Jump to content

Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


OSCAR McDONALD


picket fence

Recommended Posts

For comparison. Weedwho can play and has made impact already, good football sense etc but like O Mac needs a bit of meat and a little more capacity for AFL.  We cry out for that other fwd.. Weed continues in the Magoo's. Now this observation isn't about the right or wrong of that only the opposite is occurring at the other end !

Makes no sense to me

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Do you know what Demonland is?

Gee don't get me started on an answer to that question Clint, I could fill pages, to paraphrase the psychiatrist in Fawlty Towers "there is a whole convention agenda here"

A basic premise is that it is a public forum, and as such is open to a poster/person who has a particular opinion repeating it ad infinitum in the hope it will eventually wear down fellow posters to such an extent that they will  agree with it. It is also a forum where other posters may have differing opinions and as long as they are able to lucidly express why they have that opinion, they should be able to express it, without opening themselves up to denigration or ridicule (take note the Stigga)

You think OMac shouldn't be in the team at present, fine, we know, and you have expressed why you think that, I, for one, don't agree, my reasoning, we need a replacement for Lynden Dunn, the sooner we get the experience into Oscar for one, the better, the FD seems to be of this opinion as well

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If that's the case, why aren't we playing Weideman and Hulett as well?

Exactly. Didn't see this before posting. Very valid point for mine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Now where have I heard that before?

You've heard it plenty of times before, but it doesn't make it any less true.

When you see figures like Melbourne's total list experience being 2268* games as opposed to Hawthorn's 3377* or North Melbourne's 3993*, or Melbourne's average age being 22.3 years and games played 30, do really think we can just get up there and match it with other teams? It's a process that will still take time.

Impatience leads to rash decisions and reliance on old structures and habits, not building a solid foundation, which is what the coaching staff are trying to do. 

The difference in the past has been the quality of the list. I bleieve the quality now exists and is a quantum leap over a few years ago, but the experience doesn't. I want to follow the Bulldogs and the Giants into the finals for sustained results, not have another false dawn, take shortcuts and end up like the Tigers.

We will pass teams like Hawthorn on the way up soon enough, but continual negativity about not winning and the mistakes made by young players, rather than positivity about making progress, doesn't help.

Maybe the 'veil of negativity' is yet to be really lifted.

* Total list experience at the start of 2016

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

When the Footy Dept consider them ready for exposure at AFL level then they will play, the FD think OMac is, get over it

OMac  had been making nowhere near the impression on games that Weed has. Hullett has a body for the big-time . Oscar  the opposite. 

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

OMACs had been making nowhere near the impression be on games that Weed has. Hullett has a body for the big-time . Oscar  the opposite. 

They are being ultra cautious with the Weed, which we should be grateful for long term, Hulett until he was drafted had played 2 competitive games of junior footy in 18 months, he is a work in progress, you can't win on this site, posters whinging and whining about development and now when we are getting it right, it is still wrong, OMac is going to be a  defender in the AFL, the only way to get experience playing on AFL standard forwards is in the AFL. 

Edited by Satyriconhome
bloody smartphone
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mauriesy said:

So our big problem is defence, but you want to give experience to two more forwards?

That implies one or the other. The very point is why not both then. 

If you decree pain for gain let Weed or Hullett try their hand at the Dawes role . Same did no ?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

So our big problem is defence, but you want to give experience to two more forwards?

Defence wasn't our short straw til wheels fell off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28 May 2016 at 3:20 PM, picket fence said:

He is without doubt a poor excuse for an AFL Player, Slow, lacks awareness in short Shithouse and his Brother is not far behind!!

But I also Blame the selection comittee to which also should share Blame, In What Universe do they think He is an AFL Footballer?

 

2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

They are being ultra cautious with the Weed, which we should be grateful for long term, Hulett until he had been drafted had played 2 competitive games of junior footy in 18 months, he is a work in progress, you can't win on this site, posters whinging and whining about development and now when we are getting it right, it is still wrong, OMac is going to be a  defender in the AFL, the only way to get experience playing on AFL standard forwards is in the AFL. 

Some common sense on here, thank god

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why more cautious with Weed than OMac The former has vastly  superior awareness and position sense.

Goose ... Gander 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

You've heard it plenty of times before, but it doesn't make it any less true.

When you see figures like Melbourne's total list experience being 2268* games as opposed to Hawthorn's 3377* or North Melbourne's 3993*, or Melbourne's average age being 22.3 years and games played 30, do really think we can just get up there and match it with other teams? It's a process that will still take time.

Impatience leads to rash decisions and reliance on old structures and habits, not building a solid foundation, which is what the coaching staff are trying to do. 

The difference in the past has been the quality of the list. I bleieve the quality now exists and is a quantum leap over a few years ago, but the experience doesn't. I want to follow the Bulldogs and the Giants into the finals for sustained results, not have another false dawn, take shortcuts and end up like the Tigers.

