Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Elegt

The Need for Outside Midfielders

Recommended Posts

We desperately lack outside mids and have far too many slow inside mids in our team, this becomes evident when we play at the mcg or play running teams. on defensive transition our mids are 20m behind their men. I have seen this all season and seen it as our main deficiency. It is disgraceful we have not recruited any runners over the past few years. having dom Tyson in  the side makes this twice as bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Elegt said:

gaff for brayshaw is looking like a solid trade 

Gaff is a free agent

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a bit worried about the AFL Changing rules at seasons end, let’s say they bring in zones or something similar I don’t think that suits our contested game style suddenly outside runners could become very valuable if they have the space to open up a game, hunt could potentially dominate for example 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw clearly have a way to go with their fitness. As it lifts that will help our midfield transition. God knows the forwards and backs should improve as well.

As far as the wings go though - I think we need to just pick who we will play there and back them in.

Fritsch was looking really good. Now suddenly he's a forward again? He's a very good forward but moving him around robs peter to pay paul.

Gus and Harmes have been tried. Both like to hunt the ball too much IMO. Gus too slow as well. Lacks sustained speed.

Maybe now Viney is back we commit to Jones playing wing and train him as much as possible to be the outside player.

The inside mids were obliterated against Port, so we put Tyson on a wing to boost the stoppage play and provide a hard worker with a fit, capable body. But with no pace he doesn't help. So we all know that is only a stop gap. 

From here I'd go: Jones and Fritsch on the wings, maybe Harmes rotating wing/mid/forward. Add Spargo, T Smith and maybe even Baker or Bugg to the forward mix.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw clearly have a way to go with their fitness. As it lifts that will help our midfield transition. God knows the forwards and backs should improve as well.

As far as the wings go though - I think we need to just pick who we will play there and back them in.

Fritsch was looking really good. Now suddenly he's a forward again? He's a very good forward but moving him around robs peter to pay paul.

Gus and Harmes have been tried. Both like to hunt the ball too much IMO. Gus too slow as well. Lacks sustained speed.

Maybe now Viney is back we commit to Jones playing wing and train him as much as possible to be the outside player.

The inside mids were obliterated against Port, so we put Tyson on a wing to boost the stoppage play and provide a hard worker with a fit, capable body. But with no pace he doesn't help. So we all know that is only a stop gap. 

From here I'd go: Jones and Fritsch on the wings, maybe Harmes rotating wing/mid/forward. Add Spargo, T Smith and maybe even Baker or Bugg to the forward mix.

 

Neal bullen and stretch on the wings. need the fittest players on them. Jones and Fritsch too slow and unfit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, don't need em. 

Ask Goody. I arksed him. 

He only plays inside mids on the wings like Tyson and Harmes and it's the same with half forwards. ANB and Petracca. 

Ball use, composure and speed is overrated. He thinks it, not me. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Elegt said:

Neal bullen and stretch on the wings. need the fittest players on them. Jones and Fritsch too slow and unfit 

Happy for Stretch to be trialled again. I don't see ANB as a wing at all even with his fitness. If we are to play a guy purely for fitness on a wing it should be Bugg. Did the job there under Roos.

Fritsch is quick enough, lovely skills. Fitness is good but not great, should improve in future years.

A lot of our problems come from just not having the experience in our midfield group. They all have to get fitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Happy for Stretch to be trialled again. I don't see ANB as a wing at all even with his fitness. If we are to play a guy purely for fitness on a wing it should be Bugg. Did the job there under Roos.

Fritsch is quick enough, lovely skills. Fitness is good but not great, should improve in future years.

A lot of our problems come from just not having the experience in our midfield group. They all have to get fitter.

spuds like Sinclair and armitage showed our wings out today. desperately need fitness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Elegt said:

We desperately lack outside mids and have far too many slow inside mids in our team, this becomes evident when we play at the mcg or play running teams. on defensive transition our mids are 20m behind their men. I have seen this all season and seen it as our main deficiency. It is disgraceful we have not recruited any runners over the past few years. having dom Tyson in  the side makes this twice as bad. 

No we don't.

We lack running mids who go. we lack pace and foot skills.

