Post match Discussion "Fire away"

What

Stretch should've played. I said that in the changes thread. Besides the 2 guys building fitness he was the best of those in the Casey Match Sim. Even if Lumumba played. Bugg and Harmes aren't wingmen. 

And if they were going to play Garland on Daniher then Dunn should've played instead. Garland's never been a reliable tall defender able to play on guys his height yet alone anyone nearly 6 inches taller.

But that's not really the issue.

Terrible effort on the spread. No matter the game plan you can't let a team have 100+ uncontested possessions. 

Then shocking ball use constantly going back in to trouble.

There's no way this was the game plan. This was a side that just wasn't willing to work hard for any part of the game yet alone 4 quarters. 

Unfortunately we now need to drop (somewhat) talented players for guys who will work harder and it's back to square 1 again. 

• Like 4

Lumumba seems to think his role is over as soon as he kicks it. He does gain yardage but his inability to kick through the middle of the ball to the advantage of a team mate is just not there. I havent ever seen it.

He kicks in not even hope, he just gets rid of it. As has been said loudly (to me, in the past) "Would you hand ball to a non existent target? Would you D!ckhead?, then dont kick to one!"

• Like 1

Shameful performance.  Just shameful.

The ease at which the bombers moved the ball proves the whole team were disgustingly lazy and uncompetitive.  22 tackles to 11 at quarter time.

Our lack of half forward effort is pathetic.  

The coaching was inept and toothless.  $1.5M a year for that. Couldn't even be bothered preventing their 2 spare men from dominating half back all day.

Hogan's contract must be shrinking by the day.

McDonald and Garland's timing was so far off today they looked to be visually impaired.  Little Jetta had to show them how to spoil. Hint: Try and make contact with the ball.  Maybe try shifting Danihers body under the ball instead of playing in front every time. You know, the kind of stuff that works against Hogan all game.  And McDonald's continuing lack of awareness has become beyond a joke.  Mate, please look behind you before you do anything. It's not that hard.

Tyson proved yet again he is the opposite of an impact player with 3 key misses directly in front.

Bugg.  What are you.  Viney, Vandenberg and Harmes didn't bother to turn up.

Brayshaw looked like 2013 Trengove.  Slowly jogging to receive a short chip in the backline is just kids stuff.  

Kent. Jesus Christ. You made Anthony Mcdonald-Tipungwuti look like Gary Ablett Junior out there.  5 touches vs 20.  Hang your head.

Watts refused to impose himself on a contest. At least Pedersen tries.

This will damage them mentally.  If a virtual VFL side can toy with us like that, what hope do we have.

Sickening stuff.  And on top of all that I forgot to put in my footy tips after getting 9/9 last week.  I AM FORTUNE'S FOOL!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, praha said:

Sometimes I think Roos is purposefully being stubborn, like as if to teach them a lesson. Like, they have to learn how to win and defend his way.

We would have killed them had we actually played with just a little inkling of attacking flair. We were shown up defensively today. It is a major indictment on Roos.

On 12 March 2016 at 11:56 PM, praha said:

a lot of people seem to too easily dismiss Roos' style here. Our defense during the pre-season has been sublime. Our pressure out times in the defensive half was fantastic. And as the article mentioned, our transition out of defense, a major area of issue the last two seasons, looked great. Our forward pressure was also good. There is a defensive mindset that was so lacking that Roos introduced, and combined with Goodwin's bold, striking, fast style, creates a more free-flowing game.

27 minutes ago, P-man said:

I'm in no way blaming the umpires but they also seemed to heavily favour them today. Some really soft decisions at critical moments.

I can't understand anyone talking up Lumumba. He was terrible. But he had plenty of mates.

Essendon were first to the ball all day. The umpiring usually goes your way if you do, except if you're Melbourne.

• Like 1

I don't like to make this excuse, and it certainly doesn't excuse how bad we were but the umpiring was complaint worthy, it was clearly bias, and the difference in my opinion

12 minutes ago, demon9 said:

Watts is always an easy target for them. Not even Wayne Carey would have had an impact with such poor delivery inside the 50.

Carey would have demanded the ball and they would have been confident to kick to him.  Because he would have been in a good position and he would have won it.

1 minute ago, P-man said:

To be fair, Mcdonald-Tipungwuti had an exceptional game regardless of who was on him, especially considering it's the second one of his career.

He did everything we didn't. He competed well and ran hard. He was always an option.

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Stretch should've played. I said that in the changes thread. Besides the 2 guys building fitness he was the best of those in the Casey Match Sim. Even if Lumumba played. Bugg and Harmes aren't wingmen. 

And if they were going to play Garland on Daniher then Dunn should've played instead. Garland's never been a reliable tall defender able to play on guys his height yet alone anyone nearly 6 inches taller.

But that's not really the issue.

Terrible effort on the spread. No matter the game plan you can't let a team have 100+ uncontested possessions. 

Then shocking ball use constantly going back in to trouble.

There's no way this was the game plan. This was a side that just wasn't willing to work hard for any part of the game yet alone 4 quarters. 

