Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Nascent

The 2019 Draft and Trade Targets Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

He played 5 games all season and is OOC.

I'd be offering a 4th rounder for him.

5 games might be for a number of reasons. He might have been pushed back in their midfield pecking order due to new arrivals (Neale) and the rise of McCluggage, Berry and others.

Doesn't mean he's worth nothing much in a trade.

He's not a FA, is he?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

5 games might be for a number of reasons. He might have been pushed back in their midfield pecking order due to new arrivals (Neale) and the rise of McCluggage, Berry and others.

Doesn't mean he's worth nothing much in a trade.

He's not a FA, is he?

 

No not a FA.

History just shows that if a player is OOC and hasn't played many games the season before, that he will generally to the club of choice with very little fuss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunt29 said:

Puopolo worth a look? Should be a DFA or token late pick. Heard perhaps we’ve met with him or his management. 

Highly doubt it, here's an extract from the little paper:

PAUL PUOPOLO (HAW)

Another one who is up for grabs. Melbourne needs some help in the small forward department but the Dees don’t seem to be interested. Cards look marked at the Hawks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 1:35 PM, Patches O’houlihan said:

I'm really not sure who we should look at, it's a tricky one. someone like Peter Wright from the Suns would be great if we could convince him to leave. 

What's going on with Peter Wright ay? Dropped mid year, mentioned nowhere as a trade target from any clubs..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being reported that Essendon may be interested in Mason Cox from the Pies.

Opens up the possibility of trade of Weideman to the Pies.

Now that would be a hard one to value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Being reported that Essendon may be interested in Mason Cox from the Pies.

Opens up the possibility of trade of Weideman to the Pies.

Now that would be a hard one to value.

Why would it open up that possibility? Weid re-signed only a few months ago, and what would Collingwood trade to us? ATM their first pick is 35.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

What's going on with Peter Wright ay? Dropped mid year, mentioned nowhere as a trade target from any clubs..

Wouldn't be surprised if he's involved a trade to us if we decide to split pick 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A F said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he's involved a trade to us if we decide to split pick 3.

Ben King has gone ahead of him this past year, so would rather BK. PW would be worth a late 1st rounder now methinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Ben King has gone ahead of him this past year, so would rather BK. PW would be worth a late 1st rounder now methinks.

Yup, would much rather Ben King too, but Wright might be more gettable, cheaper and should be ready to bloom (23 years old, 66 games, 85 goals). My understanding is Wright's contract ran out at the end of this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, A F said:

Yup, would much rather Ben King too, but Wright might be more gettable, cheaper and should be ready to bloom (23 years old, 66 games, 85 goals). My understanding is Wright's contract ran out at the end of this year.

Wright signed a 3 year deal earlier this year, ooc 2022.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MikeAlphaTango said:

Wright signed a 3 year deal earlier this year, ooc 2022.

Thanks mate. Do you have a link for that? I couldn't find it when I Googled before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wright lacks mobility IMO to be a good key forward. Not good below his knees and more of a ruckman who they've tried to turn into a forward in his junior years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that concerns me with the club (Josh and recruiters) is we don't really seem to be going hard on match winners. This year we are likely to pick up two guys (Tomlinson and Langdon) who we've been linked to for a couple of years, Elliot was another that we were interested in for ages. In previous years we have gone with the easy Casey path. Where is our next Jeremy Cameron, Dangerfield, Tom Lynch etc? We have been crying out for pace, skills and small forwards for years, I'm starting to doubt Taylor and Mahoney to be honest. There are plenty of players who would be upgrades to what we have yet we are never linked to them. Ronke, Butler and Townend improve us straight up and bring IP. It's almost like they're not giving 100%. Anyway, I'll wait to see what they deliver when the dust settles, however Langdon is a butcher and Tomlinson is a plodder imo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SFebes said:

The thing that concerns me with the club (Josh and recruiters) is we don't really seem to be going hard on match winners. This year we are likely to pick up two guys (Tomlinson and Langdon) who we've been linked to for a couple of years, Elliot was another that we were interested in for ages. In previous years we have gone with the easy Casey path. Where is our next Jeremy Cameron, Dangerfield, Tom Lynch etc? We have been crying out for pace, skills and small forwards for years, I'm starting to doubt Taylor and Mahoney to be honest. There are plenty of players who would be upgrades to what we have yet we are never linked to them. Ronke, Butler and Townend improve us straight up and bring IP. It's almost like they're not giving 100%. Anyway, I'll wait to see what they deliver when the dust settles, however Langdon is a butcher and Tomlinson is a plodder imo.

Only so much you can do when you're the 17th placed team who trains in a dog park, shares the showers with a few other teams and hasn't won a flag for 55 years I guess...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Only so much you can do when you're the 17th placed team who trains in a dog park, shares the showers with a few other teams and hasn't won a flag for 55 years I guess...