We will pass teams like Hawthorn on the way up soon enough, but continual negativity about not winning and the mistakes made by young players, rather than positivity about making progress, doesn't help.

Maybe the 'veil of negativity' is yet to be really lifted.

* Total list experience at the start of 2016

A cheap shot.

What I am seeing is another round of culling blokes with 100-200 games experience because they are 'not good enough for the future' and bringing in a raft of kids.

My personal view too is that these kids are the best batch we've had, but that's not the point.

We are sacrificing wins here and now, this season, in a season where we are trying to keep Hogan and Tom McDonald and entice across players like Prestia and Hurley.

If we put 10-11 wins on the board, we might have a chance of getting them.

But no A-grader in their right mind is going to fall for this continual development rubbish and be sold on the story that maybe, in a few years, we will have a finals team for them to play in.

When will we learn???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Clint Bizkit said:

Then let's be ultra cautious with Oscar McDonald as well.

The Weed has had a couple of games off already and he is only playing at Casey, so it is the FD being cautious with him, not me, he also needs to learn how to be the complete forward which you need to be these days, true he is a gifted footballer (I have seen him live) but he also needs to learn how to defend. Listen to Roos he has already stated that about 'young footballers'

Oscar is a defender, he needs experience playing against AFL standard forwards, you don't get that in the VFL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


19 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Gee don't get me started on an answer to that question Clint, I could fill pages, to paraphrase the psychiatrist in Fawlty Towers "there is a whole convention agenda here"

A basic premise is that it is a public forum, and as such is open to a poster/person who has a particular opinion repeating it ad infinitum in the hope it will eventually wear down fellow posters to such an extent that they will  agree with it. It is also a forum where other posters may have differing opinions and as long as they are able to lucidly express why they have that opinion, they should be able to express it, without opening themselves up to denigration or ridicule (take note the Stigga)

You think OMac shouldn't be in the team at present, fine, we know, and you have expressed why you think that, I, for one, don't agree, my reasoning, we need a replacement for Lynden Dunn, the sooner we get the experience into Oscar for one, the better, the FD seems to be of this opinion as well

This exasperated, world-weary, holier-than-thou tone is very wearing on the rest of us.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Satyriconhome said:

The Weed has had a couple of games off already and he is only playing at Casey, so it is the FD being cautious with him, not me, he also needs to learn how to be the complete forward which you need to be these days, true he is a gifted footballer (I have seen him live) but he also needs to learn how to defend. Listen to Roos he has already stated that about 'young footballers'

Oscar is a defender, he needs experience playing against AFL standard forwards, you don't get that in the VFL

Tripe.

To follow your argument through, you don't get experience playing as a forward against AFL standard defenders, either, so Weidemann should play AFL to learn, not VFL.

I disagree with the premise, anyway. No matter how out of of form Travis Cloke is, he's definitely an AFL standard forward players like O-Mac could be learning against. I'm sure there are others.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

This exasperated, world-weary, holier-than-thou tone is very wearing on the rest of us.

Don't read it then, doesn't bother me, just expressing an opinion, which is what you have just done, and I provided a solution which may be mutually beneficial to both of us, any input on the OMac debate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

There is another group here that believes getting some games into quality but inexperienced kids is better in the long term than playing experienced but average players in the short term.

It's got nothing to do with 'not wanting to win', or 'reverting to Mark Neeld or Dean Bailey', or 'mediocrity', or 'accepting losing'. It's got everything to do with building a solid playing group in the next few years, when our real chance for a premiership occurs (which let's face it won't be in 2016 or probably 2017). Like everyone, I'd like to play finals this year, but I still have my sights set on future ambitions. I don't want to be Richmond and become a shooting star, only to have it all crash down to earth because of delusions about progress and the state of the list.

Short-term pain for long-term gain.

I think Oscar has the ability to be a great player.  A better kick than Tom IMO, & seems to have better touch.

He needs to string a number of games together to get into a groove & show where he is at.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Satyriconhome said:

Don't read it then, doesn't bother me, just expressing an opinion, which is what you have just done, and I provided a solution which may be mutually beneficial to both of us, any input on the OMac debate?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Tripe.

To follow your argument through, you don't get experience playing as a forward against AFL standard defenders, either, so Weidemann should play AFL to learn, not VFL.

I disagree with the premise, anyway. No matter how out of of form Travis Cloke is, he's definitely an AFL standard forward players like O-Mac could be learning against. I'm sure there are others.

 

7 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

A cheap shot.

What I am seeing is another round of culling blokes with 100-200 games experience because they are 'not good enough for the future' and bringing in a raft of kids.

My personal view too is that these kids are the best batch we've had, but that's not the point.

