POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 8

Gorgoroth

Effort there but we were too fumbly and they capitalised time and again. They  trust their inside mids to win the contest and kept outriders that they just flick it out to. Gawn had a big bandage on his right hand that likely was the reason for his poor aerial display. We are a team that won't look great when our bottom 6 are poor and they were poor today. I did not have too much issue with our defensive set up it was more turn over based rather than poor match ups. 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 1

Most frustrating game this year! Jetta hold your head up because you are our number 1 defender.

Jack Viney with 16 tackles, Michie played his role, Watts fought out the game well after a slow start, Stretch with 25 disposals was one of our best today along with Jetta, Tyson was also brilliant today.

Now for the Negatives.. Leaders went to [censored] today.. Gawn Jones Garland Vince did not stand up today..Umpiring was horrific! the amount of throws and ducking that was paid was disgraceful.

Whos bloody idea was to give Garland a 3 year deal!!? poor management there. I dont want him in the side.. ever! Bring in Dunn or Frost.

• Like 7

Tyson was great today, hes having a pretty steady season so far.

Garland was woeful today, needs to try and reinvent himself maybe as a forward if he wants to last his 3 year deal

• Like 1

Really disappointed today, the boys needed to be on early and make a statement.  Big Maxy was off and we needed him to dominate, whilst we lost we are definitely on the improve because the effort was there, where as a couple of years ago we would have copped a 10 goal loss.  Viney just oozes leadership and I love the way Jetta goes about it.  Tyson finding a bit of form and as part of our development we really need to start putting 2 or 3 solid performances together.

Big play needed for Hurley IMO which along with resigning of Tmac will set us up well down the spine.  Bernie will cop a week and it is just dumb, whilst Pedersen will also face a holiday, not sure about Jetta should be okay but you never know

14 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The better team won, here are my observations:

• Hogan's kicking is bordering on embarrassing, Schwarz was on the money
  • Everyone could see that the Bulldogs tall forwards would give us trouble yet we persist with an undersized Garland while Frost plays for Casey
  • Just like the St Kilda game our zone defence was found wanting, if in doubt we need to go man-on-man
  • Viney is a star
  • Jetta is a gun, fingers crossed he isn't suspended
  • Pedersen was terrible, will probably be suspended, hopefully the coaches don't then decide to replace him with Frost up forward
  • We were fumbling the ball all day and overused it way too much
  • Watts improved but it was too little too late, goes missing when he game is on the line
  • The Bulldogs duck better than anyone but we were still too dumb to pick up on this and adjust how and when we tackled
  • We can't expect Gawn to dominate every week

Firstly, Hogan had a bad day. That's it.

Second, that zone is the reason we've been able to move the ball better, we need to continue to improve our ability to implement it, not throw the baby out with the bath water. 

• Like 2

I think it's just about time to put a line through Garland. Perhaps it's partly the coaches fault for assigning him to guys that are 10cm+ taller than him but at the moment he is uncompetitive defensively and offers nothing offensively either (9 possessions). At least TMac wins the footy. Dunn can come back, or they can try Frost in the position he was recruited for, or blood Omac. But Garland's gotta go.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chook said:

I think the worst thing to take out of this is that the Bulldogs are better coached than we are. They always get to the right positions. Surely our coaching staff is being payed enough to be able to tell our players where to stand.

Doesn't matter where you stand if the guy with ball fumbles or kicks or handballs away from you. 

This was very similar to the Saibts game. Guys run forward with belief in their guys to get possession and then deliver properly.   

Shocking umpiring again didn't help but they served to win clearly. 

• Like 1

From a rules "interpretation" point of view, what today has taught me is that it's okay to throw the ball if you've been in possession for less than half a second. This is something we really need to start taking advantage of.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Most frustrating gameefirstnthis year! JettaIhold your head up  because you are our number 1 defender.

Jack Viney with 16 tackles, Michie plSLEEP & MOOD

SWISSE ULTIBOOST MOODSwisse Ultiboost Mood is a premium quality formula to help relieve restlessness, nervousness and support healthy mood balance.

ayed his role, Watts fought out the game well after a slow start, Stretch with 25 disposals was one of our best today along with Jetta, Tyson was also brilliant today.

Now for the Negatives.. Leaders went to [censored] today.. Gawn Jones Garland Vince did not stand up today..Umpiring was horrific! the amount of throws and ducking that was paid was disgraceful.

