The most overrated players in the AFL

bjgc

Overrated:

Cameron Ling

Dale Thomas

Nick Maxwell

Anthony Rocca (maybe not anymore, but has never been half the footballer his brother was)

Probably Cameron Bruce, judging by friends who are opposition supporters

Hamish McIntosh

Campbell Brown

Marc Murphy

Nick Stevens

Cameron Mooney

Luke Ball

Underrated:

Brendon Goddard (criticised because no 1 pick, but is a very good player)

David Hille, agree with many here

Rivers and Whelan, again, going by opposition supporters opinions

Kade Simpson

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you watched Nick Stevens' last 4 games againts MFC you would not think he is overrated. Gets touches in close and out wide and uses the ball beautifully. Only lacking in explosive pace, but so are 95% of the AFL.

Better than any of our midfielders by the length of the Flemington straight.

I guess it's just my hatred for the guy that's coming through.

Nope. You should stick with ur gut. OVERRATED.

Scott Pendlebury is the real star and will be twice as good. DT is flashy but has hardly put it all together.

He might when he gets older but his current output does not match his reputation.

Now that Lance Whitnall has retired, I need to find a new "most overrated" player for mine.

I think it will be Cameron Mooney.

My theory is that he is a Quinton Lynch type, that is, kicks goals in a successful team, but would struggle to have any sort of impact in a crap team.

How he got All-Australian last year kicking 55 goals with delivery from the best mid field in the comp astounded me. Anything less than 50 odd goals would have been a failure with the season the Cats had.

He gets publicity cos he plays with in great team and is a "character", and I'll admit he fills a role at Geelong, but as someone has already said, is just a so-so footballer.

Now that Lance Whitnall has retired, I need to find a new "most overrated" player for mine.

Interesting one. I agree that Mooney isn't a superstar, but I also don't hear people rate him as one, so I'd find it hard to label him 'most overrated'.

Who's your 'most overrated' from Essendon?

For the Dees, I'd say Bruce.

Interesting one. I agree that Mooney isn't a superstar, but I also don't hear people rate him as one, so I'd find it hard to label him 'most overrated'.

I'll take what you say about Mooney on board, and perhaps look else where.

Anyway, onto the Dons.

Our list isn't rated by many these days, so it's difficult.

Perhaps McPhee, although I still think he gets played out of position. No ones fault, with injuries to Lucas and Lloyd earlier in the season, and Gumbleton and Neagle at other times, he has been forced to play CHF, which he ain't. Was sensational back in 2004, but has never really reached those heights since, which is disappointing.

I don't think Slattery can play. Yes he is tough and gutsy and gives 100%, but the guy is no good. Don't think he gets rated a great deal, but I wouldn't have him on our list if it was up to me, yet he was signed for another two years a while back.

Some on this thread have mentioned Lloyd and Lucas. No way for me. Lloyd is about to move into 8th spot on the all-time AFL goalkicking list. Despite his negatives [sometimes playing for frees etc etc] the guy is a star. Lucas is vital to us. 2 time B&F winner, once as a forward, and once at CHB. When Lloyd was underperforming during the last couple of seasons, Lucas stepped up incredibly and was sensational.

Watch Cameron Ling play rather than listen to commentators. He occasionally limits his opponent to 10 touches at the least, and in the same game he handpasses backwards 20 or so times, at best he breaks even. A win for Ling reduces the battle to 17 vs. 17, a loss and Geelong are essentially down a player because he is useless offensively.

The best thing for Nick Stevens reputation was having a year off, everyone has forgotten the mediocrity he has dished up over the years. Even this year, he regularly gets 60ish% disposal efficiency, and his effective disposals aren't particularly damaging besides the odd goal.

Mooney is overrated by a couple of "experts" but that is about it. Gives a good honest contest in the air and at ground level. I know it's a while ago but he almost got the Cats over the line in that final against Sydney playing in the ruck.

