Training Ground?

Romey

1 hour ago, Rednblueriseing said:

70k members chip in 200 each that's 14m + the coterie donations hopefully 5m the club has 10m thats nearly 30 the afl matches our 30 and the state and federal stump up the remaining 40m... done

First...we don't have 70K members.  There are only about 40K adult individual members.  Take away duplicate memberships, children  etc.

Second...All those people don't have a spare $200 available, especially today.

Third...the Board has said they will not spend the proceeds from Bentleigh Club, Leighoak on a base.   ( why for heavens sake?)

The MCC owes us heaps and should contribute after 160+ years of bleeding the football public, mainly MFC.

The big opportunity was fluffed by the Board post the premiership.  No fundraising toward a future base, when supporters were throwing money at the club with merchandise sales. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, chookrat said:

Re funding, based on below it looks like most clubs have received in the order of $30 - 50m in State and Federal Government funding for facilities in the past 20 years.

Geelong being the exception

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, biggestred said:

"The Caulfield proposal includes two football ovals, two rectangular ovals and walking tracks."

whats a rectangular oval??

I've been fortunate enough to see the design of the two proposed ovals.

Here it is.

Screenshot_20241025_115956_Chrome.jpg.9d8e872d6b163a4f57efd710e363afe5.jpg

• Haha 6

I don’t see this as an issue… no one builds a facility like this with 100% cash. The club will have $30m from cash reserves and members donations. Assume they will be able to raise another $25m from governments, the AFL, the Melbourne Cricket Club and private investors and benefactors. It will leave a $45m shortfall which would be borrowed and paid down over decades. The club generates $60m in revenue. Paying the debt off at $3m annually isn’t a concern.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

The MCC owes us heaps and should contribute after 160+ years of bleeding the football public, mainly MFC.

George, this is what my father said 45 years ago.  He hated the MCC.

In terms of fund raising, tbh, I think you need a concrete proposal that has a very high chance of actually going ahead before you ask for donations.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

As a separate note MRC want a return on the land so who funds the rent on the admin centre, gym, oval etc. It won't be cheap

Heh D_J can you elaborate on this please.  The MRC is a tenant with a lease from the Race Course Trust.  And the rent isnt very high.  I dont understand how the MRC get a return other than renting out their facilitiess on non racing days.

The MFC will also be a tenant with a lease from the RCT.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

6 hours ago, Rednblueriseing said:

70k members chip in 200 each that's 14m + the coterie donations hopefully 5m the club has 10m thats nearly 30 the afl matches our 30 and the state and federal stump up the remaining 40m... done

I'd be more than willing to chip in an extra $500 o top of my membership if it guaranteed us getting our homebase built. Reckon there'd be a fair few more too willing to put money in.

There was lots of talk after we won the flag of very well off supporters ringing up the club wanting to help fund getting a home base. Im sure most if not all would be willing to put money up, after all, a home is ultimately more important for us than a premiership now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

I'd be more than willing to chip in an extra $500 o top of my membership if it guaranteed us getting our homebase built. Reckon there'd be a fair few more too willing to put money in.

There was lots of talk after we won the flag of very well off supporters ringing up the club wanting to help fund getting a home base. Im sure most if not all would be willing to put money up, after all, a home is ultimately more important for us than a premiership now.

Agreed. If they had a financial target I think a ton of members, myself included, would go the extra mile to help. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Oxdee said:

I don’t see this as an issue… no one builds a facility like this with 100% cash. The club will have $30m from cash reserves and members donations. Assume they will be able to raise another $25m from governments, the AFL, the Melbourne Cricket Club and private investors and benefactors. It will leave a $45m shortfall which would be borrowed and paid down over decades. The club generates $60m in revenue. Paying the debt off at $3m annually isn’t a concern.

I don't think the plan includes any borrowing...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chookrat said:

Good to read that the Caulfield Racecourse Reserve Trust is supportive of our proposal and that as a tenant the Melbourne Racing Club's view on the matter doesn't carry alot of weight.

Re funding, based on below it looks like most clubs have received in the order of $30 - 50m in State and Federal Government funding for facilities in the past 20 years. Given we had little funding in the 20 years preceding this it would be reasonable to assume that we would receive at the upper end of this minus the funding we received to develop Casey, so probably should expect in the order of $40m between State and Federal Government and a top up from Glen Eira Council. This leaves ~$30m from Members and Benefactors.

I don't buy onto the argument that State and Federal Government don't have the money.  Outside of Wartime or a Great Depression there is always funding available for this sort of project.

https://australiansportreflections.com/2024/02/28/update-on-federal-and-state-governments-funding-of-afl-and-nrl-high-performance-training-centres/?amp=1

The feds issue the currency, it's unlimited. The constraints are self imposed by nuffy neoliberals. They need to get people working and projects happening. The developers will make money too, and they basically run the joint.

Commonwealth should stop issuing debt tomorrow and the alarmism around government debt would be no longer. The banks and shadow banks love corporate welfare though - non bearing reserves for interest bearing bonds are always preferable for them.

I do think there is a good angle to raise federal financing, state and local too. It's just that we haven't found the right angle. Given how the MCC views us, I'd expect our financing strategy to be pretty ordinary.

12 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

I don't think the plan includes any borrowing...

So it’s either raise $100m or don’t go ahead with the plan? It’s outrageous not to consider borrowings. Imagine people having to wait until they saved enough to buy their houses outright? No one would ever buy 

• Clap 1