Saturday Talking Point: Our Next Sam Gray?

Whispering_Jack

2 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Is that Shane Warne crossed with Sam Newman?

That's a fair call, Ethan.

15 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Port Adelaide's Sam Gray (not to be confused with Robbie Gray) came from out of almost nowhere towards the end of 2015 to become a vital component of his team's lineup in the midfield.

Three years ago at the age of 21 and a member of the Port Adelaide Magpies, Gray was runner up in the SANFL Magery Medal. He was rookie listed by Port Adelaide AFL and made his debut in round 4 of 2014 after being elevated to the senior list to fill a long term injury vacancy and managed 7 games. 

Retained on the rookie list last year, Gray didn't play his first game of the season until round 8 where he played in 4 consecutive games as a small forward before being dropped back to the SANFL Magpies. 

With Port Adelaide's spate of midfield injuries late in the season, he regained selection for the last six games in which he was a prolific possession gatherer, averaging 35 disposals in the last three games as his team stormed home to finish with four wins on end including decisive victories over Hawthorn and Fremantle. The 176cm Gray polled Brownlow votes in each of last three games of 2015 finishing with a total of five and was elevated onto Port's senior list.

Gray has maintained the momentum in this year's NAB Challenge series and was among his team's best in every game.

There are many instances of players at clubs coming from virtually out of the woodwork to become star players. 

Is there one such player on Melbourne's list who could do the same in 2016?

I suspect we will have to try to draft a class small in this years draft.

We are lacking in this area,  but IMO this  'positional player type'  is the icing on the drafting cake,  rather than the meat & potatoes main course.  I think the time is now for us to find a nippy small to follow Garletts lead.  hopefully one who can run thru the middle more than jeff.

I'd like to see Max King grasp the CHF role like his business partner, the other Maxy, grasped the ruck role at Kardinia Park last year, including the seeming come-from-nowhere aspect that would certainly be true of Max K should he do so!

If we're thinking someone who keeps showing glimpses but not being a complete footballer, and who then turns it on at last... Ben Newton for my tip.

But it'll be an interesting season for sorting the 22. So many, soooo many players who may shuffle in, and at least a little lack of depth in every part of the ground where those fringe players could push themselves into.

Good times.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Harmes for me

and the continued improvement of AVB

although both these players are "known"

Hulett is the one with real X Factor...

16 hours ago, McQueen said:

What knowledge are you basing this comment on, SWYL?

Perhaps, Steve, because x is often used in mathematics to represent the unknown?

Which, in my mind, would make Huelett one of several x players. 

Edited by monoccular

Having seen Liam Hulett in his first practice game at Casey yesterday, I think he might be in line for a Sam Gray but let me temper that by saying it will be a long, long way into the future if it happens at all.

Both he and Sam Weideman were playing their first games at senior level after missing a lot of football through injury (and I'm discounting any suburban senior games Hulett might have played last year in the Mornington Peninsula comp). They both found it hard to get into the game because the Scorps were basically a rabble against a well oiled, highly disciplined team that ran rings around them. They need time to acclimatise at this level before any thought can be given to their AFL careers and they will do better in time.

Hulett is a really big bodied lad who looks physically ready but he's actually a long way from that in terms of learning and experience and I suspect that he needs the full year of fitness training including gym work and learning running patterns etc out on the ground before we can even know whether he can take the step to the next level. His size is an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time.

He's a definite work in progress and if the development coaches at the club do their work well, he could become an imposing presence on a football field. 

• Like 5

Always said that some players adjust and play better at AFL level compared to the standard VFL match. 

This is where i could see Hulett and Weideman adjusting well straight away if given the opportunity at AFL level.

34 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Always said that some players adjust and play better at AFL level compared to the standard VFL match. 

This is where i could see Hulett and Weideman adjusting well straight away if given the opportunity at AFL level.

Not if they're not ready. They could get destroyed if we went early.

32 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think what WJ brings up about their performances are things that need to be learned at VFL level - the fitness, the running patterns, the ability to get to the right spots etc.

It's a bonus that we can allow these kids to learn their craft at VFL level so, when the time comes, they can slot straight into our side and contribute on a weekly basis.

35 minutes ago, Oliver Sholem said:

Not if they're not ready. They could get destroyed if we went early.

Absolutely. No way would i throw them in early. Whilst it wouldn't bother me if they didn't  get games this year id love to see both Hulett and Weed play at least 5-8 games to really get a feel for it and attack pre season knowing whats expected at the top level.

What twaddle! Leave them to learn their craft and earn a call up in the VFL. Didn't do Hogan any harm, nor impede his development.

Only reason either should play AFL this year is if two of our big three forwards (Hogan, Dawes Pedo) are injured AND they've demonstrated dominant consistent performances at VFL level. 

If either kid plays 5+ games in AFL this year, it will simply mean we've put the cue in the rack (re finals) for another year...

Edited by PaulRB

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Having seen Liam Hulett in his first practice game at Casey yesterday, I think he might be in line for a Sam Gray but let me temper that by saying it will be a long, long way into the future if it happens at all.

Both he and Sam Weideman were playing their first games at senior level after missing a lot of football through injury (and I'm discounting any suburban senior games Hulett might have played last year in the Mornington Peninsula comp). They both found it hard to get into the game because the Scorps were basically a rabble against a well oiled, highly disciplined team that ran rings around them. They need time to acclimatise at this level before any thought can be given to their AFL careers and they will do better in time.

Hulett is a really big bodied lad who looks physically ready but he's actually a long way from that in terms of learning and experience and I suspect that he needs the full year of fitness training including gym work and learning running patterns etc out on the ground before we can even know whether he can take the step to the next level. His size is an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time.

He's a definite work in progress and if the development coaches at the club do their work well, he could become an imposing presence on a football field. 

Maybe i am a year too early!

that is fine by me. No point rushing things. We don't do that anymore...