Dion Prestia

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

these days it seems the player decides where he wants to go ("preferred club") and then the club to club dealing begins

we need to convince dion we are his "destination club" first 

I agree dc and if his preferred club we hold the upper hand.  But if true that GCS want a top 10 pick in  2016, I was interested how AdamPleb would get one.

Just now, Lucifer's Hero said:

I agree dc and if his preferred club we hold the upper hand.  But if true that GCS want a top 10 pick in  2016, I was interested how AdamPleb would get one.

gcs wanting a top 10 is just ambit dealing. there are 1000's of possible computations. i'm happy to leave it mahoney and co

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If he goes, GCS are said to want a top 10 pick

We can trade one in for 2016.  AF, which player(s) and to who would you trade to get it?  Based on current ladder positions the 2016 picks are:  1.  EFC.  2 Lions.  3 GCS.  4. Freo.  5. GWS (Coll 2015 pick).  6. Carl.  7. StK.  8. Rich.  9.  GCS (Melb 2015 pick).  10. Port

Our 2017 1st rnd pick (hopefully) will not be top 10 pick and the more we improve the less attractive to GCS. 

On a related note, GCS are said to want 2016 pick 1 and are prepared to trade their pick 3 plus 9 (from mfc in 2015) for it.  May well be very attractive to Ess or Lions, especially if they have quiet discussions as to who will go at pick 1 and 3...:ph34r: 

To be perfectly honest, I like him as a player and his potential, but if the price was right, I'd trade Salem.

• Like 2

Just now, AdamPleb said:

To be perfectly honest, I like him as a player and his potential, but if the price was right, I'd trade Salem.

You could say that about most players.  Salem is an important part of our future though, and it would take plenty for us to trade him.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

You could say that about most players.  Salem is an important part of our future though, and it would take plenty for us to trade him.

It would take a Prestia, Crouch, Shiel type to trade Salem, IMO. I reckon we should be trying to trade Prestia for our future first rounder and if Dion wants to come 'home'/MFC, I reckon the Suns will take the deal.

FWIW, I'd like to keep Salem and I hope he gets back on the park next year, but if you could grab Prestia for a first rounder and someone like Crouch or Shiel is on the table, I'd trade to get two young gun mids. It's all about needs and the ceiling of the players we're talking about. Is Salem's ceiling higher than Crouch or Shiel? Would Crouch or Shiel add more to our team than Salem? They'd be the questions our FD would be asking. You have to give up something good in these scenarios. 

11 minutes ago, AdamPleb said:

It would take a Prestia, Crouch, Shiel type to trade Salem, IMO. I reckon we should be trying to trade Prestia for our future first rounder and if Dion wants to come 'home'/MFC, I reckon the Suns will take the deal.

FWIW, I'd like to keep Salem and I hope he gets back on the park next year, but if you could grab Prestia for a first rounder and someone like Crouch or Shiel is on the table, I'd trade to get two young gun mids. It's all about needs and the ceiling of the players we're talking about. Is Salem's ceiling higher than Crouch or Shiel? Would Crouch or Shiel add more to our team than Salem? They'd be the questions our FD would be asking. You have to give up something good in these scenarios. 

Shiel is in a different class to Prestia, and Prestia is a class above Crouch. Shiel would be our best mid if he came, so a trade for Salem is a no-brainer. But Salem offers something that we lack, which is quality ball use out of defence, so I'd baulk at trading him for Prestia or Crouch.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, AdamPleb said:

Shiel is a level above all the rest you listed in your post. He has just gone into the top 15 in the player rankings.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-28/shiels-giant-rise-up-the-player-ratings

GWS wouldn't let him go for anything less than 2 top 10 draft picks.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Night Crawler said:

Shiel is a level above all the rest you listed in your post. He has just gone into the top 15 in the player rankings.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-28/shiels-giant-rise-up-the-player-ratings

GWS wouldn't let him go for anything less than 2 top 10 draft picks.

Yeah, Shiel's a gun. He's been more consistent than all of them.

• Like 2

Sheil is very happy with GWS  and I know this for a cast iron fact!  We have as much hope of getting Prestia as me being Chairman of selectors at the club!! Gee some people are totally delusional on this site!!:blink:

10 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Sheil is very happy with GWS  and I know this for a cast iron fact!  We have as much hope of getting Prestia as me being Chairman of selectors at the club!! Gee some people are totally delusional on this site!!:blink:

No one said we were in the hunt for Shiel. His name was proffered as an example of a player who you'd trade for.

And is that a bit of defence mechanism there, PF? Why aren't we a shot at landing Prestia? We've been close previously and we're a far more desirable destination nowadays.

I agree to a point  BUT the fact still remains when the "Gun" players start negotiating we, for one reason or another always eternally seem to miss out. Reality is that we have not landed One "Gun" A+ Graded player EVER!! EVER!

On 6/27/2016 at 2:02 PM, ProDee said:

I always liked him, but this year his kicking has been off and he seems to have lost that spark from the years you mention, but it could be that he needs another preseason post his knee injury.

I always liked him as a player and I remember the years you're referring to well as he was prolific (and a Melbourne supporting player as a kid, so took notice).

I like my outside players to have a bit of height and be a good mark, but I dare say he'd play both an outside and inside role well.

With Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney, Tyson, Salem, Stretch, Petracca and Jones as a developing midfield I'd like more of a speedster to complement the group. But we may already have him in Hunt, who could be developed into that role.

I'm not against any player, who makes us better, so I'd happily have Prestia, but I think the need for him is less than it was.

OK. Now THAT'S more like it. Good post. Phew. Demonland has a paucity of these, these days.

