2015 Player Review - # 43 James Harmes (R)

Demonland

The young utility came off the rookie list and played with passion for the club he has supported since he was a kid to be one of the club's surprise packets of the season. That last game of his against GWS underlined some excellent as yet untapped potential.

Games MFC 2015 8

Career Total 8

Goals MFC 2015 3

Career Total 3

Games CSFC 2015 10

Goals CSFC 2015 5

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 36 votes

Been a big wrap for this kid since he came to the club at the end of 2013. Reckon he has something about him.

Will be staggered if he isn't upgraded/retained. Especially given we're bringing in someone like Melksham!

I thought he was just okay through his first seven games, but his contested marks against GWS indicated that he could be a fair bit better than that. The fact he hasn't resigned would suggest to me that the club is waiting to see what happens in the trade period befoe offering a contract. That said, it would be bitterly disappointing if a player such as Jayden Hunt was given priority over Harmes.

I thought he was just okay through his first seven games, but his contested marks against GWS indicated that he could be a fair bit better than that. The fact he hasn't resigned would suggest to me that the club is waiting to see what happens in the trade period befoe offering a contract. That said, it would be bitterly disappointing if a player such as Jayden Hunt was given priority over Harmes.

Thought he looked vanilla till that game against GWS. I think he shows great intensity, can take a grab and decent skills. nothing standout but looks worthy of a contract. next year will be very interesting to see if he can have a true breakout year.

Bit of a surprise packet...raw and rough round edges but geez he played like theres no tomorrow....hope thats contagious

Look forward to seeing him after another preseason. . Should get a few games next season as depth.

After watching some early Casey games, I thought Harmes had more X Factor than, Stretch, ANB and Toumpas. He regularly took strong contested marks and kicked some nice goals. Rarely got time in the middle due to Riley, McKenzie and Bail, but when he did, he showed a bit. May need to build up his engine, but could be a goal kicking mid that we need.

When he was named to debut I asked some of the Casey watchers what hes like as a player, and they said hes an excellent over head mark and can be dangerous inside 50

Round 23 vs GWS showed that was a spot on assessment and it was so exciting to see him do that at AFL level. He has some tricks that most players his size and position do not possess. Could be a real dangerous weapon for us.

• Like 2

Watched the GWS game last night for the first time. (I was on holiday)

Harmes was very good. Showed guts and had a real red hot go. Certainly has x factor (whatever that is?)

Reminded me of good Colin Sylvia.

Great development story I reckon. Worked his way up from the VFL dev league, to becoming a VFL seniors regular, to (by reports) consistently playing at a level above VFL seniors leaving them no choice but to pick him. He was given time to quietly and steadily improve, without being put under any pressure or expectation, and he did so. A very satisfying outcome for me.

I just love the story too. A kid growing up as an MFC supporter, gets drafted on to the rookie list, works his arse off to get in to the seniors team, and plays as if every touch might be the last. It's like he's living the dream of half of Demonland.

The next step is to keep improving and turn in to a consistent AFL half forward/midfielder. There's plenty to work with and he has a likable persona, so I hope he can.

(How good is the calling from Huddo?)

• Like 5