Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion vs GWS

Nasher

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Interesting that we only used 80 out of a possible 90 interchanges. Thought we looked spent at 3/4 time. Amazing the energy lift when we got a few goals and hit the front.

We did look out on our feet at the end of the third, but then in the last, GWS looked out on their feet. I'm just not convinced our work rate was good enough during quarters 2 and 3.

• Like 2

What about Dean Kent? I thought he was fantastic with his attack on the ball, decision making, defence and he also kicks goals. I agree with what everyone as said about our best players. Jack Viney just wants to eat that ball, TMac is a giant killer, Watts is now ready to live, Oliver should be set in stone at our club, Gawn of the ages, Kennedy was terrific and Jones heart is now shared by all.  

Great game dees and look forward to posting comments now that there are so many positive things to say.

Congrats to the club

• Like 3

I was the anti social bloke at a mates BBQ watching the game on the Gold Coast, a mates son watched the whole last quarter with me and asked who number 7 was, I said Jack Viney, after the game asked his dad can he get a Jack Viney jersey, we're on the Melbourne football club ordering a jersey now for him! Little steps but this big beautiful club is Coming back to life!!! Great win

• Like 27

Just now, Emerald said:

I'm beginning to think it might be more than just the players at Collingwood that are on the drugs for giving Kennedy to us for a Jeremy Howe.

Hehe. On reflecting on Kennedy's game I randomly remembered Howe and the best zero possession half Roosy had ever seen.

Lots of water to go under the bridge yet, but so far so good on that trade. Thought Kennedy was instrumental in the last quarter resurgence. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

Can the Tom McDonald haters ark up again, please? 

no doubt he was one of the best today.. only took off on one run where i jumped off my bar stool and nearly spilt my beer screaming "NO T-MAC! NOOOOO!!!!". read play well and took the simple, smart option 99% off the time though and enabled us to stay in the game. as long as he doesn't go for his little runs, he's great. needs to know his limitations/speed.

1 hour ago, olisik said:

Saved him for the last quarter

Oliver seemed to only play about half of the last quarter too. I reckon he played the majority of the first half and then a couple of minutes of the third and ten to fifteen minutes of the final quarter.

1 minute ago, AdamFarr said:

Oliver seemed to only play about half of the last quarter too. I reckon he played the majority of the first half and then a couple of minutes of the third and ten to fifteen minutes of the final quarter.

Could only listen on radio, but they said he had to go down to the rooms for treatment for 5-7 minutes at least twice. He must've picked up a knock early on, but that just makes the performance even better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Those thinking that we will struggle to fit in Brayshaw and co are kidding themselves. Harmes, Bugg, Tyson, Frost didn't set the world on fire. 

Agree on the first 3 BR.

I would persist with Frost though as he is reasonably athletic and as we saw in the 3rd quarter at one point with his amazing chase down from a LONG way behind, has a decent turn of speed. Outside of Jeffy, Antman (Kennedy), Viney, Watts (for his size), Harmes and Kent we are severely lacking in this dept. Can see Frost playing a similar style/role of game to Blizavs. FDs are crying out for the taller, more mobile/quickish player like this to play multiple roles. I would stick with the ice man for this reason, provided he gives a decent show/contest. Like everyone in the team, he should earn his stripes each week. Will need more than 66%* game time (and one match) to see where he's at.

Of the first 3 players mentioned, the most disappointing for mine is Tyson given how long he's been in the system (NAB Cup also not amazing form IMO). Is pedestrian slow and so is his decision making when he gets the ball, which isn't often enough. His decision making in terms of which option he chooses to kick to is often horrid also. He would be first cab off the rank as soon as we have a fit Brayshaw IMO ....but not until then as there's really no one better to come in straight away (from the coach/FD chatter you hear anyways ... which usually has a bit of club spin attached to it i realise). Although i have my fingers crossed about Petracca coming in by round 3. If Brayshaw is back by then then then we have 2 certain ins for Tyson/Bugg. I tend to look away when Harmes gets the pill but he does show glimpses of potential and can find space at times. Also seems to put himself in a decent positions. Didn't get enough of the pill today (only 8 disposals/very low % on ground time though) but disposal efficiency in today's game was right up there (7th best @ 87.5%).

Edited by Rusty Nails
*Game time % erratum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Out of everyone that was saying basically the exact same thing as I was saying you picked me out.

True. But then again, you're always one of the first to stick the boots in.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

no doubt he was one of the best today.. only took off on one run where i jumped off my bar stool and nearly spilt my beer screaming "NO T-MAC! NOOOOO!!!!". read play well and took the simple, smart option 99% off the time though and enabled us to stay in the game. as long as he doesn't go for his little runs, he's great. needs to know his limitations/speed.

Spot on Rocky. I noticed many of his disposals where shortish chips rather than trying to find 30 - 50 meter type targets where he seems very suspect by foot. Either he clicked on this or the FD had him working on it (or both) as he was much more improved on his short disposal game (by foot) in this match. Can't recall a play wher ehe cost us an ugly turnover for the rebound goal as per some of his past work.

