HF: Jeff Garlett, Jack Watts, Aaron vandenBerg

F: James Harmes, Jesse Hogan, Dean Kent

Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney

I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch, Cameron Pedersen

Emg: Chris Dawes, Colin Garland, Alex Neal-Bullen

In: Hogan

Out: Sam Weideman (quadriceps)

• Like 1

Disappointing to see Weid out as it would've been for him to have a few games in a row to see what it takes at AFL level. Pretty decent replacement comes back in though...

On 8/10/2016 at 7:59 AM, hells bells said:

IF

We beat Port - 50:50

Hawks beat North - likely

Swans beat Saints - likely

We are the only team with a chance of taking North's position in the 8.

i believe North's percentage will take a hammering against Adelaide and GWS.

i believe it will come down to the our last game v Geelong.  

We are currently paying $101 to make the 8.  I may have had a little go at it.

Go Dees.

Ok so i looked it up at the TAB today, and yes we are currently 2501/1 for the flag. :)

30 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

Melbourne team: round 21

B: Sam Frost, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta

HB: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Tomas Bugg

C: Christian Petracca, Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson

HF: Jeff Garlett, Jack Watts, Aaron vandenBerg

F: James Harmes, Jesse Hogan, Dean Kent

Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney

I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch, Cameron Pedersen

Emg: Chris Dawes, Colin Garland, Alex Neal-Bullen

In: Hogan

Out: Sam Weideman (quadriceps)

A bench of Brayshaw, Oliver, Stretch and Pedersen, indicates we've almost got our best team in and will have no excuses come Saturday. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rossmillan said:

Surely the Weeds corky isn't that bad and this is a managed way of dropping him for Hogan, whilst saving him from being "dropped", since he can't run out a full game at AFL level.  Whilst we are an outside chance, we must play the best fittest side available until the 8 is no longer possible.

Will be going to this one and look forward to seeing big Maxy dominate this game!!!

I think the fact he couldn't run out the game was based on the speed difference between AFL and VFL.  That aside the corky wouldn't have helped.   

He is has lot of injuries prior to getting drafted and they have shown they will be ultra conservative.  

I think he comes straight in again next week.    

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 2

Looks about our best line up for the year.

Unfortunate that Weideman got done by an illegal Rioli tackle, but it may have saved the selectors a big dilemma re who to drop for Hogan.  Hopefully, depending of course on the form of Pedersen in particular, he may get another couple of games this year.

As an aside I see that Roos still loves Dawes though: not the first time that he has been dropped, not played then be recalled (this time as an emergency) without playing in the 2s.    I wonder if Goodwin and the list managers have the same obsession as Roos does about a man who can't mark, can't ruck and can't keep fit enough to play?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

For mine, this shows how much improvement is left in this group once they've played a bit more footy.

Mine too. Particularly as that corky happened in the third and he was still limping around after the game, but it didn't stop him getting involved in the latter half of the second half.

Roos said it happened in the first marking contest where he kicked the goal.

• Like 1

After such a good win, God I hope we don't have a flat game. 

Hope the boys realise that they need to "bring it" every game and not pic and choose. 

To me if we turn up this will show continued improvement  that is required to be a top team  

Heres hoping. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 2

Ox

If our guys apply the pressure, and run like they did from the word go v Hawks, they should have a good win

This will be a test of mental strength and application as much as anything else

GO DEES

• Like 1

There have been a lot of 'convenient' injuries this year for the selectors  - with players slipping in form or needing to be unfairly squeezed out.

Indeed, I can't think of many that were considered a big loss on here at the time. Garlett. Viney. ?

5 minutes ago, Skuit said:

There have been a lot of 'convenient' injuries this year for the selectors  - with players slipping in form or needing to be unfairly squeezed out.

Indeed, I can't think of many that were considered a big loss on here at the time. Garlett. Viney. ?

What's convenient about the timing of Weed's injury?  They could have just dropped him if they thought he wasn't up to scratch. I reckon it's actually pretty inconvenient - he looked good and I was excited about getting a second peek.

I doubt our selectors are afraid of making a tough call or two.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Ox

If our guys apply the pressure, and run like they did from the word go v Hawks, they should have a good win

This will be a test of mental strength and application as much as anything else

GO DEES

Exactly and it's something we haven't done in a long time consistently. 

