Making the finals

What

1 hour ago, binman said:

If we win 10 more games our percentage will be fine. And besides the comp is so even in that midddle group that 11 wins might be enough.

I still think many simply don't get that the issue isn't game plan, drinking bathwater, pert, issues between the coach and Macca, goody ability ad coach etc etc. 

The key issue is our lack of fitness and way too many players out. Simple

Fix that and winning 10 of 15 games is more than possible. 

Win next week and hopefully we'll only be one game out of the 8. Hit form, then anything is possible.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Dare to dream!

Dare to dream on 2020 and beyond...

Not of being the next...  "9thmond"_

The pack is circling below us , and we have shown our shallow depth of talent, this year.

Viney maybe cut down to average... before his prime.

TMc is looking old this year, and no telling how he will recover.

Jones is as good as  'over-cooked'... well done.

Lever is still in the injured category.. and will be questionable for the rest of his time.

May has 3 Yrs left.

Jetta has 2 Yrs in him.

Garlett is dusted.

Edited by DV8

With may, lever, Viney and hannan in the team I am confident we can beat anyone at any ground. Assuming we havent lost any other players.

Looks like we will have all of them back in 3-4 weeks. 

If we can go get a minimum 2 wins in the next 4 I think we could come home strong. Ideally we need to go 3-1 or 4-0 in the next 4

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bringbackthebiff said:

2 games out of the 8  - 7 rounds in. Definitely a chance 

If it happens, then it happens.  And good luck to the players.

IMO,  we will improve a lot in a months time.  When players are returning.

The back end of this season will be very exciting to watch,  but I don't think we can afford to take our eyes of the game we are about to play,  that week.

11 minutes ago, billyblanks35 said:

Omg there's no chance we are playing finals this year. The absurd optimism after a win is only equalled by the ridiculous pessimism after a loss by Demonlanders.

Well I for one was confident before the win (and am on record as such)

8 hours ago, binman said:

If we win 10 more games our percentage will be fine. And besides the comp is so even in that midddle group that 11 wins might be enough.

I still think many simply don't get that the issue isn't game plan, drinking bathwater, pert, issues between the coach and Macca, goody ability ad coach etc etc. 

The key issue is our lack of fitness and way too many players out. Simple

Fix that and winning 10 of 15 games is more than possible. 

We've changed the system mate. Not only are we not playing 100% chaos anymore, we're playing a deeper zone with the old anchor that we played some games with, even under Roos. 

Against Hawthorn you need to switch. You need to look for the switch on the MCG constantly, otherwise you simply give it back to the opposition and then get killed on the outside. Pleasingly, we constantly looked for the switch and were set up for it. It didn't always work out but by the final quarter, we'd started to make it work. This caught Hawthorn out and makes us far more unpredictable and tougher to coach against.

If this is a sign of things to come, we'll win a few more games.

I don't think we'll make the 8. But there are some positive coaching signs. Now we need the underestimated ingredient of returning confidence.

• Like 3

Going into last week I was confident of  a win & saw we had GC the following week. If we can pull the ledger back to 3-5. WC, GWS, ADEL, COLL to follow. If we can get to 5-7 at the bye. We'd have to go 7-3 in the last 10 to be any chance. Highly unlikely. 

We all had this conversations post sydney & we saw how that played out.. GC will be no push overs up there this week. 

Edited by JV7

On 5/5/2019 at 12:07 PM, binman said:

It's all about building fitness across the board and getting key players back.

Exhibit A is hibbo. Clearly looked fitter and had better movement than previous games. And had a much improved game as a result.

Exhibit B. Tmac. Still clearly hampered. But getting there. Three more weeks and I suspect he'll be over what ever the issue is (toe) and fitness will be where it should be at.

I reckon 12 games will be enough to make the 8 this year. Which means we need to win 10 of 15. If we can get to 12 games and have six wins we will need 6 from our last 10. Doable as by then we shoild have may, lever, jetts, viney and hannan back in the team.

Season is far from.over and talk of putting the cue in the rack and focusing on 2020 is poppy [censored]

No-one wants us to put the cue in the rack.

But I also don't care about playing finals in 2019.  I'm not interested in making up the numbers.  

I almost hope we don't play finals.  We have zero chance of a flag in 2019.

• Like 1

Right now we are a one week at a time prospect, we have only showed our best in small bits with zero consistency. In our two wins I would say at best we’ve done half match efforts. 

Until we put in a 4 quarter (or at least a dominant 3 quarter) effort we have no right to be thinking about finals. I’m actually glad that GC showed some scrap against WC because the coaches should be highlighting it to the players that both teams are very different in ‘19. 

We've at least got our contested confidence back, next we need to get our ball use and inside 50 efficiency much better. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 9:20 PM, A F said:

We've changed the system mate. Not only are we not playing 100% chaos anymore, we're playing a deeper zone with the old anchor that we played some games with, even under Roos. 

Against Hawthorn you need to switch. You need to look for the switch on the MCG constantly, otherwise you simply give it back to the opposition and then get killed on the outside. Pleasingly, we constantly looked for the switch and were set up for it. It didn't always work out but by the final quarter, we'd started to make it work. This caught Hawthorn out and makes us far more unpredictable and tougher to coach against.

If this is a sign of things to come, we'll win a few more games.

I don't think we'll make the 8. But there are some positive coaching signs. Now we need the underestimated ingredient of returning confidence.

That is correct. It wasn't just an injury/fitness issue, there was a clear review / change up to game style and structure by Goody and the FD which  would have been worked on over the 10 day break.

We also didn't start the game with Chunk & Lewis (or one of them) on both wings and only one of them played there for a short stint later in the 2nd half.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 8:01 PM, bingers said:

Oh ... so you're the eggman ... And we are the eggmen ?

The youngies on this site will have no idea what we're on about. 

Koo-koo-ka-choo! Sitting on the Eiffel Tower?

insanity, we are virtually zero chance of playing finals. We will win on Sat and everyone will get excited and then we be gutted 3 weeks after that. mostly likely we will be 3-9 at the bye 

I reckon we will turn things around and get to around 10 wins and that will be a good achievement but there is no coming back from 1-5 with 10 players out injured and 4-5 in the 22 carrying injuries.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, DubDee said:

insanity, we are virtually zero chance of playing finals. We will win on Sat and everyone will get excited and then we be gutted 3 weeks after that. mostly likely we will be 3-9 at the bye 

I reckon we will turn things around and get to around 10 wins and that will be a good achievement but there is no coming back from 1-5 with 10 players out injured and 4-5 in the 22 carrying injuries.

We ended up top 4 last year, we are 2 games out of the 8 after round 7 and right now it’s a very even competition. Surely virtually zero chance is a tad over the top. (Note - disregard this statement after we lose to Gold Coast)

• Like 2

I beg to differ. I have hope. I believe. Our boys are good enough. They will improve. They will make us proud. Go MELBOURNE.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 8:14 PM, Neil Crompton said:

I think that from our current position, if (when) we do make the finals, it will mean that we are firing at the right end of the season - and therefore anything is possible. I, for one, certainly hope we do make the finals. 

Onya Neil.

You're kidding right? 

A win against GC and we are literally one win (and percentage) out of the top 8 with 14 games to play, in what will almost certainly be one of the most even season's we have had in a long long time. WCE will be gettable as they aren't playing great footy. GWS are in form however don't play the MCG often nor do they play it well... And Adelaide have started similar to us.... 

Wouldn't be surprised if we are firmly in the 8 come the bye... I also wouldn't be surprised if we lose 3 of the next 4 and officially end our season.

• Like 1