We are sacrificing wins here and now, this season, in a season where we are trying to keep Hogan and Tom McDonald and entice across players like Prestia and Hurley.

If we put 10-11 wins on the board, we might have a chance of getting them.

But no A-grader in their right mind is going to fall for this continual development rubbish and be sold on the story that maybe, in a few years, we will have a finals team for them to play in.

When will we learn???

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Tripe.

To follow your argument through, you don't get experience playing as a forward against AFL standard defenders, either, so Weidemann should play AFL to learn, not VFL.

I disagree with the premise, anyway. No matter how out of of form Travis Cloke is, he's definitely an AFL standard forward players like O-Mac could be learning against. I'm sure there are others.

Led the debating society at college I see

Didn't read my post thoroughly though, I am looking forward to seeing the Weed play at AFL level, but also realise that as a young player he needs to learn the defensive traits that are a must these days, posters are bemoaning the lack of pressure in the oppositions 50 already, so if the Weed doesn't have these traits and gets a game, does he add to the perceived lack of pressure that is there at the moment?

OMac needs weekly exposure to AFL standard forwards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

You've heard it plenty of times before, but it doesn't make it any less true.

When you see figures like Melbourne's total list experience being 2268* games as opposed to Hawthorn's 3377* or North Melbourne's 3993*, or Melbourne's average age being 22.3 years and games played 30, do really think we can just get up there and match it with other teams? It's a process that will still take time.

Impatience leads to rash decisions and reliance on old structures and habits, not building a solid foundation, which is what the coaching staff are trying to do. 

The difference in the past has been the quality of the list. I bleieve the quality now exists and is a quantum leap over a few years ago, but the experience doesn't. I want to follow the Bulldogs and the Giants into the finals for sustained results, not have another false dawn, take shortcuts and end up like the Tigers.

We will pass teams like Hawthorn on the way up soon enough, but continual negativity about not winning and the mistakes made by young players, rather than positivity about making progress, doesn't help.

Maybe the 'veil of negativity' is yet to be really lifted.

* Total list experience at the start of 2016

You've posted more lately and with great distinction.  All power to you.  You've more energy than me. 

Sadly you won't get anywhere.  Haters just want to hate.

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    MAULED by Whispering Jack

    The writing was on the wall from the very first bounce of the football. The big men went up, Max Gawn more often than not, decisively won the ruck hit out and invariably a Brisbane Lions onballer either won the battle on the ground or halved the contest and they went at it repeatedly until they finally won out. Melbourne managed the first goal from Alex Neal-Bullen but after that the visitors shut out every area of Demon presence around the ground except in the ruck duels. It was a mauling.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 4

    PREGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    The Demons have a bye next week and have a 13 day break before they return to the MCG on ANZAC Eve to take on the Tigers. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 60

    PODCAST: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 15th April @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Lions in the Round 05. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIV

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 10

    VOTES: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    Last week Christian Petracca retook the outright lead in the Demonland Player of the Year Award from Max Gawn, Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney. Your votes for the loss against the Lions. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 34

    POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The Demons 4 game winning streak has come to an end after a disappointing loss against the Brisbane Lions at the MCG going down by 22 points. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    GAMEDAY: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    It's Game Day & Demons have a great opportunity to win their fifth game on the trot and go into the bye with 5 wins and one loss when they take on the Brisbane Lions at the MCG on the Thursday night big stage.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 833

    TRAINING: Wednesday 10th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Demon Dynasty were once again on hand at this morning's Captain's Run at Gosch's Paddock to bring you their observations from training. KEV MARTIN'S CAPTAIN'S RUN OBSERVATIONS No-one in rehab this morning, a Captain's run, 26 players. Laurie, Tomlinson, Tholstrup, Chandler, Woey, and Kossie are out there. Rehabbers are out now. Marty, McAdam, Melky, Bowey, Sestan. As a guess for in and outs, I would say, out Laurie, Tomlinson, and W

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND: Good evening, Demon fans and welcome to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast … It’s been a beautiful last day of September and how sweet it is to bring you our coverage of all things that matter about the great Demon resurgence which we’ve seen over the past six or seven months. How our team overcame a turbulent off season and a disappointing start to 2024 on a humid night in Sydney, turned our detractors into believers and then ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 3

    TRAINING: Sunday 7th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin ventured down in the rain to Gosch's Paddock for the Demon Family Series April School Holiday Open Training session. Not such a good morning, weather wise. As I arrived, it starting raining, settled into watching some Victory players have a kick around. The MFC squad come out as the rain abated, they had wide smiles as the walked down the roped corridor. Plenty of joy from the supporters towards them, kids everywhere, maybe about 500 to a 1000 of us.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 1
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

