Pies fans want out of QB Big freeze match

pineapple dee

3 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

This was one of the more articulate and compelling comments  Mauriesy. 

Except it's not use it's yous.

2 hours ago, Robot Devil said:

Isn't this just their supporters saying "You can't fire me because I quit!"?

They know they are spiraling into the abyss so are trying to lessen the hurt by saying they didn't want this game anyway.

My theory (which is mine!) is that the generation of PIes supporters since 1990 have become soft.

They haven't had nearly as much opportunity as their brethren from 1960 to 1989 to harden themselves up by having to deal with the crushing disappointment of narrow GF losses (and that ball that Wayne Johnson tapped back into play for the winning goal was OOB!!!)

They need to toughen up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Couldn't find any mention of MFC... (great history by the CFC one has to admit)

http://cfc-forever.qodo.com.au/a-famous-patch-of-turf/

http://cfc-forever.qodo.com.au/victoria-park-is-born/

http://cfc-forever.qodo.com.au/football-comes-to-victoria-park/

"Victoria Park was first purchased by John Dight in 1838 for 13 pounds and 12 shillings an acre. Dight bought 84 acres bounded by Johnston St and Reilly St, between Hoddle St and the Yarra River, and bequeathed the family name to the land until the 1870s (hence its less than flattering original tag of Dight’s Paddock)"

The next bit is straight out of Power without Glory

"The land was sold a year after that proclamation for almost 20 times its original purchase price. Its new owner, Edwin Trenerry, had no association with Collingwood or the increasingly popular pastime of Australian Rules. He lived almost 20,000km away in England.

The sale was orchestrated by solicitor David Abbott and clerk Frederick Trenerry Brown, the latter a nephew of the new owner. Trenerry’s land would skyrocket in value almost immediately, thanks to some astute business nous from Abbott. Abbott made a proposal to the Collingwood Council for them to take possession of part of the land for use as a community recreation reserve. On face value, it was a noble gesture. However, the offer of 10-and-a-quarter acres carried a catch – the Council had to agree to spend 250 pounds per acre towards ‘the making of the streets around and leading to the reserve’. That sum was precisely the amount Trenerry had paid for the land and it was clear that any such work on making the road around the Paddock would dramatically raise the value of the land."

Hmm ok. Can't remember where i read about the MFC involvement. I will try and find it

8 hours ago, mauriesy said:

This thread is much ado about nothing.

I hardly think the AFL is going to pay much attention to Collingwood supporters who get on BigFooty and produce stuff like this ...

"Lol at melbourne supporters use are a rubbish team. If use actually dont believe yesterdays game was rigged use dont know footy. Some of the calls we absolute ridiculous. Even so you have had essendon Richmond and hawthorn supporters saying who dont like us even a little. With all the draft picks and the hope of making top 4 use have absolute no chance after beating a collingwood team with 26 men on your team and a weakened collongwoof side missing many key players. "

^_^

Isn't that cute - it's like those adorable critters are trying to speak our language!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, danielE288 said:

Yeah cut yourself off from the AFL, great tactic. Embarrassing.

Eddie's Dream. To be the premier club in the Collingwood Football League. Each week they play an undermanned Essendon Richmond or Carlton a la the Washington Generals in front of 90,000 with the entire gate going to Collingwood. Followed by an all night FTA football panel with Brereton, Carey, etc, singing the eternal praises of Collingwood. Each year Nathan Buckley wins the Brownlow even though he's retired.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mauriesy said:

"Lol at melbourne supporters use are a rubbish team. If use actually dont believe yesterdays game was rigged use dont know footy. Some of the calls we absolute ridiculous. Even so you have had essendon Richmond and hawthorn supporters saying who dont like us even a little. With all the draft picks and the hope of making top 4 use have absolute no chance after beating a collingwood team with 26 men on your team and a weakened collongwoof side missing many key players. "

They're too dim to realise when they're being wound up.

21 hours ago, Win4theages said:

Monday afternoon must have really really hurt those creatures.????? In 2007 we received 4 Friday night games after winning a final against St.Kilda in 2006 we would have to do something similar this year to reicieve something similar. But look at St.Kilda, what have they done? 3 Friday Night games for them, guessing the AFL thought their performances were going to spike and ours not so much.