Whos bloody idea was to give Garland a 3 year deal!!? poor management there. I dont want him in the side.. ever! Bring in Dunn or Frost.

AGREED. Watts finished well but was pretty much missing IN the first half.

Pretty sure Garland IS not a part of us playing finals

Hope O mac can step up

So need someone else to help out gawn and be a target around the ground........iT ISnt pedo

Actually thought we were quite good. Ultimately they were too slick around the stoppages and were much better going forward. Our zone needs major work but we kept at it and never folded.

They are a very good side who touched up a mid-table side. Simple as that.

• Like 5

Let's start with the positives.

Positives:

- comprehensively beaten to the ball all day, couldn't have played any worse and yet we only lost by 5 goals. 

- Dom Tyson's form is very good.

- Viney continues to the very end.

- Jetta is a star and wins his contest and wins others consistently. He's the small defender's equivalent of Rance. He's A grade now.

Negatives:

- poor ball use, fumbling, falling over, general in eptness.

- a horrid lack of work rate from our midfielders. Very little two way running. I suspect the contest in close took it out of them, but that's no excuse for experienced bodies and leaders like Jonesy.

- I'm at humble pie eating stage with Kent. We really missed him today. Kennedy gave up three goals at half forward by turning the ball over. He brought a little bit of pressure, but outside of his two goals didn't impact enough.

- Gawn's game. To three quarter time he had 4 touches and 0 tackles. He finished with 6 touches and 1 tackle. Urgh. Horrible, horrible game.

- our stoppage set ups today. It was so predictable how they'd neutralise Gawn. One ruckman jostles and blocks, while one of the midfielders would go third man up. Was it Akum that said this is exactly what would happen? Spot on.

- I'd be dropping Garland for OMac too. Michie didn't do enough for mine either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

How do people reckon Salem went? He's not coming on like I was hoping he would. 

Should be in the middle or forward. Unfortunately we need some refined kicks out of halfback because we're desperate.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

How do people reckon Salem went? He's not coming on like I was hoping he would. 

now this is just a question

by the tone of yours you suggest  he ought be  doing what exactly ?

2 minutes ago, praha said:

Should be in the middle or forward. Unfortunately we need some refined kicks out of halfback because we're desperate.

Really! Maybe I'm feeling annoyed but I thought he was very meh today

Took too long for Gawn to work out they were just jumping into him in the ruck. Last quarter he hardly bothered jumping and was more effective I thought. He'll be better for the game.

Garland isn't up to it anymore. I love him but enough's enough. He could have made a good wingman years back but was stopped by injury and now having to play as a key defender. Not his go.

Hogan needs to sort out his run up. It's all for the cameras and he really has to be above that. He's a nice kick, so ditch the theatrics and kick the bastard.

ANB should have come in instead of Salem. Salem needed to be shown he has to earn it, whilst ANB would've given us another rotation/option through the guts, but also has the legs to go all day, and get forward and kick a goal. Salem wasn't bad, but for his development he had to earn his spot back.

Now for the reason we lost the game. Skills, skills, skills. Demonland has been moaning about the lack of skills for the last 5 years and nothing appears to have changed. In the meantime the dogs appear to be able to dispose of the ball cleanly - without even taking possession. We can't match that. For all the training watchers out there, how often do our lads have a pill in their hands at training? Why does it appear to be a foreign object at times? Oliver is the exception, he's comfortable with it, but even he was down and fumbly today.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

now this is just a question

by the tone of yours you suggest  he ought be  doing what exactly ?

I didn't think he imposed himself on the contest enough Beelzebub.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WAClark said:

Firstly, Hogan had a bad day. That's it.

Second, that zone is the reason we've been able to move the ball better, we need to continue to improve our ability to implement it, not throw the baby out with the bath water. 

Hogan has a poor kicking action and whilst he can kick it well, over time the law of averages suggests his accuracy will be lower than it should be because of this.

The fact he struggles to kick from greater than about 40 metres out too is a concern.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1

I agree with what a lot of others have said - the effort was there we were just to fumbly around the contest. Although, the Dogs are (probably) a top 4 team and I thought they played pretty [censored] well today, so to stay in touch with a team like that when there playing well should at least gives us some positives out of today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

I didn't think he imposed himself on the contest enough Beelzebub.

fair enough. I think like all his mates today just has a dose of the footy-yips

4 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Really! Maybe I'm feeling annoyed but I thought he was very meh today

Today, yes. Point being is you'd rather him be there and stink it up because at least he is reliable with the ball.