The Petracca v McCartin debate reprised

Whispering_Jack

5 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I quite like McCartin, but I would be concerned by his body shape if I was a Saints supporter.  And if that is linked to his diabetes it's an issue.

Right now he looks fat and slow.

Yep, I'd be concerned too, but I'd also understand that bigger blokes take time.

Agreed that if it's linked to his diabetes it is a problem though. But much of the criticism isn't linked to this it seems.

Paddy isn't just a case of being that bigger bloke... therefore....etc etc.

He appears lumbering at times and not up to game speed. ( As others suggest not ideally physiqued :unsure: )

Weed by comparison is too gangly atm often in wrong spot but at times quite with it and of a pace.

Paddy might come good...might. Atm appears more a might than a should.

Not quite what they were hoping for id suspect. 

• 4 weeks later...

Imagine.......... it was us who had taken Paddy McCartin over Christian Petracca. In his third year with patchy form, limited impact, injury worries and a cloud over his long term health, he would been lynched on this site by now. In the wider football public the club would been ridiculed for adding to its pantheon of bad early round draft picks.

The Saints would have Petracca, who would be now beginning to star. We would hate his talent and arrogance and secretly wish we had him........... WELL WE DO! YESSSSSSS!!!!!

What a 'sliding door moment' that was

• 2 weeks later...

I have no particular knowledge of how many concussions it takes for a club to be really cautious with a young player. 

But it must put a lot of pressure on the player to keep playing when the coach (Richardson) says:  "Paddy would've played this week if he had have pulled up well but the reality is he's still a little bit off and so he won't play this week," http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-26/six-and-out-for-concussed-st-kilda-forward-mccartin

The kid has had 6 concussions in a 2 years.  I hope the AFL doctor's monitor this sort of stuff.

I can't help compare how mfc is going about an almost identical situation with Gus.  We pulled him out altogether and told him to take his time physically and psychologically.  Every week Misson says he is coming along fine but there is no time frame for his return. 

If I was a parent i know which club I would want my son at

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I have no particular knowledge of how many concussions it takes for a club to be really cautious with a young player. 

But it must put a lot of pressure on the player to keep playing when the coach (Richardson) says:  "Paddy would've played this week if he had have pulled up well but the reality is he's still a little bit off and so he won't play this week," http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-26/six-and-out-for-concussed-st-kilda-forward-mccartin

The kid has had 6 concussions in a 2 years.  I hope the AFL doctor's monitor this sort of stuff.

I can't help compare how mfc is going about an almost identical situation with Gus.  We pulled him out altogether and told him to take his time physically and psychologically.  Every week Misson says he is coming along fine but there is no time frame for his return. 

If I was a parent i know which club I would want my son at

I think paddy feels a lot more pressure as well, he is desperate to get into that side and stay there, but gus while I'm sure he's just as desperate has a lot more confidence getting himself right because we need him to be a 200 gamer for us 

I'd love to hear a McCartin-type comparison in terms of body shape. I've always leaned towards body types dictating the trajectory of a player's career. For example, Goddard at the Saints I reckon is similarly built to Jack Watts. Even is a great kick like Jack. Jack's a bit taller and quicker. Goddard a better mark, but still...

Who around the AFL resembles a lunking great chubby lad like McCartin? I can't think of anyone. Mummy maybe? Not at that age though.

3 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

I'd love to hear a McCartin-type comparison in terms of body shape. I've always leaned towards body types dictating the trajectory of a player's career. For example, Goddard at the Saints I reckon is similarly built to Jack Watts. Even is a great kick like Jack. Jack's a bit taller and quicker. Goddard a better mark, but still...

Who around the AFL resembles a lunking great chubby lad like McCartin? I can't think of anyone. Mummy maybe? Not at that age though.

He's a Tom Hawkins clone.

Just now, Clint Bizkit said:

He's a Tom Hawkins clone.

Yeah that's not bad. I reckon Tomahawk was carved out of stone from when he was drafted. But yeah, both have the proverbial turning circle of the QE2.

Speaking of Hawkins... so many people rate him. I really, really don't. And not because of parochialism.

I feel for McCartin, its almost an identical situation as Angus Brayshaw.

The top 3 of that draft have all had serious hurdles, with Petracca doing his ACL. Which strangely enough, is the less serious situation of the three and hes back playing and looking amazing. That was just about a career ending injury 30 years ago, now players can come back better than ever from an ACL,  Meanwhile concussions are treated much more serious these days, and repeated concussions are now career threatening (or career stalling at the least).

