Casey Scorpions v Werribee Tigers

KC from Casey

BLOW UP by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions surrendered a 26 point half time lead over the Werribee Tigers and any chance it might have had of a double chance in the VFL finals on a wild and woolly day at Casey Fields.

The game was strongly affected by the weather conditions with a stiff breeze blowing down the ground until three quarter time when the heavens opened and brought torrential rain, making scoring well nigh impossible. It could be argued that the gods conspired against the Scorpions because they missed out on the wind advantage in that final term and that this was a significant factor in the 39 point turn around that led to their demise by 13 points. After all, both sides were able to score seven goals when they had their respective turns of kicking with the wind in the second and third quarters.

Casey also lost significant scoring power when goal kicking youngster Jayden Hunt withdrew before the game and another goal kicker in tall forward Max King came off with a hamstring injury in the third term, adding to the team's shortage of key forwards with Tim Smith's absence. To make matters worse, Dean Terlich also came off not long after King, leaving the home side with a reduced bench to deal with playing in the difficult conditions that faced them in trying to catch up in the ensuing slog.

However, Casey had itself to blame for its parlous circumstances. It dominated the opening 20 minutes, despite kicking into the breeze but managed a mere four behinds to a single goal, then conceded two goals and pulled one back through Tom Muir who reaped the advantage of some good play by King. Jack Fitzpatrick was dominant in defence in the early stages taking several strong marks and outstretching his smaller opponents whilst not giving anything away when the ball hit the ground.

The eight point quarter time deficit was reeled in and, with the ruck combination of Jamar and Spencer well on top, a dominant midfield led by Aiden Riley, Ben Newton and Matt Jones and new-found accuracy in front of goal, Casey dominated the second. The tables turned after half time with the Tigers nullifying the ruck advantage but the clock had ticked past seven minutes before the visitors scored their first for the quarter with the now roaring gale behind it.

The wind strength at this stage was enormous ahead of the threatening rain and Werribee took full advantage despite a brief fightback when Angus Scott and Newton goaled to restore the lost lead. However, the quarter dragged on until the 36th minute and three late goals gave Werribee an 8 point lead just as the rains came tumbling down.

The Scorpions players who has no doubt been expecting the advantage of the wind to help bring them home were suddenly brought down to earth with a thud. They were outplayed by the Werribee small men who ran out the game brilliantly and tackled strongly against an opposition that looked shot and simply went through the motions unable to score more than a single point in the antarctic conditions that smothered the ground.

The Scorpions have now lost two vital games on end against opposition similarly placed on the ladder and their season is in danger of coming to a screeching halt. That this has occurred when it has had more AFL listed players at its disposal is worrying with several careers on the line in coming matches as they confront the top three teams in the competition in the run home.

2015 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions 1.6.12 8.7.55 10.8.68 10.9.69

Werribee Tigers 3.2.20 4.5.29 11.10.76 12.10.82

Goals

Casey Scorpions King Newton 2 Muir Page Salem Scott Terlich Toumpas

Werribee Tigers Porter Wood 3 Reid Sodomaco 2 Fordham Harper

Best

Casey Scorpions Fitzpatrick Riley Salem White Newton M Jones

Werribee Tigers Hanson Daw Porter Brett McMahon Conway

Statistics Rohan Bail 17 disposals 12 kicks 5 handballs 2 marks 8 tackles 81 dream team points

Jack Fitzpatrick 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 handballs 10 marks 77 dream team points

Mark Jamar 1 behind 14 disposals 11 kicks 3 handballs 47 hit outs 84 dream team points

Matt Jones 29 disposals 25 kicks 4 handballs 5 marks 13 tackles 145 dream team points

Jay Kennedy-Harris 6 disposals 3 kicks 3 handballs 9 tackles 48 dream team points

Max King 2 goals 1 behind 6 disposals 5 kicks 1 handball 2 marks 1 tackle 41 dream team points

Jordie McKenzie disposals kicks handballs marks tackles dream team points

Ben Newton 2 goals 1 behind 21 disposals 14 kicks 7 handballs 1 mark 6 tackles 93 dream team points

Aidan Riley 29 disposals 13kicks 16 handballs 2 marks 13 tackles 121 dream team points

Christian Salem 1 goal 14 disposals 8 kicks 6 handballs 1 mark 5 tackles 65 dream team points

Jake Spencer 12 disposals 6 kicks 6 handballs 5 marks 2 tackles 32 hit outs 84 dream team points

Dean Terlich 1 goal 9 disposals 7 kicks 2 handballs 1 mark 2 tackles 39 dream team points

Jimmy Toumpas 1 goal two behinds 15 disposals 7 kicks 8 handballs 3 marks 7 tackles 79 dream team points

Mitch White 18 disposals 12 kicks 6 handballs 3marks 1 tackles 62 dream team points

The Development League team made the most of the conditions dominating the first half and coasting to an easy 57 point win.

