Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2019 Draft and Trade Targets Thread

Nascent

7 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Back to the point. After a horrendous year,the Dees need to recover or face ridicule and loss of faith in their ability.  The demons shocking turnovers and lack of skilled midfield runners will see hopefully a focus on pace and ball use in trading and drafting strategy. A small forward capable of pressure, tackling and goal scoring also on the menu  

Retired - Maynard. Lewis.  

Delisted - Keilty. Garlett

Likely to be delisted  - Walker. TimSmith. (Both may retire due to chronic injury) JWagner Jkh 

Medical check - Kolodjashnij Vandenburg

Trade options - Stretch. Anb. J-Smith 

Protected species. Spargo. Omcd

Available targets - Ed Langdon is the main target with his pace suited.  Others mentioned as possibly available Karl Amon , Adam Tomlinson and Dan Butler   (Brad Hill likely to be Stkilda bound ) (Alex Keath - not quite a fit but Dees rumoured to be interested ) . 

Hope Joel stays.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

To everyone saying he had a good game (and remember this all started with a poster claiming he was their best player), think about the following.

Adelaide's best and fairest voting has 5 people score players using the following guidelines.

1 vote:  Played their role. Solid game without significant influence on the game
2 votes: Played his role well and influenced the game
3 votes: Played his role very well with significant influence on the game
4 votes: Played his role outstandingly and dominated the game

A player can score a maximum of 20 votes in a game.

Lever scored a total of 2 votes for the game.

This means 3 or 4 of the 5 people voting on the game deemed Lever to not even have played his role. 

The rumours of Lever Vic bound were rife well before the GF.  Even if he had a decent game, and tbh i can't recall as i don't bother too much when i see interstates playing off, the Crow B&F votes would have been tainted.

This from Jarman on 24 Aug 2017 ...

“He’s already packed up. He’s going to go to the Melbourne Football Club. They’re not far off from playing for premierships.

“I’m telling you now, he is goneski. And he’s goneski for a lot of money. He’s going for the money.

“You can’t blame the young man because that’s why he’s going, he’s going for the money. The money is magnificent.”

Edited by Rusty Nails

Here's my list assessment:

Backline:

A couple of years ago I was lamenting that we had too many half-backs on the list - now we don't have enough.  IMO Hibberd is finished, Josh Wagner is conclusively not AFL standard, Lewis is gone, Hunt and J.Smith have been moved away from there, Jones is no good there and Fritsch has moved forward where he does his best work.

We need 7 backs in the 22.  I have faith that Nev will get back to at least near his best which was THE best in the AFL.  May and Lever are no-brainers.  Salem has to stay back here, Petty is too good to stay out of the team and will benefit from another pre-season.  In this line-up Frost has to take a small which I think is fine.  Hore is the next best back-line player on the list but I don't like the mix that he offers to that existing 6, we need more run, not more intercept marking.  We need to trade in a running half-back, the only other ready-to-go player on the list that I think could succeed there is Hannan who would be worth a try if he can get over his injury issues.  Otherwise it's Hore or Hibberd as 7th back.

Jetta May Lever
Salem Petty Frost
Bench: ???

Depth: Hore, OMac, Hibberd
Developing: Nietschke

Mids:

We need 8 mids in the 22 including the ruckman - and we're short on quality here.  Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes are my go-to starting centre square set.  We've got nothing on the wings - we need to close the Langdon deal and for one of KK or VDB to get fit to play. Petracca and Viney can rotate through and I've got them in the forwards. Despite the protestations on Demonland, Jones is still an AFL standard mid, just not in the starting set.  I think it's pretty clear Billy Stretch is not up to AFL standard.  JKH is just OK and is probably our only mature midfield depth standard.  We need one or more of the development players or a new draftee to make big strides over the summer and cement a spot - it's not an unreasonable hope, you'll find all the finalists this year have 1st or 2nd year players in or near their starting 22s.

Gawn Oliver Brayshaw Harmes
Langdon KK/VDB
Bench: Jones, ???

Depth: Preuss, JKH
Developing: Jordon, Sparrow, Baker, Lockhart, C. Wagner, Dunkley

Forwards:

Surpringly, given our poor conversion this year, this is the area I think we're best served. I acknowledge our over-supply of inside mids and our under-supply of small forwards - moving Viney forward solves both these problems in one swoop - he's genuinely quick, a true contested crumber and will deliver ferocious defensive pressure.  I have faith in TMac and Weid as marking targets, particularly with the progress of Fritsch. We need 7 forwards in the 22 and a couple of them in Petracca and Viney who can rotate through the middle as required. I think it's clear ANB is not up to AFL standard.  We need one of the Smiths to get fit as depth.