We do get ANZAC Eve and QB though, the Saints have no marquee games.

• Like 1

The funny thing, to me , about this narrative is in reality its far from a fair cross section of pie supporters. 

My wife, her family ( cath ) , five mates.....all filth. All look fwd to the qbw game.  They're not liking the losing of standing bets now..but hey...my turn ;)

One of their BF posters has started a word association game (which isn't really word association in how it seems to work). I wonder if they have this thread to try and broaden their collective vocabulary and language skills! 

It is incredibly dull reading with each poster putting one word that follows on from the word in the last post. Some of these don't even make sense! I only looked through a couple of pages but must report that I didn't see the misuse of the words use at all. I wish there was a way I could give them a happy elephant stamp!

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/association-word-game-2.1142852/page-306

A word of caution fellow Dlanders...the longer one spends on a Collingwood board the more of your grey cells die!!

come away

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

A word of caution fellow Dlanders...the longer one spends on a Collingwood board the more of your grey cells die!!

come away

I enjoy the illusion that I come away with that I am of above average intelligence.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We do get ANZAC Eve and QB though, the Saints have no marquee games.

I understand we have these games but any other club could have come up with the Anzac Eve fixture. That's just our clubs creative thinking as with QB I could be wrong here it was our request to have collingwood as part of this fixture so these are two pieces of MFC marketing genius. Friday Night Games you have to earn and St.Kilda ain't earned 3 of them on performance. I would also presume the end of Hawthorn's Friday night hold is coming to an end.

1 hour ago, Win4theages said:

I understand we have these games but any other club could have come up with the Anzac Eve fixture. That's just our clubs creative thinking as with QB I could be wrong here it was our request to have collingwood as part of this fixture so these are two pieces of MFC marketing genius. Friday Night Games you have to earn and St.Kilda ain't earned 3 of them on performance. I would also presume the end of Hawthorn's Friday night hold is coming to an end.

Doesn't matter who could've come up with what, I'm just saying St. Kilda may have 4 Friday games but that's about it for fixturing favours. They're not the ones who need looking at, its the Blues, Pies, Tigers, Bombers who continually get dream fixtures despite being relatively rubbish for the last decade and a half, give or take.

• Like 2

I must admit Im not sure why we combine the Daniher/MND/Big Freeze with The Queens Birthday match. Much better to move it to our match with the Bombers. Make it a Saturday night clash with all the bells and whistles. The result would be

1). We get another blockbuster/TV exposure and a chance to beat the drug lords with a national exposure

2). Probably a bigger fundraising opportunity as both the Daniher clubs are playing

3). We still keep QB 

Win. Win. Win

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fndee said:

I must admit Im not sure why we combine the Daniher/MND/Big Freeze with The Queens Birthday match. Much better to move it to our match with the Bombers. Make it a Saturday night clash with all the bells and whistles. The result would be

1). We get another blockbuster/TV exposure and a chance to beat the drug lords with a national exposure

2). Probably a bigger fundraising opportunity as both the Daniher clubs are playing

3). We still keep QB 

Win. Win. Win

Well put and it sounds like a bloody good idea.  Are you involved in a type of boat business in Port Douglas FND ???

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fndee said:

That would be me Pineapple. Coming back our way?

Yes we are, in September. Must put some business your way. When is the safest month for Victorians to get amongst the crocodiles ???

On 13/06/2017 at 2:12 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

It is more Collingwood supporters calling it charity. 

Personally i am amazed this fixturing still exists, but as good as it is I am sure Collingwood get a good deal on the day. 

We got QB when we had nothing else

If things change now we are in more of a position to negotiate. 

QB started from 1958 when 99,000 + came to see Melbourne and Collingwood play during the season. 

Still a record that stands. So i like it, but now it is just another game. PJ is making sure of that

I was there at that match when I was a nipper , didn't see much , only the backs of people's legs . I think we were ground level standing in the Olympic stand . I remember building a stack of beer cans in order to stand on them . Also was at the draw at Victoria park that year if I remember correctly 

• Like 3

A stack of beer cans....now that's a memory ;)

Thanks Demonique