2015 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 4.3.27 8.7.55 9.10.64 12.15.87

Werribee Tigers 0.5.5 0.6.6 3.6.24 4.6.30

Goals

Casey Scorpions Rennie 3 Anderson 2 Fisscher Godfrey Lang Pattison Rosier Thwaites Wyatt

Werribee Tigers Kolang 3 Wales

Best

Casey Scorpions Wilson Pattison Hannon Walmsley Rosier Anderson

Werribee Tigers Taylor O'Shea Jawad Wales Robinson

• Like 2

7LvWjxt.png

What I love, and what is most noticeable week after week, is that the Melbourne listed players generally have high tackling numbers when playing at Casey. Even if they don 't get a lot of the ball, they are obviously putting in and working hard. JKH is a great example - low possession numbers, didn't have a huge impact according to the reviews, but laid 9 tackles.

I'm not too concerned by players like Toumpas, Newton and Riley not getting much of a go at senior level this year. When they have, their shortcomings have been exposed, so they've been given time at Casey to work on these areas, and dare I say it, but actually develop before being expected to perform in the seniors.

The end of season list changes are going to be intriguing.

What I love, and what is most noticeable week after week, is that the Melbourne listed players generally have high tackling numbers when playing at Casey. Even if they don 't get a lot of the ball, they are obviously putting in and working hard. JKH is a great example - low possession numbers, didn't have a huge impact according to the reviews, but laid 9 tackles.

Almost definitely an instruction from the coaches that they wanted him to focus on his tackling pressure last week and not worry so much about getting possessions. We saw the same with Toumpas a few months ago.

Think it's a great way of developing our kids; giving them specific tasks to perfect over a few weeks, rather than expecting the world of them.

For anyone who watched the game how effective was M Jones. 29 possessions, 25 kicks, 13 tackles and 145 DT points.

Not very.

I'm amazed he had those numbers, because I barely noticed him, so didn't have much of an impact for me.

Riley, White, Newton with Fitzpatrick's first half & Spencer's 2nd half were the best for me on the day.

Solid hit out for Salem while King & Terlich were going along ok before their injuries.

Not very.

I'm amazed he had those numbers, because I barely noticed him, so didn't have much of an impact for me.

Riley, White, Newton with Fitzpatrick's first half & Spencer's 2nd half were the best for me on the day.

Solid hit out for Salem while King & Terlich were going along ok before their injuries.

Fair enough. Just thought if he had those numbers, especially the DT points, which I take note of the most because these take into account ineffective disposals, clangers and other negative events during the game.

• Like 1

Fair enough. Just thought if he had those numbers, especially the DT points, which I take note of the most because these take into account ineffective disposals, clangers and other negative events during the game.

No they don't.

DT points are purely on kicks, handballs, marks, tackles and hit outs. They have nothing to do with effective/ineffective disposals and influence on the game.

Supercoach scores do that.

The reason for Jayden Hunt's scratching?

On Missen's report yesterday it was illness - can't remember but maybe gastro

Don't want that in the club room (unless you can infiltrate the opposition a few days pre match)

Not very.

Amazing how we all see the game differently and how we unfairly blacklist certain players. I was there and Toump was as effective as anyone playing that high half forward role in a game in conditions not suited to it. Everyone focussing (rightly) on Salem etc but Toump overlooked. I wonder why? To me he was very effective and played good tough footy. Could he have got more ball? Absolutely, but did very well, as well if not better than some. Salem named 3rd best? He was ok, but not that good.

• Like 1

Amazing how we all see the game differently and how we unfairly blacklist certain players. I was there and Toump was as effective as anyone playing that high half forward role in a game in conditions not suited to it. Everyone focussing (rightly) on Salem etc but Toump overlooked. I wonder why? To me he was very effective and played good tough footy. Could he have got more ball? Absolutely, but did very well, as well if not better than some. Salem named 3rd best? He was ok, but not that good.

Frankly I would rather have seen Toump being re-promoted into the AFL before Michie (notwithstanding Michie's impressive Casey performances). Toump has been a bigger investment and represents more upside to our best (AFL) 22 long-term. I am looking forward to 2016 (already) when, the Toump, Salem and Petracca are all on fire!