FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

5 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

You have to love this time of year when the one thing that you can affirm is the fact that telling lies is the second language of the AFL.

Take the conversation here about whether or not Sam Mitchell is being pushed out of the Hawthorn team. There seem to be two opposite views and then you listen to the interviews and almost come to the conclusion that Sam was not only happy to go but that he was the instigator of the decision. 

Then this tweet from NAB Trade Radio quoting his manager Peter Lenton:-

"I think Sam himself was a bit blindsided by it, but understood it as well."

?

You may never type truer words than those WJ

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Haha selective quoting again...

What about this:

Peter Lenton, Mitchell's manager, says there was "no pushing or shoving" from Clarko...but admits Sam was "blindsided" by the proposition.

Look we get the point. Time to agree to disagree. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Interesting... Because Mitchell's own thoughts were the opposite of your original post and every supporter that gave feedback to SEN after the interview was positive about it.

Also, interesting when you read the actual feedback the article is talking about, hardly scathing to say the least...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-12/mitchell-to-eagles-fans-shocked-by-trade-bombshell

Stu I think we can summarize this as follows:

Clarko suggested it.

Mitchell after discussions with his wife has accepted it.

Some fans and past players are upset and others aren't.

Lastly, if it was Melbourne and given the same circumstances and reaction of the player and looking at who we would gain, I would vote a big YES. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Stu I think we can summarize this as follows:

Clarko suggested it.

Mitchell after discussions with his wife has accepted it.

Some fans and past players are upset and others aren't.

Lastly, if it was Melbourne and given the same circumstances and reaction of the player and looking at who we would gain, I would vote a big YES. 

6 hours ago, Redleg said:

The guy is 33, has just won his 5th B & F and they ask him to give up being a one club player and help them out by playing with WC for a year or 2.

Clearly they won't get much for him from WC, other than salary cap space.

I think this is the sort of thing that will spread the cracks in Hawthorn's culture.

It's a terrible thing to do to Mitchell and deprives him of being a one club player and playing more games for his club, not to mention uprooting the family.

Have you listened to the interview yet mate?

Mitchell sounded pretty darn happy for a bloke who has had a "terrible thing" done to him that he had to "accept".

It's a win for everyone, don't you agree?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Haha selective quoting again...

What about this:

Peter Lenton, Mitchell's manager, says there was "no pushing or shoving" from Clarko...but admits Sam was "blindsided" by the proposition.

That in itself sounds somewhat contradictory.

Obviously none of us are aware of the full background but I've been in a position where I have done a lot of the hiring and firing in my business and it seems to me that Hawthorn have been fairly creative in its dealing with Mitchell over this and he may well be happy to go to West Coast. The Hawks might also feel comfortable with the way they've engineered the situation as background to their wider aim of boosting their list with players of quality such as O'Meara and Tom Mitchell (and you can throw Vickery into that as well).

From my perspective however, it could possibly backfire in the cold, hard light of day when the playing group looks at a former skipper, a club icon and a popular player that everyone looks up to has gone and the realise that he left in circumstances that are very much up in the air: that it was all spin and they could be next. The happy club is at risk - the good thing is that Clarkson is a good operator and a good coach but he would want the incoming players to perform and for the wins to keep coming.

• Like 3

ffs you drop in hoping to read about trades and all you get is the same petty bickering from the same culprit/s.

Give it a goddamn rest.

Anyone have any trade whispers?

Please?

Anyone? 

• Like 24

2 minutes ago, ding said:

ffs you drop in hoping to read about trades and all you get is the same petty bickering from the same culprit/s.

Give it a goddamn rest.

Please?

Anyone? 

+1

Just now, Whispering_Jack said:

That in itself sounds somewhat contradictory.

Obviously none of us are aware of the full background but I've been in a position where I have done a lot of the hiring and firing in my business and it seems to me that Hawthorn have been fairly creative in its dealing with Mitchell over this and he may well be happy to go to West Coast. The Hawks might also feel comfortable with the way they've engineered the situation as background to their wider aim of boosting their list with players of quality such as O'Meara and Tom Mitchell (and you can throw Vickery into that as well).

From my perspective however, it could possibly backfire in the cold, hard light of day when the playing group looks at a former skipper, a club icon and a popular player that everyone looks up to has gone and the realise that he left in circumstances that are very much up in the air: that it was all spin and they could be next. The happy club is at risk - the good thing is that Clarkson is a good operator and a good coach but he would want the incoming players to perform and for the wins to keep coming.

It's probably a little different from firing, Mitchell sounded genuinely excited and happy about the idea on SEN, Ox even commented on it and asked him. Any trade could backfire, as could any draft pick, new coach etc, all you can do is try and make calculated decisions, and this definitely seems like one, and all 3 parties involved seem happy.

As far as a fan perspective goes, you would think the smart ones would understand this move and the foresight with which it was made and would likely have no ill feelings for player or club, a bit like Dangerfield leaving Adelaide, and then the not so smart fans will be won over by the continued success of Tom Mitchell and O'Meara for years after Sam Mitchell has retired.

Really does seem like a sensible thing all round, and maybe I'm won over more by the whole thing after hearing Sam this morning, but people here are trying to indicate how he feels without having heard him speak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ding said:

Give it a goddamn rest.

Please?

Anyone? 

Kersten to the Dockers.

There you go champ.

For the serial complainers. here's some (mostly uninteresting news)...

Premiership Bulldog Joel Hamling will likely decide by Friday if he will seek a trade to Fremantle 

Chris Mayne will become a Collingwood player once the final details of his contract are ticked off in the next two days 

Jarrod Pickett is attempting to move to Carlton with a deal still being worked out between the clubs

Reece Conca has been offered a two-year contract extension with Richmond, which he is working through

Anthony Morabito remains hopeful he'll be given a chance, potentially as a rookie, later in the exchange period 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

According to the purple one both Aish and Greenwood have been put on the trade table.

well not on the table as in any club can get them, but they're open to moving them on for a specific deal they're looking at. 

makes you wonder who they're after to need to those guys on the table

59 minutes ago, stuie said:

According to the purple one both Aish and Greenwood have been put on the trade table.

If true, then my god this club has issues. They spent the farm to get Aish across from the Lions. Why trade him after one year? Especially considering Aish has done very little to increase his value over the last 12 months.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

Carlton would be grinning at that. Especially at the age bracket.

He just recently re-signed so I hope they don't go for it. They don't have to. Gibbs will find his way there somehow.

1 minute ago, Abe said:

well not on the table as in any club can get them, but they're open to moving them on for a specific deal they're looking at. 

makes you wonder who they're after to need to those guys on the table

They're chasing Hoskin-Elliot pretty hard aren't they?