B: JETTA, MAY, LEVER

HB: LOCKHART, O.MCDONALD, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, TOMLINSON

HF: NEAL-BULLEN, T.MCDONALD, JONES

F: SPARGO, FRITSCH, MELKSHAM

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, HARMES, SALEM, WEIDEMAN

EMERG: PICKETT, JACKSON, BEDFORD, HORE

Vanders, Petty and Bennell are 3 of a possible best 22 that are out otherwise it's a pretty strong team.

• Like 2

OK, I've assumed VDB and Salem don't come up. They definitely both would be picked if fit.

I've also ruled out Petty, Joel Smith and Jimmy Hannan - all of whom would have been in the mix if fully fit - although Smith and Hannan are close to resuming anyway. I've also assumed Weid is fit to play, which leaves Brown and Spargo as emergencies.

Spargo misses because we all want to see Kozzie play (coach included) and also because the size of the Eagles means we have to go big as well. But if they go small, then a decision will be required on which of Jackson and Weid misses.

That leaves our Rd 1 side as:

7 def: RFs: Lever, Harmes, O.Mac, Jetta, Lockhart. LFs: Hibberd, May

8 mids: Gawn, Viney, Oliver, Trac, Brayshaw, Langdon, Tomlinson, Jones

7 fwds: Melksham, T.Mac, Fritsch, Jackson, Weid, ANB, Kozzie

Emerg: Brown, Spargo, Hore  

• Like 2

B: Jetta May Lever
HB: Hibberd Omac Harmes
C : Langdon Viney Tomlinson 
HF: Melksham Wiedeman ANB
FF: Bedford T Mac, Fritsch
R: Gawn Oliver Petracca

interchange: Jones Brayshaw Lockhart Spargo/Pickett 

Salem not considered at this stage because of illness.

It is going to be a tough first up selection for the WC game. I think we need to play all three of OMac, May and Lever. Jetta, Hibberd and Harmes make up the rest of the back 6 with Lockhart to rotate through there. Midfield picks its self to a large extent and I noticed during the Hawks game that at the center bounces we seemed to have Petracca and Oliver there a constants with the third being Viney, Brayshaw and, in the second half, Harmes. Generally I like to see at least 1 players that can rotate into midfield positions during a game. I feel we are one short in this team but that is a reaction to the WC forward setup.

In the forwards I think we have a very good, flexible mix of players that we can use to our advantage. All of them have good engines and can, according to matchups, use this to advantage. I have preferred Bedford to others for this very reason. He has surprised me this preseason with his fitness and general play. 

Spargo or Pickett in the I/C but I could have also thrown in Sparrow who I have a lot of time for.

Wiedeman to to relieve in ruck and I would look at Max resting forward.

HB: Hibberd Omac Salem
HF: Melksham Wiedeman Jones
FF: Spargo T Mac, Fritsch

I/C:: Brayshaw Pickett Harmes ANB

If Salem doesn't get up I'd bring in Lockhart and shift Harmes to HBF. 

One thing I really want to see in this game is for us to be physical. Across every area of the game. 

Eagles Backs (Gov + Barrass) have had interrupted pre-seasons

NicNat is still building to full health, but I think Max has better endurance than him. Max will need to stop him from doing those freaky things which lifts not only his team, but the whole OS crowd

And their forward line of JK (elbow) and Darling (cheek) aren't at full health either. 

Nothing dirty of course but a few big tackles and bumps could shake them up. 

I'm confident we can beat them. I know pre-season you can't read much into form, but they've been dead average. They were inconsistent last year and the loss of Willie Rioli is big. 

I'm quietly confident and excited if anything. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MF-C said:

HB: Hibberd Omac Salem
HF: Melksham Wiedeman Jones
FF: Spargo T Mac, Fritsch

I/C:: Brayshaw Pickett Harmes ANB

If Salem doesn't get up I'd bring in Lockhart and shift Harmes to HBF. 

