Casey Fields

Redleg

Casey's surface is ok. 500℅  improvement on years back. Still feels like you're on the moors for mine. Definitely needs more sheltered tiered seating required.

Not a favourite destination .

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Casey's surface is ok. 500℅  improvement on years back. Still feels like you're on the moors for mine. Definitely needs more sheltered tiered seating required.

Agree bb but how many grounds outside of the MCG and house of death are good?

I can think of 3-4.

1 hour ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Sorry, I don't know what is the problem?

The surface at Casey is simply first class.

The conditions for viewing...similar to the same as at Box Hill, Footscray, Princes park, Holden centre, Punt Road etc.  These are 2nd level locations for the 2nd level ( VFL) sides.

Environment....dependant upon what comes from the sky...there is no such thing as a rain belt outside mountainous areas.

What's worse?  Try North Ballarat in winter, or Williamstown on a windy day, or North Port after a storm. 

Having played and watched a lot of footy at Box Hill 'george', it's a lot better viewing ground than Casey. The Whitehorse Rd hill side makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rjay said:

Having played and watched a lot of footy at Box Hill 'george', it's a lot better viewing ground than Casey. The Whitehorse Rd hill side makes a huge difference.

Werribee has a little stand and better protection, PP and Punt Rd are much better.  Coburg is better with a much bigger hill.  Williamstown has a grand stand, Trevor Barker Oval has a stand and is a much smaller ground so much easier to see.  Windy Hill has grand stands and Ballarat has a social facility.  No ground is as exposed and all grounds have raised areas to give you a chance of seeing the game. 

Casey is the worst ground in the VFL for actually seeing the game which is what spectators go to do.  It might be ok for the few who get to stand where Drunkin does but for the rest it's just terrible.

As for playing conditions I'm not sure it's worse than a lot of the grounds but others are better.  Why the Casey boys haven't planted a few trees around the ground is just silly.  I'll go there because I like watching our team play but it's awful.  Thankfully the burgers are great!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

whatever.....at least plant a few wind break trees.....cost you next to nothing

Maybe they could make some banks around the goals and onto the outer side that would make for better viewing and enclose the ground a bit.

2 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Werribee has a little stand and better protection, PP and Punt Rd are much better.  Coburg is better with a much bigger hill.  Williamstown has a grand stand, Trevor Barker Oval has a stand and is a much smaller ground so much easier to see.  Windy Hill has grand stands and Ballarat has a social facility.  No ground is as exposed and all grounds have raised areas to give you a chance of seeing the game. 

Casey is the worst ground in the VFL for actually seeing the game which is what spectators go to do.  It might be ok for the few who get to stand where Drunkin does but for the rest it's just terrible.

As for playing conditions I'm not sure it's worse than a lot of the grounds but others are better.  Why the Casey boys haven't planted a few trees around the ground is just silly.  I'll go there because I like watching our team play but it's awful.  Thankfully the burgers are great!

Yeah you're not wrong. A large, properly built grandstand would do wonders for the ground. I wonder if because the addition of the AFLW games and JLT games there, if the City of Casey is looking into investing in one. I doubt it, but it would be pretty great to have as a windbreaker as well.

Edited by Drunkn167
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rjay said:

Maybe they could make some banks around the goals and onto the outer side that would make for better viewing and enclose the ground a bit.

Great point... the ground should be properly landscaped and trees planted as long term wind break and shade.

To  be honest many of our football grounds suck from the aesthetic viewpoint. I know it is a bit much to hope for the classic English village cricket ground but it could be done in a retro style that makes the place a destination in its own right.

The other thing is you have to build to a particular crowd number and type. For example I don't mind not having a seat if I can be encouraged to bring a fold up chair and sit on the lawn.

Finally... it's a long way out and in a destination that most supporters have never been to other than as a drive through. The Club needs to do a little more to sell it as a desirable place to go.

I am amazed that Collingwood has not tried to make its use of Vic Park more prominent. Wonderful history and great location.

Perhaps the reality is that the VFL teams and their grounds are just an expense and in truth (or is that an "alternative truth") the AFL clubs aren't interested in getting more supporters to attend at their subsidiary grounds. After all there is little or no revenue in it for AFL clubs.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
grammar

The wind is no worse than the impact it used have on a game when watching MFC Players playing for Sandy at TBO. At least it has a decent size car park unlike Sandy had at TBO. I would suggest the surface quality is usually one of the best for a VFL ground. The key issue is decent viewing points which due to lack of elevated seating and what appears to be a wide ground make it difficult for spectating. 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

9 hours ago, old dee said:

Except the RFC don't want to share and do not have to so where does that leaves your plan?

Also the MFC are trying to establish a following in the Casey region it is a little hard to do that playing games at Richmond.

Why develop/establish a following where most kids either dont care or play other sports!? Shocking decision !  So, ground is not available for senior team to train on pre season,yet makes grand progress to allow women's team to play!??

Bah.  End this madness, tear up agreement and seek to have stand alone team play somewhere else.! The girls can stay at this abomination of a ground!

11 hours ago, old dee said:

Except the RFC don't want to share and do not have to so where does that leaves your plan?

