Trade Radio Discussion

What

Well I hope that they will do something soon RL

I must admit i am completely underwhelmed with what has been reported so far.

Obviously no big fish and the comparison with Geelong is interesting. They have gone with a well publicised strategy and implemented their plans efficiently, professionally, quickly and successfully.

MFC on the other hand........ What is the strategy??

Would it be to improve? And try to position ourselves for a flag at some point?

Geelong have just traded what could be a top 8 pick for a bloke that might be a good forward or an adequate back. They have trade a top 10 pick and the next pick for an immense talent in Danger Mouse because he wants to go there - strategy be damned (or be irrelevant), and they have convinced the crocked brother of their skipper to spend his last 5 years of his career playing with him.

They need a ruck to release Blicavs and they don't have it, they have got a player in who might fill a huge hole down back for a potentially huge price...

I think you are confusing action with strategy.

• Like 3

Pick 4 is the reason he has suitors and the reason a club may hold onto him longer. It may also glean a better pick, but it appears Port are the only ones interested in him even though Mahoney has stated he's happy to stay in Melbourne.

His talent hasn't "failed to translate to the MFC", it's failed to translate to AFL level football. When people were wetting themselves over his 3 or 4 goals in an intraclub at Gosch's a couple of year ago all I saw was a player who was hopeless in the contest and showed an appalling ability to evade tackles and the opposition. I left with real concerns over him as a player. Nothing has changed since then.

Sometime you buy shares in what appears to be a solid company only to be disappointed years down the track. You can hold on because of the reasons you bought in the first place or you can cut your losses. What you initially paid has no bearing on current market value. I don't see Toumpas being worth much at all.

kinda like Telstra...lol

I am in a conundrum - I want Geelong to fail badly but I don't want Carlton to get a good pick...

Let's hope Geelong are middle of the road next year, then terrible after that.

It's the best of scenarios!

Are Carlton allowed to on-trade that future pick to another club as part of a deal during this period or, can a future pick only change hands once?

Pick 4 is the reason he has suitors and the reason a club may hold onto him longer. It may also glean a better pick, but it appears Port are the only ones interested in him even though Mahoney has stated he's happy to stay in Melbourne.

His talent hasn't "failed to translate to the MFC", it's failed to translate to AFL level football. When people were wetting themselves over his 3 or 4 goals in an intraclub at Gosch's a couple of year ago all I saw was a player who was hopeless in the contest and showed an appalling ability to evade tackles and the opposition. I left with real concerns over him as a player. Nothing has changed since then.

Sometime you buy shares in what appears to be a solid company only to be disappointed years down the track. You can hold on because of the reasons you bought in the first place or you can cut your losses. What you initially paid has no bearing on current market value. I don't see Toumpas being worth much at all.

Agreed I watched with some concern on that day as well Pro all in all very dissapointing day and he has never shown anything since. A bust!

Unless these actions simply mirror their strategy. It could just be poor strategy

As his manager said, there are 10 clubs in Melbourne, all of whom will have interest in Prestia. If he hits the open market uncontracted, we will have very little chance of securing him.

Watch him go to Hawthorn next year.

If this bloke won't come to our club, we will NEVER get anyone to..

Would it be to improve? And try to position ourselves for a flag at some point?

Geelong have just traded what could be a top 8 pick for a bloke that might be a good forward or an adequate back. They have trade a top 10 pick and the next pick for an immense talent in Danger Mouse because he wants to go there - strategy be damned (or be irrelevant), and they have convinced the crocked brother of their skipper to spend his last 5 years of his career playing with him.

They need a ruck to release Blicavs and they don't have it, they have got a player in who might fill a huge hole down back for a potentially huge price...

I think you might be confusing strategy with Goals rp. Improvement and finals are goals, strategy is how you get there.

Still I am not clear on MFC Strategy at the moment although the goals are clear.

I think he is evaluated on more than his 3 years on the list. He's evaluated on his career. Being pick 4 indicates that he had/has talent which for one reason or another has failed to translate to MFC.

It might be for a number of reasons and it's the evaluation of those reasons which sets the good recruiters from the bad. He's been in a toxic environment in his first year, he's been at a club where there has been little leadership and who have been the easy beats of the competition for all his career, he came in after two hip operations, he's probably at a club whose game plan doesn't suit his style, he came in with big expectations at a club known to drown its youngsters and he's intermittently played good footy.

He might also just be a bust. But certainly nobody expected him to be a bust when drafted and so the question is was everyone wrong or did something go wrong that can be fixed? If he was pick 15 in the rookie draft nobody would bid for him but he was pick 4 in the ND and that does count for something. It's why Port are prepared to take him on.

Agree with this up to a point - the pick 4 is relevant in that he had talent as a junior. It is irrelevant now to the extent whilst Port may be prepared to take him on based on his junior resume they will want to pay nothing for him as retrospective drafting would have well down the order now.

