2015 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

Whispering_Jack

Just caught up with yesterday's TAC Cup Future Stars programme and see that Plough has changed his mind about Melbourne's first selection:-

1. Brisbane - Jacob Weitering

2. Gold Coast - Joshua Schache

3. Sydney* - Callum Mills

4. Carlton - Aaron Francis

5. GWS* - Jacob Hopper

6. Melbourne - Darcy Parish

7. Essendon - Darcy Tucker

8. St. Kilda - Charlie Curnow

9. Port Adelaide - Harley Balic

10. GWS* - Matthew Kennedy

11. Geelong - Rhys Mathieson

12. Adelaide - Kieran Collins

13. Brisbane* - Ben Keays

14. North Melbourne - Sam Weideman

15. Collingwood - Ryan Burton

16. Western Bulldogs - Harry McKay

17. Richmond - Riley Bonner

18. Brisbane* - Eric Hipwood

19. Hawthorn - Josh Dunkley

20. West Coast - Kieran Lovell

* Academy bid

• Like 1

And Paige Cardona tweeted her top 10 today ...

1. Brisbane - Joshua Schache

2. Gold Coast - Jacob Weitering

3. Carlton - Aaron Francis

4. Melbourne - Harley Balic

5. Essendon - Darcy Parish

6. St. Kilda - Rhys Mathieson

7. Port Adelaide - Charlie Curnow

8. Geelong - Kieran Collins

9. North Melbourne - Harry McKay

10. Collingwood- Sam Weideman

• Like 2

I think you'll find we will draft a midfielder. Regardless of who drops where. We will draft a midfielder.

With Roos in charge of Sydney, not once did they draft a tall for their first 2 picks in five years.

And in two years here he hasn't done that either.

We'll either get a tall midfielder type or we'll trade to get a ready made player.

Has been Roos' way every year as a head coach. I really can't see him changing his method.

• Like 1

I think you'll find we will draft a midfielder. Regardless of who drops where. We will draft a midfielder.

With Roos in charge of Sydney, not once did they draft a tall for their first 2 picks in five years.

We'll either get a tall midfielder type or we'll trade to get a ready made player.

Has been Roos' way every year as a head coach. I really can't see him changing his method.

He's said all along he drafts mids and trades for talls. It makes complete sense because a young team full of undeveloped talls with garbage mids won't go anywhere, but a young team full of promising midfielders only need the talls to get over the line (look at the Saints, Bulldogs last year, even us now).

We need mids, mids, mids, mids, mids, mids, and more mids. Midfield depth. Midfielders. Mids.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 2

And Paige Cardona tweeted her top 10 today ...

1. Brisbane - Joshua Schache

2. Gold Coast - Jacob Weitering

3. Carlton - Aaron Francis

4. Melbourne - Harley Balic

5. Essendon - Darcy Parish

6. St. Kilda - Rhys Mathieson

7. Port Adelaide - Charlie Curnow

8. Geelong - Kieran Collins

9. North Melbourne - Harry McKay

10. Collingwood- Sam Weideman

from the snippet I saw of Parish, I like the look of him. haven't seen any others I recall.

other than Weideman for around 10 - 13 ish

yes but taking talls early hasn't hurt the premiers to badly.

& Roosy is setting up for Goody's future, so we may. I wouldn't mind trading down a couple of pegs to say 8th spot, & take a young Weide.

yes but taking talls early hasn't hurt the premiers to badly.

& Roosy is setting up for Goody's future, so we may. I wouldn't mind trading down a couple of pegs to say 8th spot, & take a young Weide.

They're lucky they had so many high draft picks though, they picked 2 duds with Dowler and Thorpe too.

On what I’ve seen so far, Parish would be the better fit for us. Does most things well, would provide run and carry and very good disposal.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we went with Balic. He’s a taller midfield/flank type who makes excellent decisions in tight spaces, but he doesn’t look to have a whole lot of breakaway speed (endurance very good, though) and I query kicking penetration. Doesn’t seem to hit long targets as well as other’s. He is competitive and strong overhead, so if we decided to take another inside ball winner at the draft, he’d be my pick. Another tick for Balic is that he invariably becomes one of the more influential players in his team, and seems to embrace that responsibility. Was very good in Metro's narrow win over SA, especially in the last qtr, and has done the same thing a few times now for Sandy.