Also the MFC are trying to establish a following in the Casey region it is a little hard to do that playing games at Richmond.

When have Richmond stated this?

7 hours ago, picket fence said:

Why develop/establish a following where most kids either dont care or play other sports!? Shocking decision !  So, ground is not available for senior team to train on pre season,yet makes grand progress to allow women's team to play!??

Bah.  End this madness, tear up agreement and seek to have stand alone team play somewhere else.! The girls can stay at this abomination of a ground!

So the kids in the Berwick Pakenham growth corridor don't care about Aussie Rules? Weird statement. Probably the most fertile breeding ground for players in the country. Can think of at least three players from the area that play for Melbourne (Scully, Harmes, Stef Martin)!

Think before you post!

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, dee-tox said:

So the kids in the Berwick Pakenham growth corridor don't care about Aussie Rules? Weird statement. Probably the most fertile breeding ground for players in the country. Can think of at least three players from the area that play for Melbourne (Scully, Harmes, Stef Martin)!

Think before you post!

Spot on dee-tox unfortunately there are people who cannot see that the MFC cannot survive as a club centred only on  the MCG.

Hawthorn realised decades ago that they could not remain a " Hawthorn" only based team.

Thank God we have the likes of PJ running the club.

• Like 2

Casey City Council       The only Council  that is trying to take a 70 year old's land from him and build 4 Soccer fields, pavillion, and roads.

He has owned the property for decades and planted every tree and built a lake in the middle for wildlife, bird rookerys, but the Council want his land and will compulsary aquire it.    How can this be right?    I don't see any plans for ALF grounds by the way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bossdog said:

Casey City Council       The only Council  that is trying to take a 70 year old's land from him and build 4 Soccer fields, pavillion, and roads.

He has owned the property for decades and planted every tree and built a lake in the middle for wildlife, bird rookerys, but the Council want his land and will compulsary aquire it.    How can this be right?    I don't see any plans for ALF grounds by the way.

An act of Bastardry for sure. Casey...not known for being overly clever. Then again look at the council. Just saying ;)

No vested interests here....no no no !!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Think before you post!

Yep. Tory Dixon and Jimmy Magner as well, all in the same class/school as Stef Martin in Berwick. Can't remember if Alex Silvagni went to school with them as well at Berwick or just the senior years in Keysborough, but he graduated with them in the same year.

I live in Berwick and have posted before that the Casey alignment seems to be working. Melbourne had the second highest representation of supporters in my son's kinder when they did a little display in the window. Collingwood with 6 kids, MFC with 5.

One kid for Melbourne Victory. I lol'd.

Despite the conditions and lack of good places to watch at the ground itself, I think the Casey alignment overall has been a win.

• Like 2

Casey needs wind breaks...whether  fencing or trees or  Some more tiered seating...all D..all of the above..lol  Moving some earth to form some vantage points couldnt hurt..hills are great at grounds.  

Place needs work....and more parking

• Like 1

On 06/02/2017 at 4:22 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

Great point... the ground should be properly landscaped and trees planted as long term wind break and shade.

To  be honest many of our football grounds suck from the aesthetic viewpoint. I know it is a bit much to hope for the classic English village cricket ground but it could be done in a retro style that makes the place a destination in its own right.

The other thing is you have to build to a particular crowd number and type. For example I don't mind not having a seat if I can be encouraged to bring a fold up chair and sit on the lawn.

Finally... it's a long way out and in a destination that most supporters have never been to other than as a drive through. The Club needs to do a little more to sell it as a desirable place to go.

I am amazed that Collingwood has not tried to make its use of Vic Park more prominent. Wonderful history and great location.

Perhaps the reality is that the VFL teams and their grounds are just an expense and in truth (or is that an "alternative truth") the AFL clubs aren't interested in getting more supporters to attend at their subsidiary grounds. After all there is little or no revenue in it for AFL clubs.

Apparently Yarra Council said no to women's football at Vic Park. It's a council run community ground now and apparently the communities interest lie in walking their little excuses for dogs rather than 3 or 4 days of disruption. 

Given they play VFL their I'm surprised the Pies don't train there infrequently. Would be good just to mix it up a little and surely not even Yarra Council would say no to training.

As for Casey, as I said earlier in this thread I agree they have to work on some weather proofing and I agree about making it a destination.

For the game against Carlton which is a double header with the AFL JLT series game they should get close to 10,000. That day might even be sold out but I'd still be trying to add value for those who do go so they come back in future years.

I'd be looking at:

- Food trucks
- DJ or band between the games
- Jumping castles or even a slip n slide for the kids on the back oval
I'd even run a competition to let one lucky fan with a tour of the Demons change rooms and a dip in the ice baths if it's 30 degrees

Oh and FFS fix the parking! Acquire some land either out the back or side of the precinct and have a 2nd road out on game days.

21 hours ago, picket fence said:

Are you channelling Donald Trump picket?

Certainly sounds like it!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 1:40 PM, beelzebub said:

Needs a refurbishment! I suggest! 

1 New venue (lets move the joint on top of Gosh's Paddock!) Problems solved!