At Essendon: agree on McPhee, though I'd put Bachar Houli up there as well. Average skills and a pea heart, can just run.

tbh I don't think Jobe Watson is a) overrated, or b) as [censored] as everyone says. His disposal isn't fantastic but it's not horrible either, and Essendon need someone to win clearances to feed it out to Davey, Lovett and the likes.

In the league I'd say Nick Stevens would be up there as the most overrated, with Scott Burns underrated

My theory is that he is a Quinton Lynch type, that is, kicks goals in a successful team, but would struggle to have any sort of impact in a crap team.

How he got All-Australian last year kicking 55 goals with delivery from the best mid field in the comp astounded me. Anything less than 50 odd goals would have been a failure with the season the Cats had.

He gets publicity cos he plays with in great team and is a "character", and I'll admit he fills a role at Geelong, but as someone has already said, is just a so-so footballer.

Spot on.

My top 10

Cameron Mooney

Brendan Fevola

Cameron Bruce

Michael O'Loughlin

Robert Murphy

Nathan G Brown

Nick Dal Santo

Nick Riewoldt

Jarrad Waite

Brad Johnson

Spot on.

My top 10

Brad Johnson

His rated very highly and quite rightly.

He was named All-Australian in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Has played over 300 games.

Won the Bulldogs Best & Fairest 3 times.

His also a club captain.

Underrated, yeah right!

To those who said Nathan Buckley was overated really have IMO made the assumption on the colour of his guernsey and the media hype he gets

I Would put him in the best 3 Magpie players of the last 50 years

The other 2 included Len Thompson and Peter Daicos

Spot on.

My top 10

Cameron Mooney

Brendan Fevola

Cameron Bruce

Michael O'Loughlin

Robert Murphy

Nathan G Brown

Nick Dal Santo

Nick Riewoldt

Jarrad Waite

Brad Johnson

Great post ANKLES :lol:!!!! :lol::lol:

Would love you to name the ten players who are the most underrated!!

Having your ego I am sure you will enlighten us.

Ps. Once a country member always a country member :lol::lol::lol::lol:

His rated very highly and quite rightly.

He was named All-Australian in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Has played over 300 games.

Won the Bulldogs Best & Fairest 3 times.

His also a club captain.

Underrated, yeah right!

For some reason Bulldog players continually get a free ticket into the AA team.

Not a bad effort for a team that has done jack [censored] not only over the last decade, but their entire history.

Underrated

1. Steve Johnson(If not for injury, Geelong would have won the premiership, super talented forward/midfielder)

2. Scott Thompson(was always going to be awesome, i knew it all along, Melbourne didnt try hard enough to keep him, more $$$ would have done the trick)

3. Rhyce Shaw(Not as bad as people make him out to be, very quick and a penetrating kick)

4. Whelan(I rate him as our best backmen, he simply cannot be caught and is a great tackler)

5. Lance Franklin(If i was a hawks fan I would be giving hyping this guy up. In my opinion he has more talent than any young player inluding deledio. He kicked 20 goals in his first season)

Credit where credits due, nice work.

Spot on.

My top 10

Cameron Mooney

Brendan Fevola

Cameron Bruce

Michael O'Loughlin

Robert Murphy

Nathan G Brown

Nick Dal Santo

Nick Riewoldt

Jarrad Waite

Brad Johnson

Mooney, Fevola, O'Loughlin, Dal Santo, Waite I agree with.

Murphy is borderline.

Brown's injury has ruined him, if it hadn't have happened he would be a much better player.

Riewoldt - similar story to Brown, but I wouldn't call him overrated.

Johnson is a star, and is most definitely not overrated.

And I just thought of one of the most underrated players in the AFL: Dane Swan.

Mooney, Fevola, O'Loughlin, Dal Santo, Waite I agree with.

Murphy is borderline.

Brown's injury has ruined him, if it hadn't have happened he would be a much better player.

Riewoldt - similar story to Brown, but I wouldn't call him overrated.

Johnson is a star, and is most definitely not overrated.

And I just thought of one of the most underrated players in the AFL: Dane Swan.

Agree Dane Swan.

Riewodt and Murphy are not over-rated, Murphy is right up there this year with the best, same with Johnson.