• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GWS handing out cheap top 10 picks

DeeSpencer

How much does their list need to shrink for next season ?

cheers

Guys, I don't know how negligent Josh Mahoney has been in this, however, I've chosen this as the catalyst to document some very negative feedback I have received recently about Josh.

You will have to respect my sources, however, please be assured that these comments are 100% factual.

I play tennis with a guy who had a role for the years 2013 & 2014 within our football Dept. and let me assure you this guy has has had involvement in at least two other very successful football Clubs.

His feedback of Josh Mahoney paints a picture of someone totally out of his depth and well below the standard of his peers at other AFL clubs. He cites a lack of attention to detail, follow-up and General inspiration as major weaknesses. I was also told by him last week that a current member of the Football Dept. was harshly criticising Josh to him on the day before our discussion.

I have also been told by my very close contact within the Hawthorn playing group that James Frawley has also been very negative about the effectiveness of Josh Mahoney.

I've never met Josh, however, others I have asked, have told me that he certainly wasn't hit with the personality & energy stick and they thought the only reason he survives is that he takes on everything Senior Management throws at him which has the effect of him perhaps having too much on his plate.

Now this kThis type of post really does my head in

FFS this guy who won't be named says something disparaging about a MFC person and then backs it up with a discussion with someone within the footy club who confirms the person is no good.

Then you have a member of an opposing team who gives the author his own version of what a former player has said.

Honestly are you for real?

My first question is what's in it for you, your friend, the MFC staffer, the Hawthorn player and Frawley? By that I mean each person in this scenario has a different personal and professional relationship with JM and those around him. JM may have provided advice or a decision that was not received positively, Maybe JM is in a role one of the above covets. All of you have a motive for why this view has formed

Secondly all these people seem to hide behind their anonymity (bar Frawley) who is being quoted and quite frankly if you can't say what you need to say to JM's face then that just lacks character.

Thirdly JM does not need to be charismatic or animated as a leader in fact I would rather he be dead pan and serious when it comes to fronting the AFL journalist at Trade time. My point is as long as he produces quality work its a moot point we all can't be Peacock's and Eagles organisations need Doves and Owls too.

Finally the proofs is in the pudding our trade period was successful in that we got value for money in players and traded higher up the draft.

NB: I don't know JM I am not pro or anti him. I am a member of this club who thinks shitty politics and sniping like this belong in Parliaments, Soapies and High School. Save the drama and [insert storm in a Tea cup JPEG here] for someone else.

But hey that's only my opinion'

• Like 10

GWS are near certain to use their best picks this year on 2 academy kids who are predicted to go early in the first round. They have pick 8 and will get pick 7 from Collingwood for Treloar.

They've worked out that because they don't need the picks alone but only the points that come with picks that they can auction off the top 10 picks for 2 picks in the 20's and then use those for the bidding.

Essendon's picks 23 and 25 combine to more points than pick 8, so they can trade them and get a top 10 pick pretty cheaply.

Sounds to me that once again through a lack of knowledge and abstract thinking around the rules we've missed an opportunity here.

Instead of Milkshake we could've loaded up our 2nd rounder and possibly Collingwood's as part of the Howe deal and got another pick in the 10 ten.

Have we missed a trick once again?

well done G R.R. M... how did you get this deal done for us?

• Like 1

Football boss Josh Mahoney told the Herald Sun the Dees identified the loophole about a month ago and planned to exploit it to rise up the draft order.

“That was one of the things we spoke about and we’re really happy the plan has come through,” Mahoney said.

“The key thing is you’ve got to learn how the system works and how the points work and I think as the trade period has gone on the influence of points is certainly coming through.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-list-chief-graham-wright-calls-for-review-of-points-trading-system/story-fnp04d6y-1227580340273

• Like 1

Seems Josh Mahoney was one step ahead of everyone. I say it again. Well done to him and his team.

My experience is that these 'eureka' moments with manipulating regulated systems happen as a consequence of people brainstorming and working through the scenarios together.

Happy to give Mahoney the credit as the boss (as everyone was happy to pan him as the boss until this happened), but I expect it was a team effort (as you alluded to).

• Like 2

Love that the MFC were ahead of the curve on this one.

However one of the comments on that link worries me:

"The point of it is that top clubs (like Hawthorn), can now buy top draft picks with a bunch of lower selections, which totally defeats the purpose of the draft in evening the competition up. Wright is suggesting capping the amount of lower picks that can be used so this doesn't happen. "

They didn't work it out this year until it was too late (unlike us), but it's not hard to see the above scenario eventuating next year.

• Like 1

And uses OUR pick 25...

Fmd we're clueless by comparison.

Hadn't read this thread at all so when i opened landed way back on the 15th October. Clueless? Is that same club that trumped the bombers to jump ahead of them in the draft and get pick 3 (and 7 to boot), i imagine much to their immense frustration.

Edited by binman