  • Podcast 

  • Podcast 

  • Podcast Stream 


    Open Stream in
    New Window
        TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • Support Demonland  



  • 2021 Premiership  

  • Social Media 

  • Non MFC Games  

    NON-MFC: Round 05

    Discussion of all the other games that don't involve the Demons in Round 05 ... READ MORE

    Demonland | Round 05

  • Match Report      

    MAULED by Whispering Jack

    The writing was on the wall from the very first bounce of the football. The big men went up, Max Gawn more often than not, decisively won the ruck hit out and invariably a Brisbane Lions onballer either won the battle on the ground or halved the contest and they went at it repeatedly until they finally won out ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 12

  • Post Game      

    POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The Demons 4 game winning streak has come to an end after a disappointing loss against the Brisbane Lions at the MCG going down by 22 points ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 11

  • Votes      

    VOTES: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    Last week Christian Petracca retook the outright lead in the Demonland Player of the Year Award from Max Gawn, Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney. Your votes for the loss against the Lions. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 11

  • PreGame      

    PREGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

    The Demons have a bye next week and have a 13 day break before they return to the MCG on ANZAC Eve to take on the Tigers. Who comes in and who goes out? ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 11

  • Game Day      

    GAMEDAY: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    It's Game Day & the Demons have a great opportunity to win their fifth game on the trot and go into the bye with 5 wins and one loss when they take on the Brisbane Lions at the MCG on the Thursday night big stage ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 11

  • Training  

    Wednesday, 10th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Demon Dynasty were once again on hand at this morning's Captain's Run at Gosch's Paddock to bring you their observations from training ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 10

  • Match Preview      

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Good evening, Demon fans and welcome to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast … It’s been a beautiful last day of September and how sweet it is to bring you our coverage of all things that matter about the great Demon resurgence which we’ve seen over the past six or seven months ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 09

  • Latest Podcast      

    PODCAST: Rd 04 vs Adelaide

    The boys analysed win number 2 from 2 in Adelaide against the Crows praising the games of Petracca and McVee, the bravery of May and the emergence of our young guns ... LISTEN

    Demonland | April 09

  • Training  

    Sunday, 7th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin ventured down in the rain to Gosch's Paddock for the Demon Family Series April School Holiday Open Training session ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 07

  • Training  

    Monday, 1st April 2024

    Our man on the spot Bendigo Demon traveled to Adelaide for our back to back games in the City of Churches and brings you his observations from the Demon's training session at Hisense Stadium ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 01

  • Casey Report      

    FIELD OF DREAMS by KC from Casey

    The sunny skies and still, clear conditions that greeted fans on their arrival created a dreamlike Easter carnival atmosphere for Casey’s game against Footscray at Casey Fields ... READ MORE

    Demonland | March 31

  • Training  

    Monday, 25th March 2024

    Demonland Trackwatchers Demon Dynasty & Kev Martin were trackside at Gosch's Paddock today to bring you their observations from training ... READ MORE

    Demonland | March 25

  • Latest Podcast  

    PODCAST: Koltyn Tholstrup Interview

    I interview the Melbourne Football Club’s newest recruit Koltyn Tholstrup to have a chat about his journey from the farm to the Demons, his first few weeks of preseason training, which Dees have impressed him on the track and his aspirations of playing Round 1 ... LISTEN

    Demonland | December 14

  • Latest Podcast  

    PODCAST: Jason Taylor Interview

    I interview the Melbourne Football Club's National Recruitment Manager Jason Taylor to have a chat about our Trade and Draft period, our newest recruits, our recent recruits who have yet to debut as well as those father son prospects on the horizon ... LISTEN

    Demonland | November 27

  • Next Match 

    .

    Round 07

       vs   

    Wednesday 24th April 2024
    @ 07:25pm (MCG)

  • MFC Forum  

  • Match Previews & Reports  

  • Training Forum  

  • AFLW Forum  

  • 2024 Player Sponsorship

  • Topics

  • Injury List  


      PLAYER INJURY LENGTH
    Daniel Turner Hip Available
    Shane McAdam Hamstring 2-3 Weeks
    Marty Hore Thumb 2-3 Weeks
    Charlie Spargo Achilles 4 Weeks
    Jake Bowey Shoulder 5-6 Weeks
    Jake Melksham ACL 10-12 Weeks
    Joel Smith Suspension TBA

  • Player of the Year  


        PLAYER VOTES
    1 Christian Petracca 55
    2 Max Gawn 49
    3 Steven May 34
    4 Alex Neal-Bullen 27
    5 Jack Viney 24
    6 Clayton Oliver 22
    7 Bayley Fritsch 19
    8 Judd McVee 15
    9 Christian Salem 12
    10 Blake Howes 11

        FULL TABLE
  • Demonland Interviews 



  • Upcoming Events 

×
×
  • Create New...