JakovichScissorKick

Pick 2 in the Preseason Draft

6 minutes ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Jack Martin is off the table.  Who will we take?    Ben Sokol from the WAFL?  Another Casey kid? 

Why is he off the table?

If we want him, we back end some other contracts. His asking price is about what was always expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Jack Martin is off the table.  Who will we take?    Ben Sokol from the WAFL?  Another Casey kid? 

Ben Sokol definitely 

3 hours ago, 58er said:

Ben Sokol definitely 

The problem with drafting him in the PSD is that he has to be entered into that draft and I don’t think that’s the case.

Sokol will enter the national draft. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

No-one

Why would you waste the advantage of pick 2 in the PSD.  Surely you could organise a player to nominate for the PSD.

McBean!  A ready-made forward who can pinch in the ruck as needed.  He can hold down the spot until Bradke gets his game together. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Why would you waste the advantage of pick 2 in the PSD.  Surely you could organise a player to nominate for the PSD.

No one uses it anymore, it was going out of vogue and that was even before they introduced pre and mid season supplementary drafts, delisted free agency etc. Pick 1 or 2 is no longer a bonus (especially when melb doesn't take a ruthless approach to Martin)

• Like 3

It seems players taken in the PSD are not on the same or similar contractual terms to players taken in the national draft (which I understand involves standardised terms).

If we want Ben Sokol, presumably this is one reason why he’d hold off entering the national draft and instead come to us in the PSD (because we can offer him slightly better terms than he may otherwise get in the national draft).

Also - it avoids the lottery of potentially getting picked up by clubs like the Dockers or the Crows. Or even worse, Carlton.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

AFAIK, the PSD is open to uncontracted AFL players and players who were not selected in the ND or RD. So Sokol has to register for the ND or RD first.

Uncontracted delisted AFL players can be picked up in DFA or SSP so they don't  need to go into the PSD like they used to, e.g. Bennell, Murray.

Only players like Martin who are out of contract but not delisted can go in the PSD. So I think this pool is small to non existent.

Therefore no-one.

I could be wrong ...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

AFAIK, the PSD is open to uncontracted AFL players and players who were not selected in the ND or RD. So Sokol has to register for the ND or RD first.

Uncontracted delisted AFL players can be picked up in DFA or SSP so they don't  need to go into the PSD like they used to, e.g. Bennell, Murray.

Only players like Martin who are out of contract but not delisted can go in the PSD. So I think this pool is small to non existent.

Therefore no-one.

I could be wrong ...

Martin has delisted himself from GCS' list. He can now do that.

"Martin delisted himself from Gold Coast on Monday, nominating terms for a new home in the upcoming NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft."

Blues set to nab million-dollar Sun in Pre-Season Draft

According to my sources (wikipedia) there has only been one pre-season draft since 2014, and in that draft, only one pick was used.

Only 3 players have been selected through the PSD since 2012 and Melbourne last used a pick in 2010 for Joel MacDonald.

With all the other trade, free agency, delisted free agency, supplementary selection, mid-season draft and mainly the Rookie Draft - the PSD is obsolete.

I'm confused. 

18 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

Why is he off the table?

If we want him, we back end some other contracts. His asking price is about what was always expected.

He hasn't even met with us. Not once. Won't be happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

He hasn't even met with us. Not once. Won't be happening.

Of course he hasn't, why would he when he is clearly trying to get to Carlton.

I don't believe for a second that the club has ruled a line through him, as mentioned in one of the articles we have tried to meet him on numerous occasions.

The Demons have said they are not interested in recruiting a player that does not want to be at the club but they are eager to get in front of Martin and put a case to him. They have made several unsuccessful attempts to speak with him so far.

Clearly we have not given up.

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Martin has delisted himself from GCS' list. He can now do that.

"Martin delisted himself from Gold Coast on Monday, nominating terms for a new home in the upcoming NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft."

