WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - ADAM TOMLINSON

dazzledavey36

1 minute ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Appropriate post, some expecting every player we bring in to be a star.

The same posters who whinge about our depth 

The same posters who argue Tomlinson is no longer in GWS' best 22 and/or is surplus to their needs.

The same posters who then argue we should target Richmond's depth (i.e. players who aren't in their best 22 and, in the cases of Butler and McIntosh, have been pushed out since 2017 by other players, exhibiting something of a downwards trajectory).

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

The same posters who argue Tomlinson is no longer in GWS' best 22 and/or is surplus to their needs.

The same posters who then argue we should target Richmond's depth (i.e. players who aren't in their best 22 and, in the cases of Butler and McIntosh, have been pushed out since 2017 by other players, exhibiting something of a downwards trajectory).

and wanting to pay overs for Frosty to stay

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Does that mean we were his only option?

You always have more than one option 'Lucifer' but I think we might have been the last man standing.

44 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Appropriate post, some expecting every player we bring in to be a star.

The same posters who whinge about our depth 

Just depends on what he is being paid.

If he's on role player money then you don't expect a star and are pleasantly surprised if he becomes one.

...but if he's on decent cash and to me that would be around the $500k mark then you need better than a role player and someone who you think will develop.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

I go straight to the top. Goschs Paddock.

SK if this is some sort of Gosch's coup d'etat you realise you are going to have to get past one cranky bearded adversary down there ...and upon reading the above you would be in for a bit of a bake me thinks.  Not that it would take much!

Don't say i didn't warn you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

McIntosh played 21 games in 2018 and 16 this year, so at best, he has been pushed out only in the last quarter of this season.

Also, remember Richmond's depth is much greater than ours.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Look, he might be a freebie, but he's not the best pick up for our needs

We need lightning quick outside mids and small forwards

Who says we aren't also trying to add these?

Our evident interest in Elliott is a clear sign of our intent to nab small forwards.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

"Going fishing" is a nice idea, but what you're advocating is that instead of targeting players who are available, we instead speculatively see if contracted players want to jump ship.

Of course, you have no idea whether the club is or isn't asking the question (or at least will start asking the question now that Richmond's season is over).

But if your best argument against taking Tomlinson is that we should instead be "going fishing", I think you need better arguments.

What's wrong with 'fishing' - take the form four and a bag of money and you never know

Everyone has a price

45 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Look, he might be a freebie, but he's not the best pick up for our needs

We need lightning quick outside mids and small forwards

Great call Jumbo. If Frosty ends up going, it only highlights the importance of an injection of speed within our ranks & unfortunately Tomlinson offers zero in this department. Not an impact player in any sense.....

please no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Great call Jumbo. If Frosty ends up going, it only highlights the importance of an injection of speed within our ranks & unfortunately Tomlinson offers zero in this department. Not an impact player in any sense.....

please no.

Just because he doesn't offer leg speed, doesn't mean he can't improve our 22. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A F said:

Just because he doesn't offer leg speed, doesn't mean he can't improve our 22. 

Pace & a game plan to utilise pace is what has been 'killing us' & stated by our esteemed coach on a number of occassions.

Please tell me where Tomlinson can improve our list? Langdon I understand, but I'm not sure the Dees need anymore overpaid turtles.

The Tomlinson suggestion astounds me & I would go with Frosty everytime.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Pace & a game plan to utilise pace is what has been 'killing us' & stated by our esteemed coach on a number of occassions.

Please tell me where Tomlinson can improve our list? Langdon I understand, but I'm not sure the Dees need anymore overpaid turtles.

The Tomlinson suggestion astounds me & I would go with Frosty everytime.

Our midfield desperately needs gut-running, two-way-running mids. Tomlinson can provide that, along with ruck cover, back cover and even forward cover. He's a role player who can fill gaps if needed or contribute to defensive running in our midfield that was so pathetic this year and half of last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Our midfield desperately needs gut-running, two-way-running mids. Tomlinson can provide that, along with ruck cover, back cover and even forward cover. He's a role player who can fill gaps if needed or contribute to defensive running in our midfield that was so pathetic this year and half of last year.

Our midfield does need gut-running & two-way running mids but the way the 6,6,6 is structured now, you also need speed & composure with ball in hand. We don't have speed & we don't have composure with ball in hand & we were one of the highest turnover teams this yeah when under the pump. (partly Goodwin's fault too as he unfortunately didn't have a plan B) We have too many role players ATM & we need impact players & pace. 

As you said he may help our list to some degree, however, impact player no.....role player yes, but slow & not the answer IMO.

I stand to be corrected though& time will tell I guess.

36 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Our midfield does need gut-running & two-way running mids but the way the 6,6,6 is structured now, you also need speed & composure with ball in hand. We don't have speed & we don't have composure with ball in hand & we were one of the highest turnover teams this yeah when under the pump. (partly Goodwin's fault too as he unfortunately didn't have a plan B) We have too many role players ATM & we need impact players & pace. 

As you said he may help our list to some degree, however, impact player no.....role player yes, but slow & not the answer IMO.

I stand to be corrected though& time will tell I guess.

Goodwin didn't have a clear Plan A in 2019. 

Let's wait and see.

And I know it's Bigfooty, but a poster over there posted today that we're paying Tomlinson $400k p.a. If that's the case, it's a no brainer.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

McIntosh played 21 games in 2018 and 16 this year, so at best, he has been pushed out only in the last quarter of this season.

Also, remember Richmond's depth is much greater than ours.

Yes, they have amazing depth, not only in talent but also in player buy-in and culture. I think every club will be studying the Richmond model closely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Goat said:

please no.

So who do you suggest going after instead as doing nothing is going backwards, he will be a best 22 won’t cost picks and would command no more than a modest contract. If it’s a matter of him or frost I’d take him, he offers more utility round the ground and if our backline is fit frost wouldn’t be in the 22 imo as it is rare you need a permanent 3rd tall in the backline these days. A best 22 over a backup is the no brainer on that case

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Our midfield does need gut-running & two-way running mids but the way the 6,6,6 is structured now, you also need speed & composure with ball in hand. We don't have speed & we don't have composure with ball in hand & we were one of the highest turnover teams this yeah when under the pump. (partly Goodwin's fault too as he unfortunately didn't have a plan B)

Go ahead and bag Goodwin all you like but to say he had no Plan B is total horse sh*t. If you took any notice this year - and you might be forgiven for ceasing to pay attention - you'd have seen that we changed our game style completely mid-season.The manic running, play on at all cost through the corridor (for which we did not have the skills to execute) was abandoned for a slower, more deliberative controlled play. If that is not a Plan B, what is?

• Like 9