Victorian Teal Cup player and younger brother of Ted Fidge debuted two years later as a 17-year-old, and was a reliable forward in his first two seasons until right foot stress fractures kept him to just six games in 1986. He had been rumoured to be pursued by another league club earlier that season, but for 1987 was cleared to the newly formed Brisbane Bears at the end of that season for $125,000 - their fifth highest transfer fee for a recruit.

Fidge played in the Bears winning first match, and appeared 16 times for them in 1987. After eight matches the next year he was sacked by the Bears three weeks into the 1989 season, apparently after punching Warwick Capper in an intra-club game and abusing coach Peter Knights. He then threatened to take the Bears to court for full payment of his contract.

At the end of the year he was drafted by the Sydney Swans but instead chose to join SANFL side Glenelg where he became their full-forward. In 1990 he booted 124 goals. At the end of that year Essendon picked him with selection 24 in the National Draft, but he did not play a game for them.

Returning to Glenelg in 1992 he kicked 92 goals out of a total of 316 in 69 games for the Bays, then joined Frankston in 1994.

During his playing career Fidge had 20 operations, and later revealed that he played with spondiolythesis (back injury) throughout his time in the game.

image6706

• Like 2

Ted Fidge played 42 games for us, and in last year of 1988 only played the one game ... but what a game!

We were playing Collingwood at Waverley and Fidgey snotted Magpie star and matchwinner Darren Millane hard enough for Pants to have no further impact on the game (may have even been carried off).  Young Ted copped six weeks from the tribunal and we never saw him again.  We won the game by the way!

Edited by demonstone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Jeff Hilton was one of my favorites 'had potential' type players for a bit and was good for a bit of bash, crash and snagging a sneaky goal here or there.  He had games where he would really turn it on, get off the chain and play like a champion.

Jeff Hilton ended up playing football at Beaconsfield. He also played basketball at the old stadium in Pakenham, where I had a bit to do with him. He was a really nice, quiet bloke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

Bob Gormly, The Tossel brothers, Glen Walley, Nick Pesch, Marty Hore, Graham Hunnibel, Ross Funcke, Peter Dilnot. 15 minutes of fame between them.

Add Phil Egan's one and only game...

Phil carman, John Gallus, Craig Ellis, Craig Turley, Nathan Bassett

Edited by dieter

I really liked Jay Viney. Not so good as Todd his brother and made quite a few mistakes in his 1st year. But fast and courageous. Well I thought so. i thought he would have a breakout season with us. But then I was a fan of Tom Flower...

Edited by Damo

Ray Groom - premier of Tasmania (was given 31 after RDB left)

Tony Thiessen - played a blinder at CHF at the MCG in one game (I think against Fitzroy) in the early 60s and then no more

Owen Zinko - the great hope of his time

Alastair Clarkson, Antony MacDonald and Stephen Powell - the best front running, left footed goal scorers from 2000 complementing Shane Woewodin (definitely not obscure)

Russell Richards - a true rhino who couldn't conform to RDB disciplined playing style but at his best could be an AVB on steroids

Simon Godfrey - like the duracell bunny who never stopped running to make position but who was constantly ignored (sometimes because he ran to the wrong spot but at least he ran to make position when others merely waved their arms)

Maurie Bartlett - man mountain who was still huge 40 years later but worn down by a labouring life

Doug Koop and Dean Chiron - journeymen footballers who became indispensable members of the 1987 finals campaign 

David Flintoff - Garry's cousin?

• Like 1

Jeff Chapman, a schoolboy star for Carey Grammar. He played first 2 games in 66 as full forward after starring in preseason. Kicked 8 goals in a club practice match on Tassie Johnson.  Touted as our new Ron Barassi, due to his guts and determination. Alas he only played the 2 matches. Too slow, poor skills and lacked height and spring. Played on Bob Murray of St Kilda and was given a bath. Played out the season in the 2s and was cleared to Hawthorn but never played a game.  Given the hype before the season he was one of the biggest flops of all time. 

His post footy life was the exact opposite.  A highly successful investment manager, owned his own private family company, and a huge philanthropist. Five years ago his wealth was valued at 800 mill. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Jeff Chapman, a schoolboy star for Carey Grammar. He played first 2 games in 66 as full forward after starring in preseason. Kicked 8 goals in a club practice match on Tassie Johnson.  Touted as our new Ron Barassi, due to his guts and determination. Alas he only played the 2 matches. Too slow, poor skills and lacked height and spring. Played on Bob Murray of St Kilda and was given a bath. Played out the season in the 2s and was cleared to Hawthorn but never played a game.  Given the hype before the season he was one of the biggest flops of all time. 

His post footy life was the exact opposite.  A highly successful investment manager, owned his own private family company, and a huge philanthropist. Five years ago his wealth was valued at 800 mill. 

$800 mill ???? I might touch him up for a quid.