Blues set to nab million-dollar Sun in Pre-Season Draft

OK

Only players like Martin who are out of contract and have delisted themselves need to go in the PSD

Edited by Fifty-5

43 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

Of course he hasn't, why would he when he is clearly trying to get to Carlton.

I don't believe for a second that the club has ruled a line through him, as mentioned in one of the articles we have tried to meet him on numerous occasions.

The Demons have said they are not interested in recruiting a player that does not want to be at the club but they are eager to get in front of Martin and put a case to him. They have made several unsuccessful attempts to speak with him so far.

Clearly we have not given up.

I like your optimism mate, but we've taken different things from that article.

I can't see us paying a million dollars to a player who could very well demand a trade end of next season, and the fact that he won't even meet us tells you how much interest he has in being at MFC and what that means for their decision.

I like your optimism mate, but we've taken different things from that article.

I can't see us paying a million dollars to a player who could very well demand a trade end of next season, and the fact that he won't even meet us tells you how much interest he has in being at MFC and what that means for their decision.

What I take is the club will continue to push for a meeting. If they say to him the day before the draft we are taking you, then he might actually meet with the club.

If we paid him a million for a season then he asked to leave, there is no way that would happen without getting a first rounder for him. So I would be more than happy to absorb the cap space for a first rounder.

While it is unlikely that we will take him I am glad to hear the club hasn't ruled him out and is still trying to get in touch.

27 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

What I take is the club will continue to push for a meeting. If they say to him the day before the draft we are taking you, then he might actually meet with the club.

If we paid him a million for a season then he asked to leave, there is no way that would happen without getting a first rounder for him. So I would be more than happy to absorb the cap space for a first rounder.

While it is unlikely that we will take him I am glad to hear the club hasn't ruled him out and is still trying to get in touch.

Fair enough, can see where you're coming from.

I just wouldn't be risking a million dollars on a player who could very well pull a Cam McCarthy on us and leave us with a huge bill and nothing to show for it. And that's before you take into account the fact we've said we don't want someone who doesn't want to play for us.

A club that will (likely) announce a very very poor financial result for the year would be irresponsible to turn around and spend a million dollars in this way IMO.

Edited by Lord Nev

Fair enough, can see where you're coming from.

I just wouldn't be risking a million dollars on a player who could very well pull a Cam McCarthy on us and leave us with a huge bill and nothing to show for it. And that's before you take into account the fact we've said we don't want someone who doesn't want to play for us.

A club that will (likely) announce a very very poor financial result for the year would be irresponsible to turn around and spend a million dollars in this way IMO.

But it is only $600k per year with the first front loaded.

If we take him and get him on a 5 year contract, the last 4 years are at $500k and he can be traded to say Carlton for a decent pick after the first. So you might in effect be paying $500k to get another first round pick or even a traded player. He becomes even more attractive to another club at 4 years x $500k.

Then again Nev and Harley could make him want to stay with us.

It probably is only one year of pain, but if you have salary cap room, so what.

There are ways it can work for us.

That said, we will pass on him, if GC don't match.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Redleg said:

But it is only $600k per year with the first front loaded.

If we take him and get him on a 5 year contract, the last 4 years are at $500k and he can be traded to say Carlton for a decent pick after the first. So you might in effect be paying $500k to get another first round pick or even a traded player. He becomes even more attractive to another club at 4 years x $500k.

Then again Nev and Harley could make him want to stay with us.

It probably is only one year of pain, but if you have salary cap room, so what.

There are ways it can work for us.

That said, we will pass on him, if GC don't match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_McCarthy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Michael

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Watson

A few examples of why you don't do this kind of thing. And we're not in a position to waste a million dollars, because that's what that one year would cost us.

Not sure why you bothered though when you finish by saying we won't take him.

1 minute ago, reynolds46 said:

How many actual total list spots do we have? Not including potential cat B rookies?

List requirement is:
38 - 40 senior listed players
4 - 6 rookies
Up to 3 cat B rookies
Maximum total list size of 47 players

We currently have:
35 Senior Listed Players
4 Rookies
1 Cat B Rookie

TOTAL = 40