Needs to work on his awareness further as he seem to have a (limited) lateral view of his options as soon as he takes off. Would love to see him look up the corridor as his first option! Lateral after

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Watts was Riewoltesk today, sublime Jackie boy....can't wait till Brayshaw comes back in.....

Agree watched the highlights again and he was instrumental in those first 3 goals of the last. If he can just make that performance his benchmark in terms of intensity, endeavour and creativity, he will have a very good season indeed! 

• Like 3

Haven't seen the game yet but from the highlights Watts was bloody awesome. 

Good to c he brought his Nab preseason form through to the real stuff. 

GO WATTSY

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

Great win if not a bit sloppy. Very good to see the young Demons have confidence in themselves to steal the win after going down by 20 points in the last.

Great to see Hogan take the game by the scruff in the last and boot 3 after a dirty game.

Watts was great as we're Kennedy and Oliver. Matty Jones was pretty good too. I didn't notice Bugg so much but Tyson seemed to have a dirty day.

Our backline is still cause for aneurysms...

• Like 2

Just got home via Thia en route. Was hoping to be the first poster to mention the young lad with no. 35 on his back - looks like others noticed him also - wow. 

Watts picking out Hogan for his 2nd was just class.

Fair turn up today I thought. 

Hot Cross Buns and replay in the morning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, It'll Come said:

What about Dean Kent? I thought he was fantastic with his attack on the ball, decision making, defence and he also kicks goals. I agree with what everyone as said about our best players. Jack Viney just wants to eat that ball, TMac is a giant killer, Watts is now ready to live, Oliver should be set in stone at our club, Gawn of the ages, Kennedy was terrific and Jones heart is now shared by all.  

Great game dees and look forward to posting comments now that there are so many positive things to say.

Congrats to the club

Dean was awesome mate. Should have included in my best on reflection just ahead of Big M. That goal in the 3rd was invaluable and he broke free from many contests selecting solid options up the field. Room for improvement but progressing nicely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dannyz said:

The quiet achiever - Neville Jetta. Plays it simple, tough as nails and doesn't waste a posession. Knows his limits!

Did waste one today. When we were on a role in the last quarter, but I love him. He's an absolute beauty. He is a bloke you can trust. I love how he's turned his career around. Take a bow, Paul Roos.

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

i hate to say it, but he was good today and his kicking looked improved

He had more influence today, because he runs hard, but I think the original post there is correct. His kicking is still very unreliable and he's not the greatest decision maker.

2 hours ago, The Sailing Demon said:

Absolutely Dee-Lighted
I have heart failure but today we proved today that we are a much improved team, a lot of people are pegging GWS for finals this year and a demon team from any other year would have lost that game by 40-50.
YES we did get lucky with them poor kicking, but that is footy, kicking straight wins matches, and the fact that they kicked so many behinds says to me that our pressure is really getting up there.

WELCOME TO THE PARTY Matthew Jones, I said a week ago that I was really happy with his pre-season and thought he was set for a great year and so far he is keeping me a man of my word.

C . Oliver, round 1 rising star, Jack Viney, might be worth a sneaky $100 to place in the brownlow.
And great to see Maxxy Gawn winning the hit outs against Mumford and playing well.

Jack Watts, you bake a delicious humble pie and as a nay - sayer in past years I am happy to consume the bakers dozen.

Ben Ken, T . Bugg...Keep doing what you are doing, guys like you are the glue between marquee players and are the blokes that help clubs become great clubs.
The support acts are just as important as the main acts.

Hogan...Firing when he needed to under pressure with a helthy 3 in the final term but that just says to me that every game you have potential to boot a bag.

Bring on Essendon, lets make this season 2-0 and show the AFL who we are.

Agree with a lot of this, but Bugg was very, very, ordinary today. I'd say Brayshaw will replace Bugg. I'm not sold on Harmes either. He had an absolute shocker. That turn over in the last nearly cost us the game. It certainly cost us the momentum for a while. He also had a horrible turn over in the first half too, which I believe cost us a goal in the end.

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Decent crowd today:  28,505

Bodes well!

It's a terrific crowd. Given the only people there for GWS were family friends of the players. Reckon we might just get 50,000 next week.

2 hours ago, sue said:

Is the rule now 10m or what?    I can understand the umps making mistakes all day long (as much as I don't like it) but  how could they get that so wrong.

On another rule, if you are just behind an oppo player who has a mark or a free and you want to run down the ground on your own, it seems you have to run sideways 10m before you start. That seems impossible to umpire consistently.

Yep, it's another dumb, ill-considered rule by the AFL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

The other question is, where are we going to fit all of Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove, Dunn and Lumumba?

Brayshaw for Harmes

Petracca for Tyson

Dunne for OMac

Lumumba and Bugg take your pick

Trengove and Vandenberg take your pick

Can you believe we actually have some depth in the midfield ?!!