Max the Lone Ranger: Hitouts to Advantage

Demonland

Stef martin in 2nd place? 

Freo / sandy back presumably because of injury 

Edited by dino rover
More stuff to say

36 minutes ago, Demon Jack said:

As fantastic as Grundy has been for Collingwood this season, surely this stat gives Maxy the edge in the battle for AA?

Mind boggling numbers.

To further back up his AA credentials Max leads the Coaches votes on 80 while Grundy is 11th on 56.

Coaches know a thing or two about this game so if Grundy gets the AA nod ahead of Max it is only as the AFL selectors like to play up to the 'Power' clubs.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

To further back up his AA credentials Max leads the Coaches votes on 80 while Grundy is 11th on 56.

Coaches know a thing or two about this game so if Grundy gets the AA nod ahead of Max it is only as the AFL selectors like to play up to the 'Power' clubs.  

AA inclusion won't help us win finals. It's a relatively pointless thing to worry about in the grand scheme of things. 

19 minutes ago, Smokey said:

AA inclusion won't help us win finals. It's a relatively pointless thing to worry about in the grand scheme of things. 

Sort of agree. It is a relatively pointless to worry about but after years of our club being either irrelevant or a joke it is brilliant to now have players seriously in contention for individual awards; Brownlow, AA, Coaches award. Hopefully a Norm Smith or two

Would be interested to know Max' round the ground stats for this year.

We all know that his goal kicking has gone to pieces but I feel his 2016 all round form was better.

That being said he has some absolute cracker games in the ruck this year particularly since Brayshaw has hit his straps along with Oliver.

I am still not convinced that a dominant ruckman by himself delivers that much if you don't have a really good mid field to back it up.

41 minutes ago, Smokey said:

That is true but this thread is about Max not about finals so its fair to respond to a post about his AA credentials.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

We all know that his goal kicking has gone to pieces but I feel his 2016 all round form was better.

That being said he has some absolute cracker games in the ruck this year particularly since Brayshaw has hit his straps along with Oliver.

I am still not convinced that a dominant ruckman by himself delivers that much if you don't have a really good mid field to back it up.

He was a massive stand out for mine on Sat night, just pants one of the premier ducks in the comp. 

DJ now that is an interesting debate... chicken and the egg type thing, is it the mids who make the ruck look better or vis versa, over a season is a ruck really threat important etc.

Without him I think we’d be a 2-3 game more loss worse off team as he just gives our mids such good service. I hope he can maintain this level for the next 3-4 years as Clarrie and Gus move into their career peaks, that will be amazing to watch.

• Like 1

Arguably the second best football quote of the year came from Oliver when he was interviewed on the ground after the Adelaide match. He was asked what it was like having Max as a ruckman and he responded (and I'm paraphrasing), "Amazing. I just tell him where I'm going to run to and he taps the ball to that spot and it lands in my lap".

And the best quote? Just after Zac Toohey kicks the winning goal and James Brayshaw calling the game on 7 says (and, again, I'm paraphrasing), "Which boy doesn't grow up dreaming of kicking a goal after the siren to win a game of AFL football?...(short pause)...Oh, probably Zac Toohey. When he was growing up he had probably never heard of the game." 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Demonland said:

Djet_02V4AA0eg3.jpg

He's Improved his accuracy markedly over the past 9 weeks or so. Re Hitouts to our Mids.

He's started picking packing our Mids pockets.

... brilliant of late.  Maxy.

But where are all the marks around the ground, son ?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=12&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=3346&pid2=3346&fid1=P&fopt1=2016&fid2=S

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smokey said:

Pointless..unless your remuneration has little bonuses for such awards 

I don't know that Max does....but they aren't uncommon .

25 minutes ago, DV8 said:

thanks for that DVB

I know that stats can be misleading but his 2018 form is marginally in front of his 2016 form on nearly all accounts except centre clearances and clearances from stoppages where his 2018 form is marginally down on 2016.

Strange thing those stats

Gun. He is the one player my 3 year old daughter recognises the moment he hits the TV screen. 

Has to be the AA ruckman. His rucking stats speak for itself. He might not win as much ball as Grundy, but he is a far better ruckman than he is. 

37 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

thanks for that DVB

I know that stats can be misleading but his 2018 form is marginally in front of his 2016 form on nearly all accounts except centre clearances and clearances from stoppages where his 2018 form is marginally down on 2016.

The biggest decline is actually in the tackle stat; 3.6 to 2.4 I'd like to think it's because he's getting so many hitouts to advantage that there's no one for him to tackle.

Great player. Hope to seeing him fit and firing for the Dees for another five years, by which time he'd be around the 200 career games mark.

Edited by Rogue

thanks for that DVB

No probs DJ.   I just learnt how to do this comparison with Maxy after your post...   so thank you.

Maxy has responded to some critique this season,,, and last season, after 2016 critiques... and he is now becoming the best Pro we could  have hoped for.

I still want him to get better with his number of marks around the ground. 

A few weeks back he took 11 marks in one game, and he can do this more often, IF he wants-to enough.

Maxy could become one of the Best-Ever Ruckmen... IF he put his mind to that.

But his years are numbered.

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Gun. He is the one player my 3 year old daughter recognises the moment he hits the TV screen. 

Has to be the AA ruckman. His rucking stats speak for itself. He might not win as much ball as Grundy, but he is a far better ruckman than he is. 

I'm certainly glad he's got his trademark beard back again.

Some things are just important in Footy.

Plugger and intimidation.

Flower and his artistry.

The Whizz fro his exhilaration and surprises.

The Ox for his amazing talents and his heart.

And now Maxy for his beard and sportsmanship, and one day for his dominance ?

1 hour ago, Rogue said:

The biggest decline is actually in the tackle stat; 3.6 to 2.4 I'd like to think it's because he's getting so many hitouts to advantage that there's no one for him to tackle.

Great player. Hope to seeing him fit and firing for the Dees for another five years, by which time he'd be around the 200 career games mark.

I'd prefer him take more marks per game, than worry too much about tackling... but love his chasing intensity.   He's like a T-Rex after a meal.