Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Sign in to follow this  
McQueen

The Ashes - 2019

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Bring it on?

We are gone ... they may as well jump on the plane home now 

An absolute disgrace

Chokers

For us oldies (I was only 7) but this now smells of 1981 when we had it won before Botham pulled the test out his backside ( Lillee and Marsh won a small fortune on the punt). If we won that test we retained the ashes and after losing we just imploded, can see it happening here as they are on paper pretty even.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yes but Pain threw the review away, that was crazy. It was miles outside the leg stump. You may as well say well we dont want that review. I just cant understand it.

I do

Paine panicked

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spud said:

Seriously professional umpire should be able to see the bleeding obvious. Yes we choked, we stuffed up royal, but still,  so did the umpire as that was just plum even on the tv. Just awful all round.

The umpiring has nothing to do with it.  Nothing

We blew it and there are no excuses

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stokes luckiest bloke around. Could easily still be sitting in a prison cell, got lucky with the court system. Absolutely fluked the world cup final, anything that was needed that has never happened before in such circumstances occurred and now today so much luck despite the fact it was a good innings. Still very much luck got him over the line again. He shouldn't bother with lotto, surely he has used it all up by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Macca said:

It's bad enough watching our football team continually choke in front of goal and now the cricket team follow suit.  Lose from an unloseable position.

We won't recover from this ... Archer will tear us a new one.  3-1 to the Poms. 

70+ for the last wicket.  We bowled poorly and we bowled pies.  And Paine looked like little boy lost out there.  Clueless.

 

He didnt do a lot when the pitches were normal. I thought his bowling was pretty bad a lot of the time and hes very inexperienced. Anderson is the one id be worried about.

Yes i couldnt understand our bowling today? Brilliant yesterday gone today. 

We get Smith back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Wadda We Sing said:

He didnt do a lot when the pitches were normal. I thought his bowling was pretty bad a lot of the time and hes very inexperienced. Anderson is the one id be worried about.

Yes i couldnt understand our bowling today? Brilliant yesterday gone today. 

We get Smith back.

We are cooked Wadda

That was a choke of monumental proportions and we won't recover.

Hope I'm wrong but the Poms will take advantage now. 

3-1 to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spud said:

For us oldies (I was only 7) but this now smells of 1981 when we had it won before Botham pulled the test out his backside ( Lillee and Marsh won a small fortune on the punt). If we won that test we retained the ashes and after losing we just imploded, can see it happening here as they are on paper pretty even.

I reckon we're gone.

I was thinking they were going to win the last 2 tests anyway

We needed to win this one and we choked and we blew it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yep, stupid stupid thing to do. Gave his resolve away.

Stokes was incredible and determined. Had the luck and the crowd on his side. Leach had no clue, but tried hard as he could. Lyon could have run him out but took his eye off the ball. We definitely lost it.

Greatest successful run chase in the history of the game.

I thought Leach batted quite well.  At least he didn't panic like our sorry lot

In fact,  Leach looked quite calm whilst Paine looked clueless,  our bowlers were delivering pies and our fielding and field placements went to the pack. Bowling half volleys to Stokes is never going to work.  His tempo batting destroyed our bowlers.

The post mortems won't be kind.

I won't be calming down in a hurry either.  1981 is still a bitter memory. 

If we can somehow retain the Ashes I'll have to eat my words but I reckon we're gone 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Spud said:

Stokes luckiest bloke around. Could easily still be sitting in a prison cell, got lucky with the court system. Absolutely fluked the world cup final, anything that was needed that has never happened before in such circumstances occurred and now today so much luck despite the fact it was a good innings. Still very much luck got him over the line again. He shouldn't bother with lotto, surely he has used it all up by now.

Stokes kicked our butts.  There was no luck involved as he played a controlled,  brilliant innings.  And we had no answers.

Credit to him.  Kudos.  All things considered,  his innings was one of the best I've seen.

As for the Australians,  we had our chances and we blew it.  Bowled and fielded poorly.  The LBW review by Paine & Cummins will haunt the team.  An insane decision. 

You might think of doing it if you had another review up your sleeve.  Amateur hour.

The Lyon fumble ... these things happen but we lost the match in other areas.  None of it umpire related.  We choked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe what happened last night. As @Macca said we choked and big time. Now I realise why I follow the cricket and the MFC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the last LBW umpiring decision.  Murphy's Law.  Because of the review system and the same presence of howlers because of the review system,  human error is a factor.

And the only way to get rid of the howler is to fix the system.  Blaming and/or sacking an umpire only presents an opportunity for the next umpire to make the same type of error

You want error free umpiring in cricket,  you won't get it.  Unless the system is fixed.

Anyway,  we lost the game because of numerous errors of judgement that fell on our own shoulders.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Macca said:

Stokes kicked our butts.  There was no luck involved as he played a controlled,  brilliant innings.  And we had no answers.