 

But we do not want or need pure outsiders.  see garlett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Murphy signed for 2 years today didn't he?

God I hope he didn't mean Bob Murphy?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Elegt said:

gaff for brayshaw is looking like a solid trade 

 

unnamed (8).gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a fit and in form Jayden Hunt we look so slow: miss him when he's at his best so badly

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sisso said:

Without a fit and in form Jayden Hunt we look so slow: miss him when he's at his best so badly

With Hunt and Jeffy playing good footy, we are a far more formidable team.

ATM we are probably the slowest team in the AFL.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

It might be time to give Baker a run. Good showing yesterday apparently - can anyone expand on his performance yesterday? Does he seem ready?

Hope he's fitter than Petty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

With Hunt and Jeffy playing good footy, we are a far more formidable team.

ATM we are probably the slowest team in the AFL.

Yep the form of these two have hurt us this year badly, besides Gaff I'd like us to bring in some Saad types, I can't even think of any worth pursuing that's close to out of contract, anyone have any ideas?

We have tried but kind of failed in Scully, Toumpas, Salem didn't turn out to be the pacey player I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Elegt said:

gaff for brayshaw is looking like a solid trade 

No way would I do that or even nearly do that. Brayshaw is trending upwards in a massive way. Great month of footy and is improving every game. He would be our most improved this year. Gaff is a vanilla mid, who whilst I acknowledge he is mostly an outside mid, he is a slow outside mid. We need a Tim Kelly type mid - blistering on the outside. Personally I wouldn't even entertain a straight swap of Brayshaw for Gaff. Gaff is a FA and if WC match him then they can have him. Gaff is massively overrated on this board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, willmoy said:

Hope he's fitter than Petty.

Baker will go very well at AFL level. Give him a license to run. Petty was never going to go well as he was playing a difficult position and was more or less thrown to the wolves. As stupid of an inclusion as I have seen. Baker will be coming in and playing an easier position, where his strengths are exactly what the position calls for (run, run, run). Petty's position calls for him to be strong and accountable. He was neither and it wasn't his fault. With experience comes accountability (as you learn to be accountable because you know full well the cost). It was stupid to include Petty. It would be smart to bring in Baker.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sisso said:

Without a fit and in form Jayden Hunt we look so slow: miss him when he's at his best so badly

We have a few who are quick, but have average foot skills or just don't get enough of it. Hunt is a poor kick, Stretch goes missing, Baker is apparently a poor kick as well.

Then we have a number who aren't quick but have good foot skills, e.g. Salem, Jetta. 

Unfortunately, Lewis and Vince now struggle with both. 

Would be ideal to pick up/trade for someone quick off the mark who can use it well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

No way would I do that or even nearly do that. Brayshaw is trending upwards in a massive way. Great month of footy and is improving every game. He would be our most improved this year. Gaff is a vanilla mid, who whilst I acknowledge he is mostly an outside mid, he is a slow outside mid. We need a Tim Kelly type mid - blistering on the outside. Personally I wouldn't even entertain a straight swap of Brayshaw for Gaff. Gaff is a FA and if WC match him then they can have him. Gaff is massively overrated on this board. 

This post is just odd.

Gaff is vanilla? 

Tim Kelly is blistering on the outside?

Next you will be telling us that Brayshaw is an elite kick. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    QUEENS BIRTHDAY BLOCKBUSTER by Bananabender

    A little known fact for Victorians is that Queenslanders don’t celebrate the Queen's Birthday in June but rather in October. The scheduled date on this year’s calendar is 5 October, 2020. However, I have a suggestion for Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and that is to move the date forward a month and a half to this Saturday so that the coming clash of traditional rivals, Melbourne and Collingwood, continues a longstanding tradition of our game — the Queen’s Birthday Blockbuster. Her Majesty w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING 2.0 by George on the Outer

    Once again the banks of Adelaide’s Torrens River witnessed the Melbourne Football Club handing out another on-field thumping to its opponent. This time the hapless victim was North Melbourne and given it was only the club’s second win against them since 2007, it was a very satisfying outcome. The Demons got off to a slow start once again, looking listless from their four day break, a situation that wasn’t helped by Sam Weideman and Christian Petracca missing easy set shots. At the first bre

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...