• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne's Best Wins Since 1970

Good Times Grimes

The Age has been running a series in which it ranks the top 5 wins that each club has had since 1970 (or whenever they came into the league). Today's edition featured the Demons.

While we've had more than our fair share of misery, it has made many of the wins seem much sweeter than they would have otherwise. Do you agree with the top 5? Which wins do you think were overlooked?

I think I'd squeeze this year's win over the Cats in Geelong into the top 5, as I think that it was a major turning point for our club. Our win over the Crows in the 1998 finals was also an awesome performance.

• Like 1

Last year's win against Geelong should most definitely been there as should one of our wins against Collingwood* (which are more highly coveted for Melbourne supporters). Who cares if we beat Freo in 2008. I had forgotten already!

* Round 18 last year would have been a good one. We all loved those four goals by Hogan and seeing Dawes kick three against his old side was also sweet!

Edited by CBDees
Best to give an example of a win against the Pies.
  • Like 1

#1 and #2 on the list were spot on I thought...but I think there were too many games from 2001+ listed.  We played some pretty good footy in the late 80s and early 90s.

1998 vs West Coast after being thrashed by Geelong and the saints in the previous two weeks somehow we won in Perth against the odds. Robbo came of age and kicked 4.

1990 beating Essendon at windy hill after being behind all day?  Darren Bennett and Ricky Jackson leading the charge!

Beating hawthorn in the last round of 1990 (and then giving them another dose in the elimination the week after)

Beating north round 2 1998 after being wooden spooners in 1997, Farmer, Schwarz, Lyon, Neitz all running amok...

Any game where Jackovich kicked 6+!

Any games from the 70s stand out?

Edited by BillyBeane

Two of these games I don't agree with.

1. Freo.  It was a great comeback, but in the context of the season it was meaningless. We were useless before this game, and useless after it.

2. The Broadbridge tribute game. Had great symbolism and was an emotional occasion in commemorating the late Troy Broadbridge. But as a game of football it was just so so.

Without delving into afl stats I would put forward the following:

1990's game where we were undermanned and unheralded, but played all over the top of west coast in perth, with Russell Robertson starring.

An early 1990's game where we came from behind and beat Essendon and Windy Hill, Darren Bennett going berserk.

A late 90's? game where we beat Adelaide in Adelaide, in a thriller. A set play from the boundary line saw us get home.

Round 18, 2004. Melbourne beat Hawthorn to go top of the table. Not sure we had achieved this feat since 1964, certainly not at this time of year.

There were many games in the early 70's when we had Alves, Dillon and Parke starring which I would also rank above the paltry offerings of the Age journalist.

apologies to Billy Beane for picking up the west coast and Essendon games. I would also put the last round of 1976 into the list, where we had to beat Collingwood at Collingwood to make a late dash for the four, which would have  been our first finals appearance since 1964. Alas, another game (featuring Robbie Walls) didn't go our way so we didn't make the four. But a great game, still remember going to it with my brother. Colin Graham was a top player that game.

Edited by bush demon
acknowledgement, addition
  • Like 1

Its tragic that the last game to feature on the list was 8 years ago!!

The only thing that really appealed about the article is this pic

AFL football at MCG. Round 1 Melbourne Vs Essendon.  Trisha Broadbridge tossed the coin and David Neitz and James Hird choose their directions  FAIRFAX Picture by JOHN FRENCH The Age 26th March 2005.  jaf050326.001.004 SPECIAL MELBVESS

Neiter saying to Hird: '...yeah Mr Arrogant Smarty Pants...come and get me...I'll wipe that smirk off your face!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bush demon said:

I would also put the last round of 1976 into the list, where we had to beat Collingwood at Collingwood to make a late dash for the four, which would have  been our first finals appearance since 1964. Alas, another game (featuring Robbie Walls) didn't go our way so we didn't make the four. But a great game, still remember going to it with my brother. Colin Graham was a top player that game.

That had the added bonus of us handing the 'Pies the wooden spoon. Their first I believe

2 hours ago, BillyBeane said:

#1 and #2 on the list were spot on I thought...but I think there were too many games from 2001+ listed.  We played some pretty good footy in the late 80s and early 90s.

1998 vs West Coast after being thrashed by Geelong and the saints in the previous two weeks somehow we won in Perth against the odds. Robbo came of age and kicked 4.

Ahhhh I remember this game very well. To this day, for some weird reason, I can clearly remember just about every aspect of it from the final margin to where I was and who I was with. What a great match.

I'd dump the 2005 Essendon game from the list. Just doesn't come to mind when I think of classic wins.

I'd replace it with the 2000 qualifying final v's Carlton. Surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet as it was just a magnificent win after being down by 5 goals at 3qtr time to the second best side that year.

The worst win since 1970 was that shocker of a game v's Brisbane last year.

17 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'd replace it with the 2000 qualifying final v's Carlton. Surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet as it was just a magnificent win after being down by 5 goals at 3qtr time to the second best side that year.

Great win, but the article was for Home & Away wins only 

1 hour ago, BillyBeane said:

Great win, but the article was for Home & Away wins only 

Understood BB, but a great win nonetheless.  Brad Green was sensational that day, but Oozer was incredible.  The atmosphere at the 'G was amazing when we came back from being so far down, then we were headed again, but still came out on top.  Still makes the hair on back of my neck stand on end.  Amazing day.