Petracca TMac Fritsch
Viney Weideman Melksham
Bench: Hannan

Depth: Hunt, T.Smith, J.Smith
Developing: Spargo, Bedford, Chandler, Bradtke

So in the wrap up:

Delist: Lewis Garlett Stretch ANB J.Wagner / Keilty Maynard Walker?
Trade out: Hunt? - probably the only depth with any trade value, pick 3 in a pick swap with GWS
Trade in: Langdon, running half-back or quality mid (maybe in a GWS pick swap deal)
Draft: best available, but it would be nice to have a 1st rounder and get some more young mid or half-back quality onto the list

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Backline:

We need 7 backs in the 22.  I have faith that Nev will get back to at least near his best which was THE best in the AFL.  May and Lever are no-brainers.  Salem has to stay back here, Petty is too good to stay out of the team and will benefit from another pre-season.  In this line-up Frost has to take a small which I think is fine.  Hore is the next best back-line player on the list but I don't like the mix that he offers to that existing 6, we need more run, not more intercept marking.  We need to trade in a running half-back, the only other ready-to-go player on the list that I think could succeed there is Hannan who would be worth a try if he can get over his injury issues.  Otherwise it's Hore or Hibberd as 7th back.

Jetta May Lever
Salem Petty Frost

Aside from his ordinary turnover count and needing another pre-season to add to the tank and a season or two of additional experience behind him, Hore is far from depth imv 55 and easily takes Petty's place up there (Petty has shown something up forward and needs further experience/coaching & blooding here..down back only in emergency imv).

Even at this early stage (ie; first year rookie) he is amazingly in our top 3 defenders and may end up our best defender IF the club can turn itself from a leaky old tugboat in 2019 to something resembling a cruise liner in 2020.

If it can't and we resemble anything like the tug boat again then scrap everything i just said.  All bets will be off and anything's possible from there.

Edited by Rusty Nails

2 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Enjoyable read thank you 55. I agree with pretty much all of that apart from quibbling between one or two depth players.

The form over the season would indeed suggest Hibberd is finished but I'm entertaining the notion that he carried an injury (on top of the shoulder). I agree on Hore. A solid interceptor but unless he's got time an space, nothing much comes of his possessions. 

You have Lockhart as a mid? I would have thought half back or forward (depth). Having said that he played two games suggesting he could snatch a position on the bench, depending on trading and draft scenarios and a good preseason. He was clearly injured in later games.

I agree about half backs. Hibberd was awful and we had precious little vision coming out of the backline other than Salem who was increasingly up against it.

I would happily put KK on the half back line if he could recapture his pre-concussion form (a big if). He has the skills and read of play we need. I think it's his preferred position. Just don't know if we'll see much more of him. He looks, in theory, to be made for the wing but I'm not so sure yet. Outside role will suit.

I could prattle on but.....  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Aside from his ordinary turnover count and needing another pre-season to add to the tank and a season or two of additional experience behind him, Hore is far from depth imv 55 and easily takes Petty's place up there (Petty has shown something up forward and needs further experience/coaching & blooding here..down back only in emergency imv).

Even at this early stage (ie; first year rookie) he is amazingly in our top 3 defenders and may end up our best defender IF the club can turn itself from a leaky old tugboat in 2019 to something resembling a cruise liner in 2020.

If it can't and we resemble anything like the tug boat again then scrap everything i just said.  All bets will be off and anything's possible from there.

Very happy to back Petty vs Hore. I think Hore could be best 22 but it's a matter of team balance.  Petty is a superior prospect IMHO.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Backline:

A couple of years ago I was lamenting that we had too many half-backs on the list - now we don't have enough.  IMO Hibberd is finished, Josh Wagner is conclusively not AFL standard, Lewis is gone, Hunt and J.Smith have been moved away from there, Jones is no good there and Fritsch has moved forward where he does his best work.