Lockhart has to play his pre season form has been terrific. Straight swap for me if Salem doesn't play for Pickett. 

Edited by WERRIDEE
  • Like 2

afl.com's predictions

image.png.671f4b272c74d533d0fe47bc12054590.png

Note: They've gone with Jackson over Weideman and Brown. I honestly can't really split them. We haven't seen enough from them in pre season games in terms of an obvious stand out so it will be whoever has trained/worked their way in or based on matchups of course. 

Biggest concern would be playing the third and ninth shortest players in the league in Kozzy and Spargo. I really doubt we go with that but who knows.

Edited by Yung Blood

i've come around to the thinking that they'll play all three talls at either end, and go with the kids over the not-quite-kids-anymore, primarily cos of the belief that jackson can play in any spot on the ground

can't see salem getting up if he has glandular fever / covid-19

B: Jetta - May - Lever
HB: Lockhart - O Mac - Hibberd
? Langdon - Petracca - Tomlinson
HF: Jones - T Mac - Melksham
F: Weideman - Fritsch - ANB
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Harmes - Jackson - Brayshaw - Pickett
Emerg: Spargo - Bedford - Sparrow - Brown

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat

5 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i've come around to the thinking that they'll play all three talls at either end, and go with the kids over the not-quite-kids-anymore, primarily cos of the belief that jackson can play in any more on the ground

can't see salem getting up if he has glandular fever / covid-19

B: Jetta - May - Lever
HB: Lockhart - O Mac - Hibberd
? Langdon - Petracca - Tomlinson
HF: Jones - T Mac - Melksham
F: Weideman - Fritsch - ANB
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Harmes - Jackson - Brayshaw - Pickett
Emerg: Spargo - Bedford - Sparrow - Brown

It's   hard to predict But at least we have some quality and flexibility.

Whatever makes you think that Salem has Covid-19?

Thst is irresponsible IMO to even put that in your post.

Have you any evidence or would you like one of your family in a public media even alluding a possibility of contraction if this disease at this crucial time.

I am surprised Demonland allowed this in your post!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 58er said:

It's   hard to predict But at least we have some quality and flexibility.

Whatever makes you think that Salem has Covid-19?

Thst is irresponsible IMO to even put that in your post.

Have you any evidence or would you like one of your family in a public media even alluding a possibility of contraction if this disease at this crucial time.

I am surprised Demonland allowed this in your post!

i believe he was tested for it; results ain't been released

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 11:17 PM, WERRIDEE said:

B: JETTA, MAY, LEVER

HB: LOCKHART, O.MCDONALD, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, TOMLINSON

HF: NEAL-BULLEN, T.MCDONALD, JONES

F: SPARGO, FRITSCH, MELKSHAM

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, HARMES, SALEM, WEIDEMAN

EMERG: PICKETT, JACKSON, BEDFORD, HORE

Vanders, Petty and Bennell are 3 of a possible best 22 that are out otherwise it's a pretty strong team.

Lockhart, Hibberd, Jetta and Lever are going to have to do a heap of running to cover CHB, their respective opponents and the flow of the game because the backline freeway is in place again. Hore - of the selected players - should be brought in for the WEagles. 

Happy with the AFL team prediction. I would assume the AFL will follow other sports and play in locked down stadiums. If that is the case we have a real chance playing in WA with no RABID WC supporters swaying the umpires and helping out the Weagles. Go Dees.

PS - Hope they charter a plane. Do not want players and officials having any chance of catching this virus.

I'm not big on these sorts of threads because there are so many considerations that are totally out of our control.  But hopefully when people see some of the teams above they will start seeing how close to being out of the side Jones is.  He needs to earn games this year, and not be given a free pass to the 300-club because of loyalty.

3 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

I'm not big on these sorts of threads because there are so many considerations that are totally out of our control.  But hopefully when people see some of the teams above they will start seeing how close to being out of the side Jones is.  He needs to earn games this year, and not be given a free pass to the 300-club because of loyalty.

yes he does thats footy clubs are about,loyalty