Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST GAME: Rd 04 vs Sydney

Demonland

6 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I hope Oscar is ok but I think it showed we're a better team without him. 

Most definitely - hope he is fine, but we are much better without him. The whole idea of OMac not being in the team is very appealing.

• Like 1

First time we have one the contested possession count this year.

Hopefully this is the kick start we need.

I was posting a little bit on here during the 1st half, at half time i decided to put my phone down and actually just watch the game with no distractions .

Looks like i wont be posting on game day threads anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Forest Demon said:

At the ground the most noticeable thing was the improvement in our defensive running. The small ground and slow opposition helped, but we were able to really effectively slow them down. It’s a start.

It will be a challenge to translate this to the G and faster sides, but it is a start.

Still, oppositions clear out of our forward line far too easily.

I believe more than I did previously but not fully convinced yet.

Just like I saw some slivers of light against Essendon, there were things to work on here. I think we still need to work on our structures much earlier in games. Had we been switched on early then Max's work would have been taken advantage of and we might have gone to quarter time with a lead.

I appreciate that you can't get scores from every inside fifty but it entry needs a bit of work still. It's a relief that very rarely do we go the 'Beamer Moloney' blind kick into the fifty but we do overshoot the mark or kick too high.

Hibbo needs to rediscover some form and quick. He isn't getting enough of the pill and his runs out of the back fifty don't have the penetration for mine that they once did. 

Oscar needs to take some bloody angry pills and fast. That mark of Heeney's, the one he took in the second 10 out, that he contested showed all the intensity of an old man sliding into a warm bath. Even Maxy VERY CLEARLY had a go at him. You could see him give Oscar a slight shove after Heeney went back to line up for goal.

Now for the positives!

Jones' leadership was absolutely spot on for mine. It wasn't a quarter to quarter masterclass but he did the right things at the right moments when they counted. That's what leaders do. I also liked how restrained he was post siren. It was a relief to the boys but it was more puzzlement as to why this hadn't happened earlier.

Our defensive run and spread in the middle allowed us to shut down passing lanes much more quickly. While Oscar and Frost received, in my eyes, deserved flack for their efforts (Frosty tries but often replaces his head with a pumpkin before taking the field), their jobs weren't made easier by the way the ball was coming in.

Maxy put on a ruck masterclass. The crap with Port targeting him showed that it wasn't a case of him being soft but that the night in hospital hadn't helped. If he can start floating back and forward again and mopping up, then look out.

Hore was bloody impressive. What impressed me most was his decision making on top of the fact that he got the pill. Sure he turned it over once or twice, but they weren't coach killers and most of his delivery was spot on.

Preussy, while fading a bit after he bunged up his shoulder, was used exactly as we should have used him the first three weeks. I don't expect Grundy/Gawn like performances from him but his big body up forward helped a lot. Plus when he rucked, it was more likely that we would decisively win the contest or break even.

I'm not prepared to say 'season back on' just yet. We have been finding our feet this week and last. You could see some signs last week that our delivery into the fifty was improving. But there are still some areas we haven't shown over 4 quarters that the Saints could take advantage of. I'm reassured that the boys are viewing the win for what it was: one small step in getting the season back on track (hence the subdued celebrations). 

Enjoy the win and go Demons!

Edited by Hillary Bray

Gee it was nice seeing some things that old timers speak of, that I thought we may never see again ...

MFC players in front of their oppo

MFC players first to the ball

Oppo players stationary and looking confused because there are no options

MFC kicking away and icing the game

Oh it was marvellous! I now believe the old campfire tales.

GO DEMONS!!

• Like 2

Wouldn't mind seeing a front view of the hit Jones laid on Oliver, miles off the ball.  Oliver was kneeling in pain on the field and when he went off.  Commentators dismissed it as he just being winded.  Looked more than being winded - there must have been a backhanded, clenched fist or elbow.  Jones is a repeat offender and deserves to be cited.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

8 hours ago, A F said:

And hold your horses on Jones. It's a bit like Facebook on here. You can't ever criticise him or you're sacrilegious. Nathan did kick three goals, the last of them being a really important one, however outside of those goals, the rest of his game was embarrassing. Do people actually watch the game? He was fumbly and a poor user. What's more, for a guy who's close to playing 300 games, I've never seen such a panicker. Florent's goal in the third, for example, was from a direct Jones panic turnover. 

Spot on AF. I couldn't agree more. 3 great goals  ... but his match was otherwise poor. His fumbles and turnovers were costly.  

Jones is a great guy and great club man. But hopefully he announces that this is his last season.

And yes ... I didn't just watch the match on TV. I was there !!

Edited by bingers
  • Like 2

Our game started to turn when our wingmen manned their opp at centre bounces, instead of playing at the defensive end of the square.  We had played off them a lot in the first 3 games and badly beaten in the middle as they had space to get the ball fwd while we chased.  Most obvious vs Port.

Until half time our HO:Clearances was woeful.  Florent in particular was very damaging, lots of centre clearances and several goals.  Different game after he had an opp on his heels and we gained the ascendancy.  Hard to tell who his opp was after half time; maybe Harmes?  Whoever it was did a very good job to neutralise their playmaker.