Jetta May Lever
Salem Petty Frost

Mids:

We need 8 mids in the 22 including the ruckman - and we're short on quality here.  Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes are my go-to starting centre square set.  We've got nothing on the wings - we need to close the Langdon deal and for one of KK or VDB to get fit to play. Petracca and Viney can rotate through and I've got them in the forwards. Despite the protestations on Demonland, Jones is still an AFL standard mid, just not in the starting set.  I think it's pretty clear Billy Stretch is not up to AFL standard.  JKH is just OK and is probably our only mature midfield depth standard.  We need one or more of the development players or a new draftee to make big strides over the summer and cement a spot - it's not an unreasonable hope, you'll find all the finalists this year have 1st or 2nd year players in or near their starting 22s.

Langdon KK/VDB

Forwards:

Surpringly, given our poor conversion this year, this is the area I think we're best served. I acknowledge our over-supply of inside mids and our under-supply of small forwards - moving Viney forward solves both these problems in one swoop - he's genuinely quick, a true contested crumber and will deliver ferocious defensive pressure.  I have faith in TMac and Weid as marking targets, particularly with the progress of Fritsch. We need 7 forwards in the 22 and a couple of them in Petracca and Viney who can rotate through the middle as required. I think it's clear ANB is not up to AFL standard.  We need one of the Smiths to get fit as depth.

Petracca TMac Fritsch
Viney Weideman Melksham

So in the wrap up:

Trade out: Hunt? - probably the only depth with any trade value, pick 3 in a pick swap with GWS
Trade in: Langdon, running half-back or quality mid (maybe in a GWS pick swap deal)
Draft: best available, but it would be nice to have a 1st rounder and get some more young mid or half-back quality onto the list

Good summary 55. I don’t see Viney anywhere other than the midfield. I think he was ok this year and he will be much better for a preseason. And i fear Jetta is finished. I’m also not sure if Weideman has the agility required, but we really need to persist.

I feel Joel Smith could be a solution on a wing or forward. 

7 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Backline:

Jetta May Lever
Salem Petty Frost

Mids:

Langdon KK/VDB

Forwards:

Petracca TMac Fritsch
Viney Weideman Melksham

So in the wrap up:

Good post mate.

BACKLINE:

I agree that Hibberd is done, but Jetta is even further gone. I hope we trade in an experienced player for leadership and to play lock down next year. Don’t ask me who.

I like the rest of your back set up.

MIDS:

Completely spot on RE: the starting mids. I’d play Langdon on the wing and ANB. Just gut run and defend both ways and link up going the other way. A simple role for ANB. Both not great users, but our best bets I reckon (yes, this involves getting the Langdon deal over the line - have no sources on this, but I reckon it’s a done deal).

JKH has to go. Not good enough. Absolutely no tools to make it as an AFL player, unless we can turn him into a lock down defender (see Jetta’s spot above). Not sure he’s strong enough one on one, but anyway. He doesn’t work on a wing or at half forward.

We have Gawn, Oliver, Bradshaw, Harmes, Petracca, Viney, Melksham and even Hannan that could and should play through the midfield. After the first 4 or 5, we lack real quality. How anyone can say we’re set for mids is beyond me. I hope we target an experienced FA (I wouldn’t snigger at Higgins here) to add quality and rotations through there too. 

FORWARDLINE:

We’ve previously agreed on Viney playing the small forward role (I think he can serve our midfield a little as well). 

I think we should be targeting Ben King with our Pick #3, because unlike you I don’t have faith in the McDonald / Weideman duo. Not next year anyway. In time, perhaps. I like King’s height and I think he’s a more natural leading forward than Weideman, but maybe the latter just needs a good forward coach who works hard on his leading patterns.

I like Petracca playing deep occasionally, but I also like the idea of Oliver playing there too. Frisch, a fit Melksham and Hannan, plus a zippy small from another AFL system and/or even a surprise packet from the state leagues and we might be in better shape.

It’s funny how quickly a list can go from such an exciting potential 22 last year (particularly with the addition of May) to struggling to get even 22 solid players in without any holes in the starting 18.

