Demon expats

phuket demon

On 1/13/2019 at 4:39 PM, Deeluded said:

I'm in Denver, Colorado. Are there any other people in the US?

Not a poster but I use this site to help keep up to date with the Dees. I’m in San Francisco.

Little tip for those wanting the watch afl pass (which is USD150 on its own if you’re in the USA). The Demons international membership includes the watch afl pass and is AUD170 (USD120ish). Save some cash and increase the membership count!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gaaawn said:

Not a poster but I use this site to help keep up to date with the Dees. I’m in San Francisco.

Little tip for those wanting the watch afl pass (which is USD150 on its own if you’re in the USA). The Demons international membership includes the watch afl pass and is AUD170 (USD120ish). Save some cash and increase the membership count!

what a wonderful piece of info Gaawn....thanks... I'm sure that will be of interest to many.

Here's the link if any want to look at it on the MFC membership site. (You even get one free admission).

https://membership.melbournefc.com.au/packages/view/970/international-member

• Like 1

Good that this thread has led to a few more people signing on to Demonland.  This site is a godsend for so many people living away from home, missing that connnection with footy.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Good that this thread has led to a few more people signing on to Demonland.  This site is a godsend for so many people living away from home, missing that connnection with footy.

Totally agree TPF39. I only wish I knew about this site when I was an expat. Spent about 7 years in the AFL wasteland of the Middle East. The time difference mostly meant you couldn’t watch live, and even if you could the internet was [censored]; the weekends being Friday and Saturday meant Sunday games were out, and the min 48 hour working week didn’t leave much time or energy for replays. But a demon blog site would have been great.

Gratefully back in Aus now.

22 hours ago, 3183 Dee said:

It was such a good place to live, although on my last trip back it’s gone pretty bobo now. Isn’t Palaiseau on the RER B, if I remember correctly? Easy trip into town.

Yes indeed, the much-maligned RER B.

As for bobo, yes, but I don't know that the 10e has a monopoly on a changing demographic.

7 hours ago, Gaaawn said:

This is seriously good info, I always bought a club family membership, I wonder if I can get a pass being overseas?, the membership has always been more of a donation than used. Because paying for watch afl on top of the membership is expensive.

FWIW Rome Italy the last 4 years- hugely enjoyable place to live, places to watch afl as well.

Moving to the ar$e of the earth, Djibouti, this month to follow wife's job, I will probably end up working in Hoediadah, Yemen, on a 4 week rotation, so big changes,  A big fear will be slow internet. 2 years and hopefully our last crappy gig and back to Europe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Uh yes LA, discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's [censored]

Great, I didn’t realize reading Demonland would be so educational!

Thanks Ethan, I’ll pass your history lesson on to the locals ?

6 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

This is seriously good info, I always bought a club family membership, I wonder if I can get a pass being overseas?, the membership has always been more of a donation than used. Because paying for watch afl on top of the membership is expensive.

FWIW Rome Italy the last 4 years- hugely enjoyable place to live, places to watch afl as well.

Moving to the ar$e of the earth, Djibouti, this month to follow wife's job, I will probably end up working in Hoediadah, Yemen, on a 4 week rotation, so big changes,  A big fear will be slow internet. 2 years and hopefully our last crappy gig and back to Europe.

Take care....those places don't exactly sound like the Greek Isles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Take care....those places don't exactly sound like the Greek Isles

Thanks I will and it's not, but the scuba diving is 1st class in DJB, swimming with whale sharks next week. 

Reason for going is my partner got a (good) job there. It is 50 to 55 deg in summer Jul/Aug/Sep, utterly miserable, but she is the love of my life and mother to our kid so what to do. 

Security wise it is safe in Djibouti so no stress there. I also bought 200kg + of italian produce ( kilos of walnuts and pine nuts and pasta etc) so I can make pizzas and bread etc which are hard to find. The cheese will require some more logistical expertise but that is in my lane as well.

As for Yemen it is close to her and has good FIFO ratio, and well my life insurance is huge... and we will build a bunker at the port like you wouldn't believe for when those Saudi S.O.B. are bombing everything.

Upside to Yemen is the Houthi hate ISIS and they have all been potted, so hopefully no orange is the new black style jump suit for moi. But yes sad to be leaving Rome.

PS she did organize an awesome TV and internet connection for home so watching footy will still happen.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

On 1/15/2019 at 7:32 PM, Gaaawn said:

In New York.  Any other Dees fans in New York?

Also watch every game on WatchAFL (with MFC International membership).

21 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I was living overseas at the end of 2005 and early 2006 and i used to go to extreme lengths for a bit a of WiFi (which wasn't so common then) just to read Demonland and have arguments with Rhino Richards.

Hindsight proved me correct in all of those arguments by the way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2019 at 8:42 PM, Un fan de Demons said:

Hi all, i discovered Demonland over the weekend and immediately signed up.

I live in South West France, near the beautiful Dordogne River. I've been a Melbourne supporter for more than 60 years. I attended the '64 Grand Final and still vividly remember the Gabelich and Crompton goals. I have been an overseas member for four years and watch every game on watchafl.

The Dordogne is a cool place, visited it a few times when holiday.  Welcome to demonland.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:32 PM, Gaaawn said:

Really? That's a great tip. Thanks! I bought the armchair membership and the watch aft pass last year.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, Gaaawn said:

The Demons international membership includes the watch afl pass and is AUD170 (USD120ish). Save some cash and increase the membership count!

T'anks Gaaawn_

Do you reckon the  'International Member' 'Global Pass'  would work for Aus local internet ?

Edited by DV8

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

T'anks Gaaawn_

Do you reckon the  'International Member' 'Global Pass'  would work for Aus local internet ?

it would require a vpn .. but why not go with Kayo. Assuming a seven month season at $25 a month that is $175 and you get all the rest of the sport as well

4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

it would require a vpn .. but why not go with Kayo. Assuming a seven month season at $25 a month that is $175 and you get all the rest of the sport as well

I thought I might be able to get footy live, and add my membership to the club, with the same hit.

I am 3 hrs drive from the city.   Or 1 hrs drive and 2 Hrs train... one way.

I 'fly' naked,  free to air.  

But would pay  (for free pass to my TV, and membership combo).   AFL live stream to PC to TV, and brownlow, national draft, etc.

Otherwise I just stay as I am, and stay free to air....  until that totally dries up in the TV networks drought on free to air...  Bleeding it not so slowly dry by 1000  cuts,  one at a time.

Shame corporate's, shame.

5G is a hungry beast... it will not only kill off free to air... but will no doubt bring other greed ideals with it as well.

Edited by DV8

Canberra ........that's just about as ex-pat as you can get.

Edited by Deeoldfart
Typo
  • Haha 2

Most of my time these days is divided between Ararat and Barwon.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:23 AM, Ethan Tremblay said:

Uh yes LA, discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's [censored]

Jazz Flute. Personally I play the fiddle.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, Diamond_Jim said:

what a wonderful piece of info Gaawn....thanks... I'm sure that will be of interest to many.

Here's the link if any want to look at it on the MFC membership site. (You even get one free admission).

Thats awesome. Then I'll get my Geelong supporting mate to fix me up for half of the the subscription as we share the log in credentials. 

Therefore a Geelong fanatic is adding to the MFC membership tally without realising. Win/win/win

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 1:26 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

When I looked at that site (for relative overseas) it wasn't clear to me if  the $170 membership included the watchafl pass or whether you had to pay an extra $125 to get that?  Why is the pass listed separately if not so?