9 hours ago, Macca said:

Isn't it great to go into the weekend with the job done!

A terrific performance,  right across the board.  We brought energy,  application,  effort and were highly motivated.  Our out-of-form players stepped it up and we just willed ourselves across the line.  We were not going to get beaten tonight.

Season back on track - away from home,  under seige and we get it done.  Not so long ago we were incapable of bouncing back like we did tonight.  The talent is there.

Tackling and pressure first rate,  kicking to position very good and all of our players contributed.  We bring that type of game on a regular basis and we will win more games than we lose this season.

One win can change everything - confidence & belief returns thus winning against any team is possible.  Anywhere,  anytime.

Very much agree.  I am still traumatised by the dark days.  100% trauma.  Even after our run last year and gradual improvement.  I support in absolute fear and can't shake it.  But last night I said to my boys when 22 down, if we can get out of this then it is a very good sign.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Wouldn't mind seeing a front view of the hit Jones laid on Oliver, miles off the ball.  Oliver was kneeling in pain on the field and when he went off.  Commentators dismissed it as he just being winded.  Looked more than being winded - there must have been a backhanded, clenched fist or elbow.  Jones is a repeat offender and deserves to be cited.

Oliver has form with exaggerating contact i love the bloke but he does carry on a bit.

unexpected contact - potentially winded him badly . A Fine or maybe a week if he’s unlucky . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Loved the huge bear hug Gawn gave Preuss after the song.  Awesome for Preuss to get that welcome from his partner in crime.

Yep.  It was great to see.  Not sure if it was picked up in the team song vid on the website, but Oliver, Gus and Trac all embraced together straight after the song as well.  Couple that with how every player got over to Goody after the siren and you can see how much they enjoy playing for Goody and as a team.  It's the one thing that helped me keep the faith, so to speak.  

We still need to back it up in the coming weeks, but I feel like the 'old' Melbourne is back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DaveyJones'sLocker said:

Oliver has form with exaggerating contact i love the bloke but he does carry on a bit.

unexpected contact - potentially winded him badly . A Fine or maybe a week if he’s unlucky . 

He barely made it off the ground and once he did he was on all 4. Nothing to gain from exaggerating his pain when the opportunity for a free was well and truly gone. 

He is a tough kid. If he was on all 4 in pain then I believe that he was really hurt. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, DaveyJones'sLocker said:

Sorry, there was no exaggeration by Oliver; he is as tough as.  If it was exaggerated he wouldn't have gone off the ground.

Jones won't be suspended as it didn't look high; should still be sighted for rough conduct, medium impact, off the ball and get a decent fine.  More if they take into account his past poor recorded.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DV8 said:

Nope. we don't need one of them.....................   we need a team like that.

Our team came out with aggression tonight and we carried it forward.

One player does not make a  'Diamond' Jim,  'Udtrrd'.

Well, not really. If we had 22 208cm lumbering battering rams with questionable ground skills but good ability to make a contest and get the ball forward, I don't think we'd get very far. Clearly misread the point I was making.

7 minutes ago, DaveyJones'sLocker said:

Absolute rubbish.

The fact that he was still on his knees gasping for air while he was on the bench proved that he was still quite distressed after the hit.

It would be a joke if Jones is not looked at! It was off the ball and Oliver wasn't even expecting. A dog act and not surprised by the tough faux style from Jones. He is soft as butter.

While given our history Sydney for us is a big scalp, let’s not forget they have only beaten Carlton this year and they are terrible at the SCG. 

I’m not taking anything away from this game, but had we played that first half against most teams we would be too far out of it by half time. 

We need to get a lot better to beat a very confident Saints outfit.

I just hope this win gives them the confidence they need to stop fumbling and second guessing their ball movement. 

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

While given our history Sydney for us is a big scalp, let’s not forget they have only beaten Carlton this year and they are terrible at the SCG. 

I’m not taking anything away from this game, but had we played that first half against most teams we would be too far out of it by half time. 

We need to get a lot better to beat a very confident Saints outfit.

I just hope this win gives them the confidence they need to stop fumbling and second guessing their ball movement. 

They beat carlton the ice-rink, not the SCG

13 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Yep.  It was great to see.  Not sure if it was picked up in the team song vid on the website, but Oliver, Gus and Trac all embraced together straight after the song as well.  Couple that with how every player got over to Goody after the siren and you can see how much they enjoy playing for Goody and as a team.  It's the one thing that helped me keep the faith, so to speak.  

We still need to back it up in the coming weeks, but I feel like the 'old' Melbourne is back.

I hope this isn’t the the ‘old’ untrustworthy dees wise! A great win and another hoodoo team, ground and buddy put too rest. The 10 day break will help with the injuries too the list hopefully. Credit too the coach and players for turning it around after the qrt and a bit that looked very familiar too our start too the season. A lot of good signs of things that can help us move fwd, IF, we can back it up. 

• Like 1