• Like 2

B: JETTA, MAY, LEVER

HB: HIBBERD, FROST, SALEM

C : LANGDON, OLIVER, ANDERSON

HF: MELKSHAM, TOMLINSON, PETRACCA

F: FRITSCH, T.MCDONALD. PETTY

FOLL: GAWN, VINEY, BRAYSHAW

IC: HARMES, JONES, HUNT, VANDENBERG

CASEY

B: NEITSCHKE, O.MCDONALD, WALKER

HB: DRAFT PICK, HORE, KOLODJASHNIJ

C : STRETCH, SPARROW, BAKER

HF: NEAL-BULLEN, WEIDEMAN, HANNAN

F: DRAFT PICK, BRADTKE, J.SMITH

FOLL: PREUSS, JORDON, SPARGO

IC: C.WAGNER, LOCKHART, DUNKLEY, CHANDLER

EMERG: BEDFORD, ROOKIE

3 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

CASEY

No small forwards?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

CASEY

Definitely more changes to existing list in delisting and trades out 

1 hour ago, olisik said:

No small forwards?

draft pick and rookie

On 9/1/2019 at 7:09 PM, faultydet said:

If I could like my post I would have.

Create some fake accounts and harvest all the likes you want 

(I have 6.... Free Proxy List - Just Checked Proxy List....... :) 

/jks

14 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

CASEY

So glad we have revruited Tomlinson

Weeks update. 

Retired - Lewis Maynard

Delisted- Keilty Garlett

probables - Jkh jWagner TSmith (ret) Walker (cat B). 

Thats 8 off the list (7 spots available)  

Tradeable- Anb. Stretch Hunt

Lots of disruptive chat on demonland around Trac Brayshaw or Viney trade (ffs)

The “charmed”  - cant believe they get another year - Spargo Omcd 

medicals- Kk Vandenburg Jsmith (Joel could request to be traded out to Kangas/Swans)

have to retain and upgrade Cwagner Lockhart Dunkley (as Nieshke back from injury) .

Picks 2,20,38,56 (3,21,39,57)

Targets 1/ highly probable Ed Langdon 2/ speculative Tomlinson 3/ outer space but in the radar Newnes Wines

i think Dees will move and be active for free agents and in the trade market. Surprise a few and trade perhaps ANB or Stretch to South Australian teams (Crows/Power) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Petty proved plenty... with a crowded defence, could see him making a decent forward.

I reckon in time Petty playing next to Lever will be the intercept equivalent of McGovern and Barrass. By all means play him forward for the moment, but I'd have Petty back before Hore. Maybe Marty playing back next year allows another year of development in Petty before we send him back, but I loved Petty the year of his draft and saw a Lever clone in him. He'll get there if given time.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

Please can we go for Betts. He’ll be an awesome pick up even at his age. Butler too. Our small forward cupboard is completely bare! 

I was shouted down for suggesting this a couple of weeks ago. I bet he has a great year! 

6 hours ago, A F said:

I reckon in time Petty playing next to Lever will be the intercept equivalent of McGovern and Barrass. By all means play him forward for the moment, but I'd have Petty back before Hore. Maybe Marty playing back next year allows another year of development in Petty before we send him back, but I loved Petty the year of his draft and saw a Lever clone in him. He'll get there if given time.

Hore is a poor man’s Lever. He has his moments, but the balance of our back 6 with both in there is not right. Great depth.

9 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Hore is a poor man’s Lever. He has his moments, but the balance of our back 6 with both in there is not right. Great depth.

Agreed. Hore is a turn over merchant. Very good intercept marker though and has nice courage.

• Like 1

Here’s how I think this is going down.

GC will get the priority pick and 2 becomes 3, not ideal but they probably need all the help they can get just now. Anderson is out of reach and so we do the following:

Langdon for pick 21

Tomlinson as FA

option 1 (left field): We get Jamie Elliot as FA and we take pick 3 to the draft for Young

option 2: We trade 3 to GWS for 12 and 15 and go for players like Ash and Cody Weightman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, olisik said:

Best 22 for me. Will be a champ

Yes, well... just about settles it.

Tell me, oh great footyologist, what are Hore’s elite attributes that make him a vital member of the back 6?

Pace? Agility? Physicality? Skill? Lockdown defense? 

Beyond being a half decent reader of the play, taking the odd intercept mark, and long kicking... I’m not sure what he’s great at.

Handy depth, but we have better.

10 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

I was shouted down for suggesting this a couple of weeks ago. I bet he has a great year! 

What is interesting, is there are a number of players who will be seeking a new club and we seem unwilling or able to get these players.

In saying that, if we get Langdon, Tomlinson and maybe a small forward ie Butler or Ellis, that would be good.

Trade pick 2 (3) for 11 and 13 and give giants someone for someone .

seems simple enough