• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The most overrated players in the AFL

bjgc

Nathan Buckley is the most overrated by a long way. Constantly turns the ball over, doesn't go in for a hard ball, doesn't break lines, doesn't kick goals only behinds unless he's playing on a first gamer. He does usually get his 30 possessions which garantees him 3 votes by the media even though it doesn't matter where they go, his Norm Smith medal proved that. I don't understand why they rave on about him so much plenty of players pick up high stats like West but people don't go on about him as much as they do about Buckley. It must be because he is in black and white colours.

Jonathan Brown plays a handfull of great games a year when he's not injured or suspended and he is continually referred to as the next Carey. Carey was brilliant in nearly every match he played even though Brown is a good player he will never be even half the player Carey was.

Justin Leppitsch hasn't played a decent game for 10 years and he still gets in Sheahan's top 50 every year. He had 1 decent year and Mike still goes on about how great he is, Leppitsch has had it just face it Mike.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I forgot about Hamill he maybe tough but a good game for him would be about 5 possessions. The media definately has an obsession with hard players.

Can't agree with that one. I Hate Aaron Hammill but he is a good player when he is injury free.

Back in 2000 when we played Carlton in that beautiful Qfinal For 3 quarters Hammil murdered us all over the ground-Late in the 3rd Q he ran head first into a Pack & knocked himself out. He didn't play the Last Q & we all know what happened.

Matthew Richardson is truly overrated. Plays 1-2 blinders a year. But is usually average. or is it his team??

No surprises to see Collingwood players mentioned. The profile of the club raises the profile of the players.

I have to say though, you're well off the mark with Hamill. When he's fit and firing, his value to the Saints is immeasurable. A fantastic player!

I think you are a bit wrong about Buckley. He is one of the best kicks in the entire competition and hits targets every time.

My top 5 overrated are:

1. Anthony Koutoufides(He was good....like 5 years ago)

2. James Clement(timid, soft and always hesitates)

3. Brad Miller(its an honest thread and if you cant handle it, bad luck. Cant kick goals, take contested marks or even find the ball, he averages about 10 possessions a game and for someone that is actually being considered as captain material is ridiculous. Drastically Over-rated.)

4. Josh Fraser(beanpole that can be broken like a twig)

5. Steven King(worst captain in the league, is always injured and when he makes his much anticipated return he never delivers)

Underrated

1. Steve Johnson(If not for injury, Geelong would have won the premiership, super talented forward/midfielder)

2. Scott Thompson(was always going to be awesome, i knew it all along, Melbourne didnt try hard enough to keep him, more $$$ would have done the trick)

3. Rhyce Shaw(Not as bad as people make him out to be, very quick and a penetrating kick)

4. Whelan(I rate him as our best backmen, he simply cannot be caught and is a great tackler)

5. Lance Franklin(If i was a hawks fan I would be giving hyping this guy up. In my opinion he has more talent than any young player inluding deledio. He kicked 20 goals in his first season)

It's a subjective thread because it depends how you rate players!!

I really tried to hate Buckley. I went to the footy one night with a Collingwood mate (yeh, I know) telling him Buckley never got the hard ball.

We counted 12 hard ball gets from Nathan that night. I really admire the guy. And contrary to popular opinion, I reckon he's a very very good captain.

Buckley has been one of the best players in the past decade. Agree he is also a very good captain.

Players like Kouta and Rocca have been injury prone and coming to the end of their career. At their prime they are match winners. The Press and the footy public realise this and do not overrate them.

Unsophisticated posters just dont understand the impact and presence a fit Hamill meant to Carlton in the past and St Kilda now.

A fierce competitor with a good football brain and team orientated.

Nathan Buckley is the most overrated by a long way. Constantly turns the ball over, doesn't go in for a hard ball, doesn't break lines, doesn't kick goals only behinds unless he's playing on a first gamer. He does usually get his 30 possessions which garantees him 3 votes by the media even though it doesn't matter where they go, his Norm Smith medal proved that. I don't understand why they rave on about him so much plenty of players pick up high stats like West but people don't go on about him as much as they do about Buckley. It must be because he is in black and white colours.

Jonathan Brown plays a handfull of great games a year when he's not injured or suspended and he is continually referred to as the next Carey. Carey was brilliant in nearly every match he played even though Brown is a good player he will never be even half the player Carey was.

Justin Leppitsch hasn't played a decent game for 10 years and he still gets in Sheahan's top 50 every year. He had 1 decent year and Mike still goes on about how great he is, Leppitsch has had it just face it Mike.

Big C

Your off the money on all 3.

Add Nathan Buckley, Jonothon Brown & Justin Leppitsch to our current list & you have a Premiership Team.

Have you watched much footy in the last 10 years? :blink:

'Fan' never got the hard ball. We counted 12 hard ball gets from Nathan that night. I really admire the guy. And contrary to popular opinion, I reckon he's a very very good captain.

yo man, I can completely remember the night you told me that story. I never thanked you for the beer mate. Cheers. You crazy fu....er

Buckley is good, very good, but not as great as the Collingwood hype machine has made him out to be. He will always be a level below the Hird's and Voss' that he is always compared with.

Overrated - Tarrant, Richardson, Stephen King definately. I would have said Primus but he's retired anyway. Have never thought Wanganeen was that great either.

It's funny, some of the names coming up you could make a fair arguement for being overrated. Clement is a good one. He's a very talented footballer, a well spoken guy, you'd love to have him in any team. As a footballer he is certainly not overrated. But the automatic AA selection (and the fact that he plays for Collingwood) brings his rating into question. It's the same for Buckley, if he played for anyone else (except maybe Port, equally as bad at pumping up their own) he wouldn't come into the equation as being overrated.

BRAD OTTENS! Geelong gave up Moloney AND a first round pick for this guy, and he's bloody useless! He hasn't had over 10 kicks in a game in 4 years.

The Ablett's are very overhyped, but that is to be expected. Gary Jnr is a gun.

From Melbourne I reckon Bruce is a bit overrated.

The Hawthorn AA selections says more about the teams than the players. We have no standout stars (i suggest Bruce would have been AA if not for injury the way he started, but that's guess work), whereas Hawthorn have a couple of stars and some very promising young kids, but bugger all inbetween.

Luke Power? Harsh call, I'd love to have Luke Power.

I often agree with you bjgc but not this time ...

I think Bucks is a superstar and the fact that he plays in B&W causes other teams supporters to downgrade him. If he played for MFC there would be unrivalled adoration on the pages about his virtues. He is right up there with Voss and Hird IMO.

If we could get any one player to MFC it would be J.Brown for me with Tredrea the other possible challenger mainly because he has had less injuries. Judd is a super player but I am old-fashioned and value a great CHF ahead of all other players.

Leppitsch was a very good player now crippled by injury. Triple premiership CHB, they don't grow on trees.

Hards, I think Bill Cosby could have chalked up 20+ touches a game in the Brisbane midfield with tags being put on the likes of Lappin, Voss, Black and Akermanis. I think he rode on their coattails for years and would love to see how he would have gone at a lesser club as was speculated a while ago.