Edited by ChaserJ

On what I’ve seen so far, Parish would be the better fit for us. Does most things well, would provide run and carry and very good disposal.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we went with Balic. He’s a taller midfield/flank type who makes excellent decisions in tight spaces, but I he doesn’t look to have a whole lot of breakaway speed (endurance very good, though) and I query kicking penetration. Doesn’t seem to hit long targets as well as other’s. He is competitive and strong overhead, so if we decided to take another inside ball winner at the draft, he’d be my pick. Another tick for Balic is that he invariably becomes one of the more influential players in his team, and seems to embrace that responsibility. Was very good in Metro's narrow win over SA, especially in the last qtr, and ahs done the same thing a few times now for Sandy.

Is Parish very quick? IMO a lot of good outside mids at U18 level are really struggling with the contested brand of AFL footy. (i.e. players like Toumpas and Aish). I feel outside players now need to be super quick like Lewis Jetta and the Hill brothers to be high quality AFL players.

• Like 4

Is Parish very quick? IMO a lot of good outside mids at U18 level are really struggling with the contested brand of AFL footy. (i.e. players like Toumpas and Aish). I feel outside players now need to be super quick like Lewis Jetta and the Hill brothers to be high quality AFL players.

Parish is quick, but he's not electric ala Jetta or the Hill's. He more often than not makes the right decision about when to go and when to dispose quickly. Unlike Toumpas and a lesser extent Aish, Parish is more than capable of winning his own ball and has proven he can win the ball in close and make good decisions in traffic. I think he's the best all round midfielder available.

The best of the truly quick outside types are Ah Chee and Milera. Bonner could fit in here too,

• Like 2

Lovett had 5 tackles and 13 touches in TAC last week. Just building and kicking along. 3 marks as well

For a midfielder its unfortunately not good enough.

Personally i think we will overlook him.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we went with Balic. He’s a taller midfield/flank type who makes excellent decisions in tight spaces, but I he doesn’t look to have a whole lot of breakaway speed (endurance very good, though) and I query kicking penetration. Doesn’t seem to hit long targets as well as other’s. He is competitive and strong overhead, so if we decided to take another inside ball winner at the draft, he’d be my pick. Another tick for Balic is that he invariably becomes one of the more influential players in his team, and seems to embrace that responsibility. Was very good in Metro's narrow win over SA, especially in the last qtr, and ahs done the same thing a few times now for Sandy.

I think on current picks over the last few years we will go Balic, bigger mid and the endurance/inside ability will give them something to work with. I don't think Parish's pace is electric enough to sway the decision, good player and I like him but I think we are building a strong midfield and the outside run will be the polish added later

• Like 1

I think on current picks over the last few years we will go Balic, bigger mid and the endurance/inside ability will give them something to work with. I don't think Parish's pace is electric enough to sway the decision, good player and I like him but I think we are building a strong midfield and the outside run will be the polish added later

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the club went that way, and Balic ticks enough boxes (Decision making under pressure, competitiveness, skill, endurance, leadership) for me to be very comfortable if this happens.

Like Brayshaw before him, I expect Roosy would have seen enough of Tyler Roos teammate to have a meaningful input to the recruiting teams decision.

I am living for the day when this type of thread is discussing the best talent around at pick 12.

Personally I am hanging out for when it is discussing what is left at pick 18 ... :lol:

I like Parish's overall game more than Jimmy's.

Who do you like?

Underwhelmed.

I like Francis, but most years he'd be on the edge of the top 10, this year he's out of our reach.

Weitering is blue chip.

Balic or Curnow for mine.

• Like 1

Underwhelmed.

I like Francis, but most years he'd be on the edge of the top 10, this year he's out of our reach.

Weitering is blue chip.

Balic or Curnow for mine.

Fair enough. I do like all the players you've named.

The limited viewing I've had of Curnow was very exciting. Hope he get's back to play some footy before the combine.