- I think that's what it is. If I'm completely honest, he's been one of my top keepers that I gave up a pretty price for in a UF league I've been in for 7 years, so I watch him VERY closely. My mail was that he really shoudlnt' have come back this year and that he was gonna be out for a couple of months after surgery. But he stayed in. Watching him in those years, and given his young age, it really does look like a temporary problem. Like Brayshaw's MCL. Having said that, I see your point. If it's an injury that curtails him, then maybe he'll be curtailed 50% of the time, for the rest of his career.

- Yup.

- That's a good point. Embley-style? And yeah, when you watch his games when he's loose, you see 20K 10HB, and a bucketload of marks. Then when he's required inside it's 15-15 split, and 8 tackles. When you watch closely, he just knows both roles.

- Good point. It's a tough midfield to get into. What we have to ask is, is he better than player 22. Or midfielder 8 (whatever the last picked mid is) and can he play multiple roles, say forward or back. And yes, while Hunt is absolutely a flyer... he's only 1. We need more than that.

- Yeah I see what you mean. The whole Hurley, Hibberd, Prestia thing... I had Prestia #1... but now. I take Hurley first. He will cost an arm and a leg, and he's maybe not the best KP defender in the league... but there's not many others. Hibberd might be right next to Prestia in terms of needs, cos he's a superb footballer. And then Prestia is last for the same reason you gave above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

And McDonald's Large Fries

is that   tm McDonalds swyl?   maybe go a Big Mac, if prest?

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If he goes, GCS are said to want a top 10 pick

We can trade one in for 2016.  AF, which player(s) and to who would you trade to get it?  Based on current ladder positions the 2016 picks are:  1.  EFC.  2 Lions.  3 GCS.  4. Freo.  5. GWS (Coll 2015 pick).  6. Carl.  7. StK.  8. Rich.  9.  GCS (Melb 2015 pick).  10. Port

Our 2017 1st rnd pick (hopefully) will not be top 10 pick and the more we improve the less attractive to GCS. 

On a related note, GCS are said to want 2016 pick 1 and are prepared to trade their pick 3 plus 9 (from mfc in 2015) for it.  May well be very attractive to Ess or Lions, especially if they have quiet discussions as to who will go at pick 1 and 3...:ph34r: 

I can here the wheels grinding now.

24 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Gold Coast are as dumb as their players appear to be if they'd rather pick 1 than 3 and 9. Fair dinkum.

They want their cake and eat it, Saber!

They have an Academy gun called Jack Bowes who will go very high in the draft 1 or 2 it seems.  If they keep 3 and 9 they have to use those 'draft points' to get him once another club bids for him.  But with pick 1 they can take the best player (cynical me thinks not the one EFC wants) and then use 'draft points' from their stockpiled high round 2 picks (from 2015 - Rich, Freo, Port and their own 2016 rnd 2 pick) for Jack Bowes and their other Academy players.  So they end up with two of top 3 players!!!

Of course EFC  would be delighted to have 3 and 9!!

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-gold-coast-suns-bombers-in-draft-intrigue-20160624-gpqu4v.html

Cynical me says there is a high risk of draft tampering here. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

Just now, Lucifer's Hero said:

They want their cake and eat it, Saber!

They have an Academy gun called Jack Bowes who will go very high in the draft 1 or 2 it seems.  If they keep 3 and 9 they have to use those 'draft points' to get him once another club bids for him.  But with pick 1 they can take the best player (cynical me thinks not the one EFC wants) and then use 'draft points' from their stockpiled high round 2 picks (from 2015 - Rich, Freo, Port and their own 2016 rnd 2 pick) for Jack Bowes and their other Academy players.  So they end up with two of top 3 players!!!

Of course EFC  would be delighted to have 3 and 9!!

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-gold-coast-suns-bombers-in-draft-intrigue-20160624-gpqu4v.html

Cynical me says there is a high risk of draft tampering here. 

Possibly, but to me it's no different to what we did with the expansion clubs a few years back so they wouldn't bid on Viney.  Clubs will always try and find little loopholes here and there to exploit within the rules, and this seems like one of them.  If they do that deal then fair play to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Picket, with all due respect, honestly, you know what they say about being better to keep your mouth shut and leave people wondering....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Picket, with all due respect, honestly, you know what they say about being better to keep your mouth shut and leave people wondering....

haha brilliant..

I don't know if Prestia is coming or not but if you barracked for Melbourne as a kid and had the choice between Richmond and Melbourne currently. Even if he barracked for Richmond he wouldn't go there. They're decades away. Our biggest problem is GWS and Gold Coast when they get their act together.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

Our first round pick is 27 not much to trade with,we could throw in  GRIMES,TRENGOVE,TERLICH,MINCHIE ETC and get zilch.

Minchie?????? And I wouldn't put Trenners in the deal. 

On 28 June 2016 at 5:00 PM, AdamPleb said:

I think you will find that Salem is one player who will not want to leave Victoria. 

We haven't seen the best of him yet due to illness and I can't see the club entertaining any notion of a trade for him.  

He will hopefully become our next Adem Yze. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Roost It said:

I don't know if Prestia is coming or not but if you barracked for Melbourne as a kid and had the choice between Richmond and Melbourne currently. Even if he barracked for Richmond he wouldn't go there. They're decades away. Our biggest problem is GWS and Gold Coast when they get their act together.

Money talks though

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Money talks though

So he'd go to a club that's clearly learned nothing whatsoever from their BOG average season this year, and the last 3? Their list has achieved absolutely nothing of note, and will never achieve anything of note, less so if you're an overpaid great player surrounded by overpaid downhill skiiers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

So he'd go to a club that's clearly learned nothing whatsoever from their BOG average season this year, and the last 3? Their list has achieved absolutely nothing of note, and will never achieve anything of note, less so if you're an overpaid great player surrounded by overpaid downhill skiiers.

Tell that to Gary Ablett Jnr....

• Like 2