WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB – JAKE MELKSHAM

Theo

Druggies will be laughing at us. I'm disappointed we are helping them discard the dirty 34. I'm full of doubt about this, I hope this cowboy Goodwin doesn't unravel all our hard work!

• Like 1

Yeah I tend to agree. The consensus is that outside of the top 25, there really isn't much at all. Melksham isn't much of a player, it is a bad deal. It is a bad deal even before taking WADA repercussions into account. I highly doubt that trade gets confirmed early in trade week.

Our 2nd pick will be outside the top 25 with concessions for free agency. Therefore a good deal,

For some reason, one I have never been able to understand, ever since I first saw Melksham play in 2011, I have always and inexplicably rated him. There's just something about the little things he does that suggests there's a player in there. Long kick, good in the contest, good team player. Hopefully we can turn his career around

• Like 1

If the 4-year deal is heavily weighted to match payments rather than base salary, it would be a good insurance covering time suspended, while also offering Melksham some career certainty.

As for trade value... I dislike giving up picks in that top 25 range for players who aren't likely to make a major difference. I've long believed that the most efficient draft approach is 'high-low'. Be involved in the hunt for top-end talent at one end, then shamelessly turnover experimental, speculative, mature-age and 'possible' players on short contracts at the other end. The middle of the draft is much less likely to get you a major player than the top end, while actually not being that much better than the bottom end better when it comes to accumulating role-players and stalwarts.

Also worth noting the 'future picks' option and the fact that with a lot of retirements coming through they'll likely be going deep in drafts this year and next.

But for us, we seem to do a lot of our list-filling with mature players, and after another likely major cull this year I think we'll be quieter for list turnover at the end of 2016.

Would anyone else rather trade two third-round picks than one second rounder? Call it pick 43 (2015) and 47 (2016) vs pick 25 this year?

• Like 1

Melksham has many of the attributes of a number of our better midfielders. He gets his head over the ball, he is very good at moving the ball forward out the middle, he tackles well and in addition to these skills he has a long left foot kick. I think somebody once said something about Roos really liking left footers.

I hope that's not true, pick 40 in a really shallow draft doesn't make the fact we are giving up our second round pick for Melksham any better.

there is no certainty with the draft, we have certainly taken a lot of garbage players with early picks and a lot of team have had great success with late picks, it comes down to spotting possible talent then developing it. we hopefully have the recruiters to spot it and the coaches to now develop them.

• Like 1

Melksham has many of the attributes of a number of our better midfielders. He gets his head over the ball, he is very good at moving the ball forward out the middle, he tackles well and in addition to these skills he has a long left foot kick. I think somebody once said something about Roos really liking left footers.

Pity he's not a left-footer.

• Like 3

Melksham is a mixture of good and bad, but his good bits of play are the type that we really lack and are hard to get. He has good pace and excellent movement in contests, which allows him to break out of contests into space and move the ball quickly.

The best teams can break into space and that's where a lot of the scoring now comes from. Melksham can do some things that make you rip your hair out but he has a skill that we lack, in an age group that is important.

If he becomes the quality midfielder he was drafted to be then great, but if not he becomes a mature role player to bring a unique skill to our team.

• Like 10

Aren't we doing a straight swap for Dawes (who reportedly is out the door)? Seems like he would be handy for them with Carlisle going! If we hadn't been so hasty to delist Fitzy, then he could have been added for steak knives.

Aren't we doing a straight swap for Dawes (who reportedly is out the door)? Seems like he would be handy for them with Carlisle going! If we hadn't been so hasty to delist Fitzy, then he could have been added for steak knives.

Read this type of thing every year, you are kidding yourself if you think it's a hasty decision. Fitz is not steak knives, he has zero value trade wise.

Edited by DavidNeitz9
  • Like 1