Agree, I think it's becoming a real issue now and the AFL must step in and support. Yeah Lewis, Lever and May are cool but when was the last time we snared a genuine match winner? Has to be a turn off for sure?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SFebes said:

The thing that concerns me with the club (Josh and recruiters) is we don't really seem to be going hard on match winners. This year we are likely to pick up two guys (Tomlinson and Langdon) who we've been linked to for a couple of years, Elliot was another that we were interested in for ages. In previous years we have gone with the easy Casey path. Where is our next Jeremy Cameron, Dangerfield, Tom Lynch etc? We have been crying out for pace, skills and small forwards for years, I'm starting to doubt Taylor and Mahoney to be honest. There are plenty of players who would be upgrades to what we have yet we are never linked to them. Ronke, Butler and Townend improve us straight up and bring IP. It's almost like they're not giving 100%. Anyway, I'll wait to see what they deliver when the dust settles, however Langdon is a butcher and Tomlinson is a plodder imo.

Tim Kelly is the only genuine star on the market that doesn't come with monumental injury baggage. Why aren't we targeting a superstar? It's pretty simple. They're not on the market, and they almost never are.

The best clubs build their list in the draft and top up with specific needs. The 2 we're bringing in fill specific needs. They might not be superstars but their inclusion could have knock-on effects that still improves our side. (Eg, Fritch plays more time forward instead of on the wing and down back) 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SFebes said:

The thing that concerns me with the club (Josh and recruiters) is we don't really seem to be going hard on match winners. This year we are likely to pick up two guys (Tomlinson and Langdon) who we've been linked to for a couple of years, Elliot was another that we were interested in for ages. In previous years we have gone with the easy Casey path. Where is our next Jeremy Cameron, Dangerfield, Tom Lynch etc? We have been crying out for pace, skills and small forwards for years, I'm starting to doubt Taylor and Mahoney to be honest. There are plenty of players who would be upgrades to what we have yet we are never linked to them. Ronke, Butler and Townend improve us straight up and bring IP. It's almost like they're not giving 100%. Anyway, I'll wait to see what they deliver when the dust settles, however Langdon is a butcher and Tomlinson is a plodder imo.

Tom Lynch was of course drafted one pick before Dees first pick that year allowing us to snare Lucas Cook. Jeremy Cameron was not available in draft. Danger was available, taken 6 picks after we selected Cale Morton.

Edited by demoniac
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aiden Bonar could be up for grabs from the Giants. Seems a very MFC type player, but with a bit of flash as well.

Wonder if he could be involved in the mooted pick swap with the Giants for pick 3?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Aiden Bonar could be up for grabs from the Giants. Seems a very MFC type player, but with a bit of flash as well.

Wonder if he could be involved in the mooted pick swap with the Giants for pick 3?

 

Surely GWS would be desperate to get Pick 3 because of Tom Green.

I know he just extended but Pick 3 for Taranto? Grew up a Melbourne supporter. Is that just a pipe dream?

 

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Why would it open up that possibility? Weid re-signed only a few months ago, and what would Collingwood trade to us? ATM their first pick is 35.

We'll accept De Goey and Mihocek plus their pick 35. Throw in the cash sitting the console of Eddies car and that should do it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is a bit left field but i reckon the Pies will be desperate to trade a couple of non essential guys to free up Cap room for Grundy, De goey and Stephenson who are all OOC next year 

i wonder if we could get a couple of players for pick 3 and help their cap situation out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Stigga said:

Surely GWS would be desperate to get Pick 3 because of Tom Green.

I know he just extended but Pick 3 for Taranto? Grew up a Melbourne supporter. Is that just a pipe dream?

 

 

Wouldn’t bother with Bonar. He’s looking like an average player who shows flashes without finding a position or consistency at AFL level.

Taranto is a pipe dream. He was a pick 2-3 and has more than proved himself after only two years. He’d be worth two first rounders now, or pick 3 if he was under contract and desperately wanting out.

Caldwell is the one I’d hope we can pry from then. Pick 11 from last year and looks a future gun IMO but is down the pecking order still.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Wouldn’t bother with Bonar. He’s looking like an average player who shows flashes without finding a position or consistency at AFL level.

Taranto is a pipe dream. He was a pick 2-3 and has more than proved himself after only two years. He’d be worth two first rounders now, or pick 3 if he was under contract and desperately wanting out.

Caldwell is the one I’d hope we can pry from then. Pick 11 from last year and looks a future gun IMO but is down the pecking order still.

ask them if they'd be keen on pick 3 for Pick 11, Caldwell and Finlayson 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...