• Podcast: No Merger Podcast &      

Demonland

Post Match Discussion - Preliminary Final

2 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Correct.

Reputations are made in finals.
And we reinforced our reputation as mentally and physically weak under real pressure.

Rubbish.

We won two games in front of 90,000+ as the favourites both times.

You can't say we're weak under pressure every time we lose. 

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'm thinking of keeping a tally.

I'm predicting he'll hit triple figures before Christmas.

You get so excited over small things

I haven’t thought about list decisions because, you know, yeah...glad that’s over 🙄

But yeah, Lewis and Jones should be in our bottom 6 players next year if we are to maintain where we are at.

We have to get actual wingers and Fritsch will help but we need a Wingard type that can run lines and deliver with accuracy.

Hogan and Lever help a lot and Stretch will be first 18 I think next year. Can Hunt be redeemed? All of these players push Lewis and Jones down and possibly out.

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Rubbish.

Correct.

But you can say it about yesterday, because it is the harsh truth. 

If you need proof we were mentally shot yesterday,  here are 2 examples to illustrate it. 

Petracca marks 40 out straight in front and passes to left footed Tyson, a worse shot for goal than him, on the left flank. 

ANB running straight into goal from 35 out, passes to Weid in pocket with 2 Eagles on him. 

There were many more because  we were belted mentally and played accordingly.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Redleg said:

If you need proof we were mentally shot yesterday,  here are 2 examples to illustrate it. 

Petracca marks 40 out straight in front and passes to left footed Tyson, a worse shot for goal than him, on the left flank. 

ANB running straight into goal from 35 out, passes to Weid in pocket with 2 Eagles on him. 

Yes. Nobody wanted to take responsibility and they didn’t

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

They've been doing it all year though.

The two you've mentioned are poor set shots at goal, which may well come into it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

For what reason?

Do we go with two key defenders plus Lever? 

Under pressure Frost and McDonald's skills, or lack thereof, were exposed.  I don't want both in the same backline.

I prefer (depending on matchups) to play two key defenders plus Lever, but not those two.  We got through two finals with them, but I don't think you want to try and go all the way with both.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ProDee said:

Under pressure Frost and McDonald's skills, or lack thereof, were exposed.  I don't want both in the same backline.

I prefer (depending on matchups) to play two key defenders plus Lever, but not those two.  We got through two finals with them, but I don't think you want to try and go all the way with both.

Fair enough.

To be fair, I think yesterday OMac might have been carrying an injury, as he went off early and didn't seem to be able to run properly for the rest of the game.

I also think that if we do persist with them, a full pre-season of the two of them learning to zone off and read each other and work together, with Lever (if he's back to training at some point over the summer), will make them a better unit.

• Like 3

A couple of things that have annoyed me:

1. Brayshaw constantly using his left foot when he can use his right, the ball goes up in the air and half the side off the side of his foot making the ball spin wonky, he needs to use that right foot when he can for penetration, when he uses his left it just looks like hes showing off.

2. Petraccas set shots for goals and one step field kicking.

3. Lewis, Jones, Tyson. Can the club make the hard calls.

4. On a sunny 26'c day in Perth, how can we slip and fall over as much as we did, I just cannot believe it.

5. Just a bad day, every club has them. 0 goals in a half of a prelim is shattering and embarrassing, but all in all a positive year.

6. The boys started to look tired v Hawks, we had the toughest run home of anyone don't forget. WCE in Perth, Sydney, GWS then Cats, Hawks and WCE in Perth again.

I'm looking forward to see what Jason Taylor etc can bring in, we seriously lack polish and skill, have done for decades.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Trade Petracca? 

Retire Jones and Lewis? 

All of you can get stuffed with that absolute [censored] rubbish talk. Yesterday was a terrible day but doesn’t take away what we’re building. 

I agree on trading Tyson though, he’s [censored] 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

Trade Petracca? 

Retire Jones and Lewis? 

All of you can get stuffed with that absolute [censored] rubbish talk. Yesterday was a terrible day but doesn’t take away what we’re building. 

I agree on trading Tyson though, he’s [censored] 

is there one person on here who rates Tyson? or is it just goodwin

16 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

A little darker even ;)

The 34 tackles is what has me stuffed. That is appallingly low for this side. I recall the commentary saying halfway through the second quarter that we’d had a total of nine tackles, five of which were in our forward 50. That’s four tackles across the rest of the ground approaching halftime.

Can that really just be mental? Surely not.

For whatever reason we just couldn’t get near them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Fair enough.

To be fair, I think yesterday OMac might have been carrying an injury, as he went off early and didn't seem to be able to run properly for the rest of the game.

I also think that if we do persist with them, a full pre-season of the two of them learning to zone off and read each other and work together, with Lever (if he's back to training at some point over the summer), will make them a better unit.

Wasn't there some rumours/talk before game that Omac mightn't get up for the game ?

Maybe just whispers...maybe not ?

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

You don’t think the players watched Friday nights game and some of them might have exclaimed “[censored]” or “holy shyte? The job suddenly became too hard. 

What a load of garbage.

• Haha 1

Next year Im going to look at Petracca as a player to take the next step in his game. He is going to come into this 4th year and for a number 2 pick he needs to play a lot better. 

Jones yes played badly but I reckon he will use his disappointing game yesterday to push himself harder and better next year. This guy has carried this club on his shoul;ders for many years. 

I have never seen Jetta fumble like that or kick so badly before. 

But now they need to know what is required to get tot he big day. 

I must say though it's a tad harsh from Mark Robinson to call us chokers. Yes we obviously played a crap 1st half but WC didn't allow us to play our game. No one expected us to make a prelim. The media jumped on our bandwagon and hyped us up. 

Id be more disappointed if I was richmond. They are the one's that finished top, had this amazing winning streak on the mcg and had a terrible 1st half. They should be copping it as well. Plus they took in a injured player who contributed nothing and there footy manager looking like a right royal fool by trying to tell us there is nothing wrong with him.

Anyway it was still a good season and we improved on last year. 

• Like 3

Interesting that the blokes that went over on the Thursday with families were the worst performed players on the ground. One, Lewis, looked as though he treated the trip as an early family holiday and was distracted and was right off. His position in this side is under question in my opinion. He was horrendous and not for the first time since he arrived, lost his marbles and set the negative tone for the team. 

37 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes. Nobody wanted to take responsibility and the didn’t

a very similar phenomenon as the latter quarters v Swans. Nobody...absolutely No One wanted to have a kick at goals if they could avoid it. Thats mental weakness.  You're out there...own it...It's your job to take the opportunities when they present. Most bizarre really...borders on squibbing imho

47 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Rubbish.

maybe this is the new problem...playing in front of small crowds !!! 😖

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

a very similar phenomenon as the latter quarters v Swans. Nobody...absolutely No One wanted to have a kick at goals if they could avoid it. Thats mental weakness.  You're out there...own it...It's your job to take the opportunities when they present. Most bizarre really...borders on squibbing imho

It does and it is a big worry. 

NOBODY stood up in the first half

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Forget Hunt

Has pace, but clubs have learnt to nullify him

Trade

Disagree.

Only line breaker with pace on the list. 

We need more pace not less.

• Like 4