Credit to him.  Kudos.  All things considered,  his innings was one of the best I've seen.

As for the Australians,  we had our chances and we blew it.  Bowled and fielded poorly.  The LBW review by Paine & Cummins will haunt the team.  An insane decision. 

You might think of doing it if you had another review up your sleeve.  Amateur hour.

The Lyon fumble ... these things happen but we lost the match in other areas.  None of it umpire related.  We choked.

Reckon the caretaker captain is MR. Bland. Might be a good keeper but that's about all. About time he made some runs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would help if we had a wicketkeeper who could bat and a captain who could captain. Paine's only there because of Smith's suspension - which I reckon is BS. They should have stuck with the ICC's original penalty. It's crazy that we gave Smith such a long period out of the game when others who've committed similar misdemeanors have been suspended for a match or two. If nothing else, it's unfair; all of us have the right to expect consistency from our governing bodies.  Say I'm one of three who get pinged for the same traffic offense; guy before me gets a fine, guy after me, the same - and I get a year in the slammer, I'd quite rightly think I'd been hard done by. Cricket Australia only imposed a harsher sentence because of faux-outrage from the yellow press looking for a controversy to sell more papers.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greatest finish to a test match that I've ever seen. Talk about mental pressure, everyone cracked: Paine, Lyon, Stokes and the Umpire as well. Kudos to Ben Stokes and crowd too; the atmosphere they created was amazing.

My colleagues have noticed that I seem a little tired today...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TRIGON said:

Greatest finish to a test match that I've ever seen. Talk about mental pressure, everyone cracked: Paine, Lyon, Stokes and the Umpire as well. Kudos to Ben Stokes and crowd too; the atmosphere they created was amazing.

My colleagues have noticed that I seem a little tired today...

 

You must be a very objective person. I thought it was the worst finish to a Test match I've ever seen. Just about finished me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, loges said:

Reckon the caretaker captain is MR. Bland. Might be a good keeper but that's about all. About time he made some runs.

He'll stay on ... not many other choices anyway. His bowlers bowled the wrong lines and lengths whilst the fielding was below par too.

Everything that could go wrong,  went wrong.  And we'll either bounce back well or maybe not

England on the other hand will come at us looking for the kill.  The momentum is with them on their home soil.  I'm not confident at Old Trafford but we might do well at the Oval. 

It's my belief that whoever wins the next test wins the Ashes.  Us by default and if they go 2-1 up the track at the Oval might end producing a draw 🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jara said:

You must be a very objective person. I thought it was the worst finish to a Test match I've ever seen. Just about finished me. 

To me it's like the Demons losing a GF by a point to Collingwood after leading by 6 goals at 3/4 time.

But I'm a test cricket tragic ... only the retention of the Ashes will ease the pain.  And I'm not confident now. 

Stokes,  Root,  Archer,  Broad and Anderson (if available) need to be curtailed.  And their team will be brim full of confidence now. 

On the other hand we will be licking our wounds.  The 10 day break before the 4th Test might help though. 

And I reckon Starc needs to play if only for variation.  There was a sameness to our pace attack in this last test. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We witnessed history basically. The greatest run chase ever in the history of the game, so it was a bit more than we just lost it. It took history to beat us. It really was the greatest finish to a game ive ever seen.

If anything though its really highlighted the flaws in the current review system which is under increasing pressure to change. We shouldnt have players that are umpires trying to figure out if a decision is wrong. They are players and should just play. The only person in the whole stadium that didnt know that LBW was out was the one person who needed to know! The umpire. The technology is there, so just hand it over to the 3rd umpire. Review every decision and if its clearly out, then overule the central umpire, simple. Bought in in 2008/9 this system based on the tennis model, where players have a few reviews per match if they disagree with the central umpire.

Its just not cricket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard another amazing stat on the radio  (John Anderson on 3aw ) - said Paine has requested 12 reviews - and got em all wrong -

Could that be right?  If so - jeez.... Let Smith or Warner do it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

We witnessed history basically. The greatest run chase ever in the history of the game, so it was a bit more than we just lost it. It took history to beat us. It really was the greatest finish to a game ive ever seen.

If anything though its really highlighted the flaws in the current review system which is under increasing pressure to change. We shouldnt have players that are umpires trying to figure out if a decision is wrong. They are players and should just play. The only person in the whole stadium that didnt know that LBW was out was the one person who needed to know! The umpire. The technology is there, so just hand it over to the 3rd umpire. Review every decision and if its clearly out, then overule the central umpire, simple. Bought in in 2008/9 this system based on the tennis model, where players have a few reviews per match if they disagree with the central umpire.

Its just not cricket.

I wasn't sure that it was out as I thought it might have been sliding down leg.  Might have just clipped the front pad too which could have straightened the ball up.

Not sure that ball tracking picked that up or whether ball tracking is accurate anyway.  Pretty images but I'm not sold.