It reinforces what I have always thought about drafting - it is a lottery. You can do as much homework as you like but at the end of the day, it is a lottery. We keep moaning and whining about Wines ( pardon the pun) - but we did not get it wrong not picking Wines - we got it wrong picking Toumpas. IMO the bulldogs got it right in picking Stringer not Wines but got it wrong picking Macrae before Wines - every single draft would look completely different with the benefit of hindsight.

• Like 1

If Prestia goes to any club in Melbourne, it'll be Melbourne. His family is far too invested in the club and his dad has friendships there. I know that "supporting the club as a kid" has little weight these days but it's different in this case. There's no way he'd pull on the jumper of another Melbourne club. That's not to say he's guaranteed to come to leave GC but if he does it'll be to go to Melbourne. They practically have him gift wrapped, ready to be delivered. If he ends up elsewhere it would be a major indictment on the club. There hasn't been a player of his caliber with so many ties to the MFC in the club's history. If they don't take advantage of that, it would be an embarrassment.

• Like 5

I think something's wrong with my phone. I've set the AFL App to update me of any trade details and I'm getting no notifications.

Oh wait a minute...

• Like 5

Thats irrelevant. Henderson is 26 and an average player, and Geelong paid too much for him. They are now out of the first and second round this year and the first round next year.

They better hope its worth it for a 5 year Dangerfield loan.. hes a prime candidate to break down by age 30.

Last year it is reported we offered pick 2 & 3 for Dangefield.

Geelong get Dangerfield Selwood and Henderson. Would they improve our side? Yes. Would we offer what they have offered? I hope so.

If we had snared those three players this site would be in meltdown talking about our next flag.

I think GFC have been shrewd. They have lost players and they have picked some up rather than wait on the lottery that is the draft. I envy their selections.

• Like 1

I don't see Toumpas being worth much at all.

He isn't but either is pick 50 in a weak draft. If that's the offer then we have a decision to make. And all the issues I mention above are relevant.

Some would sell and some would hold. I'd hold. I think there is more chance of him making it than a late 40's pick.

I don't like either option much.

• Like 1

Last year it is reported we offered pick 2 & 3 for Dangefield.

Geelong get Dangerfield Selwood and Henderson. Would they improve our side? Yes. Would we offer what they have offered? I hope so.

If we had snared those three players this site would be in meltdown talking about our next flag.

I think GFC have been shrewd. They have lost players and they have picked some up rather than wait on the lottery that is the draft. I envy their selections.

Geelong is banking on their draftees more than you think. Yeah they've brought in talent but there's a strong core of inexperience there. Their depth will be tested in the coming years.

He isn't but either is pick 50 in a weak draft. If that's the offer then we have a decision to make. And all the issues I mention above are relevant.

Some would sell and some would hold. I'd hold. I think there is more chance of him making it than a late 40's pick.

This

Even if we had to throw in Pick 45 with Toump to get Pick 29 and maybe their 4th or 5th round pick, that would still be better then just Pick 49 for Toump.

I'd rather us retain him or make him go into the PSD then take Pick 49 for him.

Rock and a hard place BB?

• Like 1

Geelong is banking on their draftees more than you think. Yeah they've brought in talent but there's a strong core of inexperience there. Their depth will be tested in the coming years.

And with all the old players they will soon lose (eg, Enright, Bartel, Lonergan, Mackie...and Clark, etc) they'll still be active in future (and apparently stronger) drafts. The 25 years olds they've traded for this week will complement the 18 year olds they bring in via the draft in 2016 and beyond.

And with all the old players they will soon lose (eg, Enright, Bartel, Lonergan, Mackie...and Clark, etc) they'll still be active in future (and apparently stronger) drafts. The 25 years olds they've traded for this week will complement the 18 year olds they bring in via the draft in 2016 and beyond.

I am confident that is their plan LDC

Unlike our plan during 2008/11 when we just got kids, kids and More Kids.

We choose poorly and by 2012 we had a VFL list.

• Like 1

He'll go elsewhere at the end of next year IF we don't move forward as a club. If we can show him further improvement with a view to finals then there is no reason why he can't choose us as a destination club at the end of 2016. If we go backwards or simply tread water then I wouldn't blame him if he looked elsewhere.

Wise words Wise, very wise...

OK praha would you swap our draft picks for Geelongs p/ups? Tell the truth, Morton, Gysberts, Cook or Dangerfield Selwood & Henderson. The draft is a lottery GFC are buying known products not a lucky dip.

• Like 1

It is now! 3 cheers for derivative sayings... maybe we can consider Prestia as 'signed, sealed and delayed'

Nice new name by the way Gawnski.

Edited by ManDee

That should put to bed any notion of him coming to us... this year.

But wait for some poor souls who still believe we are a chance to get him this year. I feel sorry for them.

To clean out his locker Jan 1st?