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

I feel for McCartin, its almost an identical situation as Angus Brayshaw.

The top 3 of that draft have all had serious hurdles, with Petracca doing his ACL. Which strangely enough, is the less serious situation of the three and hes back playing and looking amazing. That was just about a career ending injury 30 years ago, now players can come back better than ever from an ACL,  Meanwhile concussions are treated much more serious these days, and repeated concussions are now career threatening (or career stalling at the least).

So much positivity around the club, no-one wants to talk about poor old Gus. Too much of a downer.

15 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

McGovern 

• Like 6

On the subject of concussion, what is the purpose of the 'helmets' that a number of NRL players wear (a la Dunstall's)?

18 minutes ago, M_9 said:

On the subject of concussion, what is the purpose of the 'helmets' that a number of NRL players wear (a la Dunstall's)?

Probably cuts. It may help with headaches caused by impact vs no helmets. If you think about a skull with no helmet smashing against another skull with no helmet, it is plausible that a helmet could cushion the impact a little. It may help with lessening the chance of getting a cracking headache, but I am led to the believe the damage to the brain is similar either way.

• 1 year later...

So I guess the collective energy generated by the arrogance in this thread karmically propelled McCartin towards a dominant display against us, with Petracca down the other end looking a bit aimless and subsequently ineffective! I knew this one would come back to bite us. ? Time for Christian to step up and have a big impact, not that he's alone.

Edited by John Demonic
i dont actually believe in a karmic energy

30 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

So I guess the collective energy generated by the arrogance in this thread karmically propelled McCartin towards a dominant display against us, with Petracca down the other end looking a bit aimless and subsequently ineffective! I knew this one would come back to bite us. ? Time for Christian to step up and have a big impact, not that he's alone.

paddy looked quicker and fitter than both Gus and petracca today. these kids need a rocket up their asses and work harder.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Bump

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/season-may-be-over-for-saints-key-forward-20190430-p51igc.html

For mine, Petracca is and always will be a burst player... there are far too many expectations on him to jag 25+ posessions each week and jag 2/3 goals. 

Imagine the meltdown on here if we got McCartin!

There are busts, and then there are guys that go pretty well most of the time who aren't Jordan DeGoey.

• Like 1

Gee you have to feel for McCartin.  can't take a trick.

Don't think Trac will ever be a great player but he will hopefully get more consistent and be a good half fwd for us.

Gus will be have a great career

15 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Don't think Trac will ever be a great player but he will hopefully get more consistent

When... he loses weight,  he will become.and be much better thru the midfield...  As the game opens up more,  I think it moves closer to Tracca's game...   IF he loses weight,  and gets really fit...  Aerobically fit.

He can become a dominant player,  IF he puts in.

17 minutes ago, DV8 said:

When... he loses weight,  he will become.and be much better thru the midfield...  As the game opens up more,  I think it moves closer to Tracca's game...   IF he loses weight,  and gets really fit...  Aerobically fit.

He can become a dominant player,  IF he puts in.

Similar things were said of the late Colin Sylvia.

Trac has yet to prove himself to be a consistent contributor rather than a flash in the pan type player.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Similar things were said of the late Colin Sylvia.

Trac has yet to prove himself to be a consistent contributor rather than a flash in the pan type player.

Absolutely Mono.

He has the gifts,  anyone can see that,  he has the power,  he has skills,  but where is the drive,  to succeed.   Where is the want,  to be the Best he can be.

It should be showing in his body...  but,  all I see is someone with a rig,  for the girls to see.  to show off.

But its not an Elite Athletes body.   It's not an elite running body.

Tracca,  if your not serious about AFL footy...  For gods sake man... go and get into Weight Lifting,  or something around Olympic Sports.  Javelin?  Shotput?  Discuss?

The world is there for you.   IF you want it.

Edited by DV8

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

Absolutely Mono.

He has the gifts,  anyone can see that,  he has the power,  he has skills,  but where is the drive,  to succeed.   Where is the want,  to be the Best he can be.

does he have all the gifts? he is not quick, does not have a burst from packs, limited agility, poor kick for goal on the run and set shot. scored only 62 goals from 69 games while playing mostly fwd.  12 possession limited impact games such as anzac eve occur regularly

to me he looks like he should be a gun but hasn't shown it.  having said that he is just 23 so he could get better