Really hope this is the start and not another false start so to speak. 

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

As an aside I see that Roos still loves Dawes though: not the first time that he has been dropped, not played then be recalled (this time as an emergency) without playing in the 2s.    I wonder if Goodwin and the list managers have the same obsession as Roos does about a man who can't mark, can't ruck and can't keep fit enough to play?

You do realise that Dawes wasn't dropped don't you? Roos publicly stated that he was rested as he didn't come up after 6 day breaks.

I suspect, given the way his body is struggling, that he may retire at season end, especially given when asked about Dawes future recently, Roos went out of his way to be non-committal. In a side with only 5 players over 25, surely you can understand why had been regularly picked despite his fundamental flaws?

• Like 2

Well its vital we back up this win. If we lose it will just be deflating especially after last weeks great win. We have had a bit of media attention this week and to be a good team we have to back up with these wins. An interstate win would also be great. 

Shame Sam is missing. Would love to see Hogan and him in the forward line. 

3 hours ago, Copuchas said:

I think you'll find the net points for / points against difference between us and Norf currently is 138 points ie 3 x 23 average winning margin for the Dees and 3 x 23 average losing margin for Norf would see a dead heat (how is that resolved I wonder?).  Challenging for sure but not beyond the realm by any stretch, particularly a Norf without Ben Brown.

If I recall correctly back in 2011 we drew with the Swans in Round 1. 

As a result both teams obviously had the same points and percentage. (2 and 100%)

The ladder at the end of Round 1 that year had Melbourne 8th and Sydney 9th.

Ladder positions were determined alphabetically. 

Should we conclude this season on the same number of wins and percentage as North it would be an awesome twist to knock them out of the finals ALPHABETICALLY. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Nasher said:

What's convenient about the timing of Weed's injury?  They could have just dropped him if they thought he wasn't up to scratch. I reckon it's actually pretty inconvenient - he looked good and I was excited about getting a second peek.

I doubt our selectors are afraid of making a tough call or two.

I was looking forward to seeing Weiderman in the team with Hogan too. But his absence probably doesn't impact our chances of winning, and with one of Weid or Pederson coming up injured the selectors have been saved from Picket's exclamation points. 

I think the selectors are capable of making tough calls, but would also find it difficult for example to oust players who might not fit the long-term plan but were otherwise playing their role, while also maintaining an ethos of players earning their spot. See the lack of changes for the last Port game, despite it being flagged in the lead-up.

Edited by Skuit

12 minutes ago, Robot Devil said:

If I recall correctly back in 2011 we drew with the Swans in Round 1. 

As a result both teams obviously had the same points and percentage. (2 and 100%)

The ladder at the end of Round 1 that year had Melbourne 8th and Sydney 9th.

Ladder positions were determined alphabetically. 

Should we conclude this season on the same number of wins and percentage as North it would be an awesome twist to knock them out of the finals ALPHABETICALLY. 

I am sure that the AFL, in their infinite wisdom and with their infinite foresight and judgement, would dream up some sort of solution on the run.

36 minutes ago, deanox said:

You do realise that Dawes wasn't dropped don't you? Roos publicly stated that he was rested as he didn't come up after 6 day breaks.

I suspect, given the way his body is struggling, that he may retire at season end, especially given when asked about Dawes future recently, Roos went out of his way to be non-committal. In a side with only 5 players over 25, surely you can understand why had been regularly picked despite his fundamental flaws?

If he can't get up after 6 day breaks his future must be bleak to say the least.

3 minutes ago, Robot Devil said:

They could revert to a "count back" like the old days of the Brownlow. 

However they would do it, they should have a definite plan, and announce it before the event, unlikely as it may be.  But they don't and they won't.

3 hours ago, Copuchas said:

I think you'll find the net points for / points against difference between us and Norf currently is 138 points ie 3 x 23 average winning margin for the Dees and 3 x 23 average losing margin for Norf would see a dead heat (how is that resolved I wonder?).  Challenging for sure but not beyond the realm by any stretch, particularly a Norf without Ben Brown.

I think you'll find out that's not quite how percentage works. Just like in the extreme example 2-1 is 200% and 101-100 is 101% despite the difference being 1 in both cases 

• Like 3