Unfortunately we now need to drop (somewhat) talented players for guys who will work harder and it's back to square 1 again. 

We need elite runners off HB who can ALSO hit targets up the field consistently. I'm afraid at present we have none of those. TMac started that rot today with his horrible attempt to switch kick after playing on that didn't make the distance, went straight to the opposition for their first and there was the confidence booster.

The other was Matty's horrible decision to short pass out of the back pocket instead of up the line (after taking his usual Fricken MATTY time to assess that there was nothing on offer to pass too!). After all that time assessing the only percentage play was long up the line but nah. Matty tries the hero kick inside and guess wat. Instead of possibly going into half time with a 2 - 3 goal lead, we go in trailing and Essendrug go in on a high with confidence brewing!

Both NQR players whose decision making/disposal skills are shown up under "regular" match day conditions.

I was painting my house with my dad on Thursday my old man is a dry old bastard and a very wise man, he looked me strait in the eyes and said we should go down and have $500 on the bombers he said we had no hope I laughed and kept painting should've known better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony Tea said:

Imagine getting out-coached by Worsfold.

I don't see why we blame the coaches for the players bad performance. You reckon that Roos and co said let them run. The players did not execute to plan, the players did not chase, tackle, kick well, etc...  Roos put on what we all thought was a reasonable side even with Lumumba and Angus coming in, but it does not matter who you bring in if your attitude and approach is as bad as our players was today.  They fall for their own hype so easily, we saw it time and time again last year when we thought we were going in as favourites and lost, today was no exception. We were all chuffed because we beat GWS and Essendon got pantsed by GCS.  We were going to play a bunch of VFL and AFL rejects we were favourites paying $1.12 to their $6, it was all about how much are we going to win by, and how many is Hogan going to kick.  So our team turned up again expecting to win without putting in and we got pantsed again. The dees never fail to disappoint when they are clear favourites to win.

2 minutes ago, Emerald said:

I'm beginning to have my suspicions about  which Melbourne player/s are on drugs.

Garland plays and looks like he has spent the pre-game chugging bongs in the change rooms.

• Like 5

Just now, Rusty Nails said:

We need elite runners off HB who can ALSO hit targets up the field consistently. I'm afraid at present we have none of those. TMac started that rot today with his horrible attempt to switch kick after playing on that didn't make the distance, went straight to the opposition for their first and there was the confidence booster.

The other was Matty's horrible decision to short pass out of the back pocket instead of up the line (after taking his usual Fricken MATTY time to assess that there was nothing on offer to pass too!). After all that time assessing the only percentage play was long up the line but nah. Matty tries the hero kick inside and guess wat. Instead of possibly going into half time with a 2 - 3 goal lead, we go in trailing and Essendrug go in on a high with confidence brewing!

Both NQR players whose decision making/disposal skills are shown up under "regular" match day conditions.

The percentage play gets you know where in the AFL. We need to switch and open the game up more. Matt Jones' kick wasn't great but it was on Brayshaw for not attacking it. 

Tom McDonald's kick was terrible. Everyone's had their say on him. I'd be more concerned about his deliberate and other poor errors that show lack of composure. 

It was super windy today. So it had to be a day to attack using run and carry and accurate short kicking before using the wind when it suited. 

We did little of that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

It's not all about you Dazzle. 

Nothing but smartass comment as usual.

Add something worthy to the discussion for once 'Baghdad Bob'

Not in the [censored] mood to put up with your rubbish

Edited by dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Did not work hard enough with and without the ball. 

No energy, talk or direction on ground, 

our forward line set up is a joke. They either all clump together and don't lead or are so far up the ground there is no target. 

Hogan needs to realise if he doesn't want to be double teamed he actually needs to lead and preferably multiple times. 

Pathetic in any way you spin it. 

You could see the lethargy oozing from our players. I watched so many of them jog between contests and jog between set ups. No wonder we were miles off being able to cover the switch off half back.

I'm going to point him out again, because I thought he was pathetic. Dean Kent. Not a single touch in the first quarter. One in the second. And five in total for the day. He jogged most of the day. This is not a bloke that has been out of the side like Brayshaw (who was almost as ordinary today). But Kent has had the full pre season competition and Round 1 run up and still struggles to get involved in play. He'll probably play again next week, because we lack leg speed, but if we're serious about changing the culture at the club, he should be dropped. Oh and did I mention he had a solitary tackle for the day?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

the problem with Hogan is that he has had things going to well for him, he has not had to do much more than stand there an mark it for a lot of his limited career, its just he is going to end up double and triple tagged a lot more which means he needs to do more, until the contest is dead he needs to do an oliver, see ball get ball. and only stop when he hears a whistle, not stop and look/plead for a whistle.

He looks one dimensional.

Doesn't mix things up, run in with the flight, burn off an opponent.  Nobody blocks for him either which doesn't help.  But when he's not in a perfect position he won't even put his hands up.

I shudder to think what our forward half would look like without Garlett.

• Like 1