Anyway,  you take the good with the bad and we threw the game away beforehand with poor bowling,  average fielding and questionable captaincy.  The last umpiring decision was less than 5% of it but will become the focus.  To me it is negligible and it all evens itself out anyway Wadda.

Given how the rulings are dealt with you have to expect a couple of poor umpiring adjudications anyway.  Umpires are going to make errors.  We can replace umpires but the next person in line will be no better.  It will be more of the same.  I see what everyone else sees.

But as previously stated,  the howlers still exist because we've now turned it into a game of reviews.  There should at least be an over ruling party that can review decisions.  So if a batsman is out (or not out) we should be able to arrive at the correct decision

The whole thing really is quite amateurish.  We don't actually need umpires in cricket anymore so the quicker we move to the technological age the better.  Or go back to just umpires making the decisions.  At the moment we're stuck in the middle and the controversy rages on.

But most people just hate umpires if we're being honest so the above won't make any sense to them.  Besides which,  the decisions often are in your favour which most fail to acknowledge.  They just see red and that's it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jara said:

Just heard another amazing stat on the radio  (John Anderson on 3aw ) - said Paine has requested 12 reviews - and got em all wrong -

Could that be right?  If so - jeez.... Let Smith or Warner do it 

Arriving at the correct decisions shouldn't have anything to do with the captains and the majorly flawed review system

Instead of arriving at the correct decision in a sensible way we now have a situation where a 'probable' howler happens coupled with a stuffed up review by Paine

So 2 problems exist when no problem should exist.  It really is quite ridiculous. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole thing's probably doubly disappointing for those of us on this website because we're all hopelessly devoted to the worst-performing football team in the league. I kind of turn to the cricket for a bit of relief. Not finding much of that right now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, mistakes were made by the Aussies, and the last review was a panic move when there was still time in hand and runs needed. But the umpire also made a big mistake with the Stokes lbw appeal. If he was a good umpire who could think quickly in pressure situations, all he had to do was this- give Stokes out lbw because it was there. When Stokes asked for the review, it would have shown he was out anyway and the umpire was correct in his decision. The way he fell to his knees to protect his wicket was lbw, plain and simple. 

The umpire would have proven his worth with no loss of face, no matter how much grief he would have got from the English crowd. The umpire is there to make the decisions and make sure the game is played in the right spirit. Unfortunately with this review system they are losing their responsibilities to technology, like everything else in sport. Now they are too scared to make the unpopular decision.

If the batsman is out he is out. If you are not sure, the batsman gets the benefit of the doubt. At least that is how cricket used to be. To me the Stokes lbw was clear cut. Out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not impossible for every ball to be reviewed automatically in the bunker. Cricket is not a fast game so you would only be one or two balls behind. Effectively that is how VAR works in soccer but admittedly there are far less VAR possibilities.

It will never happen as India who control world cricket are massively against DRS.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

Yes, mistakes were made by the Aussies, and the last review was a panic move when there was still time in hand and runs needed. But the umpire also made a big mistake with the Stokes lbw appeal. If he was a good umpire who could think quickly in pressure situations, all he had to do was this- give Stokes out lbw because it was there. When Stokes asked for the review, it would have shown he was out anyway and the umpire was correct in his decision. The way he fell to his knees to protect his wicket was lbw, plain and simple. 

The umpire would have proven his worth with no loss of face, no matter how much grief he would have got from the English crowd. The umpire is there to make the decisions and make sure the game is played in the right spirit. Unfortunately with this review system they are losing their responsibilities to technology, like everything else in sport. Now they are too scared to make the unpopular decision.

If the batsman is out he is out. If you are not sure, the batsman gets the benefit of the doubt. At least that is how cricket used to be. To me the Stokes lbw was clear cut. Out.

Excellent Summation DG. 

And like anything else in sport (or life for that matter) there are nearly always unintended consequences when change occurs (or when change is thrust upon us)

But I'm in 2 minds on how DRS has effected the umpires and umpiring

It could be that they have always made a number of errors and DRS is now showing them up and/or they are 2nd guessing themselves as a result of the 'accepted' technology.  I reckon it's both.

Baseball is experimenting with 'Total Technology' in AAA baseball (one rung lower than the majors) and I know a couple of real baseball fans who reckon that the umpires in baseball will eventually become a thing of the past.  That's for every pitch and all the rest of it.

Of course,  no such thing is even possible in footy so the disillusionment with umpiring will rage on forever!  Footy will never get close to getting all the myriad of decisions correct. 

But cricket can go very close to getting it near perfect.  Total technology will give us that near-perfect solution but otherwise we have to put up with human error.  Ongoing.

The other thing we should remember is that we are often the recipients of the good fortune.  It's just that our minds can neither acknowledge or even remember when that happens.  But it does happen.  It has to.

Edited by Macca
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...