WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - STEVEN MAY

DemonLad5

4 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I thought this before the weekend, and given our set up this has confirmed it more so for me, but May while a very good player, is more a stand next to a gorilla and nullify them, rather than fit into a zone and be able to play on bigs and smalls. He is a very good full back, but I don't necessarily see him as also potentially a CHB or 3rd tall. Given we're very much into the zone structure we need guys with a bit more flexibility, Frost, TMac and even OMac can play all of FB, CHB and 3rd tall. 

I still think Trengove from Port might be a better fit to the way we play, plus as a free agent won't cost us as much in what we have to give up. Might be the same $ but no draft picks or loss of players.  

May looked very quick and is a decent kick with a good grab. He and TMac would be a strong combo against talls, and both have very good pace.

• Like 1

Just now, Bay Riffin said:

May looked very quick and is a decent kick with a good grab. He and TMac would be a strong combo against talls, and both have very good pace.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very high quality player in particular in his primary role. However, I think with the way we play he'd be asked to be part of the zone more often than not, and he got caught out a couple of times having to double back or zone off (as someone mentioned earlier he got done over by Garlett). So I think he might not work fully with our game plan. Plus the cost would be high - both $ and acquisition (draft picks/players).  

Hibberd      T.McDonald        Hunt

Jetta              May              Frost

A back-line like above has a lot of pace, flexibility and hardness. The positive thing is that we have 5/6 positions filled already. May might not be the player we are targeting, but it is clear that we lack another quality KPD. 

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Members' Wing said:

Brett Anderson who's got pretty good sources and is a huge Dees man has been saying for the past few weeks that we're having huge cracks at both May and Lever. 

Fair enough.  I have no doubt we will be asking the questions, but it feels like we're on the periphery at the moment.

3 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Nobody knows anything, I'm not sure why you've drawn a conclusion from the fact you haven't officially heard that we're targeting May.

I know everything.

Seriously though Steve, I've drawn that conclusion from what I've heard this year.  What else can I do?  I'm sure we are doing our due diligence but, at the moment, it seems we're on the periphery and if Steven May does decide to leave then the Hawks are in the box seat.  Doesn't mean we're out of it, but I just don't think we will see Steven May in the red and blue next season.  I'd love it if he was, though.

51 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Seriously though Steve, I've drawn that conclusion from what I've heard this year.  What else can I do?  I'm sure we are doing our due diligence but, at the moment, it seems we're on the periphery and if Steven May does decide to leave then the Hawks are in the box seat.  Doesn't mean we're out of it, but I just don't think we will see Steven May in the red and blue next season.  I'd love it if he was, though.

Don't doubt you Wise, but what can the Hawks give? May is not a Free Agent, and they gave up their first rounder for this year in last year's trade period. That only leaves them with next year's first rounder. Sure they still have some decent players' but last year showed that none of these players' want to leave.

• Like 1

Just now, Demon Disciple said:

Don't doubt you Wise, but what can the Hawks give? May is not a Free Agent, and they gave up their first rounder for this year in last year's trade period. That only leaves them with next year's first rounder. Sure they still have some decent players' but last year showed that none of these players' want to leave.

That's true, DD.  I often forget that aspect when it comes to the Hawks and they've kind of shot themselves in the foot a little.  If they go full rebuild they are already missing picks, but if they try and top up their list they don't have the means to do it without sacrificing a good player in the process.

They have players on the list who would have currency, but they won't want to give them up.  If May wants to get there then the Hawks may need to pull off an absolute miracle to get it done, but if anyone can do it then it's the Hawks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deespicable me said:

I preferred their player Jack Leslie, if he was available, or gettable. Probably on a lot less than May so an offer of around 500 a season would be a good deal for us I reckon.

Ahhh - I see you've fallen for the player that is a spud against every other team, but played alright against Melbourne once in their career.  See Tim O'Brien.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

Giving up what may be pick 1 or 2 for May seems a bit steep.

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Fair enough.  I have no doubt we will be asking the questions, but it feels like we're on the periphery at the moment.

I know everything.

Is May a FA? If he's not not sure how the Hawks can get the deal done.

Edit - never mind just saw subsequent posts

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

The other advantage of Trengove (over May) is his flexibility whereby he can play in the ruck and also pinch-hit up forward as required.

I'm definitely warming to getting him as a free agent and holding onto our first round pick rather than giving anything up for May / Lever, as much as I love Lever.

You'd expect they'd all be on similar $$ but getting Trengove would cost us nada in terms of giving anything up (other than the cap space) to get him in.

• Like 3

How about we get Goody, Hibberd and Melk to do some serious recruiting and get in Michael Hurleys ear.

Talk about the perfect player to top off our potential premiership list.  Problem is it would cost us something like our 1st rounder + Angus Brayshaw.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Petraccattack said:

How about we get Goody, Hibberd and Melk to do some serious recruiting and get in Michael Hurleys ear.

Talk about the perfect player to top off our potential premiership list.  Problem is it would cost us something like our 1st rounder + Angus Brayshaw.

Done in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

He would've been handy to help as a ruck in the absence of Gawn and Spencer

Just sayin'...

No he wouldn't. Pedersen playing as an old fashioned follower is more effective than having Fitzpatrick on the field.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

He just re-signed last year, I think we had a fair crack and he decided to stay. Plus dealing with Essendon would cost at least our first this year and next, Brayshaw, Tracc, Oliver, Gawn, Hogan and Viney. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is May a FA? If he's not not sure how the Hawks can get the deal done.

Edit - never mind just saw subsequent posts

It would be hard for the hawks but may I say how incredibly terrible for the league and a vomit in the mouth moment if Hawthron after acquiring Lake from the struggling Doggies, then acquiring Frawley for the struggling Dees (and acquiring premierships because of it), then just go and get a third key back in May.

How sickening that would be, if its not already showing how free agency is the catasptrophic flaw in evening up the competition.

Seriously Hawthorn have no objective to develop through the draft, to develop Hawthorn players. just pillage other teams lists and the AFL rules are to blame. and its sickening to watch.

38 minutes ago, hank said:

Fitzpatrick was not a KPP he was a ruckman / forward and not to good at either. 

I can recall him playing somewhat of a breakout game against the Hawks as a defender, maybe that's why they picked him up?

Point being 200cm+ don't really exist.

1 hour ago, hank said:

Steven May is to short. What we do not need at Melbourne is another 193cm key position player. We need 200+cm. 

It's about the quality of player you are. If you're a high quality defender, you're going to know how to combat 7+ cm in height. 

May and Hurley are both 193 cm but are better than any defender we have. They use their bodies, strength and timing to outmanoeuvre taller opponents. 

The height issue is overtalked. 

Of course, if there is little pressure on the ball carrier coming in and the kick is too good, no defender will be able to stop that. 

There are no elite defenders in the league that stand at 200cm. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

It's about the quality of player you are. If you're a high quality defender, you're going to know how to combat 7+ cm in height. 

May and Hurley are both 193 cm but are better than any defender we have. They use their bodies, strength and timing to outmanoeuvre taller opponents. 

The height issue is overtalked. 

Of course, if there is little pressure on the ball carrier coming in and the kick is too good, no defender will be able to stop that. 

There are no elite defenders in the league that stand at 200cm. 

The irony is that posters keep saying they want May because he is a bigger type of defender than the ones we have. He's not.

Personally I don't think recruiting May would solve many problems. 

• Like 2