Nathan Jones Media Conference

Demons1858

8 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Maybe, i was just saying why he didn't

How does that explain the boss's absence ?

3 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Part of a captain's job is to eat a [censored] sandwich when required.

No excuses. I hope Viney does not come out and say "I didn't have to grovel because I wasn't in that game" -- because that would disqualify him from the captaincy.

And this is the danger of having co-captains in my opinion. At least when there is one we are left with no doubt as to who to look to in good times and bad times. This pick and choosing stuff might be new age but it just doesn't feel right for a traditionalist.

The burning unknown for the next eight months will be if this will spur us on and  rectify the problem or will we go the other way? Given the clubs DNA it's looks very uncertain as while the club has improved in many areas the mental aspects are as bad as they ever were. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Im not so much fussed about Viney , in a fashion. Maybe he was in the gym starting his Preseason :rolleyes: but you would have thought as Ted ,I  and many think he'd be there. Again I'm more dismayed the othe bloke wasn't. 

I have no doubt some are mumbling...the old codger's rambling again but its how you carry yourself in these moments that will define you.

We still have serious cultural problems ar Melbourne i regretably deduce.

12 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Part of a captain's job is to eat a [censored] sandwich when required.

No excuses. I hope Viney does not come out and say "I didn't have to grovel because I wasn't in that game" -- because that would disqualify him from the captaincy.

What were Jones Stats in the 1st Quarter? That to me is more important. 

As the Captain how many times did he not tackle a Filth Player in the First 11 Minutes?

Viney had no control over any of that. 

9 minutes ago, america de cali said:

The burning unknown for the next eight months will be if this will spur us on and  rectify the problem or will we go the other way? Given the clubs DNA it's looks very uncertain as while the club has improved in many areas the mental aspects are as bad as they ever were. 

I can see a degree of validity in this. There's no certainty we'll sort out our foibles at all. We hope so.

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

What were Jones Stats in the 1st Quarter? That to me is more important. 

As the Captain how many times did he not tackle a Filth Player in the First 11 Minutes?

Viney had no control over any of that. 

I know I know...but  this isn't Sat..that's over ..No one can change what happened or what they did..What is done is done

What any do NOW..is what matters.

What's happening currently causes  me concern

10 minutes ago, america de cali said:

That's what worries me. 17 clubs will target us now, even harder than before because we choked harder than almost anyone. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I agree on that one. 

I can't remember what Bartlett looks like...

I was actually thinking about Badloss... but indeed ...where's ol Bartlett..indeed where's anyone other than Chunk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

I know I know...but  this isn't Sat..that's over ..No one can change what happened or what they did..What is done is done

What any do NOW..is what matters.

What's happening currently causes  me concern

But what is Viney going to say?

Jones was out there as part of the sh!t. 

4 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

I've blindly had my membership taken out each month. No longer, they don't deserve my blind loyalty.  

For once I'm going to wait and see what happens. Time for the club to prove that they deserve us.  

I can't argue against this..  you sort of want to but much bitten, more shy now :(

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, layzie said:

And this is the danger of having co-captains in my opinion. At least when there is one we are left with no doubt as to who to look to in good times and bad times. This pick and choosing stuff might be new age but it just doesn't feel right for a traditionalist.

Agreed.

Everyone knows that Viney is really the vice captain.

But as long as he wears the name tag that says "captain" he has to do everything expected of a captain. Including the bad parts.

14 hours ago, Biffen said:

I did not question his effort.

As usual he put in but he was beaten by some average players in contests he would normally win.

He lost a contest to pie eater Kirby which resulted in a goal.

Thats not what you said but.

17 minutes ago, america de cali said:

This is the number one issue facing the club.

More than another big forward, more than the McDonalds/Frost/Lever/whoever setup down back.

Mental fragility is the number one issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

That's what worries me. 17 clubs will target us now, even harder than before because we choked harder than almost anyone. 

Brisbane already did in round 22. They really thought they had our number. And we practically printed it out for them in big letters and stuck it in their kit bags to make sure.

Collingwood did. Because that's the kind of [censored] they are. And we didn't want to ruin their big day so we rolled over for them.

Carlton did both times we played them. They know what can happen, first hand, when you give the mighty dees the treatment.

Look forward to it in '18!

If we're made of anything, we will stand up.

Otherwise, look out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It will be the biggest challenge of all with this group. No doubt about it.

Will it actually burn in the players guts? Or in a month or two after they've had their footy trip and time mended the wounds will it just go back to being a job and half hearted efforts are acceptable again? The mental aspect is not going to be easy to overcome as we all know.

10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But what is Viney going to say?

Jones was out there as part of the sh!t. 

thats not the point...this was a moment in time to offer apologies for a dismal [censored] up season that culminated in Saturdays abysmal performance..not to discuss sat as such at all. therefore Viney, Chunk and Badloss ought to have been there. In reality only  Badloss and perhaps Buttlett should have been the ones

Tbh press conferences mean nothing, every pregame interview where a player says something along the lines of 'this time we're ready' we lose. Better we avoid the press insofar as we can contractually 

6 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Brisbane already did in round 22. They really thought they had our number. And we practically printed it out for them in big letters and stuck it in their kit bags to make sure.

Collingwood did. Because that's the kind of [censored] they are. And we didn't want to ruin their big day so we rolled over for them.

Carlton did both times we played them. They know what can happen, first hand, when you give the mighty dees the treatment.

Look forward to it in '18!

If we're made of anything, we will stand up.

Otherwise, look out.

Yes i know they did, but our Round 23 effort puts our vulnerbility in another level for next year. 

Goodwin's job just 10 times harder. 

Watch that hair go white over summer!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

thats not the point...this was a moment in time to offer apologies for a dismal [censored] up season that culminated in Saturdays abysmal performance..not to discuss sat as such at all. therefore Viney, Chunk and Badloss ought to have been there. In reality only  Badloss and perhaps Buttlett should have been the ones

Badloss???

Goodwin has constatntly said 'we aren't concerned about what's happened in the past' etc Well we are and the problem if you ignore the past is that it gets repeated.

Many of us remember the heartbreak of the 87 prelim, the 88 GF and the 2000 GF.  We survived through the crap years of 2007 -2016. We endured ridicule and watched as other teams consistently re-invented themselves like the Hawks, the Swans, West Coast, the Cats, the Dogs etc. We watched as other players from other clubs continually get voted in the AA team, win media awards, play finals year in year out and reach elite status.

We have rarely seen an elite player. I would say, if you were totally unbiased, the last elite player we have had is David Neitz. And we have probably had 3 or 4 elite players in 25 years. Its just not [censored] good enough.

Melbourne are the perennial laughing stock. Every team thinks they can beat us by putting pressure on us.

My kids have never seen finals. I have seen two GF thrashings.  

Few of these players or coaches for that matter remember much of what went on. Many of them are comfortable with their high paying jobs in elite sport. But we the supporters know. We remember. And it hurts.

The coaches and the players will come and go and I will support them while they are there. They will pull their big salaries and live a comfy life but at the end of the day it is us the supporters that continue to ensure that this club exists. Without us there is no club.

These mentally weak pea hearts need to be rooted out of the club. I want to see some mongrel and some passion shown by the players and the coaches. I want NQR players gone. If they can't improve and strive to be elite they have no business at our club.

Words mean nothing. Couldn't care less. Show us some action on the field or [censored] off.

I want every player to sit in the front row of every final. I want it to burn their guts that they aren't out there. There are 18 teams and 8 of them every year make finals. We haven't done it for 11 years. Its plain embarrassing and the players and the club and players should be ashamed.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 3