The research for this article for Conolly and his little mate must have taken all of 5 minutes

there was a massive win back in 89-90 in Perth against Meth Coke

3/4 time it got very heated

players had to pull Johnny Northey back from the Meth Coke huddle. 

Have it on VHS somewhere

enormous victory...

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The research for this article for Conolly and his little mate must have taken all of 5 minutes

Given that it's an opinion piece it's likely that everyone on here will be able to think of a couple of games that should be on the list as well as disagree with some that did make the cut. It's just an off-season fluff piece, but it's fun to read and try and think back on some of our best wins given that we haven't had very many in recent times.

6 hours ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Given that it's an opinion piece it's likely that everyone on here will be able to think of a couple of games that should be on the list as well as disagree with some that did make the cut. It's just an off-season fluff piece, but it's fun to read and try and think back on some of our best wins given that we haven't had very many in recent times.

Not disputing that. But if the parameters are from 1970 onwards then it is not a good representation. 

Another missed game was Round 22 1990 beating the Dawks so we could play them again the following week

8 of the toughest quarters i have ever seen the MFC play. 

No wonder they were knackered when we played WC at Waverley

the Filth were lucky that year

Edited by Sir Why You Little
spacing
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Understood BB, but a great win nonetheless.  Brad Green was sensational that day, but Oozer was incredible.  The atmosphere at the 'G was amazing when we came back from being so far down, then we were headed again, but still came out on top.  Still makes the hair on back of my neck stand on end.  Amazing day.

Oh...I remember ;):)

Here are some sights for sore demon eyes:

1998 vs WC https://youtu.be/dZVeRYWyH9A

1990 vs Essendon : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owS0J1Jh4F4

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Another missed game was Round 22 1990 beating the Dawks so we could play them again the following week

8 of the toughest quarters i have ever seen the MFC play. 

No wonder they were knackered when we played WC at Waverley

the Filth werelucky that year

Heartily agree on that.  Still only ourselves to blame, we lost some winnable games mid-season that would have given us the double chance that year.

5 hours ago, bush demon said:

Two of these games I don't agree with.

1. Freo.  It was a great comeback, but in the context of the season it was meaningless. We were useless before this game, and useless after it.

2. The Broadbridge tribute game. Had great symbolism and was an emotional occasion in commemorating the late Troy Broadbridge. But as a game of football it was just so so.

Without delving into afl stats I would put forward the following:

1990's game where we were undermanned and unheralded, but played all over the top of west coast in perth, with Russell Robertson starring.

An early 1990's game where we came from behind and beat Essendon and Windy Hill, Darren Bennett going berserk.

A late 90's? game where we beat Adelaide in Adelaide, in a thriller. A set play from the boundary line saw us get home.

Round 18, 2004. Melbourne beat Hawthorn to go top of the table. Not sure we had achieved this feat since 1964, certainly not at this time of year.

There were many games in the early 70's when we had Alves, Dillon and Parke starring which I would also rank above the paltry offerings of the Age journalist.

apologies to Billy Beane for picking up the west coast and Essendon games. I would also put the last round of 1976 into the list, where we had to beat Collingwood at Collingwood to make a late dash for the four, which would have  been our first finals appearance since 1964. Alas, another game (featuring Robbie Walls) didn't go our way so we didn't make the four. But a great game, still remember going to it with my brother. Colin Graham was a top player that game.

The adelaide game was Rd  2 2001, leoncelli on the run put us back in front with about 15 seconds on the clock after the crows thought they'd snatched it at the death. One of the few highlights from a poor season given the high expectations. 

Being at that Freo game in 2008, i found that the atmosphere was phenomenal considering there was less that 20000 there.  It was also the second best comback in afl/vfl history so i think it deserves a mention.

It was a shining light in an otherwise bleak time for me.

1 hour ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Have never gone as nuts in a final quarter as I did that match... probably my best match day experience.  

But in terms of home and away only for 2000 I don't think you can go past the queens birthday demolition of the filth,  the wiz kicking 9 goals in the second half, robbo taking speccys... brilliant! The game which revitalised our season and set off a run to the GF. Only one loss in 12 or something from then on

7 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

The adelaide game was Rd  2 2001, leoncelli on the run put us back in front with about 15 seconds on the clock after the crows thought they'd snatched it at the death. One of the few highlights from a poor season given the high expectations. 

I remember that one well.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xujU9yx6HEo

Haven't read the article - from Vietnam. I saw the "Templeton game" at Kardinia Park AND the mid 70s win at Moorabbin. Still visualise Graham's monster. 

Also so our last ever game at Victoria Park. Only kicked two goals in last quarter. Sean Wight and Andy Lovell - 29 and 31 minute mark. Got up by three points. 

The series started as a club's best fightbacks but the rationale seems to have changed for us to "best wins"

I agree with the Western Oval and the Broadbridge games but how about Jeff Farmer running all over Collingwood with nine second half goals.

Or the final round 2000 (I think) with us and the Tiges playing for a finals spot and us destroying them.

Or preliminary final 2000 with us trailing Carlton (reigning premiers) all day and then running over the top of them in the final quarter.

Or First Semi Final in the 1990s with Steven Newport nailing two 50 metre final quarter goals as we sink the Pies by 24 points?

Plenty of others they could have chosen but the list seems too weighted post-2000.

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'd dump the 2005 Essendon game from the list. Just doesn't come to mind when I think of classic wins.

The worst win since 1970 was that shocker of a game v's Brisbane last year.

With you on that one!

The best win I've seen, and by a fair distance.