Illicit Drug Use in AFL

Lucifers Hero

16 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

So basically just drug test people who work in organisations or industries that you dislike?

Meteorologists and Tax officers, Parking officers and Drug testers should be tested then. And lawyers too please. Make it happen Serpico.

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:56 AM, Clintosaurus said:

Only difference between NRL and AFL is the AFL are much better at brand protection, also Sydney journos are not afraid to muckrake NRL players and clubs. AFL seems to be able to stop this from happening most of the time.

Cannabis, coke, heroin and ecstasy should be legalised.

fmd, you must be joking?.   Actually, don't bother, I know you're not.

Not sure about speed and no to meth. That said, OxyContin is a bigger problem than all of those, and most of those preaching zero tolerance in society are probably prescription pill poppers.

That's not pulled out of thin air at all, is it?

I agree with Dane Swan too on testing everyone in the AFL industry, not just players.

1 in all in. agree with this.

6 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Meteorologists and Tax officers, Parking officers and Drug testers should be tested then. And lawyers too please. Make it happen Serpico.

I'd add , Dentists, Bouncers, Property Developers, Bank Officials, Crowd Controllers, especially the ones that confiscate food and water and other beverages, and probably most members of the Clergy.

Edited by dieter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clintosaurus said:

I don't think so. Legalisation would be the end of testing but is years away as neither major party has the stones to do it. In the meantime testing others besides players would expose HQ, journos as the hypocrites they are. I also think pollies should be drug, iq and alcohol tested.

fixed it for ya

7 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Are school teachers drug tested? 

I’m a drug dealer and a pimp. It would be unethical for me not to use drugs.

• 7 months later...

Just heard Kevin Sheedy on ABC Radio National talking about how Hird was treated harshly in the drug scandal.   He provided the ultimate example of blinkered thinking and self-justification by the EFC.

He said (parapharasing because I can't recall the exact words): No one makes a fuss about diabetics injecting themselves into the stomach, but  Hird gets villified for just injecting a supplement.

At least the interviewer pulled him up by saying diabetics do it for life threatening reasons, not to gain an advantage.  Jesus wept - these EFC apologists live in a parallel universe.

2 hours ago, sue said:

Just heard Kevin Sheedy on ABC Radio National talking about how Hird was treated harshly in the drug scandal.   He provided the ultimate example of blinkered thinking and self-justification by the EFC.

He said (parapharasing because I can't recall the exact words): No one makes a fuss about diabetics injecting themselves into the stomach, but  Hird gets villified for just injecting a supplement.

At least the interviewer pulled him up by saying diabetics do it for life threatening reasons, not to gain an advantage.  Jesus wept - these EFC apologists live in a parallel universe.

Roosy was in our office yesterday with his high performing teams business (was better than most I’ve seen before) and he was asked about leadership at Ess at that time. He went on a long rant about how it all is supposed to the rest on the doctor on what the players take and nothing to to with the coaches, CEO or anyone else, but he ignored the Hird conversations talking about the stuff. 

In laws went to hear Sheedy talk at a footy club night right around the time ASADA was investigating Essendon. It was bought up and Sheeds reply was “they will be fine, ASADA don’t have enough evidence.” 
That says it all I told them. Nothing about them being fine cause they did nothing wrong. It was basically an admission of guilt.

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

Roosy was in our office yesterday with his high performing teams business (was better than most I’ve seen before) and he was asked about leadership at Ess at that time. He went on a long rant about how it all is supposed to the rest on the doctor on what the players take and nothing to to with the coaches, CEO or anyone else, but he ignored the Hird conversations talking about the stuff. 

In any case, it always surprised me that the EFC doc survived.  I don't recall he was penalised in any way.

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

with no records of who what and when.............. yes, lucky he is only villified.

Always been my top Concern

both Essendrug and Dank have produced no Paperwork or Receipts for ANYTHING. 

That tells me a lot. Both sides know they are gone, if any of those records get out. 
And if anyone wants to challenge that line of thinking, prove it with solid records...

How the Essendrug Club Doctor is still allowed to practice is mind boggling 

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Always been my top Concern

both Essendrug and Dank have produced no Paperwork or Receipts for ANYTHING. 

That tells me a lot. Both sides know they are gone, if any of those records get out. 
And if anyone wants to challenge that line of thinking, prove it with solid records...

How the Essendrug Club Doctor is still allowed to practice is mind boggling 

well the doc was not guilty by commission, but probably was by omission (depending on your viewpoint)

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Ignorance is no excuse. 1st rule of law i was taught

Well, ignorance of the law is no excuse, but ignorance of others committing crimes is not.  However I agree with you about the doc becuse I cannot believe he had the wool pulled over his eyes by the druggies.  And if he did, he is incompetent and so should have been sacked anyway.

32 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

well the doc was not guilty by commission, but probably was by omission (depending on your viewpoint)

Dr Bruce Reid wrote to James Hird and then football manager Paul Hamilton in January 2012 expressing his concern over the supplements program. His communication was revealed as part of the list of charges levelled by the AFL against the Bombers. 

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-21/full-text-of-dr-bruce-reids-letter

Should he have copied the Chairman or the CEO... probably yes.

Here's some brief extracts from that letter:

I am still not sure whether AOD/9604 is approved by the drug authorities in Australia at this stage. Just because it is not classified as illegal, doesn’t mean that it can be used freely in the community, it cannot.

I am sure Steve Danks believes that what we are doing is totally ethical and legal, however, one wonders whether if you take a long stance and look at this from a distance, whether you would want your children being injected with a derivative hormone that is not free to the community and whether calf’s blood, that has been used for many years and is still doubted by most doctors, is worth pursuing.

15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Ignorance is no excuse. 1st rule of law i was taught

never said he was ignorant of it. he (claims) had no part in it, advised against it and wrote letter to mgmt saying so.

but.....he stopped there and took no further actions, despite being the senior club doctor  (with a medical duty of care)

Edited by daisycutter

On 3/9/2019 at 3:05 PM, Biffen said:

Ah, but there's the ultimate slippery slope.

If you drug test lawyers, you'll get so many detections that all the lawyers will need lawyers so more people will have to become lawyers, who will then be drug tested and have detections so they will also need lawyers. This process continues until 100% of the population is drug tested.

A simpler solution would just be to drug test everyone constantly until enough false positive results have come through that the proverbial playing field is levelled out again.

NSW Police will love it. "Step into the tent, little girl."